• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a big fan of subscription services, but I make an exception for Spotify. It is worth every penny. I work in an open office and there is a lot of visual and auditory distraction. When I put on headphones, I find it easier to concentrate and the day also goes by quicker too.

My coworkers are also less likely to bother me and take me out of the "flow".

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I work retail so my auditory experience is limited to whatever YouTube playlist corporate cooks up.

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I got a pair of noise cancelling headphones and they make a world of difference. I hate open plan offices.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I don't really think we're allowed to play music. The woman who works admin played Pandora for like three weeks close to when I started but they just stopped because idk, I guess the bosses didn't like it or she couldn't find enough good music. I also don't think it would be good in a lot of situations because there's a lot of collaboration and asking questions going on that usually involves me, if I had headphones I wouldn't hear any of it.

To be honest, getting to listen to music is one of the things I have to look forward to when I leave work.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I don't often get the chance to listen to music at work, but when I do I make sure it's the most aggressive, brutal music I can find. Usually while I'm butchering something.

marcinaldo

Oct 28, 2017
Dev here, listening to music most of the day when possible.

I wish I was able to do this, but for some reason my brain works in this strange way that if I listen to something, I just can't focus and make more mistakes :( Even if it's just some relaxing music without lyrics. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it? I would like to listen to more music in my life but outside of work I usually don't have time for it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Essential. Most of my worktime is spent with my headphones on.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Music is HUGELY important for me, I have all of my albums loaded up on my computer since most of the music I like can't be found on Spotify and such.

I can't always be completely plugged in since someone might call my name or something but... If I can't listen to a bit of Tatsuro Yamashita whilst at my desk, then I'm sad.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Very, BUT it needs to be not radio. The radio compression gives me a headache and i hate ads.
Without it i would go crazy. I need something to keep my mind stimulated otherwise the repetitiveness of the day would start to annoy me.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I was able to do this, but for some reason my brain works in this strange way that if I listen to something, I just can't focus and make more mistakes :( Even if it's just some relaxing music without lyrics. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it? I would like to listen to more music in my life but outside of work I usually don't have time for it.

I love music, I mostly could listen to it 24h/7.

As for work, listening to music is good to drown out all the casual talk or telephone talk that might occur in the background in the office. I often don't actively listen to the music, but its rather something that is in the background and fits my mood (could be anything from death metal to classical music in the form of movie soundtracks like Interstellar). It actually helps me concentrating.

One thing I try to avoid is listening to records I've been really waiting for, for the first time(s) at work. This can be distracting as my mind starts to focus more on the lyrics.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Dev here, listening to music most of the day when possible.

Same. Can't work without earphones. It's highly impossible otherwise.

It's usually music but can also be random stuff on youtube (let's plays, people playing D&D, talk shows, whatever... I just don't want to hear what is happening in the open-space.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All day every day. Since getting my own office I can play whatever I want, my musical education has really come along these past few years.

earphone in 1 ear all day.
Pumping spotify.

Free subscription.
Skipable ads..

Feels good.

I did the one headphone thing for seven years at an old job, I really think that it's damaged the hearing in my headphone ear. Very odd.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Unless I'm in a meeting or discussing something with my boss/colleagues, I've always got my earphones plugged in. I even used to study with music playing in the background when I was in college so it's a pretty old habit.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
All day every day. Since getting my own office I can play whatever I want, my musical education has really come along these past few years.

I did the one headphone thing for seven years at an old job, I really think that it's damaged the hearing in my headphone ear. Very odd.
Hoping my hearing doesn't deteriorate lol I have the volume fairly lowish

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Can't listen to music at work but I wouldn't be able to get through the bus commute without it.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
I need it- I can't stand the 'quality bants' about football going on every 10 minutes while I'm trying to focus. Shhhhhthefuckup.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
Music is too distracting for me. Somehow, podcasts distract me less so that's what I listen to.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Music is important to me in general too, but yeah, essential for work. Lots of background noise in the office that often fucks me up when I'm trying to focus on a difficulty problem. Sometimes I just put my noise-cancelling headphones on without any music if I want as much silence as possible though lol.

Yung Kyubii

Banned
May 12, 2018
What headphones do you guys recommend for work? I'd spend around $50 if it isn't necessary to go beyond that price point.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly need music if there's a public radio on. I need to drown that stuff out as I get highly irritated hearing the same 10 songs for months.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Not if I'm moving around a lot or need to concentrate. If I'm doing a repetitive menial task I can work much faster with music on, but managers like to complain that means you're slacking so I don't get to do that anymore. Jokes on them, I get paid the same to be less productive.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Not really.
But i sometimes like to work with music. But only when the concept and thinking phase is over.
So i work mostly without music actually. It can be distracting but it can also be motivating when it's just production work.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I have Spotify and a job where I can listen to music for most of the shift, but I'm just super bored with music. I have really limited taste and have listened to everything I like too many times. So I just listen to podcasts instead until one of the 5 bands I like puts out a new album.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
When I am in the office and I have my headphones on, people know to leave me alone because I am "in the zone", which is my highly productive state. It is very importatnt for me to be able to shut out and rock out.

I've been listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks and watching movies/TV shows while working for over 15 years. My music use at one time was the vast majority of my media intake, but now it is probably the least. I subscribe to no services and sometimes picking what I want to listen to can take far too long!

Sadire

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not really allowed to isolate myself in a way that would allow for me to use ear/headphones. I try to bend the rules here and there, but my focus is all over the place regardless.

I wouldn't be able to commute comfortably without music around though.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. I work in a warehouse with too many people around me operating heavy machinery. Plenty of folks run with one bud in, but I prefer not to take chances. Absolutely on the commute though.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, in a sense. I mostly stick to podcasts at work, but music is a vital part of my morning commute and relaxing when I get home -- especially from long & stressful days.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Extremely. Jobs where I wasn't able to have iTunes on my terminal and listen to my music during the workday dragged on infinitely longer.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Since I work in a factory, I spend nearly all the workday from start to finish with headphones on (noise-canceling ones). They've a radio built into them as well, so I'll either use that or use the bluetooth to connect to my phone for Spotify.

It's pretty essential.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Sometimes I need to get in the zone and I just get on mixcloud... Plug in me earbuds and get on with it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yes. Most days there's a radio playing, mostly for background noise, because I don't like working in silence for hours.

On days I'm there by myself I'll bring in my own music or sometimes a podcast.