• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I guess I will try it with horizon tonight. Maybe if I turn down the interpolation and not have it set to full it will make it a bit smoother and the input lag wont be so unbearable.

MisterBear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The biggest thing people yell at me about is I am addicted to Motion Interpolation on my TV.

It's just something that if you get used to, it's hard to go back. Although lately on my new OLED I've been using Game Mode which has it turned off by default, because input lag drives me crazy.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Oh hell no. Motion interpolation adds input lag because it needs to compare two frames of render before it can compute an in-between frame. Input lag = no go. Fuck that.

Edit: Results available on RTINGS.com show that enabling motion interpolation adds around anywhere from 70ms to 110ms of input lag to most TVs. A TV with only 11.5ms of input lag suddenly has over 134.2.ms of input lag. How anyone can game with this kind of bullshit is beyond me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elysiums

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Oh hell no. Motion interpolation adds input lag because it needs to compare two frames of render before it can compute an in-between frame. Input lag = no go. Fuck that.

Edit: Results available on RTINGS.com show that enabling motion interpolation adds around anywhere from 70ms to 110ms of input lag to most TVs. A TV with only 11.5ms of input lag suddenly has over 134.2.ms of input lag. How anyone can game with this kind of bullshit is beyond me.

Of course this is recommended on a TV with low imput lag with Interpolation on.

Why speak like is always over 100 ms? Go back to Rtings and check the table here

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

Samsung Q6FN get 21.3 ms with Interpolation on and many other tv's get lower than 30 ms.

Check your info before posting.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
It's not really a processing cost problem - Oculus specifically shipped a version of motion-interpolation to allow low-end GPUs double up framerate to 90hz from 45 target. Their approach was oddly enough black-box based (not using motion vector information to improve results - even when though developers asked them for it), and doesn't increase latency in any meaningful way, the latter showing just how poor a job TV manufacturers are doing.

That being said - what's less known is the fact that last gen (on PS3/360) several games shipped using simulation interpolation instead, where games would only Render 60hz, but run everything else in the game at 30hz, and noone was ever the wiser for it(the games in question are considered 60hz, like every other). Among other things, shows just how much of a manufactured "limit" CPU performance is when it comes to logic simulation (AI, Physics and everything else).

That is very impressive fro oculus, I had no idea. Still wish it was engine level to see what's possible though :p

And yeah there's a complex relationship between logic and visual tick rates, even developers often seem to lack an understanding of it in their own games as I've seen many times with unity games mismatching camera motion on physics ticks that cause judder etc. even in my own game we had issues at higher (ie 144hz) framerates due to positioning being done on physics tick which looked fine at 60 so we ended up interpolating our data to make everything smooth regardless of eventual visual update so I can imagine how it'd work to do that for 30>60 transitions.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't PSVR have something like this? I imagine it doesn't have input lag, otherwise it would be impossible to use the headset.

I wonder if they can implement it in PS5. They're already doing checkerboard rendering, it would be incredible if they could make smoother games without the cost of a true 60 FPS.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017

Look at this at 2:09 and tell me which Horizon looks better.

I don't know what the input lag is like, but no one can reasonably say that the footage on the right looks better than the one on the left.

Of course, if the input lag is as bad as people say then that's plenty of reason to not use it in and of itself. But there's no arguing with which one looks nicer on video.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
There's like 5 frames between these two shots.

Feeekkk no.

u53In5J.png

Last edited:

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I found it to be near perfect was when I locked The Vanishing of Ethan Carter to ~4K at 30fps (or any first person adventure like Edith Finch, Firewatch, etc.), and it gave the illusion of a better frame rate (with motion blur off, otherwise it's all a mess). Near perfect because looking down would lead to artifacts with leaves, textures and whatnot. The added input lag doesn't matter for such a slow experience where the point is to look and wonder.

I have the same TV as OP and I've tried playing like that for games like Arkham Knight in 1440p 30fps where a steady 60fps wasn't going to happen, but I had to train my mind to disregard the input lag and artifacts with camera movements.

So I think there's room for that kind of technology in gaming if it evolves to address the issues I described above. The software has to be ready for it, too, with an option to disable motion blur that we don't often see on consoles. It also needs a locked framerate or the drops will be super distracting (don't try it on Bloodborne with its frame pacing issues :S).

The industry is trying to get closer to 4K without natively rendering it, why wouldn't they explore ways of doing the same thing with 60fps, eh. Right now it's just not there yet.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Motion interpolation looks so, so bad. But I've never seen it on a game. Cant imagine it looks any better than hammered dogshit.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Interpolation had looked Good for me in games that have a solid 30 fps. Though I turned it off most of the time since I play NBA 2k and CoD games which required consistent and fast timing. Plus it's no longer an option now that I game on a monitor. But it didn't bother me and I preferred it in single player games.

OP
OP
Elysiums

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Interpolation had looked Good for me in games that have a solid 30 fps. Though I turned it off most of the time since I play NBA 2k and CoD games which required consistent and fast timing. Plus it's no longer an option now that I game on a monitor. But it didn't bother me and I preferred it in single player games.

This is the key.. framepacing must be perfect at 30 fps to make this look good.

Only 55 ms on the video above and games look so smooth.

Aesthetic

Nov 6, 2017
Texas, USA
I played breath of the wild like that perfectly fine on my 4K LG. The LG, when not in game mode, made the picture much clearer as well. I had forgotten how the game really looked when I switched back to Game mode. Also played Odyssey that way for most of the campaign. I do have the Switch back to Game mode on the TV though. Was just cool at the time. "60fps" BoTW was really nice.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017

This is a random example I found in youtube.

I know you can't use this on competitive games ( like Fifa, Fighting Games etc ) because of the extra imput lag.. but on adventure or rpg games like Horizon Zero Dawn.. GTA 5.. Spiderman.. God of War.. etc of course you get more imput lag but is totally playable.

I have a x900e Bravia TV and I finished Spiderman.. Horizon.. God of War and other 30 fps games with Motion Interpolation on.. it's totally playable you can dodge etc and the game looks incredible at 120 hz.

I'm a pc gamer and I'm used to play a 120 hz on my pc monitor so doing this make games at 30 fps a joy to play.

Anyone else plays adventure/rpg games like this?

OP you're the best ever finally someone who understands this amazing feature and won't just dismiss it automatically just because of extra lag or slight blurs around edges of things.

This feature is probably the best thing in tvs in the last ten years. It makes 30fps games look like 60fps pc games. Sure there's a little extra lag but it's perfectly playable.

I play most single player games that are 30fps that don't require exact timings with this ON and they look amazing. I beat Horizon, Uncharted, Spiderman and Witcher on PS4 and countless others from current gen and last gen in this mode. It's great, DQXI looks soooo smooth when the enemies animate or you running around in the beautiful world with motion interpolation set to on.

Obviously I turn this off if the game is already in 60fps or close enough as it doesn't add much after 60fps but all 30fps games that aren't competitive or twitchy I highly recommend this feature. Dragon Age Inquisition looked very nice in it too.

Even emulated PS1\2 games that originally tan in 3fps like Vagrant Story or Grandia 3 look very nice with the extra frame rate.

OP
OP
Elysiums

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
OP you're the best ever finally someone who understands this amazing feature and won't just dismiss it automatically just because of extra lag or slight blurs around edges of things.

This feature is probably the best thing in tvs in the last ten years. It makes 30fps games look like 60fps pc games. Sure there's a little extra lag but it's perfectly playable.

I play most single player games that are 30fps that don't require exact timings with this ON and they look amazing. I beat Horizon, Uncharted, Spiderman and Witcher on PS4 and countless others from current gen and last gen in this mode. It's great, DQXI looks soooo smooth when the enemies animate or you running around in the beautiful world with motion interpolation set to on.

Obviously I turn this off if the game is already in 60fps or close enough as it doesn't add much after 60fps but all 30fps games that aren't competitive or twitchy I highly recommend this feature. Dragon Age Inquisition looked very nice in it too.

Even emulated PS1\2 games that originally tan in 3fps like Vagrant Story or Grandia 3 look very nice with the extra frame rate.

And this works on PC games also.. you take a 60 fps game and turns it into a 120 fps games on 120 hz. Looks incredible in motion.

I'm playing AC Origins like that at 1440p maxed out interpolated to 120 fps 120 hz.. moving the camera is heaven.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
As often with some of you it's hyperbole or nothing right ? if you really cared about input lag you wouldn't play on tv to begin with.

Thank for remind me this option, I should try it with my new tv and computer when I come back home.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Doesn't PSVR have something like this? I imagine it doesn't have input lag, otherwise it would be impossible to use the headset.

I wonder if they can implement it in PS5. They're already doing checkerboard rendering, it would be incredible if they could make smoother games without the cost of a true 60 FPS.

Kinda

it altually nudges the whole image in a particuarly direction to better fit in with the next frame that is coming, so that the game feels more responsive.

OP
OP
Elysiums

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
If people is worried about imput lag.. on the second video in the OP that tv is only 55 ms with interpolation on.. games look amazingly smooth compared to normal 30 fps.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
And this works on PC games also.. you take a 60 fps game and turns it into a 120 fps games on 120 hz. Looks incredible in motion.

I'm playing AC Origins like that at 1440p maxed out interpolated to 120 fps 120 hz.. moving the camera is heaven.

Yeah I beat Origins with this and it made it run like a smooth PC experience with the latest graphics card or something. I always have it off on 60fps games though and obviously when watching video as it gives the soap opera effect or 2D platform games that require precise controls ( these are almost always 60fps anyway) but console games that run at 30fps and emulation on pc where it originally ran at 30fps like ps1 or 2 games this mode gives them a next gen enhanced look.

Put it this way, when you rotate the camera on a 30fps game without interpolation and set to game mode the background looks blurry and jerky as hell you can't make anything out unless you rotate really slowly and it's jerkier anyway because it's 30fps. With interpolation on it gives the background a silky smooth look where it's no longer blurry and you can see everything clearly.

It's a good trade off in input latency if I can get games to look like that. I'm using a KS8000 btw, I want my games to look nice not look like ass. The input latency is hardly a big enough issue with the benefits this brings.

OP
OP
Elysiums

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Yeah I beat Origins with this and it made it run like a smooth PC experience with the latest graphics card or something. I always have it off on 60fps games though and obviously when watching video as it gives the soap opera effect or 2D platform games that require precise controls ( these are almost always 60fps anyway) but console games that run at 30fps and emulation on pc where it originally ran at 30fps like ps1 or 2 games this mode gives them a next gen enhanced look.

Put it this way, when you rotate the camera on a 30fps game the background looks blurry and jerky as hell you can't make anything out unless you rotate really slowly and it's jerkier anyway because it's 30fps. With interpolation on it gives the background a silky smooth look where it's no longer blurry and you can see everything clearly.

It's a good trade off in input latency if I can get games to look like that. I'm using a KS8000 btw, I want my games to look nice not look like ass. The input latency is hardly a big enough issue with the benefits this brings.

Exactly.. of course you need a capable tv for this but is incredible how smooth games are.

I just did 100% on Spiderman plat also from start to finish with interpolation on.

Try this on games like Dragon Quest 11 and you will see what we are talking about. Is amazing to see DQ11 running this smooth on console and since it's a turn based game imput lag is not a problem if you are really sensitive to it.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.. of course you need a capable tv for this but is incredible how smooth games are.

I just did 100% on Spiderman plat also from start to finish with interpolation on.

Try this on games like Dragon Quest 11 and you will see what we are talking about. Is amazing to see DQ11 running this smooth on console and since it's a turn based game imput lag is not a problem if you are really sensitive to it.
Yeah on DQ11 this looks amazing. Basically any graphically impressive game that runs at a locked 30fps this mode will blow your socks off. Uncharted, Detroit all look and move as if they're 60fps games and look beautiful in motion.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Motion Interpolation is godawful and the input lag makes games unplayable. I played on a TV once with it on and I was like "what the hell is wrong with this TV", makes the game feel like molasses.

OP
OP
Elysiums

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
If the game is not 60FPS, then I'm not going to deal with "60FPS sometimes except for like high-motion scenes and also whenever the interpolater feels like crapping out for a moment". The inconsistency of it is awful.

I've never found any inconsistency in the interpolation. Try using a better tv.

I've found a few inconsistencies but is like 1% of the time. Depends alot on the quality of the TV.

For example on really really fast camera movments in a few moments the effect can look off but goes back to interpolation in a matter of miliseconds.

The technology is still evolving but look at the Philips TV in the OP. Only 55 ms and every game looks fantastic with interpolation. Is hard to go back to 30 fps after playing like that.

OP
OP
Elysiums

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Motion Interpolation is godawful and the input lag makes games unplayable. I played on a TV once with it on and I was like "what the hell is wrong with this TV", makes the game feel like molasses.

Well.. check the video.. Philips tv 50 ms and camera motion is 100% better compared to normal 30 fps. Don't judge interpolation only because you tried it on a low end tv or in one with a bad implementation.

Oct 28, 2017
If the game is not 60FPS, then I'm not going to deal with "60FPS sometimes except for like high-motion scenes and also whenever the interpolater feels like crapping out for a moment". The inconsistency of it is awful.

I don't know if the input lag or abhorrent artifacting is worse, but judging by people in this thread not caring about the former, I doubt they'd even be perceptive enough to notice the latter anyway.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well.. check the video.. Philips tv 50 ms and camera motion is 100% better compared to normal 30 fps. Don't judge interpolation only because you tried it on a low end tv or in one with a bad implementation.

I normally play with like 1-5ms of lag. I don't actually know how the hell you can play a game at 50ms, that's more than 3 frames of input lag at 60fps.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I've found a few inconsistencies but is like 1% of the time. Depends alot on the quality of the TV.

For example on really really fast camera movments in a few moments the effect can look off but goes back to interpolation in a matter of miliseconds.

The technology is still evolving but look at the Philips TV in the OP. Only 55 ms and every game looks fantastic with interpolation. Is hard to go back to 30 fps after playing like that.
Yeah after you go back to 30fps on game mode without interpolation it really bites and is apparent how much it benefits with interpolation on. Makes the game look like last gen again when it's set to off and you wonder why you put up with it looking so bad.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Then don't post stuff like this.. we are talking about playing on a TV. 99% of the people use a TV for console gaming.

I have a 120 hz monitor also and I know how smooth gaming looks.

Apparently you don't care though if the blatant smearing and input lag of motion interpolation doesn't make you turn it off.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the only way to capture it.. but trust me in real time looks even better.
And do they cover the added input lag? Because I can tell you, it's quite a bit. Even on the best set. It doesn't matter that it smooths frames, if it inhibits fast pace play where timing is important. Sure is it in turn based games, or puzzle titles where you don't need hair trigger accuracy, but a lot of games do.

And as someone else said, it doesn't improve motion clarity, it often makes it worse.

OP
OP
Elysiums

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
And do they cover the added input lag? Because I can tell you, it's quite a bit.

55 ms is quite close to the regular latency of every tv. They are usually between 25 and 35 ms the good ones.

Playing at 55 ms is perfectly doable on Single player games.. RPG's.. etc.

Don't play FIFA or Shooters with this of course.