• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
My favorite podcast The Weekly Planet has a weekly series on YouTube called Caravan of Garbage. This week they cover the first Mortal Kombat movie and it made me laugh pretty hard, especially the segment about the theme song.

They also, of course, ponder if it's still the best game movie and how well it holds up today.

Not gonna lie, I totally forgot that they made Scorpion's weapon into a sentient dragon that dies when it splats on a tree.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
In a post Silent Hill, Sonic, and Detective Pikachu world I would say no. But it's still a fun time especially for being one of the first big VG adaptations, it's aged remarkably well.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I think Sonic took it for me (and before that, Detective Pikachu) although there is something to the sheer ridiculousness of the MK movie.

I also have a soft spot for Postal, which is by far the most faithful videogame movie.

Oct 25, 2017
I personally prefer the Super Mario Bros. movie as well as Sonic. I guess this would be 3rd. I did not like Detective Pikachu at all.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
When I was in university, as an exercise for myself, I did a rewrite of the script for this. Not to like just fanfic insert a bunch of lore, but as an editorial exercise to refocus and reframe beats that felt under-served. It was basically entirely motivated by how bothered I was by how dirty Sonya is done by turning her from Special Forces fighter into total damsel, entirely off-screen.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
It never was, because nobody ever considers Takashi Miike's Ace Attorney.

ace_attorney.jpg

Well, I guess it was until 2012 lol. Mortal Kombat is still clearly the best American game movie by a mile though!

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that ship sailed last year for sure when Sonic The Hedgehog wasn't a trainwreck.

But as someone said, Gyakuten Saiban always was. Even if it has some pacing issues.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No way. MK Is not even a good movie period.

Look, I loved the movie and it's a huge part of my childhood, but other than the music and a couple of fight scenes (Reptile vs Kang yooo) the movie fucking sucks, as a movie and as a video game movie. Everything that Anderson directs is garbage, he is Owe Boll tier if not less, because with Owe you at least laugh a little.

The best VG movie today is Sonic.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I was in university, as an exercise for myself, I did a rewrite of the script for this. Not to like just fanfic insert a bunch of lore, but as an editorial exercise to refocus and reframe beats that felt under-served. It was basically entirely motivated by how bothered I was by how dirty Sonya is done by turning her from Special Forces fighter into total damsel, entirely off-screen.
They did have more in mind for Sonya, but had to adapt things after the original actress (Cameron Diaz) got an accident and they had to replace her with Bridgette Wilson who had way less fighting training

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's maybe the best "movie based on a videogame".

Probably not the best "movie about videogames", since I think The Wizard and Wreck-It Ralph are better.

Is the CG Mario movie still happening? That will probably be the one to beat.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
No way. MK Is not even a good movie period.

Look, I loved the movie and it's a huge part of my childhood, but other than the music and a couple of fight scenes (Reptile vs Kang yooo) the movie fucking sucks, as a movie and as a video game movie. Everything that Anderson directs is garbage, he is Owe Boll tier if not less, because with Owe you at least laugh a little.

The best VG movie today is Sonic.

There's nothing redeeming about any Uwe Boll video game adaption. Alone in the Dark is quite possibly the worst movie ever made (I flip flop between that and MK:Annihilation)

At least with MK, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter you get a decent budget and actors who carry a shitty script (dungeon siege being the ONE Uwe Boll exception where you could argue a film on par with anything anderson has made if for no other reason Statham and Liotta ham the shit out of it)

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I always really liked Scott Pilgrim, though I only saw it once, and I think it has a few problematic elements.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Probably the most fun to watch for sure.

I enjoyed Prince of Persia a lot. It's not an incredible movie but it's fun in the same way that movies like The Mummy and National Treasure are fun. They don't make enough movies like that anymore. The first Hitman movie was also enjoyable for me but I'm a fan of Timothy Olyphant.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
At least with MK, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter you get a decent budget and actors who carry a shitty script (dungeon siege being the ONE Uwe Boll exception where you could argue a film on par with anything anderson has made if for no other reason Statham and Liotta ham the shit out
of it)

Duuude, Milla Jovovich carrying a shitty script? That other racist actress who played Claire?

In the words of the scholar George Lopez: " Brandon What the fuck "

Oct 28, 2017
California
Nope, best video game movie will always be Street Fighter.

I always laugh my ass off when watching it, and Raul Julia did an amazing job, and who can forget one of the most memorable and quotable lines in cinematic history

tenor.gif

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I watched Sonic expecting it to dumb fun and wound up actually enjoying it. If the sequel leaves earth it could be even better.

Detective Pikachu was good too, but had some weird wonky-ness towards the end, like they just cut out a whole sequence and forgot about it.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I think Detective Pikachu is the best video game movie.

But Mortal Kombat is the most enjoyabl/entertaining.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
They did have more in mind for Sonya, but had to adapt things after the original actress (Cameron Diaz) got an accident and they had to replace her with Bridgette Wilson who had way less fighting training
I know that Jade was planned to be in as another fight or whatever, but because we don't really have any real grasp as to what capacity that existed in, I kept it off the table for myself.

The main thing for me was that Liu Kang and Sonya were essentially on the same journey. Both on revenge quests, with Raiden basically saying get over yourself. If there is a recurring element in the actual movie, it's about the control you take of your own life. Sub-Zero and Scorpion are literally said to have an absence of it - "slaves under my power." Johnny is the one who takes the stand to say "this is our fight," and Raiden takes a moment for himself to celebrate this.

So for Sonya, yeah, she takes down Kano, but she doesn't come away with any peace from it. Liu sees that, and kinda starts to question his own quest and how his grief and guilt are driving him to a fight he won't find quell his own pain. But Sonya? During that Goro fight, she sees a familiar face out of the corner of her eye - Kano still walking about. And without hesitation she goes after him, only for it to be Shang Tsung literally baiting her into a fight that she can't win.

The point was moreso to find threads within the movie, and see how to develop that into a more consistent and visible throughline without just writing a different thing entirely.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
There have recently been better video game adaptions.

In particular Sonic is the most solid of them. Very much a derivative modern kids film but a good modern kids film that you could watch without knowing anything about Sonic and relatively have a good time.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Nope, best video game movie will always be Street Fighter.

I always laugh my ass off when watching it, and Raul Julia did an amazing job, and who can forget one of the most memorable and quotable lines in cinematic history

tenor.gif

I'm gonna geet on my boaht, go up that Reeevur, and keek, that sonuvabitch Bison's ass SO HARHRD, that the next Bison wannabe is gonnafeelit. Now who wants to go Hohm... and who wants to COME WITH ME?!

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
TRON is totally a videogame movie and is totally the best one that isn't Mortal Kombat

or Super Mario Bros

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the MK movie and it will always have a place in my heart even if it doesn't really hold up anymore. I've always used it as an example of proof that a video game movie could work and the reasons it doesn't hold up (which basically come down to it being a product of it's time) have nothing to do with the fact it's a video game adaptation. So all that said, I personally think Detective Pikachu has taken the throne for best video game movie adaptation and I was one of the people that was annoyed they were doing that first instead of a more straightforward Pokemon adaptation (which I think could still be awesome). I'm not even really a Pokemon fan. Before that, I would have given it to Warcraft which is probably an unpopular opinion but I enjoyed it despite, again, not really being a fan of Warcraft or WoW.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I really loved the MK movie and it will always have a place in my heart even if it doesn't really hold up anymore. I've always used it as an example of proof that a video game movie could work and the reasons it doesn't hold up (which basically come down to it being a product of it's time) have nothing to do with the fact it's a video game adaptation. So all that said, I personally think Detective Pikachu has taken the throne for best video game movie adaptation and I was one of the people that was annoyed they were doing that first instead of a more straightforward Pokemon adaptation (which I think could still be awesome). I'm not even really a Pokemon fan. Before that, I would have given it to Warcraft which is probably an unpopular opinion but I enjoyed it despite, again, not really being a fan of Warcraft or WoW.
I think another point of Detective Pikachu is that its setting avoids getting too deep into the weird master/Pokemon dynamic of the series. The underground fighting tournament is seen as something kinda gross and wrong, so starting a film series introducing this whole thing and celebrating that element might come off negatively

Nov 13, 2017
I love them but their takes recently have been totally off the mark. MK is still the best VG movie and just a wonderful time capsule of the 90s.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think another point of Detective Pikachu is that its setting avoids getting too deep into the weird master/Pokemon dynamic of the series. The underground fighting tournament is seen as something kinda gross and wrong, so starting a film series introducing this whole thing and celebrating that element might come off negatively
Yeah, and I can see that point. It's a bit odd though when literally every other form of Pokemon media outside of Snap seems to have no problem with it. I'm guessing the live action might make it too "real" though.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it recently and was surprised by how much I still enjoyed it. It's fun, has some surprisingly solid performances and is a legit good martial arts movie.