• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Morgana is indead the worst. My biggest problem with him though is the constant "Lady Ann". Someone should have pulled him aside early on to put a stop to that.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Had no idea people had such seething rage towards Morgana lol. Like, I can't say that I really LIKE Morgana, and the arc where he left the party sucked, but I'd take him over Teddie in a heartbeat. That was one of the most insufferable characters I've ever seen.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the end, Koromaru was easily the best mascot character. Because he couldn't fucking speak.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
They all fucking suck, actually.

Ken fucking suck but at least Koromaru doesn't speak, Aegis is ... Aegis.
Yosukke fucking suck, he is Morgana before Morgana, come bonus with being a homophobic too, and thank God Atlus doesn't go through with him being gay, we almost have to deal with the trope of repressed homosexuality lash out, Teddy fucking suck.

Morgana suck because of his interaction with Ann, Ruyji and that painter guy suck even more also because of their creepiness toward Ann. Like dude, we literally go through an arc in the first case.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Things I'm learning from this thread is don't let little things like
murdering your potential partner's father
stand in the way of your ship.

Should we start shipping Akechi with Futaba too while we're at it?

In Haru's case killing her dad was probably a favour, considering how vile he was. Basically giving up your daughter to a person you know is a sexual predator and sleazeball pretty much crosses the line.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Basically because plot, and that whole part of the game being a little clumsily handled. Atlus was just trying to do the typical "Group of heroes/thieves/etc. has internal strife around halfway through the story and nearly ends up breaking apart, but they realize they need each other and stay together to accomplish their goals" plot arc. It's a huge genre trope, especially in 'heist team' stories, which is probably why Atlus tried to do it. So they ramped up the internal discord between Ryuji and Morgana for a while beforehand, and Morgana's feelings of being useless and no longer relevant. You can really see the crumbs Atlus was trying to seed on a replay.

The problem is, even though Atlus tried to foreshadow it, it still comes across as a little forced and clumsy. There's a reason it's most peoples least favorite part of the game.

That said, it's really not as bad as I remember it, either. When I replayed the game for Royal it was a much shorter sequence than I remembered, and it's all over fairly quickly.

I wished it could've been handled with more finess. Really, that entire arc was pretty insufferable and had me wanting to strangle those two, despite the fact I like Ryuji and Morgana most of the time otherwise. It didn't help Morgana's "return" had stolen Haru's introduction/arc away from her at the time. Most players refer to her as the girl with the massive forehead (which isn't even big to begin with), and not a lot of players would utilize her or bother with leveling her Confident.

Had no idea people had such seething rage towards Morgana lol. Like, I can't say that I really LIKE Morgana, and the arc where he left the party sucked, but I'd take him over Teddie in a heartbeat. That was one of the most insufferable characters I've ever seen.

Really, I would take Koromaru or Morgana over an icky bear who unrelentingly hits on women like a tambourine. I've never been a fan of the perverted flirt archetype in JRPG's, and Teddie truly sucks the tension out of any scene he's in.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
I mean that's kind of the point of that sequence, but yes people that dish it but can't take it in return are the worst, and I don't think Morgana has a scene that completely redeems him from prick status to be honest.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's not even that much of a stretch. I'm not even talking the possibility of him being closeted. Narukami and Yosuke literally call each other by their first name. They're that close. It's not really a stretch to consider the possibility that there's something going on there.

The idea, that in a game like a Persona 4, a game who's theme is accepting a part of you you wouldn't want to admit he's possibly homosexual.

Look, I'm not really that interested in the rabbit hole of fan theories. My point is that you and MinusTydus both stated as fact that Yosuke was at some point written as gay, then rewritten not to be:
Maybe you're thinking of Yosuke from P4, who was supposed to be gay but Atlus chickened out and just left him as a gigantic homophobe.
Yosuke is the one who was meant to be gay but they wrote it out at the last minute.

There is absolutely no proof of any the above whatsoever. Don't go around spreading misinformation, that's all I'm saying.

Don't get mad at the writers for 'backpeddling' something that wasn't there to begin with? That's my problem, getting mad at something that was never there.

The irony of saying "there was nothing there" with regards to Kanji and his bait and switch, right after pushing "Yosuke was definitely gay but they changed it" as fact, is so deafening I can feel my eardrums bleeding. Unlike you, I'm not interpreting anything. Kanji thinks he may be gay. His friends think he may be gay. That's not fan theory, that's literally the game's very own dialogue. That he ends up not being gay is a fact, but so is that in-game characters, including himself, textually express the belief, at multiple points in the game, that he's gay.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
First of all as someone who has yet to play P5 and has gone on a complete blackout until I play it, I want to know why the fuck are you putting spoilers in the subject title??? I don't know who or what these characters are, and I DON'T WANT TO KNOW until I play the game! Please keep names and other things that take place in the game in the actual thread and not in the title....thank you! Geesh.

This is becoming is a seriously bad habit here in Resetera. Happens far too much especially in the Etcetera forums where people are spoiling shows and movies and all kind of shit. I'm tired of seeing it and it needs to stop.

*rant over*

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
fuck morgana

if it wasnt for me liking Haru, that particular segment would make me hate the game

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First of all as someone who has yet to play P5 and has gone on a complete blackout until I play it, I want to know why the fuck are you putting spoilers in the subject title??? I don't know who or what these characters are, and I DON'T WANT TO KNOW until I play the game! Please keep names and other things that take place in the game in the actual thread and not in the title....thank you! Geesh.

This is becoming is a seriously bad habit here in Resetera. Happens far too much especially in the Etcetera forums where people are spoiling shows and movies and all kind of shit. I'm tired of seeing it and it needs to stop.

*rant over*
I'm going to assume this is a parody and no one is actually like this. That character names of people who are the first people you get in your party is considered spoilers. For a 4 year old game.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I can see the appeal of it. He's a detective prince and she's a corporate princess, so there's kinda of a theme going on.

There's also their shared sadism in punishing Shadows. Not to mention both of them have issues with their fathers. Sure Akechi kileld her dad, but honestly he did her a favour considering how much of a POS he was.
I hadn't considered that. Akechi is Jokersexual making it even more of a crack ship.

I wish Haru had been a (better fleshed out) character.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I hadn't considered that. Akechi is Jokersexual making it even more of a crack ship.

I wish Haru had been a (better fleshed out) character.

Honestly in my view, I can't see Akechi in any kind of relationship with anyone. At BEST he's capable of grudging respect. I get the vibe he's asexual.

Haru is still best girl.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I hated Morgana in the original P5, what with the Ryuji fight, the constant pestering to go to sleep, and also the smug attitude.

The little changes to Morgana in P5R made him more digestible for me. That act is still imo, the lowest point of the game but they added meaningful things and removed nuances to make him less of an annoyance.

To the main topic, yes he is. Ryuji is actually bullied a bit too much in P5. He's annoying in his own way of course, like how he's basically the reason Makoto finds out that they are the Phantom Thieves but these kids at 16 years old. Cut them some slack.

Jun 10, 2019
Look, I'm not really that interested in the rabbit hole of fan theories. My point is that you and MinusTydus both stated as fact that Yosuke was at some point written as gay, then rewritten not to be:

There is absolutely no proof of any the above whatsoever. Don't go around spreading misinformation, that's all I'm saying.

The irony of saying "there was nothing there" with regards to Kanji and his bait and switch, right after pushing "Yosuke was definitely gay but they changed it" as fact, is so deafening I can feel my eardrums bleeding. Unlike you, I'm not interpreting anything. Kanji thinks he may be gay. His friends think he may be gay. That's not fan theory, that's literally the game's very own dialogue. That he ends up not being gay is a fact, but so is that in-game characters, including himself, textually express the belief, at multiple points in the game, that he's gay.

His entire Social Link revolves around masculinity and him finding his definition of it. It's the last thing his dad told him before he died. None of development is about accepting his orientation. It's like the whole 'naoto is trans' narrative. You're applying a western perspective on a eastern game.

Yosuke is the only character who even entertains the possibility that Kanji might be gay and that's just to tease him.

If the writers really wanted to make a statement on Kanji's sexuality then they would've spent more time talking and focusing on it.

Why dispute a voiceline? evidently they went as far as voicing the damn lines, it's not a stretch to assume they were planning on using it.

Oct 25, 2017
Ryuji is actually my favorite member of the Phantom Thieves. He is an idiot sure, but he means well asides from the midpoint after medjed when the fame gets to his head.

Morgana is just a complete asshole to him.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean yeah Morgana was definitely a major dick to Ryuji and honestly with Ryuji's past I can understand who he is at times cause he got majorly fucked over by Kamoshida. However to me the banter between the two wasn't even the most fucked up thing to happen to Ryuji as it was
being beat up by the team after he risks his life to save them and seemingly dies
This shit right here left me feeling some type of way when that shit happened. Ryuji clearly by a mile has the biggest heart in the game and decide to sacrifice himself to get the team out of that final(Vanilla) palace and they all thought he was dead but came out fine and the girls knock him out and the whole team leaves him there unconscious. Like I can accept the slap for the cheeky comment he mad trying to play off almost killing himself as cool but that shit was all the way fucked up.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The weird perv shit is bad, but it's not Yosuke P4 bad.

Its pretty much yosuke p4 bad. Both had a ridiculous bikini scene, and yosuke is trash of the worst level but i dont remember him trying to look down rise's boobs or something. "they constantly talk shit to each other" doesnt excuse any of this crap

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty much yosuke p4 bad. Both had a ridiculous bikini scene, and yosuke is trash of the worst level but i dont remember him trying to look down rise's boobs or something. "they constantly talk shit to each other" doesnt excuse any of this crap

Can you just remind me about some of the stuff that happened? Because the only thing that really sticks out to me is the fact they tried to get Ann naked to let them investigate Madarame.

Where as Yosuke was constantly making creepy comments and bought Chie and Yukiko bikinis. There always was this sleeze on Yosuke that I didn't feel on Ryuji but I might just not remember more examples.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Can you just remind me about some of the stuff that happened? Because the only thing that really sticks out to me is the fact they tried to get Ann naked to let them investigate Madarame.

Where as Yosuke was constantly making creepy comments and bought Chie and Yukiko bikinis. There always was this sleeze on Yosuke that I didn't feel on Ryuji but I might just not remember more examples.

grabby hands with the beach scene, "wow they really grow up hehe" comments (surprisingly similar to yosuke in fact), literally trying to look down her shirt while they're driving through the desert

really dude

the naked madarame thing was gross too, but that one is shared "between the boyz"

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Ryuji also gets all the girls in swimsuits to seduce one of the shadows in the cruise ship palace for a letter of recommendation. He actually starts out saying they'd only need three and then says "No wait, four. Maybe he's into that." Presumably about how young Futaba looks.

Oct 25, 2017
grabby hands with the beach scene, "wow they really grow up hehe" comments (surprisingly similar to yosuke in fact), literally trying to look down her shirt while they're driving through the desert

really dude

the naked madarame thing was gross too, but that one is shared "between the boyz"

Wait really?

Is this the optional hang out with the guys thing? Because I spent that time with Makoto and I genuinely do not remember this happening when you go to America. I remember all the guys looking at Ann's breasts while they were driving to Futaba's palace but I don't remember Ryuji trying to look up someone's skirt.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Wait really?

Is this the optional hang out with the guys thing? Because I spent that time with Makoto and I genuinely do not remember this happening when you go to America. I remember all the guys looking at Ann's breasts while they were driving to Futaba's palace but I don't remember Ryuji trying to look up someone's skirt.

it's shirt, my bad, i mistyped. and yes, that was very, very bad.

theres also the cruise part someone else reminded

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017

I don't want to start a whole thing over this but in terms of all the anime perv BS I have seen over the years I find Ryujis behavior fits within the realm of highschool dumbass boy stuff.

Edit: have forgotten about the ship palace, I'm almost at that point in Royal.

To the topic: I like both characters a good bit. Morgana had it coming though.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I don't know where people are getting ryuji and Anne stuff, he thinks she's hot, but otherwise shows very little interest in her. there is like no chemistry between them at all.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to hold Ryuji's interactions with Ann against him is weird, considering that the other side of this conversation is fucking Morgana.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of it is really necessary but at least Ann always bounced back Ryuji's antics (she just laughs and puts her arm around him in that beach scene). It's pretty clear they're close friends who trust each other, she says as much when they sleep in the same hotel room.

Morgana's advancements towards her is just met with discomfort, comparatively.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Morgana's advancements towards her is just met with discomfort, comparatively.
I remember Ann calling out Morgana after the Ryuji was trying to cop a peek in the Morgana bus in Futaba's palace saying the only reason he wasn't trying to look was because he was the bus at the time when Morgana mentioned he wouldn't do anything like that.

hermit

Oct 25, 2017
Wait really?

both ryuji and morgana try to look up ann's skirt when she takes a nap at the celebration after madarame's palace