• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Yes. He's a terrible character, at least at that part of the game.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
That's one hell of a crack ship.

I can see the appeal of it. He's a detective prince and she's a corporate princess, so there's kinda of a theme going on.

There's also their shared sadism in punishing Shadows. Not to mention both of them have issues with their fathers. Sure Akechi kileld her dad, but honestly he did her a favour considering how much of a POS he was.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Basically because plot, and that whole part of the game being a little clumsily handled. Atlus was just trying to do the typical "Group of heroes/thieves/etc. has internal strife around halfway through the story and nearly ends up breaking apart, but they realize they need each other and stay together to accomplish their goals" plot arc. It's a huge genre trope, especially in 'heist team' stories, which is probably why Atlus tried to do it. So they ramped up the internal discord between Ryuji and Morgana for a while beforehand, and Morgana's feelings of being useless and no longer relevant. You can really see the crumbs Atlus was trying to seed on a replay.

The problem is, even though Atlus tried to foreshadow it, it still comes across as a little forced and clumsy. There's a reason it's most peoples least favorite part of the game.

That said, it's really not as bad as I remember it, either. When I replayed the game for Royal it was a much shorter sequence than I remembered, and it's all over fairly quickly.
This. The regular back and forth tone between Ryuji and Morgana was set by Ryuji and they're both generally okay with it.
Then this plot trope is clumsily shoehorned in and it fucks up not only Ryuji and Morgana but also splash damages Haru's introduction.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Morgana is an asshole to Ryuji all the time, on top of being a fucking creep toward Ann. Fuck him.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Things I'm learning from this thread is don't let little things like
murdering your potential partner's father
stand in the way of your ship.

Should we start shipping Akechi with Futaba too while we're at it?

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Ryuji is just plain stupid and yes Morgana is mean but justified.
On the other side, Ryuji is quick to call Morgana useless when Morgana carried us (sometimes literally) through most of the game...

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Morgana > Teddie.

I think one reason Morgana is an ass to Ryuji is cause Morgana is obsessed with Ann who Ryuji is likely to have a crush on too. Maybe that's why he is so hostile towards him.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Btw, did you know and I heard it from ryuji that THEY ARE THE FANTOM THIEFS, because he sure does yell it everywhere

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
In turn, I think you're conflating Yosuke (homophobe) with Kanji (awesome character heavily implied to be gay but chickened out of at the last possible moment).
People speculate that Yosuke was originally meant to be a romance option due to unused Social Link lines in the game.

I focused all my attention on the murders...to avoid having to confront myself.
So long as I don't try...nothing'll change, even if we catch the killer.
Right now, I'm just plain old me. And I want to do what I can with everything I've got! With you guys!
I never knew I had such heat inside...
So I...I want to become someone who can proudly stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you.
I like you.
D-don't make me say stuff like that!
Don't go...

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
First of all as someone who has yet to play P5 and has gone on a complete blackout until I play it, I want to know why the fuck are you putting spoilers in the subject title??? I don't know who or what these characters are, and I DON'T WANT TO KNOW until I play the game! Please keep names and other things that take place in the game in the actual thread and not in the title....thank you! Geesh.

This is becoming is a seriously bad habit here in Resetera. Happens far too much especially in the Etcetera forums where people are spoiling shows and movies and all kind of shit. I'm tired of seeing it and it needs to stop.

*rant over*

Jun 10, 2019
The only time Ryuji deserves to get reprimanded by Mona is when he fucking BLABS about being a phantom thief.

Otherwise yes. Mona does nothing but rile Ryuji up. Even some of the battle dialogue has Morgana insulting him.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First of all as someone who has yet to play P5 and has gone on a complete blackout until I play it, I want to know why the fuck are you putting spoilers in the subject title??? I don't know who or what these characters are, and I DON'T WANT TO KNOW until I play the game! Please keep names and other things that take place in the game in the actual thread and not in the title....thank you! Geesh.

This is becoming is a seriously bad habit here in Resetera. Happens far too much especially in the Etcetera forums where people are spoiling shows and movies and all kind of shit. I'm tired of seeing it and it needs to stop.

*rant over*

If anything, I think this shows that someone's a little too crazy about spoilers if names of major characters revealed early on in marketing material are too much for you. The game has also been out for more than 3 years, people aren't gonna wait on you for all eternity to play it.

Jun 10, 2019
also the people saying "morgana get called out once and leave ryuji gets called all game and never complains" played a different game? they spent the entire first third of the game bickering and ryuji whines about it all the time. maybe ryuji whose entire arc revolves around something out of his control happening and him becoming "useless" to his teammates shouldnt jump at the first chance of doing the same thing to others

and morgana might be a pathetic white knight weird cat thing but as a woman that upsets me far less than literally trying to look down my shirt. that is a shit this game pulled with ryuji and is played "for laughs", and they're supposed to be high school friends or something. yea nah, morgana is annoying and a bad character, ryuji is straight up a horrible character, throw both on the fire

How many time did Morgana thrist over Ann? That's a 3rd of his dialogue.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields

*rant over*
Learning that this Morgana character was a dick to this Ryuji character has ruined the game for me. Without this spoiler, I would have been able to go into this game fine, but that's ruined now.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Kudos to Atlus for making two of the most unlikable characters ever and they are both in the same game. Morgana made me think about dropping the game, Ryuji didn't, so for me Morgana is worse.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Both are cunts, but Ryuji started the feud.

*rant over*
lmao

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
I don't like people being mean for the sake of being mean, so I hated morgana for all the fucking bullying. Also hated morgana for making go to bed early. I like cats, but fuck morgana.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Ryuji certainly deserves *some* of the insults thrown his way because he flat out screws them over early in the game by being careless, but Morgana never really lets him off the hook or really makes any attempt to understand him. Even when he's in the right (Ryuji was a total power hungry asshole near the middle of the game) Morgana never considered why Ryuji might be acting that way and immediately started hurling insults instead of like, talking about it?

I like Morgana, all things considered. But the game treats Ryuji and Morgana as being equally in the wrong when that clearly wasn't the case. The game tends to be a little cruel to Ryuji in general, honestly.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Kanji's entire spiel was about masculinity, not necessarily his orientation. Yosuke is the one who was meant to be gay but they wrote it out at the last minute.

Yes, and Kanji's orientation was made obvious early on when he gets a nosebleed from Chie and Yukiko in their swimsuits. Kanji isn't hiding being gay, he's hiding the parts of him that he worries will be ridiculed as not being manly.

Yosuke keeps harping on about what happened in Kanji's TV world in a manner that certainly suggests he is closeted.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Kanji's entire spiel was about masculinity, not necessarily his orientation. Yosuke is the one who was meant to be gay but they wrote it out at the last minute.

First I've ever heard of Yosuke being gay at any point in development.

People speculate that Yosuke was originally meant to be a romance option due to unused Social Link lines in the game.

Uh, I'm guessing that's not all of the evidence people are using to support that theory? Because that link is a complete nothingburguer.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Kudos to Atlus for making two of the most unlikable characters ever and they are both in the same game. Morgana made me think about dropping the game, Ryuji didn't, so for me Morgana is worse.

I don't find them unlikable at all. Ryuji is easily the best out of him, Junpei and Yosuke. His VA is incredibly good.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Guess you haven't been around during the Frozen craze where Elsa x Hans was popular for some reason lol

*rant over*

Bro.... don't

AArouet

Dec 25, 2020
I started P5R a while ago and forgot how funny their relationship actually is.

Is it too much? Perhaps. But I think it works well imo.

Can't wait for February to play the new one.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

*rant over*
You have been in a 4 years blackout over Persona 5?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Akechi literally shoots Joker in the face and yet him and Joker are easily the most popular ship in the whole fandom.

Jun 10, 2019
First I've ever heard of Yosuke being gay at any point in development.

Uh, I'm guessing that's not all of the evidence people are using to support that theory? Because that link is a complete nothingburguer.

The level of intimacy Yosuke's SL has with Narukami is stronger than every other male SL in the game.

It's not a stretch to assume at some point in development Yosuke was a possible romance option.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yes, and Kanji's orientation was made obvious early on when he gets a nosebleed from Chie and Yukiko in their swimsuits. Kanji isn't hiding being gay, he's hiding the parts of him that he worries will be ridiculed as not being manly.

Yosuke keeps harping on about what happened in Kanji's TV world in a manner that certainly suggests he is closeted.

Kanji is in love with a person that presents as male, his dungeon is a sauna, his shadow is a collection of every gay trope in the world. It's about as subtle as you would expect a JRPG from a decade ago. In the end, he's indeed canonically not gay, but you can't blame people for feeling betrayed at the backpedal and seeing it as cowardice for not wanting to portrait a main character as gay (in my headcanon he'll always be bi).

Regarding the nosebleed, watch the scene again. The girls' assume it's on their behalf, but he's actually been staring at the shirtless, soaked guys for 30 seconds and ignoring the girls, and acts spaced out when talked to:

Yosuke, on the other hand, is obsessed with hitting on girls, seeing them in yukatas, bikinis or naked. If the above nosebleed scene makes Kanji's orientation "obvious", then ignoring literally every single bit of Yosuke's characterization and continuous sexual harassment is just cherrypicking evidence.

The "homophobe = closeted gay" and "closeted gay = overcompensating sexual harasser" tropes are harmful enough on their own; I don't think they need to be invoked into a game already brimming with homophobia in order to... what, exactly? Downplay Yosuke's homophobia? It all seems to me like an attempt to paint P4's writers in some positive light by constructing a fantasy that they somehow wanted to make a poignant, American Beauty-like statement, when every single piece of evidence points to them being just flat out homophobes.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

*rant over*
1324359129980.gif

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The level of intimacy Yosuke's SL has with Narukami is stronger than every other male SL in the game.

It's not a stretch to assume at some point in development Yosuke was a possible romance option.

It is completely a stretch given Yosuke's characterization. It would literally make more sense for any other male character in P3, P4 or P5.

Which, I mean: you do you, that's what headcanon is for; but stating as objective fact that he was "meant to be gay but they wrote it out at the last time" wrote a check that no piece of evidence so far could cashed a single penny of.

Jun 10, 2019
Kanji is in love with a person that presents as male, his dungeon is a sauna, his shadow is a collection of every gay trope in the world. It's about as subtle as you would expect a JRPG from a decade ago. In the end, he's indeed canonically not gay, but you can't blame people for feeling betrayed at the backpedal and seeing it as cowardice for not wanting to portrait a main character as gay (in my headcanon he'll always be bi).

Regarding the nosebleed, watch the scene again. The girls' assume it's on their behalf, but he's actually been staring at the shirtless, soaked guys for 30 seconds and ignoring the girls, and acts spaced out when talked to:

Yosuke, on the other hand, is obsessed with hitting on girls, seeing them in yukatas, bikinis or naked. If the above nosebleed scene makes Kanji's orientation "obvious", then ignoring literally every single bit of Yosuke's characterization and continuous sexual harassment is just cherrypicking evidence.

The "homophobe = closeted gay" and "closeted gay = overcompensating sexual harasser" tropes are harmful enough on their own; I don't think they need to be invoked into a game already brimming with homophobia in order to... what, exactly? Downplay Yosuke's homophobia? It all seems to me like an attempt to paint P4's writers in some positive light by constructing a fantasy that they somehow wanted to make a poignant, American Beauty-like statement, when every single piece of evidence points to them being just flat out homophobes.

There's a lot of issues with the writing in Persona. I'm not even going to attempt to defend that.

Don't get mad at the writers for 'backpeddling' something that wasn't there to begin with? That's my problem, getting mad at something that was never there.

Maybe Kanji's dungeon is based on the idea that he feels, I don't know, queer, because textile work in Japan is seen as feminine in Japan.

Also, he's still interested in Naoto even after learning she's a girl. Kanji's canon crush is Naoto.

There's the beauty pageant scene where he gets a nosebleed at the thought of Naoto in a swimsuit.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing P5R now and man this really is the worst part of the game, I was desperate for it to be over. It's such an insult to Haru too who has her introduction completely ignored so that Morgana and Ryuji can have this absolutely moronic spat over literally nothing. Holy shit what a godawful portion of the game. Fucking fire whoever wrote this part, seriously.

Jun 10, 2019
It is completely a stretch given Yosuke's characterization. It would literally make more sense for any other male character in P3, P4 or P5.

Which, I mean: you do you, that's what headcanon is for; but stating as objective fact that he was "meant to be gay but they wrote it out at the last time" wrote a check that no piece of evidence so far could cashed a single penny of.

It's not even that much of a stretch. I'm not even talking the possibility of him being closeted. Narukami and Yosuke literally call each other by their first name. They're that close. It's not really a stretch to consider the possibility that there's something going on there.

The idea, that in a game like a Persona 4, a game who's theme is accepting a part of you you wouldn't want to admit he's possibly homosexual.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly the entire plot around both of them fucking sucked.

I can't believe there's like an entire arc around Morgana supposedly being worthless when they were one of my most used party members while Ryuji sat on the bench a ton. Like 0 thought put into if any of that would go over weirdly based on the actual gameplay.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing P5R now and man this really is the worst part of the game, I was desperate for it to be over. It's such an insult to Haru too who has her introduction completely ignored so that Morgana and Ryuji can have this absolutely moronic spat over literally nothing. Holy shit what a godawful portion of the game. Fucking fire whoever wrote this part, seriously.
That part in general is a chore, especially Okumura's dungeon.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I don't really follow that theory closely. I think the only other evidence that isn't purely based on interpretation is how his Social Link has a flag that's otherwise only used to split romantic/non-romantic versions of Social Links, but even that is pretty vague due to being just an internal mechanic.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

*rant over*

...do you intend to play it without looking at the game's box art? Without watching the game's opening video? What?

Like people can be a little weird about spoiler titles here but vague mentions of initial party members is not that, lmao.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

*rant over*

Clicking on this thread was worth it for this post.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
I mean yes he is they both are kind of dicks, and i think there is another issue with this, because of how p5's story is laid out these characters don't really receive karmic retribution for how they act, take their p4 equivalents teddy and yosuke, they recieve karmic retribution for their actions the world quite literally shit on them for their behavior not to mention the rest of the cast, P5 if i recall correctly because the story is about the antagonists using the influence they hve in the world to make peoples lives miserable, so it allows for morgana and ryuji to get away with shitty actions because the game isn't going to punish them for it especially ryuji after kamoshida

I don't really follow that theory closely. I think the only other evidence that isn't purely based on interpretation is how his Social Link has a flag that's otherwise only used to split romantic/non-romantic versions of Social Links, but even that is pretty vague due to being just an internal mechanic.

didn't the yosuke stuff have like an unused voiceline as well?

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
Morgana is the worst and I always bench him whenever i have enough members to be able to. And then Makoto comes along as the main healer and will never have an excuse to use that cat again.