• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
My wife just finished zero dawn and it made me want to fight some monsters, unfortunately my ps plus expired a few months ago so I wasn't able to get it free then, but I've always wanted to get into the games, but the hand held versions have always just never been able to keep my interests for long. I understand they are grundy games, but it always felt like I was doing nothing in uninteresting areas. One of the things that world looks like it might be able to hook me with would be the areas look a lot more interesting, with a lot of creatures kinda going about their business which they tried to do in the small areas on the hand held, but It looks like the areas and monster interaction is way better. Also the controls and being able to use 2 analog sticks seems like it will help. I know its still not really a newbie friendly series, but do you all think it might be worth giving world a shot if I didn't care for the previous ones? I will play it solo if I do, and will likely have to wait for gamestop to reopen whenever the hell that will be so I can nab a new copy. With my history with the series and uncertainty with my job atm I want to be able to return it if it still can't pull me in. I do like the monster combat in dragons dogma BTW

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It was designed to be a good entry point. You'll be overwhelmed with any MH game, but less with World

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, it's also the best the series has ever been in terms of quality of life features.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
It's the best entry you're going to get at this point in time. There is still a bunch of stuff that you will find clunky and pretty backwards though.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'd recommend playing it with a bunch of friends. They added certain weapons and armour to be able to play the base game more easily (to then enjoy the huge expansion Iceborne).

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Most everyone will agree it's the best version for newcomers. It actually has QoL features unlike the previous ones. It's still the same core as the previous games though, so if you didn't like things like the quest structure, combat, upgrading, etc., this won't change your mind. But if your biggest gripes were the graphics, confusing subsystems, and the difficulties involved with grinding stuff other than the monsters, you should have a great time.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
World is the easiest approachable MH game, and Iceborne made the gameplay feel even more like classic MH, so it's like the best of both worlds.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It was for me.
Never had played a MH game before it (well I very briefly tried I don't remember which one on 3DS but turned it off within minutes)

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I've played every mainline game since Tri, and even I don't want to go back. World, while lacking monster diversity, is phenomenal.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I got my wife and two of my friends into the series with it. And really myself too, even though I have played mh beforehand, I didn't enjoy them until world.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
If someone is going to get into it, MHW will probably be the one to do it.

Except maybe if they really want to play co-op. I can't believe they screwed that up so badly.

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times
I'm someone who has played Monster Hunter since Tri (Wii) days. I think all the Monster Hunter games as a entry point would be a wonderful way to start playing with your friend. They are all co op friendly, so to speak. To answer you based off of this, yes. Monster Hunter World would be a very good entry point for your friend.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Yes, I tried 3 and 4 years ago, and couldn't get into them. Tried World and was hooked immediately. Tried the switch game after and couldn't enjoy it. Something about World's design is what needed to attract me.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yes absolutely

Its the most accessible the game has ever been.

Annnnddd it still might overwhelm you with its learning curve but it has soooooo much content and so much to love

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Base version of MHW was my first time playing the series and I ended up putting close to 200 hours in. There's still plenty of esoteric design decisions, but nothing that felt insurmountable.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like I'm a bit too behind on World to enjoy catching up. I had the same problem with Destiny 2. There was just TOO much stuff and I could never stay up to date with the new endgame meta.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Debatable - as a fervent fan of MHW (easily my game of the decade) there's still a lot to be desired compared to previous entries, and that's including Iceborne.

To answer the topic though yes for sure.
I've started playing with Freedom Unite on PSP. I only skipped MH 3 U and Tri. I still think that World is the best even though i don' t really like the current decoration system which is too rng based.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long is this game, roughly? I've wanted to play it, but I've seen INSANE playtimes. Is it truly necessary to dump 200+ hours to enjoy it and do the main content?

Danielsff

Aug 5, 2019
I loved Monster Hunter since 2008.
Played 600 hours on PSP.
Monster Hunter World i feel strange, it doesnt hook me, i think there is too much chat, i get lost in the new maps, its like i cannot get into the game.
What is happening?

Oct 27, 2017
How long is this game, roughly? I've wanted to play it, but I've seen INSANE playtimes. Is it truly necessary to dump 200+ hours to enjoy it and do the main content?

This is tough to answer. I've got nearly 800 hours across PS4 and PC.

This is me just trying out different weapons, refining my builds and improving my personal speedrun times against monsters.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
As someone who literally never played Monster Hunter before MHW (I thought it was some sort of Pokemon-like game), and then went on to put hundreds of hours in MHW, I can confirm that it is a good jumping off point for new players.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017

I've put about 50 hours into it. Haven't seen all the main content, maybe I never will, who knows? I've had a great time though, well worth the time and money I've invested

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, How Long to Beat gives the main game around 50 hours for the story and 36 hours for Iceborne but you can really race through the main story now that they patched in super weapons and armor and I really didn't feel like Iceborne's story was quite that long.

There's gonna be content that's made specifically for endgame players to grind again and again, but the main stories shouldn't take close that what you're seeing.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
100% yes. It's an excellent starting point.

OP
OP
Xero grimlock

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
not that I will be able to afford it, but does iceborn include the main game? I thought I saw somewhere it said + world on it.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
If someone is going to get into it, MHW will probably be the one to do it.

Except maybe if they really want to play co-op. I can't believe they screwed that up so badly.
Pretty much.
I conviced my partner to get into the series, while I avoided buying it waiting for him... then the mess of playing co-op began.

So... we never played together and he lost interest.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Yes, my SO barely played video games before I showed her Monster Hunter World and now she almost has 200 hours in it.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to get in with Tri and 4U (And even went back to GU after developing a foundation with MHW) and I can easily say it's the most accessible and immediately enjoyable game in the series.

Nearly all of the weapons feel great to use right off the bat. The spectacle/flow of the combat and the general progression of system and monster unlocks are a blast to work through. All of the annoying ambiguity of "Which of these quests are filler and which of these quests are actually relevant to my progression" has been stripped out. There's still some annoying elements in the UI/UX side of things in figuring out how you can interact with some systems and what some of these things actually do, but mods on the PC side helps things along a lot.

The downside is that the co-op experience is clumsy as shit. You both can't just start a mission together and play it through to completion. You both need to independently start a mission, view the cutscene that introduces a specific monster after tracking it down (Luckily their spawns are generally static for that first intro), and from there have one of you quit out of their session to join the other's game. If you're willing to work a little ahead of your partner so that you can guide them to the boss' location before jumping in the first instant you can, it's not as bad. But with my partner it was still pretty stressful to deal with the thing solo while I spawned in back at camp and start making my way out to them.

not that I will be able to afford it, but does iceborn include the main game? I thought I saw somewhere it said + world on it.
Gotta get the Master Edition that includes both.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
absolutely

edit: since nobody mentioned this yet
OP it is absolutely vital you choose a weapon that you actually like
by default your character wields a greatsword but you have each weapon type on the item box already

test each weapon in the training area, you access it from talking to your house cat inside your room

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend starting there, but then once you get used to the formula I'd check out some of the older games as well.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much.
I conviced my partner to get into the series, while I avoided buying it waiting for him... then the mess of playing co-op began.

So... we never played together and he lost interest.
Similar situation here. I got a friend to buy a 3DS for MH4U and while he was having fun with it, he couldn't get over playing it on such a small screen and he stopped playing it after about 40 hours, maintaining that if it ever came to Console or PC he would play it. The announcement of World got us hyped up to finally co-op some Monster Hunter after years of waiting.

After about 15 hours of the trials and tribulations with the co-op he finally got too frustrated and gave up and hasn't touched it since. I'm fairly certain he has finally lost interest in MH for good and has moved on completely.

I honestly do not understand their thinking for how th co-op is set up in MHW.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, World is pretty much the only choose for newcomers and also a good choice for people who didn't enjoy the older games doe to QoL improvements.