• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you percieve Minecraft Steve as being whitewashed in certain promotional material and merchandise

• Yes, and Mojang should fix this

Votes: 336 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 438 56.6%

• Total voters

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
tbh I always just thought he was a white guy covered in dirt and dust from mining

like actual miners you know?

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Yep - I mentioned this earlier. Kind of interesting, and sad to see where he's at now compared to then in regards to gender. This doesn't really address skin tone unless i'm missing something?

You're correct, it doesn't, but the idea is that the player isn't meant to have a gender and is meant to represent a human.

From there you can take it to mean race also.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're correct, it doesn't, but the idea is that the player isn't meant to have a gender and is meant to represent a human.

Perhaps. I don't believe Alex or Steve have or ever should have a specified ethnicity, but just in terms of color, it's clear they have different skin tones.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

If we follow this line of logic, then making his skin tone an ambiguous shade of brown makes sense (though the Undertale strategy of using yellow would probably be better). That still makes the merchandising whitewashing though.

Oct 25, 2017
Mm, that quote from notch really highlights how far he's fallen.

I will say, I've always found the original art pretty ugly with the noisy textures, and loved the boxart renders. That said, I don't think any change was intentional, but they could certainly give Steve a darker skintone to better match the original design.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if Steve gets into Smash and there still isn't a named brown character in the game.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
If we follow this line of logic, then making his skin tone an ambiguous shade of brown makes sense (though the Undertale strategy of using yellow would probably be better). That still makes the merchandising whitewashing though.

Yup, I agree.

As I said earlier, part of it is practicality in terms of the coloring, but since Alex was super pale perhaps everyone just assumed that Steve is a whiter shade also.

Either way, typical whitewashing if you ask me.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
tbh hes whitewashed so often that I wonder if its just a tan. I mean some of those are official products right?

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Digging around - The only implication that Steve isn't specifically black is a cut model from an old artist (whose work never made it in the game as far as I understand it), named "Black Steve"

latest

So if we use this as a starting point, it seems that Steve wasn't intended to be black, but he's clearly still not white. Even if he at some point intended to be white, as often white people will view white as a default, (hence there being a specification for "Black Steve" and no "White Steve") Steve's skin is still clearly whitewashed from what it is in-game, from brown to white, as Mojang could easily change the in-game skin tone literally at any time they wanted with minimal effort and haven't yet.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
His face is pretty confusing... I guess he has a beard, but also looks like a smile because for some reason Alex has a mouth but no nose and Steve has a nose but no mouth. Never got the appeal to be honest.

Edit: Ok, seems like it's the merchandising that deletes his mouth... I don't understand why, but you have another change there.

Splatoon 2 has had a few issues with this.
lGijI8Y.png
4cf74e8b250f6550b3accbb412f9c596.jpg
In this case I think it's just because it's a figure aimed to the japanese market of a character that can come in any skin colour anyways. I get why they made it, though they could have made another model with importers in mind.

Last edited:

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I see this with some of my kid's toys and it pisses me off. For example: Catboy from PJ Masks, clearly a brown skinned kid in the show, but all the merch is whiter than me - and I'm Scottish so as you can imagine I'm very pasty.

Oct 25, 2017
Had a couple of (already mentioned) examples in mind when saw the thread title but wow OP. I never saw the black Minecraft character referred to as "Steve", both in official merchandise and in online conversations, it's always the white one.

That's absurdly blatant - without this thread I might have never learned Steve is black at all.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a weird artifact from the change in Minecraft's artstyle over the years. Even though the big, grimy pixels were always its signature look in recent years they've adjusted its color palette and artstyle to make it more appealing to the mass market, some of which happened after the Microsoft acquisition, some of it was before. I don't think Steve was ever intended to be black per se but the character's depiction has definitely changed for the worse

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because I've always seen white dude with a beard as Steve.

But he's clearly brown, at least. I get why people say his face looks dirty from mining, but his arms and exposed neck are pretty smoothly brown. Also, why is Alex's face not dirty from mining? Compared to Alex it's a no brainer that Steve isn't really white.

How is that silly?

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I just think mojang didnt thought about this enough because they see steve as a generic skin that most people dont care about enough. Also,i have a lot of friends that play minecraft. No one knows this guy is steve. they just use custom skins.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But he's clearly brown, at least. I get why people say his face looks dirty from mining, but his arms and exposed neck are pretty smoothly brown. Also, why is Alex's face not dirty from mining? Compared to Alex it's a no brainer that Steve isn't really white.

How is that silly?

He isn't brown to me... 🤷🏼‍♂️ I don't see it at all

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
He's got purple eyes which means he probably wasn't intended to represent any actual living human. At that point commercial artists probably figured they could do whatever they wanted with him. Once Steve had a couple products out with the light skinned likeness I'd imagine that established a baseline which following products copied. Things would likely only change if Microsoft stepped in at this point and established some guidelines for how Steve is to be portrayed going forward.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I can see the case for it, whitewashing has always been rampant in the industry (and basically everywhere else).

BigBlue

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Omg I audibly gasped at the realization that Steve might be the biggest PoC representation in gaming

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This actually hits close to home for me. Just this weekend I went toy shopping with my kids and my 6 year old wanted a "minecraft steve" lego set and he specifically wanted the darker toned version and we simply couldn't find one.

My wife and I assumed that Steve wasn't black but he kept insisting that he was dark skinned...

Smh, we settled on lego batman, but I never noticed this was a thing and it's sad.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I played so much Minecraft before 1.0 came out and never realized Steve is a POC

My mind is legitimately blown

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steve just looks like a really tanned dude to me. I never saw him as a POC and I still don't. Just my 2c

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017

They also made those things with a much, much brighter and more pastel palette. The non-Sanrio ones that came out were much darker and more correct for it.

https:///wp-content/uploads/2019/02/sanei-boeki-splatoon-2-pearl-marina-plush-feb192019-1038x576.jpg

Also before this thread I had no idea Steve was even a thing. I always just saw generic Minecraft blocks on packaging.

CapNBritain

Oct 26, 2017
California
He isn't brown to me... 🤷🏼‍♂️ I don't see it at all
Steve just looks like a really tanned dude to me. I never saw him as a POC and I still don't. Just my 2c

I'm really not sure what posts like these are trying to do. I have never played any minecraft game and yet just by actually reading the topic I can plainly see that the character had a brown tone that was made lighter in merchandise. So what if you never saw him as a PoC? Unless you're blind, you should be able to see that the merchandise made of him has had lighter skin compared to his official darker skin coloring. Just admit that, it's not that hard.

OP
OP
Gundam

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure what posts like these are trying to do. I have never played any minecraft game and yet just by actually reading the topic I can plainly see that the character had a brown tone that was made lighter in merchandise. So what if you never saw him as a PoC? Unless you're blind, you should be able to see that the merchandise made of him has had lighter skin compared to his official darker skin coloring. Just admit that, it's not that hard.

For real.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I never knew there was an actual character in Minecraft (never played it), but they are clearly changing their color in other media. And even they weren't, this character is supposed to represent a player and therefore can look any way they want. Why is it always white?
That is wildly progressive to the point of making it even hard to believe it was him who wrote it in the first place.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought of Steve as being white...

Maybe tan-ish skin and brown hair, but white.