• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Reference them in what way? Just last month I recall shuhei and Shawn layden congratulating xbox /Phil on Forza Horizon 4 winning at TGA, which is way classier than what Greenberg did in the acceptance speech which was to advertise Game pass.

Dont even bother bringing Greenberg into this. He's the biggest fanboy out of all the execs.
giphy.gif

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Why are yall talking about that tweet anyways? That was already talked about in another thread.

Anyways, Microsoft is focused on mixed Reality through Windows. There won't be a device that is tied to the console. It will be a standalone device... Not tethered. Just let it go. MS doesn't need to do VR until it makes sense for them and the technology is there. Xbox doesn't need to lead the way for that. VR is still early.

Edit:
Also, are we really questioning MS in technical foresight? As if MS hasn't been early in so many technologies that's been created. That's funny.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
You claimed that the PSVR is being managed better than the XB1 which isn't true. Low attach rate and people barely talking about its games isn't a good look.

No, I didn´t.
I said that Sony support to PSVR, in my opinion, was better in 2018 than MS support on Xbox One. And I only brought this because of a user saying that Sony has abandoned PSVR and Ibarra´s statement with the supposed lack of killer app.
But honestly I don´t want to continue this discussion because like I said previously it´s just a matter of opinion and it will probably derail the thread .
The main point of my post was : Sony is supporting PSVR.
And not only Sony is supporting PSVR, 3P are also supporting PSVR.
I´m not talking about attach rate or WoM/buzz. I´m talking about games, about good games. And it´s a fact that VR, with the PSVR and Sony help, is living a great period when it comes to software.
But even if want to bring this to the table I think PSVR is in it´s best moment when it comes to WoM, buzz and mindshare.
Who would thought in 2016/2017 that PSVR would get the highlights it´s getting now ? Who would thought that we would had 2 GOTY contenders on VR a few years ago ?
I mean the whole reason we are having this discussion it´s because VR is a better position than ever.
If VR was dead no one would be discussing why MS haven´t jumped in yet.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt Microsoft, of all companies, hasn't invested in VR experimentation. However, it is worth noting that MS has progressively started to revert to its software routes and it is reaping huge rewards for them. I think it is more important to MS to push the hardware taht is selling -namely surface pros and xbox- before pushing another piece of hardware.

Don't forget, including kinect with the Xbox One did a lot of harm.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty ready to me when I'm playing on it. I mean, AR isn't ready, the tech isn't there, but they're pushing ahead with it. They could use that wireless tech for a VR headset. Hell, they don't even need their own one, just give support for a third party one.

I guess they want a wide reach. VR is still considered a niche addon in the marketplace. Not only that, not everyone can tolerate VR. I personally have a few friends that cannot play more than 10 mins due to feeling dizzy or small headache.

Ultimately, MS wants to focus on fixing their library system before having to worry with add-ons that might be received as the next Kinect.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
A Game changer is something that produces fundamental change, usually for the better. Lone Echo / Echo VR clearly fits this description. I have no idea what you're trying to prove here.
What about lone echo is a game changer? It took an existing genre, and added motion controls, and head tracking.

VR is neat and all, but it hasn't had a killer app that NEEDS VR to play that game/type of game. Any game that's worth playing in VR currently, can be played outside of VR.

Also they need to sort out motion sickness.

Jun 22, 2018
I highly doubt Microsoft, of all companies, hasn't invested in VR experimentation. However, it is worth noting that MS has progressively started to revert to its software routes and it is reaping huge rewards for them. I think it is more important to MS to push the hardware taht is selling -namely surface pros and xbox- before pushing another piece of hardware.

Don't forget, including kinect with the Xbox One did a lot of harm.
Microsoft has invested lots into VR, AR, and MR. They're working to establish standards to make different headsets more compatible with software being written and to make support more universal.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
No, I clearly separated the two if you look again.

Okay, no. That is just plain false. VR can isolating, but only if you want it to be. Otherwise, you can play party games or asymmetrical games with people on your couch. Beat Saber in particular has probably been the main source of life at many thousands of parties worldwide. Not to mention that VR multiplayer is far more social than any other form of multiplayer gaming. So basically, if you allow it to be, VR is the most socially connecting technology on the planet.

An avatar today cannot replace someone being right next to you, but in 5-10 years it very well could aside from physical touch.

So this is talking about local play only, correct? This is still false. Because you have VR games with local play. Sure, the person with the headset cannot see the real world today but I already mentioned that the headset would reconstruct reality in a few years and let you see real life merged with VR. When that happens, VR becomes just as social if not more so since the person looking at the TV would see your body movement and be reacting to you as a person.
And here's where I bow out of the conversation. Nothing you said in that specific previous comment was about online, and suddenly we're into future hypotheticals. You're saying that these current tech limitations are solved with far-off solutions, when present-tense was obviously being discussed.

When those solutions actually arrive, then I may actually agree with you. But you're arguing that VR local play is more sociable than other multiplayer games because 'Ready Player One' could exist in 10 years.

Good luck with that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Reference them in what way? Just last month I recall shuhei and Shawn layden congratulating xbox /Phil on Forza Horizon 4 winning at TGA, which is way classier than what Greenberg did in the acceptance speech which was to advertise Game pass.

Dont even bother bringing Greenberg into this. He's the biggest fanboy out of all the execs.

Exec wars are the new console wars.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
User Warned: Console warring
He's also acting a bit funny toward PlayStation recently.

Although this was my favourite reply.

Haa that's amazing. In all seriousness, he's right though. It probably doesn't make financial sense, and more importantly, the xbox crowd isn't asking for VR. If they did, I'm sure Microsoft would provide support immediately. They are tremendous towards their user base and their voices.

Sony fans may have decently fun play sessions with VR, but there are also a boatload of features we have been demanding and they've just laughed in our faces.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
What about lone echo is a game changer? It took an existing genre, and added motion controls, and head tracking.

VR is neat and all, but it hasn't had a killer app that NEEDS VR to play that game/type of game. Any game that's worth playing in VR currently, can be played outside of VR.

Have you even played the game? The way it controls is unlike anything done before in gaming. It's a level of movement and freedom of interaction that is entirely different from previous paradigms. Add in Echo VR to get the social aspect and it just takes it to another level of uniqueness. It's too early to coin terms for new genres, but if anything, Echo VR feels like a brand new genre of gaming, whatever it might be called.

It's not a killer app, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's a gamechanger. Gamechangers are not automatic killer apps.

Any game that's worth playing in VR currently, can be played outside of VR.
You cannot play games like Lone Echo / Echo VR, Astro Bot, Sprint Vector outside of VR. They are fundamentally impossible without being different games. And while there are VR ports that can be played outside, in most cases, people prefer the VR versions.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This is an incredibly unfair dismissal of Lone Echo/Echo Arena. The game requires room scale/1:1 hand tracking to function. It controls and plays in a way that other platforms couldn't match.

And the entire design of Lone Echo's traversal is their answer to 'sorting out' motion sickness. It's remarkably effective.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In the New Year, Microsoft's Mike Ybarra offered this response to Cliff Bleszinski regarding the current prosperity of Virtual Reality: "Google Earth is cool but not even close to what is needed to make the tech worthwhile. Sigh."

While some gamers cheered, lots of others expressed disappointed with his attitude. It feels what Ybarra is truly saying is, the enterprise is not financially rewarding enough to motivate us into further action, so we'll continue to sit on our hands and pooh-pooh from the sidelines until the benefits are more obvious.

A far cry from what Phil Spencer said last year about pushing the boundaries of creative gaming even when the reward is not immediate:

Or maybe Mike Ybarra's stance is partly dictated by a lack of foresight and the technical limitation of the base Xbox One - or both?

It's just a preacher rethorical trick to endorse his congregation to accept a church decision.

Maybe there is an existing linguistic classification for that trick but it doesn't ring a bell immediately for me.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As great as PSVR is, I dont blame any company for waiting to get into VR until it's in much better shape than it is now.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I just can't see VR reaching its potential while the most capable headsets require the player to be tethered. I feel the player needs freedom of movement including the ability to turn around.

I think Ybarra's attitude comes from the notion that while the tech is advancing it is not quite where it needs to be for a killer app.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's just a preacher rethorical trick to endorse his congregation to accept a church decision.

Maybe there is an existing linguistic classification for that trick but it doesn't ring a bell immediately for me.

And thus, it doesn't really have anything to do with microsofts actual stance on vr. The whole premise of the thread is based on misunderstanding of what a tweet like this is for.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I hear someone say that someone positive on VR is just trying to justify their purchase of a bad product, it always baffles me. Are there a lot of examples of this then?

You'd think someone who got burned on VR would be more likely to be a detractor than a proponent? 🤷🏾‍♂️

I mean why hang on to it and tell everyone that it's great? You're more likely to sell it and tell everyone it's shite.

Weird....

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The console wars are strong in this thread...

It's fine that Microsoft are being cautious with VR. VR is incredible but it's still neither mainstream or a perfect tech yet. It's also fine for Sony to try and bring VR to the mainstream and they have given many people great experiences along the way.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't see VR reaching its potential while the most capable headsets require the player to be tethered. I feel the player needs freedom of movement including the ability to turn around.

I think Ybarra's attitude comes from the notion that while the tech is advancing it is not quite where it needs to be for a killer app.
Have you played VR? I agree that the next big steps are wireless and also improved visuals but you can most definitely turn around in VR...very rarely do I find the wire on the headset distracting

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I guess they want a wide reach. VR is still considered a niche addon in the marketplace. Not only that, not everyone can tolerate VR. I personally have a few friends that cannot play more than 10 mins due to feeling dizzy or small headache.

Ultimately, MS wants to focus on fixing their library system before having to worry with add-ons that might be received as the next Kinect.

A wide reach should include VR imo. Especially when you invest in AR, which is even more niche.
I just can't see the disadvantage to Xbox having it. They take away one of their competitor's USP, they appeal to a wider market, and they make more money. Meanwhile their player base gets extra options.

As for some people not being able to use VR, you could say that about some genres of games. I know some people who can't play FPS without feeling the need to vom.

I agree with regards to their library though. They need to sort that out. Nothing stopping them from adding in VR too though.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Have you played VR? I agree that the next big steps are wireless and also improved visuals but you can most definitely turn around in VR...very rarely do I find the wire on the headset distracting
Most of the most vocal detractors happen to have minimal to no experience with VR. It is what it is...

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Sony has, except for the wireless part. And they've invested in first party VR games too.

It may not be mass market, but it's selling very well and analysts predict big things for VR in the years to come. Meanwhile, Xbox gamers don't have the option, and that's a damn shame imo.
ive used psvr, it is barely just passable tech wise.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Is your experience mostly with PSVR? Woth proper room scale VR the wire is definitely a problem. Thus Vive users paying hundreds to add on a third party wireless solution. It's not so much of a problem with seated/mostly forward facing games.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is your experience mostly with PSVR? Woth proper room scale VR the wire is definitely a problem. Thus Vive users paying hundreds to add on a third party wireless solution. It's not so much of a problem with seated/mostly forward facing games.
Yes only PSVR thus far. I don't have a capable PC mad don't really have a lot of room to play with at home. But to be honest I'm always playing standing up and can still take a few steps around the small play area I am in.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Neither? They have a VR platform and tech for very advanced headsets, they just don't see the value of adding it to a console yet.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
While some gamers cheered, lots of others expressed disappointed with his attitude. It feels what Ybarra is truly saying is, the enterprise is not financially rewarding enough to motivate us into further action, so we'll continue to sit on our hands and pooh-pooh from the sidelines until the benefits are more obvious.

That sounds like exactly what a smart business does.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Yes only PSVR thus far. I don't have a capable PC mad don't really have a lot of room to play with at home. But to be honest I'm always playing standing up and can still take a few steps around the small play area I am in.

It's more about turning around 360 multiple times. A lot of room scale games you'll turn 180 and then play for ages even looking at your TV because your cameras are around you. You definitely get wrapped up sometimes.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
You know what I find weird about the XB execs is that they constantly reference Sony/PS4 and I've never seen, or at least I don't remember, Sony referencing them. I'm sure if you look you'll find the odd tweet here or there throughout the span of this gen but Mike and especially Greenberg seem really focused on Playstation. The excuse used to be that someone asked them about PS in an interview but that's rarely the case on social media. It's a interesting contrast.

Just an observation...

Ybarra playing God of War on Mixer is a smart thing to do. It shows that he is a gamer at heart, but still promoting a Microsoft product. Everyone should enjoy as many great games as they possibly can! Be it from watching streams or playing themselves i
Pretty much. Not like I'm the one who bought it up. Don't see why people want to see their execs bring up the competitors in their tweets.

Most of the times it's very positive tho. Spencer congratulating Sony on a good release, Ybarra playing God of War on Mixer, Layden congratulating Spencer on FH4, etc.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm talking about slights and jabs at PS. I guess the fact that PS doesn't feel the need to do this speaks volumes.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Even in stuff like Sparc and Superhot, the cable isn't more than an annoyanceb (I have around 2x3m play area). What type of setups are there for Vive users that makes it a deal breaker?

Honestly I just thought it was people that could afford it, choosing to simplifying their setup.

It's more about turning around 360 multiple times.
Aah okay. I don't tend to get turned around much, but I do recall playing RE7 by physically turning and the cable getting wound up. Still, is need a bit more disposable income before I'd drop 2-300 to get rid of the cable.

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are yall talking about that tweet anyways? That was already talked about in another thread.

Anyways, Microsoft is focused on mixed Reality through Windows. There won't be a device that is tied to the console. It will be a standalone device... Not tethered. Just let it go. MS doesn't need to do VR until it makes sense for them and the technology is there. Xbox doesn't need to lead the way for that. VR is still early.

Edit:
Also, are we really questioning MS in technical foresight? As if MS hasn't been early in so many technologies that's been created. That's funny.
Technology (hardware + APIs + software) is already here. The games (on PSVR and PCVR) we had last year are proof enough. They just aren't able to master it internally otherwise they would have kept their promise when they pledged XBX would have VR.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more about turning around 360 multiple times. A lot of room scale games you'll turn 180 and then play for ages even looking at your TV because your cameras are around you. You definitely get wrapped up sometimes.
Yeah it's definitely not something I've come across, most because I haven't really played a lot of games that require a ton of movement.

There are times where I take the headset off and don't understand how the hell I move so far away from my original spot when I started playing. I'm just like:

tenor.gif

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Even in stuff like Sparc and Superhot, the cable isn't more than an annoyanceb (I have around 2x3m play area). What type of setups are there for Vive users that makes it a deal breaker?

Honestly I just thought it was people that could afford it, choosing to simplifying their setup.

Oh yeah it's no more than a annoyance. I just step over it. I'm an Oculus/PSVR user so no wireless solution here (that I know of?). It's not invisible though and it does kinda take me out of it. I've got good at stepping over it though!

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's defo itrly not something I've come across, most because I haven't really played a lot of games that require a ton of movement.

There are times where I take the headset off and don't understand how the hell I move so far away from my original spot when I started playing. I'm just like:

tenor.gif

I put something soft on the ground to check with my toes once in awhile because yes the tendency is to wander off little by little ha.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No, your attempted derailing of your own thread by posting completely unrelated tweets does that.

His behaviour is connected by the fact PlayStation designed PS4 to support VR and Xbox did not. They have been hamstrung by this decision ever since. PlayStation is doing very well this generation; something that seems to irk Mike Ybarra. I first got wind of this during the God of War stream when Ybarra momentarily began pandering to spectators who suggested GoW was closer to a movie than a video game. You can also dismiss his cashier anecdote as fun and I'd be fine with that, but his subsequent E3 jibe (even before he knows what Sony have planned in their absence) strikes me as unhumorous. In case you still don't get it, I'm asserting that Mike Ybarra, maybe, just maybe, is an incy-wincy bit bitter toward PlayStation. I get it. Honestly I do. At some point however you've got to recognize, as I hope Phil Spencer does, that there is common ground and growth areas that need the support of all major parties. VR is one of those areas imo.