• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think you're kind of missing it there. Ybarra is simply disseminating a talking point for their online fan base to repeat. They do this all the time.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Sony wasn't involved in Tetris Effect or The Persistence.

Sony's 2018 VR lineup was Astrobot, Bravo Team, Deracine, The Inpatient, Firewall, and Wipeout Omega Collection.

This was probably the Xbox One's worst year, and they had Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves, and State of Decay 2.

I mean, you're welcome to your opinion, but I'd say Forza Horizon 4 alone is a better experience than all those VR games, except Astrobot, combined. In terms of scope I would say Forza Horizon 4 is actually bigger than all of those games combined, so I really don't think it's far to say that PSVR has better support than the Xbox One does.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn´t mean to say produced by Sony. I wanted to say exclusive , or at least so far, to PSVR.
If I´m not mistaken The Persistance comes to PC on July 2019 and I don´t know about Tetris Effect.
Yeah it may be a little unfair to say that on Xbox One´s wrost year but it is what it is right ? It´s not PSVR fault that Xbox had a terrible year.
If we look into 2018 and see both Sony efforts on PSVR and MS efforts on Xbox, in my honestly opinion Sony´s line up is better. Wich is kinda insane cause like I said PSVR is a secondary plataform to Sony and Xbox is MS primary plataform. The simple fact that we can discuss this show how it´s debatable. I mean I don´t think anyone would come and say Xbox had a better than PS4.
Anyway I was just answering the guy who said that "Sony dropped VR like they always do" when in reality Sony is doing a great job supporting PSVR. If it´s best or worse than the support that others plataforms are getting is just a matter of opinion.

Lol, PSVR is non existent in the realms of gaming and it has no perception problems like the Xbox One has. Even with no perception problems, PSVR sells less than the Vita when it was in circulation.

Ok, I guess...but what this has to do with the discussion ?

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Okay, no. That is just plain false. VR can isolating, but only if you want it to be. Otherwise, you can play party games or asymmetrical games with people on your couch. Beat Saber in particular has probably been the main source of life at many thousands of parties worldwide. Not to mention that VR multiplayer is far more social than any other form of multiplayer gaming. So basically, if you allow it to be, VR is the most socially connecting technology on the planet.
Holy hyperbole, Batman. I don't doubt that asymmetrical VR multiplayer can be entertaining, but this is just fanboyish. You can't get 'more social' wearing a video blindfold, where you can't see the people sitting next to you. You can definitely feel more immersed in the game world (at least one of you can be), but to call it the highest form of social interaction in gaming is ludicrous.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Holy hyperbole, Batman. I don't doubt that asymmetrical VR multiplayer can be entertaining, but this is just fanboyish. You can't get 'more social' wearing a video blindfold, where you can't see the people sitting next to you. You can definitely feel more immersed in the game world (at least one of you can be), but to call it the highest form of social interaction in gaming is ludicrous.
I said multiplayer gaming, meaning online. It's objectively more social in that no matter what you say. The presence of another human being with tracked avatars and spatial voice vs voice chat on discord. Which is more social?

When you have people sitting next to you, you can either shut them off completely, shut them off slightly (have your microphone pick up their voice to relay to your headphones) or in the near future, don't shut them off at all, as they would be real-time scanned into your VR experience.

That's only when you play games that are meant to be for yourself. When you play party games or asymmetrical games, you are experiencing that with other people in the room. In a way this can be more social because instead of two people staring at a screen, one person would stare at a screen and see your body movements on the screen. As more of our bodies are tracked, this will feel more social.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): platform wars, inflammatory generalisations
That first page is classic Sony fancentral era drowning on the kool aid.

Calling Ybarra negative when all you niggas were cumming in your pants over those banderas naugty dog gifs.

Makes it even funnier considering Ybarra has played Sony games on his mixer stream.

Jun 22, 2018
Kinect 2.0 was rejected by people because it was aimed at casual gamers and this audience had moved on to tablets and phones.
VR is aimed at the usual core audience.

If Xbox execs dont understand their business enough to realize that and make that distinction I would be very disappointed and have very little hope for Xbox when it comes to making the right decisions for the future.

But I also dont think its too late to jump on the VR bandwagon.
Either by supporting existing headsets on Xbox in the future or by going all in when second gen VR hits: Wireless, 4k displays, foveated rendering.

To become a mass market product VR will need all that at a pricepoint around 200$.
Core audience or not, the low attach rate of PSVR suggests it's a hard sell right now.

It's not worth spending a significant portion of their energy on console VR if such a small portion of their customers are even interested in it right now. They have more beneficial things to spend their time and money on.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think the idea of a killer app is pretty ridiculous.

The notion of a 'killer app' feels so 1990s. A single piece of software that, on its own, is so impressive and compelling a large number of people run out and buy the hardware. When in reality what VR needs most is an ever expanding array of good games that take advantage of the medium. Enough to keep it moving forward as the technology gets even better.

I knew this was the real agenda behind your thread, now you've confirmed it.

My views on VR's infancy, long-term potential, and hope, that Microsoft will get behind console VR is longstanding and predate the creation of this thread. Your accusation of bad faith says more about your reaction to this topic than about my continuing disappointment with Microsoft's standoffish stance.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
VR requires a fair bit of support from platform holders, vs third parties, in terms of content investment right now.

Microsoft has struggled with their own content pipeline this gen. They're not yet in the right place to support two distinct content portfolios (or 'one and a half' or however you want to characterize it').

It's a shame because I think VR could benefit from a strong third platform but MS isn't in shape to be that right now. And wasn't in shape when VR was re-emerging midway through the gen. They probably need to focus on their primary screen and getting that house in order first and foremost before branching out.

Ybarra's comments, 'arrogant MS'-humour aside, are just a matter of 'what would you expect him to say?'.

Deleted member 50969

Banned
Dec 17, 2018
The Vita was built upon many handhelds that came before. It's a late generation device. VR is in it's first generation. Expectations are completely different because no one knows what VR is yet aside from a small group. Everyone (or many people) knew what a handheld console was when Vita launched.

VR has some of the biggest and awesome companies backing it and its still floundering. I'll wait and see if the Oculus Quest can do anything but I just can't see it.

Ok, I guess...but what this has to do with the discussion ?

You claimed that the PSVR is being managed better than the XB1 which isn't true. Low attach rate and people barely talking about its games isn't a good look.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moss, Firewall Zero Hour, Astro Bot, Borderlands 2, Wipeout, Tetris Effect, Sprint Vector, Beat Saber, The Persistence. There has been plenty of great games released on PSVR this year.

I never said ther wasn't any great games but that is not plentiful at all. How do we expect VR to really take off with such limited funding? You can add up all those games and that would still be less of a investment than a game like God of War had. It takes money to make money and as I said from the beginning it is being treated as a peripheral.

I have Oculus, I want bigger games. Most are just VR experiences. Once in awhile we get great titles like Lone Echo, Robo Recall and Astro Bot but for the most part they are small scale. It's never going to be a killer app until everyone is onboard.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's also acting a bit funny toward PlayStation recently.

Although this was my favourite reply.

You know what I find weird about the XB execs is that they constantly reference Sony/PS4 and I've never seen, or at least I don't remember, Sony referencing them. I'm sure if you look you'll find the odd tweet here or there throughout the span of this gen but Mike and especially Greenberg seem really focused on Playstation. The excuse used to be that someone asked them about PS in an interview but that's rarely the case on social media. It's a interesting contrast.

Just an observation...

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Lol at the comments here: he's right, there is no big VR game that is attracting the masses right now, and the state of the market is such a niche that investing on new technologies is a big risk. Why would you?

If Sony, HTC/Valve or Oculus/Facebook find a way to make this business successful than good for them, MS can always join later, otherwise it's wiser to save those money for new acquisitions and a stronger first party lineup.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
VR has some of the biggest and awesome companies backing it and its still floundering. I'll wait and see if the Oculus Quest can do anything but I just can't see it.
Because it's only been 3 years. Did you see any such success in smartphones in less than 10 years? Or PCs in under 15 years? We didn't. Nothing gets there that fast.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
It's weird. VR is this interesting concept that I love playing whenever I try it (just bought a PSVR with Rush of Blood and Astrobots; friend has a vive we use sometimes), but there is nothing on there that made me want to rush out and buy one like with a Switch or PS4. Also you'll never get over the entry level being higher than that of consoles themselves.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue that Microsoft are putting far more effort into creating a sustainable VR platform than Sony are - they're just not bringing it to Xbox (yet).

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I never said ther wasn't any great games but that is not plentiful at all. How do we expect VR to really take off with such limited funding? You can add up all those games and that would still be less of a investment than a game like God of War had. It takes money to make money and as I said from the beginning it is being treated as a peripheral.

I have Oculus, I want bigger games. Most are just VR experiences. Once in awhile we get great titles like Lone Echo, Robo Recall and Astro Bot but for the most part they are small scale. It's never going to be a killer app until everyone is onboard.
Plentiful refers to quantity. No one said anything about budget until you just mentioned it right now. Yes, budgets are not at that level yet, but that doesn't undermine the fact that the library is growing. If you're looking for a God of War budget game, then it's a good thing we have 5 AAA VR games on the way now.

Jun 7, 2018
Personally, qualms with the Oculus is the cabling that has to be routed throughout the room and the extra extenders and mounts that need to be purchased to make it a pleasant experience. Honestly, something like Kinect along with IR on the visor would do wonders to make it easier out of the box. Couple that with a wireless headset and you have something pretty awesome.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
I played VR 20 years ago

I wouldn't call this 'first-generation'
20 years ago we had a VR push by a handful of small-time companies that no one really knows about. There wasn't a single big company supporting consumer VR back then. The first time a big company actually released a VR headset was 2015 with Samsung's Gear VR.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
I said multiplayer gaming, meaning online. It's objectively more social in that no matter what you say. The presence of another human being with tracked avatars and spatial voice vs voice chat on discord. Which is more social?

When you have people sitting next to you, you can either shut them off completely, shut them off slightly (have your microphone pick up their voice to relay to your headphones) or in the near future, don't shut them off at all, as they would be real-time scanned into your VR experience.

That's only when you play games that are meant to be for yourself. When you play party games or asymmetrical games, you are experiencing that with other people in the room. In a way this can be more social because instead of two people staring at a screen, one person would stare at a screen and see your body movements on the screen. As more of our bodies are tracked, this will feel more social.
You were literally talking about house parties with Beat Saber and asymmetrical gameplay, not online multiplayer.

Regardless, an avatar will never be able to replace a human sitting next to you, talking to you. You're thinking of a LAN setup - I'm thinking games like Mario Kart, Jackbox, PlayLink, SingStar are infinitely more sociable interactions than VR will ever hope to achieve, simply because of the hardware blockage. "Body movement" doesn't necessarily equate to sociability - discussion and meaningful interaction increases that.

VR is great, don't get me wrong but you're deep down the rabbit hole, mate. It's not the cure-all for all our gaming ailments.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
20 years ago we had a VR push by a handful of small-time companies that no one really knows about. There wasn't a single big company supporting consumer VR back then. The first time a big company actually released a VR headset was 2015 with Samsung's Gear VR.
Tons of people played those machines, they were in malls and public places everywhere. It doesn't matter what company produced them, many people experienced them. Owning the headset doesn't really make any difference in the experience

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Honestly until the cost of VR comes down tremendously and the ways to experience it become easier, its not going to become mainstream. Microsoft realizes that, and is choosing instead to focus on normal games more (which, after all the Kinect BS for half a decade is a breath of fresh air).

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Neither? They have a VR platform and provide tech for very advanced headsets, they just don't see the value of adding it to a console yet.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
VR is not ready. It is that simple.

Spencer has talk about this many times. MS also is also investing in AR with a wireless technology.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
They are objectively game changers just by way of how much they change how gaming functions. Lone Echo / Echo VR in particular is a game that is unique in all ~50 years of gaming. How often can you say a game is so unique that nothing has ever been remotely like it, ever?

That's not what that word means.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Both. You can tell that Mike Ybarra doesn't know about games like Astro Bot, Lone Echo / Echo VR, Beat Saber. I mean we still don't have a killer app, but those are close. His attitude would suggest there is nothing even close, which would make him uninformed.

Mike plays more games than most of us tbh. He's good too. I think that's just his personal belief regarding the state of VR software right now. Microsoft had already laid the foundation for VR on Windows and its letting OEMs make the actual headsets.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30005

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sony wasn't involved in Tetris Effect or The Persistence.

Sony's 2018 VR lineup was Astrobot, Bravo Team, Deracine, The Inpatient, Firewall, and Wipeout Omega Collection.

While that is true, Firesprite have been working with Sony since 2014. They produced a lot of post launch content for The Playroom before working on The Persistence. Sony also supported development of Tetris Effect but not exclusively.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Ibarra tweet is so dumb and funny. Like, why the fuck that person would even say "duh I prufurr Playstatiun" in the first place? No rational person does that. I've seen people with PS, Xbox and Nintendo gear and I'd never say anything like "I prefer X thing."

About VR, I personally think it's a waste. Let them build their firsr party's first and maybe in the future they'd want to invest on worthless gimmicks.

between fans? sure. as someone representing MS? no way. that is in my opinion, but seems like most of era doesnt agree, so i guess whatever...
We are not worthy of your decency.

Adam802

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
MS will def pursue VR when its more refined/worthwile. Although there are some neat games that show off VRs potential, Ybarra is right that there's no killer app yet and the tech is indeed still very young. I actually think MS is smart to wait. I'm still more than happy sticking with non-vr games for now.

Hopefully Valve's "HLVR" is real and sets the true bar.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both. You can tell that Mike Ybarra doesn't know about games like Astro Bot, Lone Echo / Echo VR, Beat Saber. I mean we still don't have a killer app, but those are close. His attitude would suggest there is nothing even close, which would make him uninformed.

You don't follow him on Twitter, huh.

Deleted member 11943

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you're pursuing a new method to engage gamers, would you invest more into a streaming platform or a VR suite? Which would seem more lucrative and future-proof based on current market trends?

Streaming is more likely to enable feather weight, desirable goggles. With hardware on board, even the people that want VR at all costs will find the convenience cost is very high.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Spencer has talk about this many times. MS also is also investing in AR with a wireless technology.
Astro Bot and RE7 prove it's ready. The tech needs to become higher resolution and wireless but it's difficult not to stumble across threads singing its praises.
My views on VR's infancy, long-term potential, and hope, that Microsoft will get behind console VR is longstanding and predate the creation of this thread. Your accusation of bad faith says more about your reaction to this topic than about my continuing disappointment with Microsoft's standoffish stance.
No, your attempted derailing of your own thread by posting completely unrelated tweets does that.

Last edited:

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
You were literally talking about house parties with Beat Saber and asymmetrical gameplay, not online multiplayer.

Regardless, an avatar will never be able to replace a human sitting next to you, talking to you. You're thinking of a LAN setup - I'm thinking games like Mario Kart, Jackbox, PlayLink, SingStar are more infinitely more sociable interactions than VR will ever hope to achieve, simply because of the hardware. "Body movement" doesn't necessarily equate to sociability - discussion and meaningful interaction increases that.

VR is great, don't get me wrong but you're deep down the rabbit hole, mate. It's not the cure-all for all our gaming ailments.
No, I clearly separated the two if you look again.

An avatar today cannot replace someone being right next to you, but in 5-10 years it very well could aside from physical touch.

I'm thinking games like Mario Kart, Jackbox, PlayLink, SingStar are more infinitely more sociable interactions than VR will ever hope to achieve
So this is talking about local play only, correct? This is still false. Because you have VR games with local play. Sure, the person with the headset cannot see the real world today but I already mentioned that the headset would reconstruct reality in a few years and let you see real life merged with VR. When that happens, VR becomes just as social if not more so since the person looking at the TV would see your body movement and be reacting to you as a person.

Finally, you can mix physical and virtual with a setup that reconstructs reality. I can be on my couch next to my friend whilst inside a much better virtual house on a virtual couch alongside some friends that are 5000 miles away and the important part is I can still see the person next to me physically exactly as normal. You need to understand that part. I can see everyone in every reality all at the same time no different than reality.

"Body movement" doesn't necessarily equate to sociability - discussion and meaningful interaction increases that.
If you are looking at body movement on a TV, then you are still focused on them as a person and not some random character in a video game. If you are inside VR and seeing body movement, then you get spatial sound, eventually haptics, and most importantly you get social presence where you feel like you are literally together physically. Meaningful interaction is literally the domain of VR by the way.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
VR isn't a peripheral, which immediately breaks your whole argument. Likewise, a peripheral can still grow to be very large anyway. PSVR alone has had better support in 2 years with 3-4 million sales than Kinect had over 7 years with tens of millions of sales.

It's a peripheral on the PlayStation, and it'd be one on the Xbox.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I just never really see anybody talking about it I guess.
To be fair that's a problem with VR in general, not any particular publisher. But as far as promotions go - Sony has had PSVR bundle-promos at least once per quarter in 2018, and on PSN it's not even a contest in terms of what VR content has the most visibility.
In any case - sales speak for themselves - top 10 PSVR is literally 90% Sony developed/published software - like I said, the only place I've seen 1st party dominate this bad is Nintendo consoles before. Not even Oculus (who has been spending a lot of money on 1st party too) seems to be this dominant on their own store.

I've been looking at everything released since my initial post, and AstroBot certainly seems great, but not anything I'd want to buy a PSVR for(and this is coming from a mega platformer fan).
Like with VR itself, seeing this game in video tells you nothing about the experience itself. Coming from perspective of hundreds of VR experiences, titles and other media as well as working in the medium, AstroBot doesn't just stand tall, it basically makes most of what's in VR to date look - uninteresting in comparison. And that's coming from someone that's not even a huge platformer fan.

I still don't think the technology is advanced enough(and cheap enough) for it to catch on and make people prefer to play that way over a traditional gaming method.
I've said it many times before - VR as a medium is competing with entertainment like amusement parks - not traditional gaming. It'll attract mainstream on its own terms when tech gets out of the way - not as a 'second screen'.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I find weird about the XB execs is that they constantly reference Sony/PS4 and I've never seen, or at least I don't remember, Sony referencing them. I'm sure if you look you'll find the odd tweet here or there throughout the span of this gen but Mike and especially Greenberg seem really focused on Playstation. The excuse used to be that someone asked them about PS in an interview but that's rarely the case on social media. It's a interesting contrast.

Just an observation...
Reference them in what way? Just last month I recall shuhei and Shawn layden congratulating xbox /Phil on Forza Horizon 4 winning at TGA, which is way classier than what Greenberg did in the acceptance speech which was to advertise Game pass.

Dont even bother bringing Greenberg into this. He's the biggest fanboy out of all the execs.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Tons of people played those machines, they were in malls and public places everywhere. It doesn't matter what company produced them, many people experienced them. Owning the headset doesn't really make any difference in the experience
You are confusing arcade VR / enterprise VR with consumer VR. The VR you saw in malls was not consumer VR. Likewise, the computers of the 1950s/60s were not consumer computers, aka PCs.

Also owning a headset completely changes the experience of modern VR, because arcades only demo well, demos. They also don't really demo the social aspect of VR, and very rarely demo telepresence or other useful aspects of VR. Put it this way, you're not going to find a demo of Lone Echo / Echo VR anywhere.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018

Seems pretty ready to me when I'm playing on it. I mean, AR isn't ready, the tech isn't there, but they're pushing ahead with it. They could use that wireless tech for a VR headset. Hell, they don't even need their own one, just give support for a third party one.