• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
We all know that Halo Infinite is going to be playable on Xbox One (regular or X) and Xbox Series X, apart from PC. From what I have understood, you will be able to play the same blu ray disc on both systems (Smart Delivery they call it I think), so.. Isn´t Microsoft going to release a SKU for Halo Infinite in a Xbox Series X game case?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume they'll just have the case say Playable on Xbox or something

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
No, it'll be one case and have some sort of badging that says "Plays on Xbox One and Series X" or something to that affect.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Probably stick with Xbox One cases for a couple years with a tag that says "enhanced on Xbox Series X", and then a couple years from now it'll go the other way (Xbox One X cases with tags that say "playable on Xbox One").

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
images

They will probably do something like this.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be just like games say whether they are X enhanced or not today. For first party games at least.

Third party games it's unclear at this point, but it so far looks like MS will allow them to make separate SKUs should they so choose.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Good chance of it being a single SKU on a regular BD disc with "plays on Xbox One and Series X" badging similar to current retail BC games. There would be a download for improved assets and any necessary patches.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think they'll probably redesign the packaging to use the new vertical Xbox logo lockup, not unlike the logo in the corner of Switch packaging. (We'll probably lose the weird printing on the plastic in favor of just putting the banner on the full-height paper insert.)

And then for cross-gen titles, they'll add "Also Plays on Xbox One" below that.

Third parties will likely have the choice of using the old or new packaging styles, depending on where they think they'll get the majority of their sales. Microsoft will definitely promote Halo Infinite, Forza 8, etc. as next-gen titles first and foremost.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I'm pretty sure they announced the disc was going to be the same but the console would decide which assets to install / download+install.

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019
It'll probably just say "XBOX" at the top.

I expect this with maybe something on the back with "playable on:
✅ Xbox One
✅ Xbox One S
✅ Xbox One X
✅ Xbox Series S
✅ Xbox Series X"

and over time maybe even some models get ❌ next to them. Similar to compatibility listing of an app in the App Store.

edit: fixed autocorrect error

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
No. You don't buy different skus for different PC configurations. You won't buy different skus for different Xbox configs.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've announced a feature called Smart Delivery, which installs the appropriate package based on your console.

news.xbox.com

What You Can Expect From the Next Generation of Gaming - Xbox Wire

The future of gaming has never been more inspiring. Creativity in games is flourishing. New services empower you to discover more games—and bring you closer to the games and creators and streamers you love. The cloud creates a massive opportunity to stream console-quality games and play with the...

• Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you're playing on. We're making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I think it will just say XBOX and then under it you'll see something that says "Enhanced on Xbox Series X"

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
✅ Xbox One
✅ Xbox One S
✅ Xbox One X
✅ Xbox Series S
✅ Xbox Series X"

and over time maybe even some models get ❌ next to them. Similar to compatibility listing of an app in the App Store.

Will be interesting to see if this happens and one X gets support for much longer than expected.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
No. With the promise that anyone who owns a game on Xbox One will get its Series X version for free, once you buy a game, it will work on either console.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No they have clearly stated that there will be one game and smart delivery will handle the rest

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It's a developer choice, but I believe they won't for first party games.

I hope Sony follows suit.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's a developer choice, but I believe they won't for first party games.

I hope Sony follows suit.

Cross-buy was an option for developers to support for PS3 and PS4 games; I can't imagine it wouldn't be for PS4/PS5 games.

I think Sony's teams will support it. I'm sure SE will 100% not support it and instead sell an enhanced PS5 version of FFVIIR next year.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Physical media makes this quite complex as it's likely the game will have significant changes to assets between platforms. For example expect much bigger textures on XSX.

I'm sure the disc will work on both but if they don't have seperate versions then expect one of the platforms to have an additional download or a seperate disc in the box.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Either a game supports all the Xbox One family of consoles or it doesn't.

What's the difference between supporting series x/s plus x if a dev chooses to build in that support? It will be pretty rare I assume but I could see it happening. Dev says hey we are happy to make this work on the x but the one and s are too underpowered. MS will tell them no?

Probably I guess.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between supporting series x/s plus x if a dev chooses to build in that support? It will be pretty rare I assume but I could see it happening. Dev says hey we are happy to make this work on the x but the one and s are too underpowered. MS will tell them no?

Probably I guess.
I don't know how you can see it happening when it's against policy. Yes, MS will tell them NO.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
✅ Xbox One
✅ Xbox One S
✅ Xbox One X
✅ Xbox Series S
✅ Xbox Series X"

I like this solution alongside a unified case for all Xbox games. However, I do think you can make it as simple as possible for customers.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I think the real question is will be there be a UHD blu ray in the box?

I believe the VCR Xbox One only plays regular Blu Rays. I think it is has been brought up before, but I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.

Civzy

Mar 21, 2019

Probably I guess.
I don't know how you can see it happening when it's against policy. Yes, MS will tell them NO.

I think Team Xbox has been extremely clear about their messaging with giving developers freedom to create their games how they want. I'd say there'd be a scenario or two where a One X but not S game comes out. Honestly, with Doom 64 running at 1440P on S and 1080P the launch console I see there being a one-off scenario of a game that doesn't run on the launch console. I don't see Microsoft doing this though. I think they'd go with all One consoles or no One consoles. If you're making Assassins Creed and see however many Xbox One X consoles in the wild though, and can get a somewhat stable 30 FPS on AC 2021 I don't see Microsoft not allowing it.

I like this solution alongside a unified case for all Xbox games. However, I do think you can make it as simple as possible for customers.

I think Microsoft has faith in their consumer as well. They had success with the all digital without fear of the mythical grandma getting confused. Apple has faith in their App Store. There might even be temporary branding in retail boxes like a sticker on the outside of the plastic that says "only Xbox Series S and newer supported" but under the plastic the packaging is identical.

Entirely just theorizing though. I welcome being wrong but this kind of scenario clicks in my head.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smart delivery solves this question.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I think the real question is will be there be a UHD blu ray in the box?

I believe the VCR Xbox One only plays regular Blu Rays. I think it is has been brought up before, but I don't think anyone knows for sure yet.

Yea, I'm interested to see if they ship games on 100GB UHD discs and have a way via software for the launch Xbox One to be able to grab what it needs.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
i think they said that you just buy an xbox version and the system will dl the best version based on console

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For physical discs, of course they will. Unless you can't play physical games without an internet connection. And that didn't work out too well for them last time.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Like others have said because of smart delivery for the first year or so all it has to say is 'Xbox'. I'm guessing 1st party Series X exclusives will start next fall and then they might say 'Xbox Series' or whatever.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think Team Xbox has been extremely clear about their messaging with giving developers freedom to create their games how they want. I'd say there'd be a scenario or two where a One X but not S game comes out. Honestly, with Doom 64 running at 1440P on S and 1080P the launch console I see there being a one-off scenario of a game that doesn't run on the launch console. I don't see Microsoft doing this though. I think they'd go with all One consoles or no One consoles. If you're making Assassins Creed and see however many Xbox One X consoles in the wild though, and can get a somewhat stable 30 FPS on AC 2021 I don't see Microsoft not allowing it.

I think Microsoft has faith in their consumer as well. They had success with the all digital without fear of the mythical grandma getting confused. Apple has faith in their App Store. There might even be temporary branding in retail boxes like a sticker on the outside of the plastic that says "only Xbox Series S and newer supported" but under the plastic the packaging is identical.

Entirely just theorizing though. I welcome being wrong but this kind of scenario clicks in my head.

What success do you think they had with all digital? I don't think it sold many units at all, at least not until the fire sale (that's when I got one).

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they will have separate versions. Games that are compatible with smart delievery will have an identifier saying they work on the other console.