• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhat joking in the title but there are a lot of smaller ips that now Microsoft own and they want a continuous flow on gamepass. I assume that Microsoft now owns them and all the tech?

The Evil within is one of my favorite series but a sequel is far from guaranteed. The second game runs on the STEM engine , wich is a modefyed id tech engine so much groundwork is already done.

My hope is that we will se more megaman 2- ish games on gamepass. That is sequel's that use the same engine and doesn't change gameplay that much. I think that would be a good thing and for fans of smaller ips that don't necessary gets the AAA treatment.

Do you agree?
And are there any other ips that we will se on gamepass that we otherwise wouldn't get a sequel to?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think it gives Tango a bunch of stability, which is nice. Iunno if it means anything for Evil Within in particular.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Yes it is. MS infinite supply of money means better games for us. Look at Halo Infinite or even Scalebound. /s

Last edited:

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Yes it is. MS infinite supply of money means better games for us. Look at Halo Infinite or even Scalebound.
What are you talking about? Financial stability versus internal studio woes are two totally different things. The studios that were good at producing games before will continue to do so.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I mean, if it gets us closer to an Evil Within 3 I have no reason to complain.

OP
OP
Bookman

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just about money. Tango is doing that this wire thing (?) and it isn't certain that they want to go back to evil within. Im thinking that in theese cases Microsoft probably don't want a lot of ips not being used and probably would support an other developer working on that ip.

My argument is sort of that that is better then the alternative wich could be that we never get a sequel.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
nXile made a game called "Hunted: Demon's Forge" that Zenimax published.

Just sayin'

For reals, tho: WET remaster on Xbox and PC, plz.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
It's not just about money. Tango is doing that this wire thing (?) and it isn't certain that they want to go back to evil within. Im thinking that in theese cases Microsoft probably don't want a lot of ips not being used and probably would support an other developer working on that ip.

My argument is sort of that that is better then the alternative wich could be that we never get a sequel.

A sequel to TEW?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice to have an Evil Within with the production values to compete with current Resident Evil.

Who knows?

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I dont disagree. But what do mean 'good'?
Studios that release games on a regular basis without hiccups like Tango, or Arkane or id etc. My point was being owned by MS won't make or break a studios culture and dev process. The issues that exist at 343 as an example are specific to that studio and not Microsoft problems. Otherwise you would see issues at Turn 10, The Coalition, Rare and others.

OP
OP
Bookman

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice to have an Evil Within with the production values to compete with current Resident Evil.

Who knows?
The success of Resident Evil, and the fact that 15 miljon People probably will be able to try TEW on gamepass can't be negative for us who really wants a sequel.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
They brought them to help push console preordered today.

Seriously, it's just another acquisition to become more of a publisher.

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
I was very happy thinking about it, loved so much TEW and TEW2, still hope to see TEW3 eventually coming out.

Also, more people can enjoy booth games now and Microsoft put TEW in the Bethesda acquisition/welcome announcement, so I think we can dream again.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Sorry, my stupid phone. I meant to write that Tango is doing this other game. Ghostwire: Tokyo so they are not working on a sequel to TEW but since Microsoft owns the ip, why not let someone else make a sequel?

I honestly think TEW has a lot to do with Mikami, I remember reading about it and some of the ideas in the games that Mikami always wanted to implement.

But I think Tango could do another TEW if MS pays for it. The question is: will MS pay for it? They have shown in the past that they are not willing to spend their infinte cash on all their games (Scalebound) and also have backed some poor games (that poorly reviewed shooter, cant remember the name, supposed to use the power of the cloud).

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd only want a TEW 3 if Sebastian and his
daughter
are kept as far as possible from it.

They earned their rest.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Studios that release games on a regular basis without hiccups like Tango, or Arkane or id etc. My point was being owned by MS won't make or break a studios culture and dev process. The issues that exist at 343 as an example are specific to that studio and not Microsoft problems. Otherwise you would see issues at Turn 10, The Coalition, Rare and others.

Rare hasn't really shined though?

Edit: Thinking about it, was Lionhead also not 'good'?

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think TEW has a lot to do with Mikami, I remember reading about it and some of the ideas in the games that Mikami always wanted to implement.

But I think Tango could do another TEW if MS pays for it. The question is: will MS pay for it? They have shown in the past that they are not willing to spend their infinte cash on all their games (Scalebound) and also have backed some poor games (that poorly reviewed shooter, cant remember the name, supposed to use the power of the cloud).

You thinking of Crackdown 3?

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
That's subjective and not the point. They have put out games just fine. It is up to the studios to produce good content. Being owned by Microsoft just gives you the financial piece of the puzzle.

Oh I see now what you mean! Sure, Rare output is totally independent from what MS priorities are. That's why they used to make SP games and now they make GAAS! /s

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Avowed is their Bethesda-clone

The Evil Within will be reborn as their Capcom-clone

Give it time

There's no way they're dropping this much money, looking at the Capcomaissance, and not saying "how can we do that"

OP
OP
Bookman

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017

You are absolutely right about Mikami but he has already worked his Mikami magic so the groundwork is already there. I think there was an other director for the sequel and it was actually better.

I don't think that Tango nessesery Will be the studio that makes the sequel and that could be a bad thing.

" The question is: will MS pay for it?"

Well they have already payed for the ip, the engine and assets? They probably want more games on gamepass?
Wouldn't it sort of make business sense to use the ip?

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
You are absolutely right about Mikami but he has already worked his Mikami magic so the groundwork is already there. I think there was an other director for the sequel and it was actually better.

I don't think that Tango nessesery Will be the studio that makes the sequel and that could be a bad thing.

" The question is: will MS pay for it?"

Well they have already payed for the ip, the engine and assets? They probably want more games on gamepass?
Wouldn't it sort of make business sense to use the ip?

I would be so happy if they announced it.

OP
OP
Bookman

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Avowed is their Bethesda-clone

The Evil Within will be reborn as their Capcom-clone

Give it time

There's no way they're dropping this much money, looking at the Capcomaissance, and not saying "how can we do that"
I agree.
I also agree that it's not the best way to go creativly or that it would be the best games for fans. But there is a chance that we will be plesently surprised.

My point is that it's better then nothing.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
One can only hope Mikami sticks around and continues doing survival horror. Question is if MS has any interest funding it. The dearth of AA/AAA survival horror has been pretty fucking dire for a minute now sans RE. Mikami save us.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
One can only hope Mikami sticks around and continues doing survival horror. Question is if MS has any interest funding it. The dearth of AA/AAA survival horror has been pretty fucking dire for a minute now sans RE. Mikami save us.

Sorry I dont disagree that Mikami is a master of survival horror, but dearth? What about RE2 and 3?

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Do you not know what "sans RE" meant? And yes, two games is not an abundance sorry.

Sorry but what else is there then? Silent Hill?

Anyway, to answer the OP: who knows? Bethesda is known for its SP games, but MS until now has pursued a GAAS strategy. We will see what happens.

Next TEW is a multiplayer GAAS with lootboxes set in the Evil Within universe? Whoops there it goes.

Next TEW is a single player adventure no lootboxes no Gaas? Yay!

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Did the second game sell well enough to potentially fund a third game? Great games but not sure how successful they were in the end.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
If Tango wants to make TEW3 it will get done. They'll have the creative freedom and financial stability to do it.

OP
OP
Bookman

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
Did the second game sell well enough to potentially fund a third game? Great games but not sure how successful they were in the end.

The first game sold about 4 miljons but the sequel didn't sell well at all. Wich is sad because it was a really good game.

It feels like it's a bit niched tho and that's why I don't think it would get a AAA sequel in normal case but could be a AA hit on gamepass

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
I think The Evil Within 3 is a safe bet now, bigger and better than ever before, free from the shackles of "Survivor Horror doesn't sell" cause GamePass will make that void. I think Tango now got the opportunity to go totally crazy, and we will probably see solid work from them.

I absolutely think MS would do it, this is a different MS from the one we know before, and its all thanks to GamePass, I think they would support more SP games, I mean we are having Hellblade 2 in development, and why would MS acquire Bethesda if not to make more SP games.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It just all depends if Tango Gameworks as a studio has any desire to create any more games in that universe or move on.

OP
OP
Bookman

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I think The Evil Within 3 is a safe bet now, bigger and better than ever before, free from the shackles of "Survivor Horror doesn't sell" cause GamePass will make that void. I think Tango now got the opportunity to go totally crazy, and we will probably see solid work from them.

I absolutely think MS would do it, this is a different MS from the one we know before, and its all thanks to GamePass, I think they would support more SP games, I mean we are having Hellblade 2 in development, and why would MS acquire Bethesda if not to make more SP games.
This is fun to read and I really hope that you are right.
As you say, gamepass needs sp games.

It just all depends if Tango Gameworks as a studio has any desire to create any more games in that universe or move on.

Is TEW tied so hard to Tango Gameworks now? If they dont want to make the game, couldent just microsoft just give the ip to another studio?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The ending in The Evil Within 2 was perfect. It was not good, it was not bad, it was perfect for the story that preceeed it. Time to move to something else, I think. :)

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Even if they don't make another it would be smart of Microsoft to have them make another third person horror/action game. Especially with how well RE2 Remake sold and was received, and the possibility of a RE4 Remake would basically be free marketing

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily want it to become an RE-style franchise with a billion games over 20+ years, but I'd like another one. TEW2 pretty much concludes Sebastian's role in this universe but the game intentionally leaves plenty of room for at least one more game that ties up the several loose ends and focuses on different characters.

Is TEW tied so hard to Tango Gameworks now? If they dont want to make the game, couldent just microsoft just give the ip to another studio?

I think it's more that it's a story/world Tango created and isn't necessarily done with yet (I don't think anyone at Tango has expressed that sentiment anyway). In this case I think a lot of whatever small collective fanbase this series has would rather see where Tango would want to take things in a third game, instead of Microsoft handing it off to someone else.

OP
OP
Bookman

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily want it to become an RE-style franchise with a billion games over 20+ years, but I'd like another one. TEW2 pretty much concludes Sebastian's role in this universe but the game intentionally leaves plenty of room for at least one more game that ties up the several loose ends and focuses on different characters.

I think it's more that it's a story/world Tango created and isn't necessarily done with yet (I don't think anyone at Tango has expressed that sentiment anyway). In this case I think a lot of whatever v collective fanbase this series has would rather see where Tango would want to take things in a third game, instead of Microsoft handing it off to someone else.

Well I totally agree. It probably depends on how their new game will be received

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The ending in The Evil Within 2 was perfect. It was not good, it was not bad, it was perfect for the story that preceeed it. Time to move to something else, I think. :)

If I remember correctly the ending leaves things open for another game with Kidman as the lead.
It is probably the end of sebastians story.