• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Microsoft being shortsighted by not supporting VR on the Series X?

• Yes, VR is a growing market and it'll be an even bigger factor on next gen.

Votes: 516 39.5%
  • No, they should put all their focus in traditional gaming experiences.

Votes: 791 60.5%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It would be hard to argue that Microsoft hasn't tried to innovate in some aspects this gen, not only did they push stuff like Backwards Compatibility or Cross Play hard, but they also took the risk of creating a service like Game Pass and putting every single one of their games there on day 1. Not everything they do is a hit with the gaming community (see: Xbox One reveal), but they don't really strike me as risk-averse at least on the software side of their consoles.

However, if we go back a couple months (feels so long ago, I know), this was what Phil Spencer was saying: "I have some issues with VR — it's isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience. We're responding to what our customers are asking for and…nobody's asking for VR"

For a company all about taking risks, this honestly felt... kind of shortsighted to me? Many of the biggest innovations across the tech industry haven't really come because people were asking for them, and while I think it's true VR on Xbox One would be a lost cause, as time goes on more and more VR games are getting popular (there are youtube channels that exclusively play Beat Saber with hundreds of thousands of subscribers, for example). Sony has already confirmed the PS5 is compatible with the PSVR, and the only way to play those games on console will be there: this will eventually become a factor for many.

Yes, it's completely possible that those declarations are only because they don't have a VR headset on the market and they're just doing basic PR, but it also doesn't fill me with confidence that they'll ever do anything with the technology. Imagine the beautiful Halo skyboxes, the intensity of the races in Forza Horizon, or just whatever new experience Rare could come up with, it's a big missed opportunity for me. They could even be pushing towards opening VR on consoles by supporting all headsets instead of designing their own.

What do you think? Is Microsoft being shortsighted by not commiting to supporting VR, or are they right in focusing in traditional experiences?

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I don't think it'll make much of a difference for them as a business, but giving their customers extra options is always a good thing. They clearly don't think enough people will buy into it, and they may possibly be correct, but since When do we stop doing things because less than 50% may want it? Look at how many people buy Halo vs how many people own an Xbox 1, it's less than 50%.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Microsoft should focus on getting their first party line up in a decent place first (which seems to be the case). Sony can afford to experiment with stuff like VR because they already have a healthy portfolio of first party traditional games.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
I suspect they will have Windows MR/HoloLens support in the future.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Nobody's asking for VR" is kind of hard to argue with. It's a platform without a lot of consumer interest.

Hopefully they are setting up the XSX so that you can plug in one of the PC headsets, or transmit a wireless signal to one of the wireless PC headsets.

Last edited:

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I think they should and like you said they have a few IPs that would benefit from VR but honestly they probably should focus on reestablishing themselves as a serious player in the exclusives/ AAA world first.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
I mean, it's not as if it's a permanent stance. Their best bet is to rely on third parties if/when they decide to support VR.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I'm fine with MS just focusing on traditional gaming on Series X since I have basically no interest in VR. That being said I really don't see why they couldn't support 3rd party VR headsets on it.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Maybe they will eventually support it / add support for third party headsets if they are not making one themselves.

In a nutshell, the next gen Xbox will have better hardware resources, and they already are working with third party devs in developing their Mixed Reality / DirectX VR / SteamVR / whatever the names are nowadays platforms on Windows, so I don't think it is much of a long stretch that they could move that over to the next-gen Xbox as well.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they ever said it will never support VR, I'm sure they will explore this as time goes in.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I was looking into this a couple days ago and was surprised to learn that they don't seem to have much interest in pursuing the tech with XSX. What happened to all the HoloLens stuff they were working on?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I suspect they will have Windows MR/HoloLens support in the future.
This sounds like the more logical thing. Series X is more than enough for VR and MS has certainly put lots of money into MR/VR tech. Not that long ago HP/Valve/MS announced a VR headset, so I can see MS just supporting several devices and not just locking users into 1 headset.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I was looking into this a couple days ago and was surprised to learn that they don't seem to have much interest in pursuing the tech with XSX. What happened to all the HoloLens stuff they were working on?

HoloLens is being targeted at businesses, so it doesn't really fit the same market.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I think that MS choosing to communicate they are not supporting VR right now, is the right message.

It's good that Sony plans to, but it could also mean a split focus, which was one of Microsoft's biggest weaknesses last launch.

I would however, love to see them support it in the future, especially if they support all headsets, or even just Vive, Oculus, and Windows Mixed Reality.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I have no issue with them not investing in VR themselves but I'm really annoyed they aren't making the system compatible with current devices. With a box that powerful one thing that to me is a no brainer is VR compatability

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like the more logical thing. Series X is more than enough for VR and MS has certainly put lots of money into MR/VR tech. Not that long ago HP/Valve/MS announced a VR headset, so I can see MS just supporting several devices and not just locking users into 1 headset.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. I don't feel the demand is there to even make that decision yet.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They probably want to focus on the core experience for gaming right now, and their first party studios. Once those are all set up, they may focus on peripheral experiences like VR.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
After focusing on TV at the start of last gen I would rather they focus on gaming, Maybe down the road VR as a option.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just happy Sony is seemingly still all-in with PSVR for PS5. It would be good if Microsoft would allow third party headsets to connect, though.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
VR is niche as fuck but here on Era people make you think everybody has one at home.

They will be fine without it.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see any reason they couldn't still pursue it in the future regardless of what they say now. If the demand is there they could make it work with existing hardware.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for them to wait until console VR is vastly expanded. PSVR is awful hardware. The software library is quite good, but everything about the hardware is a poor experience.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Nope. VR really hasn't moved the needle since it's been readily available the last several years. It may have peaked. It's likely not worth the investment from Microsoft. Maybe they partner with Oculus and get their VR to work with the XSX, but Microsoft should not make an exclusive VR device. The market is way too small.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
They are playing extremely safe. After the Kinect fiasco, they rather sell the console first and then they will try to sell the accessories.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
PSVR had what ... a 1% attach rate? It's super niche, and they clearly don't think it's worth investing their time & money at the moment.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
MS is absolutely correct in not putting any resources into VR (on Xbox) at the moment. There's so little adoption even among PSVR users with the PS4. 5% or less. That's very small and niche. MS percentage would probably be even lower.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
If they want to bring the consumers a VR experience, they'll always have the PC platform to fall back to as a first step. If that works out, then console VR might be a secondary step

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
VR has yet to really break out into the mainstream. When (if?) it ever does then it's not like Xbox can't get up to speed then. They're going VR stuff in the PC space already (Minecraft, Flight Sim) so even then they wouldn't be exactly starting from zero.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No, VR is nothing more than a niche product and wasting time and resources on it would be detrimental to what the console is actually intended to do.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely not.

I'd argue that VR is more of a peripheral than a platform in itself, and like all peripherals, its install base and support from developers is always going to leave a lot to be desired. Publishers are going to continue to treat VR as a fringe technology, because why would you develop for an install base (VR owners) of an install base (Console & PC Gamers) when you can develop for the the first of the two.

Microsoft has learned a lot from its failures in the past two generations. Following generations in which they spread themselves thin between traditional console gameplay and Kinect, and this past generation where they straight up had no games internally - they're not going to repeat those mistakes by doing it again after FINALLY bolstering their 1st party development arm.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I wish they did but also not sure how many people would be really interested in it.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Theyll support it eventually methinks. Its just gonna be a postlaunch thing, maybe so they can make their own propietary headset like Sony and make more profits that way.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I don't think it would be a major factor for the success or failure of their platform, but I don't understand what is preventing them from allowing some third party VR support. Maybe it will happen and they haven't announced it yet, or it will be something that is adopted at some point?

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Microsoft should focus on getting their first party line up in a decent place first (which seems to be the case). Sony can afford to experiment with stuff like VR because they already have a healthy portfolio of first party traditional games.

This is my take as well.

Game pass, cross.play, amd backwards compatibility was a faocus to.right the ship....they took all of this gen to getnwhere they are.

Sony didn't have to.spend a generation doing this, so their focus could be on innovating the tech or ways to.play.

I think Phil might even feel a type of way regarding how Xbox fams screamed they hated the Kinect which i personally thought was cool and separated themselves from PlayStation.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
No, but not because they shouldn't invest in VR.
They should.
But not at this moment because they still have to work out their flat games first.
Once they have a good flow of good releases on their flat side of the things then they should start doing VR.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Yes, they should work on a VR platform.

But currently their focus should be elsewhere. Meanwhile their work on the PC side will help them bringing VR to Xbox at some point.

Blackrobe

Nov 1, 2019
VR has been the most transformative piece of gaming tech in my entire life. I would say yes they are. It's the majority of what I play these days.

If they don't have it on launch, they'll probably be scrambling halfway -> towards of the end of the Series X life cycle.