• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
They'll have to think of a better name as you're already getting confusion compared to mini LED, which is a vastly inferior tech.

I yearn for a true black screen with great motion clarity.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say next gen will be nearly ending before
Micro led is common and affordable.

I think this is a rather optimistic take. Think about OLED, they've been working on it for ages and it barely reaches affordable prices now.

MicroLED or anything similar to it will be the next big thing in the Display market, but as of now they aren't easy to produce. I hope I'm wrong about the time frame.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I'd wait til Samsung releases their 75" 4K model to make any predictions. If that thing's $100k+ you're like a decade away from "affordable" ($2-3k). If it's $30k - 50k you may see $2 - 3k displays by 2025/2026.

Unfortunately, MicroLED is at least five years away from being affordable and common. I personally can't wait for it though. As much as I love my LG C9, I despise burn in and I cannot wait for a panel that offers similar IQ without that crutch.

I take it you're assuming they're going to 100% solve the seam/gap issue of slotting the mLED panels together? Cause as it stands right now, the almost infinitesimal risk of burn in doesn't even amount to a fart in the wind against the comically terrible panel uniformity of existing mLED's.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd wait til Samsung releases their 75" 4K model to make any predictions.

I take it you're assuming they're going to 100% solve the seam/gap issue of slotting the mLED panels together? Cause as it stands right now, the almost infinitesimal risk of burn in doesn't even amount to a fart in the wind against the comically terrible panel uniformity of existing mLED's.
Infinitesimal? Ive already seen several OLED TVs with burn in. The one my parents had to get replaced due to the massive burnt in bar at the bottom of the screen, the other one they have with the channel logos burnt in on the bottom right, and my own tv, the one I've been babying since I got it which left the freaking YouTube app yellow and green buttons there to be seen for the rest of its lifetime.

Burn in is extremely real on OLEDs and it'll happen sooner or later in some way to every owner. Wether they notice, care or are bothered by it is another story and I'd still rather have this than an lcd with grey blacks and horrible uniformity

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
They'll have to think of a better name as you're already getting confusion compared to mini LED, which is a vastly inferior tech.

I yearn for a true black screen with great motion clarity.

I'm wondering what display technology will be able to give us the amazing motion clarity of CRT displays. I don't know if micro LED will be the one, but I'd like to think it'll get us closer.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think MicroLED is too far out, although it's one that I'm keeping an eye on for sure. Until then, I'll just keep going on my current TV until it dies, at which point I'll probably just get whatever's the best display tech at that time.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, It will be at least a little under a decade before it become widely available for consumers and even longer to become affordable.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering what display technology will be able to give us the amazing motion clarity of CRT displays. I don't know if micro LED will be the one, but I'd like to think it'll get us closer.

It's going to suffer the same issues as OLED (nearly instantaneous switching in a sample and hold world). I guess the wildcard would be just how bright these things could be. If they were insanely bright, you could do low persistence flashing that would still yield a bright picture.

This would bother people who were sensitive to flickering, but CRT were flicker monsters. That's why their motion resolution was so good.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I just want a monitor with an emissive display, I guess there's a good chance MicroLED tech will make that viable eventually.

Telecinision

Aug 22, 2018
Keep an eye on NAB in April, pretty unlikely we're seeing a consumer set until there's a professional reference model.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just imagine the manufacturing process for putting together millions of small LEDs to create 1 panel.

I think that is still the biggest challenge on whether this ever becomes mainstream tech.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Linus Tech Tips covered the problems with bringing microLED to market. essentially the manufacturing tech is still very new and very slow, in addition to the difficulty of getting black space between the pixels

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
OLED seems to be hitting the end point on how far you can push that display tech and MicroLed seems to be the next logical step but how long away is it from coming to the market at a reasonable price point? Will it be around before we hit peak next gen? I might just wait before buying any next gen console if that ends up being the case.

Probably not until 2025 at the earliest. It also depends on what a person's definition of "affordable" is. To me, $2,000 for a 65'' is still pricey, but that's what I would expect to pay 2-3 years after the first good consumer sets arrive, and the quality would be worth it to me as long as the yield rates aren't poor. If you're talking mid-range brands, then it will probably be closer to 2030.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Linus Tech Tips covered the problems with bringing microLED to market. essentially the manufacturing tech is still very new and very slow, in addition to the difficulty of getting black space between the pixels

I know the Crystal LED sets currently in production each of the RGB LED is only 0.003 square millimeters, making up 1% of each "cell" for each pixel. The remaining 99% is all black. Even if they were able to stuff pixels closer together the amount of black would still be extremely high so that's one plus for them I suppose. The only problems there of course are the manufacturing of denser number of LEDs on the wafer and heat generation.

As he mentions in the video I hope there are some breakthroughs in the tech in the very near future.

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
To the point where you can buy one for like ~$2k? Probably like 5+ years is my guess. I'm fairly uneducated on the topic though, just going by current understanding and guesstimates of trends.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
So far the micro led seem to only have commercial screen applications. Lets hope there's some breakthrough in manfufacturing of these things. It's strange, but OLED didn't have this trajectory. As far, as I know, it was never much used for commercial applications. Micro LED almost seems naturally better suited to that purpose than for a home TV

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
where are you getting this nonsense about oled panels?
and microled isn't coming any time soon. that shit is years away

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, is OLED even that common in the budget TV market? I don't see any that are under $1k.

When LED hit, at first they were super-expensive (same with LCD) and then they came down to sub-budget levels before the next big thing (OLED, and then MicroLED I guess), became budget itself.

Not sure if that makes sense, lol.
Honestly I think OLED will end up following more of a plasma-esque arc. If/when manufacturing microLED is figured out, OLED will likely die out pretty quickly (at least as far as TVs go, unfortunately I get the feeling we'll be stuck with burn-in prone phones a fair bit longer), since microLED is supposed to have all the same upsides with none of the downsides.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how OLED is hitting anything just yet and as for any LCD type display it will pretty much always have response speed issues, micro-LED or not.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Its not only several years away from being anything like consumer priced - its questionable if it'll ever be. It requires leaps in manufacturing efficiency which may simply never happen and/or be replaced by alternative options

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
MicroLED wont be affordable until about 2025 or so, well past mid-gen. And that's only if the manufacturing process is solved, otherwise it will stay super niche and $$$$$.

Stook

Oct 30, 2017
Micro led is a good 10+ years off. It has severe manufacturing problems. they can't pack the led diode (pitch size) close enough to make an 8k or 4k screen that you could fit in your living room, which why you only see 150in and up sizes.They are basically making these by hand right now. The yields are high which jacks up the price 100k-300k. Right now its only for show floors and football stadiums. In comparison Sony made the first 13 inch 0led tv in 2007, its just now getting to point where its affordable next 2 years it will hit mass market, it will replace LCD , less parts cheaper to make. Oled is going to be around for a while. Microled might come faster because theres a lot companies that want to take the crown lg. Basically companies are partnering up just like what they did when they were trying to figure out oled.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Was going to post the LTT video but yea microled is a good 5-7 years away from the consumer market and probably another 3-5 years on top of that before becoming affordable to a wider audience. Display tech takes quite a long time to mature and almost always takes years longer than predicted.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Probably not going to be here in time for when next gen hits its stride, not at this rate anyway. I'd love to invest in one but it'll probably cost an insane amount for years after it's even out.
I'm not overly confident that my OLED will last me until MicroLED becomes consumer-ready, and I've toyed with the idea of selling it in exchange for a halfway-decent QLED, or maybe even a short-throw projector. I'd be okay with the 'downgrade' for the time being, at least until an OLED alternative without the shortcomings becomes financially viable.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
Whatever ends up being the "ultimate" display tech, I hope it won't take that long but above all, that it'll make even Digital Foundry themselves confirm that CRTs have finally been surpassed in absolutely every aspect.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, I used to think OLED was the future. Now I believe it is microLED
OLED has peaked. Unfortunately, I don't want to deal with the prices they are still at and I want an upgrade for the new gen. I'm gonna have to get a stop-gap for in between now and MicroLED. Idk what that is yet, though. I know it needs VRR and HDMI 2.1 to satisfy me for future-proofing.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I work with big LED installations and over the last 10 years seeing outdoor mobile tech go from 20mm pitch (distance between the center point of two adjacent LEDs) to 6mm and indoor stuff go beyond 2mm has been great (it's also become a lot more reliable and the software has become leagues better)

I know there's a big leap from 2mm SMD to microLED but the 2mm wall stuff around now is mindblowing and the ultra low resolution (compared to what we''re used to with our tellies) is more than made up for by having a screen as big as you want it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Oled was created in the SDR era wich was around the 100 nits requirment. Now a days games or hollywood movies will aim for that 1500 nits plus up to 4k nits. HDR is the downfall of oled. Not to mention burn in

Nits aren't everything in HDR. There is a reason professional reviewers recommends 700 nits OLEDs over 1500 nits LEDs.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
I don't see how OLED is hitting anything just yet and as for any LCD type display it will pretty much always have response speed issues, micro-LED or not.

Micro-LEDs are closer to OLEDs in how they work but should avoid OLED's burn-in and brightness issues. You're thinking of Mini-LED which is just better FALD backlights. I think we will have a PS5 Pro before Micro-LED is available in anything but expensive top tier 55+ inch TVs especially with the way manufacturers are pushing for 8K now.

If you want a display with very little drawbacks for gaming, buy an OLED LG C9 now or the CX model later in the year. Sure, it doesn't get as bright as some LCD TVs and may have burn in years along the line but those seem to me like perfectly acceptable tradeoffs for having great contrast, black levels, HDR without halos, low input lag, sub-1ms pixel response time, 120 Hz input and VRR support. You aren't going to get all that in any LCD anytime soon.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
microLED isn't LCD though. The pixels are composed of sets of individual LEDs.

You're probably thinking of the confusingly similarly named mini LED, which is an LCD with a ton of dimming zones.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldnt even call OLED affordable for most people. I want one but I dont have 1.5-2K to drop on a tv.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no expert but it feels to me like it's 5-8yrs away to me. There are still a lot of hurdles to jump over.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Microled is probably better for replacing LCD panels on PC monitors due to less chance of burn in compared to OLED. At this point it feels like we'll be stuck with LCD forever. Have to love how they've changed the name of LCD TV's to "LED" to confuse people.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever ends up being the "ultimate" display tech, I hope it won't take that long but above all, that it'll make even Digital Foundry themselves confirm that CRTs have finally been surpassed in absolutely every aspect.

A large part of DF's love affair is that CRT doesn't have a fixed resolution.

Even when we're all having our displays projected into our retinas, I'm not sure anything will ever top CRT in that aspect.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Micro-LEDs are closer to OLEDs in how they work but should avoid OLED's burn-in and brightness issues. You're thinking of Mini-LED which is just better FALD backlights.
microLED isn't LCD though. The pixels are composed of sets of individual LEDs.
On one hand you are correct on what I'm thinking about.

On the other I'm thinking about it in the way which may actually have a cost suitable for mass market - meaning no colored LEDs, just the light, through your usual LCD matrix. Colored micro LED will probably always be too expensive for a 4K+ screens.

It's also worth noting that a micro-LED screen with >8M elements will probably consume A LOT of electricity.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
It's also worth noting that a micro-LED screen with >8M elements will probably consume A LOT of electricity.

It does seem weird. People are claiming they'll use much less than OLED, but the prototype at CES was using a ridiculous amount. One more huge problem that needs to be solved (among the many).

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Oled was created in the SDR era wich was around the 100 nits requirment. Now a days games or hollywood movies will aim for that 1500 nits plus up to 4k nits. HDR is the downfall of oled. Not to mention burn in

Yet HDR on Oleds tend to look much better than it does on most LCDs due to better contrast and better control over lighting.

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
A 800 bits OLED has a much higher dynamic range than a 2000 nits LCD. You lose 1 stop in the highlights but gain many stops in the shadows. Plus most movies peak at 1000 nits

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Hmm, fun video on the CLED display and how it can be used in making movies from CES:

As excited as I am for this tech to be in my home, I'm also excited to see if more movie theaters will adopt the tech to replace their screen and projectors. I'd love it if I could watch a movie on something like this:

sony-16k-678-678x452.png

The CLED thing from CES is more or less how they did The Mandalorian. I know the Corridor Crew talked about it a few times, but it's awesome to see this happen because it lets you have a set that is like the painted backdrops of old that is right there and kind of practical but still virtual in that it's not a physical set. It lets you get a CG set built and have it blend with your footage a lot better and easier than doing the whole thing green and adding it later. It also costs less to do in many cases.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The CLED thing from CES is more or less how they did The Mandalorian. I know the Corridor Crew talked about it a few times, but it's awesome to see this happen because it lets you have a set that is like the painted backdrops of old that is right there and kind of practical but still virtual in that it's not a physical set. It lets you get a CG set built and have it blend with your footage a lot better and easier than doing the whole thing green and adding it later. It also costs less to do in many cases.
the Mandalorian was made with projectors (from the back I think) rather than LED walls. makes for a cheaper solution, I guess

EDIT: nope, looks like I was mistaken, it was led walls

speaking of