• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. It needs a game director who lives, breathes and is passionate about what he or she wants to say through the medium. Not just treat it as a cash cow. There is nobody in the world who will be able to make something like Metal Gear with all it's zany-ness.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After 4 and 5, sure let someone else give it a shot.

Easy thing would be for them to remake MG1 and 2. Everything is basically there already plot wise etc

May 15, 2019
Rising is a better Metal Gear game than anything Kojima did after 3, so I'd say yes. You just have to be making a game with interesting ideas and its own unique spin, rather than a boring spin-off that's primarily concerned with recycling as many assets from the last game as possible.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
MGSV is the one with the best gameplay and it basically gave Konami a sandbox of which they could easily make a brilliant MGS game, but they made Survive...

Yes, it's wouldn't be hard build on existing concept and make a great MGS game, but it will always be something separate from Kojima's games.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I just don't like the nowadays Kojima. In my eyes he's become way too cocky and overconfident. Let's see if he really still got it with Death Stranding.
Then we might answer the question properly. But as of right now, I think Metal Gear would still be up there even without Kojima. I mean from the reviews, The last 2 metal gear games were not even close at the first 3 level so...

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I would say no. He writes a very specific style and tone and I think anyone trying to replicate it would probably come off as a bit of an accidental parody of it.

Jun 4, 2018
No. There's just a level of detail and an absurdity that can only come from Kojima. It wouldn't be comparable. Could be better, could be (let's be real here, I mean, who are we really fooling: it almost certainly would be) worse, but no matter the case - it damn sure wouldn't be the same.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
People here that know me know how much of a Metal Gear fanboy I am.

But without Kojima to direct, or supervise, or to approve the canon, my interest in the series is dead and buried. Any following game will hold the value of fan fiction to me, so I have zero interest.

I'd argue that some fanfiction are up to par or even better than the canon material they're based on

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. It's dead, and thats ok. The story has already been told, and the gameplay was fully realized with MGSV.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
well the best metal gear was one the one he had least control over. MGS1

I think he's overrated and it's cringe he's obsessed with stamping his name on everything. Those fucking start and end credits in MGS 5 were a joke.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
It's not and I have zero interest in buying anything Metal Gear without KojiPro being involved.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. An MGS6 might be a little less meandering as well, provided they find someone who understands the DNA of the series. What was good about it and what had gone astray with 4, 5 and Peacewalker.

It's like saying Zelda needs Miyamoto in charge. It didn't.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Any new Metal Gear games will either be a pastiche of the original or so different that it's a new entity. I don't trust Konami to do either well.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Kojima was not involved, to my knowledge, in the absolutely fantastic Metal Gear Ghost Babel.

So yeah, it can be. It just isn't at the moment but Kojima isn't the only one who can direct a proper Metal Gear.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. I look forward to a new metal gear that clearly isnt a cheap asset reuse game. (I still enjoyed it and the ending twist was pretty good)

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
The real question is why should Metal Gear continue? I feel like we need to accept that nothing lasts forever. Sometimes an IP should just end and we move on. Create new works inspired by the old but not held back by previous canon and expectations.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
What does this question even mean?

I'd love a reboot with a new team. Then I could probably answer.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Depends, I don't trust Konami with it but Metal Gear Rising only had him on as an advisory or something and that turned out to be fantastic.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
People are actually holding up Survive as 'proof' that Konami can't make another MGS game? Seriously?

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all, that's like Twin Peaks without David Lynch and we all know how that turned out.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
I feel like Metal Gear hasn't been Metal Gear since Tomokazu Fukushima stopped writing for the series after MGS3. It's where the series fell off for me (still love MGS4 and to a tiny extent MGS5 though)
This 100%

People tend to not realize this fun fact.
It's not fact, it's bullshit. I wonder when people stop posting this dumb theory.

He wasn't even lead writer for MGS2/3 (in MGS3, for example, Murata was, but nobody mention him for some reason).
So please explain MG1/2, Snatcher, Policenauts and MGS1. And please explain why writing in Babel was so bad (basically the only Fukushima's work and he botched it).

Red Ogre

Jul 19, 2019
Under the box, Madrid
So with that said, what do you do with such a license? You're not going to sell it. I'm sure that ill be suggested, and it doesn't mean they shouldn't, but I just don't see it. You can shit out games like Metal Gear Survive using the existing blueprint, and that may be the way to go.
You know what's sad? They could use the blueprint of MGSV in much more interesting ways. Picture this: you play as Liquid in the early 2000s. At the end of each level, you fight against a future member of FOX-HOUND, and they join your team when defeated. Then the game can use the buddy system from TPP, but instaid of Quiet, DD, or D-Horse you have Sniper Wolf, Vulcan Raven or Psycho Mantis. That already sounds like fun.

hLs80Cx.png

Danny

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Metal Gear hasn't been Metal Gear since Tomokazu Fukushima stopped writing for the series after MGS3. It's where the series fell off for me (still love MGS4 and to a tiny extent MGS5 though)
If they could somehow bring Fukushima back, we could have a great story for a new entry.

Modi

Oct 29, 2017
Play it save and ramake one of the games first. If it's good .. go with MGSVI.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I'm not a Konami genius or anything, but I thought the more control Kojima got the worse the games got.

MGS1 and 2 godlike. 3 the last great game. Twin Snakes servicable but kinda sour when compared to original. I read Kojima oversaw the changes did he do it by himself with Silicon Knights or was the original team involved? 4 what was small cracks in previous games, nonsense dialogue, wacky characters, long monologues, crazy action, out there plot, struggled to be charming anymore, Kojima has a lot more control here right? Peace Walker is dreadful. I assume Kojima at this point is synonymous with Metal Gear Solid and gets everything he wants and it's pants. MGSV he even gets to decide on pointless Hollywood actors and writes pure drivel and tells 85% of the story through tapes, retcons tons of shit and in general is not very interesting.

If that's wrong please forgive me but I assumed he had competent writers and designers working alongside him them gradually started trying to take all those duties on himself and push his 'vision' more with no one willing to push back. Kinda like Lucas and the prequels trilogy. The best Star Wars movies his involvement isn't as strong.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I was never impressed with Hideo's work to a great degree, and the worship he gets seems odd to me as a result. I mean he's directed some good games, couple bad ones, his writing is God awful, and he tends to be a budgeter's worst nightmare, and he's a massive pervert, so I fail to see why his presence is required for MGS 6. Hell, if anything, his lack of involvement with the project might see it release in a timely manner, and maybe the story will be less convoluted as well.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What disrespectful bullshit. Fukushima isn't 1/10th important to Metal Gear as Hideo is.