• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, enjoy the gameplay but if you are are playing for the story, you WILL feel like you've wasted your time. To get to anything worthwhile, you really have to put up with a lot of filler side missions.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Don't play it for the story. Even as somebody who was in deep with the Metal Gear lore, it was a waste of time.

Play it because it's the best stealth game ever made.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Like is this a design choice or something Kojima unnecessarily agreed to because they signed up Keifer for voice acting? If they had went with Hayter maybe we would have had a complete game?
i may be mistaken, but kojima wanted Sutherland, and kojima insisted that mocap be done by the respective actors, ala Naughty Dog, acting in real time

they would capture body, faces, vocals, etc

dunno if that stuck tho, i wouldn't be surprised if some of the mocap for Venom was done by someone other than Sutherland, but silent

but some of the tapes, like ones with Skull Face and no Snake, sound like they were acted out but were relegated to tapes

might've been intentional all around

hard to say for sure, but the tapes have a shitton of stuff in them for nearly every character

including like 1 mention of Chico outside of Ground Zeroes

lots of Peace Walker characters get snubbed

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
The gameplay is great and honestly one of the greatest action games I've ever played. While the actual missions are often undercooked, the controls are so smooth and the emergent gameplay so fun that it's awesome to just mess around.
The story is so bad and edgy that you can only go through it if you morbidly enjoy trainwrecks. It's Kojima at his worst, trying to be "serious" while having the depth of a 13-year-old who just discovered that war crimes exist.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
people go on about the gameplay but its hilariously unbalanced. And it goes on for like 50+ damn hours.

And any claims about Kojima being a visionary and amazing storyteller got absolute jettisons right the fuck out of there with this game, IDC about the unfinished excuses. It is BAD.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you don't care for MGS i wouldn't even bother tbh.

Played it once and never went back. The mechanics are ace but missions are repetitive. The story to me is the worst in the series. The cutscene work is amazing looking but all of the MGS charm is gone. Unfinished, lackluster ending, etc.

But hey maybe it will click on you. Sucks you missed out when it was on PS+ but i would say it's worth it if dirt cheap.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
As a fan, i was disappointed. I expected the game to be Ground Zeroes but at a larger scale. Pretty much the opening mission in terms of story but throughout the whole game but it wasn't so.

Gameplay is fun but it starts to drag ass once they repeat missions.

Overall I'd give it a shot, there's just enough to keep you interested until the story just stops being a thing.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty fun game with flaws a million miles wide, but that's Kojima for you.

Probably don't try to 100% it if you value your sanity. Play your fill, then beat the game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Play until you've had your fill, it's fantastic in many ways, especially if you like stealth or action games, but the story is not finished and not particularly good, has it's moments though.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
100% Its one of the best open world games of last generation full stop.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Never before have I played a game with such solid core gameplay mechanics that was, on the whole, SOOOOOO TERRIBLE.

Like, gameplay is king and all, but when EVERYTHING from the structure to the story, level design, pacing, microtransactions, and filler bullshit is godawful then the sum of the game's parts amounts to a steaming pile of shit.

I've played through MGS1-4 dozens of times each. I know damn near everything about those games. I couldn't even finish MGSV. It is without a doubt the worst ending to an established franchise I've ever seen.

Just thinking about it as I type this on my phone has my blood boiling. MGS deserved a better send-off!

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had 50 or 60 hours in it back around when it came out. The missions and gameplay were very fun. Story was nonsense that I didn't engage with. At some point I just got bored and stopped playing, never finished.

So... maybe? There's no story that's worth experiencing but the gameplay is definitely fun.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
yeah it's one of the very best. even if the story is unfinished, the gameplay alone was worth it for me.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
If you are in it for the gameplay get MGSV.

If you are playing for story, get the Bioshock Collection.

Jul 4, 2018
It's fun, and starts off great, continues to be great, and then later on just begins to wither away more and more

Hugely fulfilling yet leaves you empty, like a Big Mac

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Literally one of the best action games ever made. Do not hesitate.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unless there is an avatar in today's open-worlds that plays better than Venom Snake, sure.

It's ok to select "skip" on everything though.

And play non-story tapes.

Listen to the hamburger tapes though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Listen to the hamburger tapes though.
tumblr_nul0he3IiR1qksyrko2_500.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is amazing minutes to minute, but the repetitive open world and mission design brings it down.

It has a very cool atmosphere, and some really great moments, but overall the story is very poorly told, disjointed, and kind of just fizzles out toward the end.

It's worth playing as many people love it and you never know if you might too, opinions are divided amongst fans so you'll never be able to tell until you try.

For me, though, it was a disappointment.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Its only really bad if you care about Metal Gear Solid

It has a great cinematic story mission at the beginning but it is just completely missing the one at the end to close out the game
(It is literally missing the final mission/ story segment, there is concept footage of it that was included in the collectors edition at launch)

Also though, the gameplay was impressive at the time but doesn't really even hold up that well

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand why people look at a game that is widely regarded as being great, and make threads going "is it worth playing???" I mean, if the game is loved by as many people as it is, obviously it's "worth playing".

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
No. There are much better games out there, and the story was garbage. If you want to play a real MGS game, go play MGS1-4.

Oct 27, 2017
The game is great, the story is just unfinished. The story is mostly good for what it does do, aside from the stupid Stuff they do to rationalize Quiet's design (tho some other Quiet stuff is good)

gameplay is superb, if only a step below some open world games that came after it imo like Tsushima, Zelda, etc

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
If you want to mess around in the map with some MGS stealth action for a little bit, sure. Just ignore the plot and pretend like it isn't the last MGS game to save yourself the disappointment.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay loop is so damn good, the story was just a little bonus tacked on.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best gameplay this gen with a story about on par with the nonsensical MGS4 just less in your face about it

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Story is pretty nonexistent, but the gameplay is top notch. I finished the game and had a blast doing it because it was just so much fun to play

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
the gameplay is really good. if you are interested in that and want to do sandbox-y stealth action

but you really need to be going in for that

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its has the best and most fun stealth mechanics in the industry. The story is an incomplete trashfire. Play Ground Zeroes if you can get it free or at like 90% of the price that MGSV goes today.

Its very fun but the repetition weights heavy 10 hours in. I did not mind it.

tonetizzley

Nov 1, 2017
The gameplay is awesome but not that fulfilling if you're trying to scratch the MGS itch. The open world nature of it doesn't really work well and the game's approach to storytelling is horrendous.

If you just want to have fun and stealth around a bit, I'd pick it up but don't expect a gratifying narrative. It's a shame.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
At worst, MGS5 is a top 3 stealth game of all time. The gameplay and systems are absurdly good, flexible, and creative. Don't buy it if you just want another episode of Tom Clancy's Kingdom Hearts.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I revisited The Phantom Pain earlier this year, and while I generally like the game play, and I have to say that anything even remotely resembling a boss fight in the game is a complete chore. The breaking point for me was the White Mamba mission. I don't care if there's some hacky alternative to finishing the mission without much difficulty. The setup and parameters for that mission (especially its placement relative to the mission zone border) are straight-up bullshit.