• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And do you genuinely believe the number of people who have heard Megalovania, know the source, and know/love/whatever it better than any other game songs from the decade is competitive with the hugely popular orchestra darling that is Skyrim? I respect your opinion if you do, but I guess it just seems very unlikely to me.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Why in the world would you think pasting random links to Undertale performances is a substitute for actually replying?

I mean, even if any one of us couldn't do the same search and return far more Skyrim concert results, it was distracting and lazy.

But seriously, the difference in results does not help you here.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The Skyrim theme is more iconic. Please just ignore how it loses in every popularity metric outside of Skyrim sold more copies and how it sounds like a generic fantasy theme whilst a huge aspect of Megolovania's popularity is that it slaps.

Why in the world would you think pasting random links to Undertale performances is a substitute for actually replying?

I mean, even if any one of us couldn't do the same search and return far more Skyrim concert results, it was distracting and lazy.

But seriously, the comparison does not help you here.

How day they post performances they enjoy of the track most referenced in this thread. This topic is clearly nothing but serious business where everybody's just accepting Megalovania's got more hits and has been searched for more.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

But seriously, the comparison does not help you here.
Your post isn't bringing up any evidence of import though. You're just speculating it's less popular because Skyrim is a "hugely popular orchestral darling". What's someone supposed to reply to that? Like, what are you even implying?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
The Skyrim theme is more iconic. Please just ignore how it loses in every popularity metric outside of Skyrim sold more copies and how it sounds like a generic fantasy theme whilst a huge aspect of Megolovania's popularity is that it slaps.

Kind of agree. I have played a few hours of Skyrim, and I am 100% unable to remember the soundtrack. As someone stated earlier in this thread, the first four notes of Megalovania is enough for me not to just recognise the theme, but get it stuck in my head for a considerable time.

And I didn't even hear the theme in the game itself, as I'm not a psychopath.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Your post isn't bringing up any evidence of import though. You're just speculating it's less popular because Skyrim is a "hugely popular orchestral darling". What's someone supposed to reply to that?

Posting random links would only have been evidence if my point had been that Undertale has never been performed. I didn't say or imply that.

And I said more than the orchestra bit, some of it in previous replies, but I don't think I said anything controversial. I've offered as much as most going either direction in this thread.

Was posting those links meant to suggest that Undertale has been performed as many or more times than the Skyrim theme? If that was the point, then my response would be to suggest you do the same search on YouTube for the Skyrim theme. If that wasn't the point, then I might have to ask you to clarify. It's just one point though.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The theme is pretty cool, but the first and last time I heard it was in that Smash direct, so I'm not fit to judge. Anyway, I guess I should really play Undertale soon (will probably never play it in the end lol, life's hard).

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If meme magic had actually made Sans a real character in Smash I would say yes, but he was only a mere costume, so I must say no. So close.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
In the early part of the decade it was the Dragonborn theme, the latter it's Megalovania. Overall I think Dragonborn is more popular amongst your typical 25+ with no children, whereas Megalovania has become a meme and Undertale's current popularity shouldn't be underesrimated.

I think I give a slight edge to Megalovania.

djamb3

Oct 27, 2017
Well I really never heard the undertale music before this thread and the first I heard of the game was in a Nintendo Direct, but it didn't made any impact to make me want to try it.

However by the number of replies it seems is something really big, not sure bigger than Skyrim but still

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never heard of it until Smash, and I even finsihed the game. When I listened to it on YouTube recently, I loved it, and it's probably one of my favourites of the decade.

However, surely it can't be iconic if people like me, who had finished the game, never even heard it.

Awesome track. Maybe one of the best. But I doubt it's iconic.

Lol, the way I read this post (and sorry if I cause any offense) is that whether a piece of music can be considered iconic is whether trugs26 has heard of it or not.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of folks saying Skyrim, but that's only popular inside the ES community. Megalovania is such a hit song that its first 3 seconds became a meme. There's no competition on which has more cultural impact

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Dragonborn was the most iconic before Megalovania, so it's still in 2nd place. But Megalovania went past the gaming world.

nah song of the ancients is. or emil's theme.
This isnt post your favourite soundtrack from this gen thread though. When I think iconic and cultural impact...I don't think Nier Automata.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Elder Scrolls is my favorite series. Morrowind's my favorite game. I absolutely adore Skyrim and sunk around 500 hours into it across multiple saves/versions of the game. Dovakhiin is fucking FLAMES. But there's no way you can tell me it's more *iconic* or whatever than Megalovania. Come on bruh. There's just no way.

speedwagen

Oct 27, 2017
UK, London

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Not the most iconic, but maybe one of the most. Probably Fornite's default dance song is more popular.

Neither of them are the best songs this decade brought to us.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Very willing to bet that the old folks here like "What's an Undertale? Nobody cares" largely haven't even heard of FNaF, which is a phenomenon among kids. Truth is, you're just not the demographic for the memes, tiktoks, youtube stars, and internet sensations that catapult things like Megalovania into continued popularity

I feel like this post should just be quoted again and again. Megalovania is everywhere

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Btw Skyrim made it to meme territory too if you guys don't remember, from its chants, to dialogues, to stay screens and even the main theme.

Megalovania may have made it bigger and may be more iconic, but it's not exactly out of touch for someone to think Skyrim theme may be more iconic as it's pretty up there too and for the exact same reasons...i.e. memes.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Very willing to bet that the old folks here like "What's an Undertale? Nobody cares" largely haven't even heard of FNaF, which is a phenomenon among kids. Truth is, you're just not the demographic for the memes, tiktoks, youtube stars, and internet sensations that catapult things like Megalovania into continued popularity

I feel like this post should just be quoted again and again. Megalovania is everywhere
I am official an old folks at 39. I was aware of Undertale and FNAF thanks to the internet at large, but had no inkling about what they are or why I should care about them. All I ever hear is "they're awesome" with nothing else told to me. I know kids were obsessed with FNAF for some reason but I guess Undertale is going that way (or is and I'm not seeing it).

But I also don't dive into internet fandom as much as a lot of people do because most YouTube stars grate on me.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not even casual gamer. I hadn't heard it until this thread. It's neat I guess but... is it iconic or just very familiar to anyone who played Undertale?

You have to play the Genocide route to hear this song. You'd have to be a complete psychopath to hear this song in the game.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Btw Skyrim made it to meme territory too if you guys don't remember, from its chants, to dialogues, to stay screens and even the main theme.

Megalovania may have made it bigger and may be more iconic, but it's not exactly out of touch for someone to think Skyrim theme may be more iconic as it's pretty up there too and for the exact same reasons...i.e. memes.

There are still Skyrim memes that are relevant today, but it stopped being about the music a long time ago.

The biggest Undertale meme on the other hand is about a music track. The same music track that was partly used in another meme a few years ago ("You're gonna have a bad time"). And that was after the song made the rounds with the rest of the soundtrack because people liked it so much.

I don't think anyone in here is gonna deny that Skyrim or this case, it's main theme, made it big, its just that Megalovania reached all those places as well and went even further.
It certainly helped that videogames nowadays have a much wider reach than back when Skyrim occupied everyone's head space in the gaming world

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
I think an argument could be made against Megalovania as "iconic" due to where and why it's popular. I thought this was interesting so last night I put it to my daughter and her friends. 14 to 15 year olds and as soon as I started the song they all knew it but out of 4 of them only one knew it from the game, two of them knew it as the "song from TikTok" and one that knew it as the meme song.

You could easily say it's one of the most instantly and widespread known songs but I think it might not be "iconic" due to a whole lot of those people not knowing it's origin. I think the short diddy for the Fortnite default dance is probably more "Iconic" because when heard and recognized I'd bet its only for the game.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's an Era Bubble thing. I love Megalovania and listen to it a lot, but I have literally not once heard it played anywhere outside of YouTube or Spotify when I'm the one playing it.

Im genuinely surprised by everyone here claiming it's as big as it is because I just genuinely haven't heard it played, or even heard anyone talking about it, in the real world.
You're in the bubble, friend. Megalovania is massive and has reach way beyond the game that finally made it mainstream. As I said, I don't know for a fact that it's bigger than Skyrim's theme (which is likewise huge, obviously) but there's no way it isn't a contender.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite generic song from x AAA game is way more iconic than a tune instantly recognizable from four doots
Hah

When the fnaf tripple A and movie come out people will continue to be confused about the idea that younger folks have entirely different tastes

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're in the bubble, friend. Megalovania is massive and has reach way beyond the game that finally made it mainstream. As I said, I don't know for a fact that it's bigger than Skyrim's theme (which is likewise huge, obviously) but there's no way it isn't a contender.

What bubble? That doesn't make sense in this context when I'm talking about my experiences in the real world.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The bubble where a bunch of enthusiasts think that because they have anecdotally not experienced Megalovania in their day-to-day lives it must not be huge.

It's huge.

that's not what "bubble" means. And I never said it wasn't huge, just that I was surprised to hear others say it was.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Lol, the way I read this post (and sorry if I cause any offense) is that whether a piece of music can be considered iconic is whether trugs26 has heard of it or not.
Re-reading it, it does come off like that doesn't it haha. So yeah, it should be whether or not I heard it okay??

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Megalovania was nice, heck they picked it up with 2 friends to be guests in Taiko No Tatsujin (taiko drum master) Switch Ver.

But nhaaa we all know it's the ring dang doo

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is honestly hilarious with the "Gamer bubble" and "zoomer boomer" posts. I don't think any gaming track in history is well known outside gamer circles outside of maybe Mario 1-1 and Sonic or something.... oh also the MK Movie track , but again because its a movie.

Most of these tracks are going to be known by the gaming/internet community and that is still a pretty big portion of the world. Gaming itself is quite big.

Also "Iconic" is definitely region based , certain themes will be more iconic in certain places. More people in US will know Halo theme , FF in Japan or KOF in Mexico lol. Another thing that may or may not work in megalovanias favor.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
It's Megalovania.

Any one disagrees is gonna have a bad time.

Or a boomer.

Well, this forum is full of 30 year old boomers. I think the posts in this topic has made it clear that with the young crowd (probably 23 years old and younger) Megalovania is the more popular. From personal experience, more people in their 30s are familiar with Skyrim and all the silly memes it sprouted.