• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, something doesn't "not count" as popular solely because it has moral issues. Persona 5 was written by a serial sexist and homophobe but if I said that should disqualify it from any high regard ResetEta would riot.

It's not just that it was composed by a serial abuser, it's that the songs themselves are inspired by the women he abused.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I can literally tell when this song is playing three notes in. I haven't even played the game and I know how iconic it is

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Never played either Skyrim or Undertale. Skyrim is cool and sounds like a lot of songs. But Megalovania is a damn banger and will never forget that song again. I can't even hum the tune to Skyrim and I listened to it a minute ago.

My personal opinion is all the evidence we need here, case closed.

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Hard no from me, but then again I haven't gotten around to playing Undertale yet thanks to the shitty fandom kinda turning me off.

Could be one of those situations where context is everything or at least a large part of it, I guess.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Never played either Skyrim or Undertale. Skyrim is cool and sounds like a lot of songs. But Megalovania is a damn banger and will never forget that song again. I can't even hum the tune to Skyrim and I listened to it a minute ago.

My personal opinion is all the evidence we need here, case closed.
Congrats on having good taste in music. Your certificate will be in the mail.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
tbf if we're trying to judge "the iconic video game track of the decade" by "is it in memes" there's only one true answer

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I thought it was Gwyn's theme. Or the Breath of the Wild trailer music.
I think that the Gwyn Theme is one of the most amazing works of music applied in games given the moment that it's played. But it's not the Iconic Music of the Decade for the whole medium. I think that it's better than Skyrim theme and Megalovania, but very few people would recognize I wish thou

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How on earth did Megalovania get so popular?
Modern word of mouth at play. Sans was the "hidden super hard fight" of the current decade that no one could fully commit to or defeat without lots of perserverence. People experience it voyeuristically, and word gets out. People watch their favorite streamers and personalities try to beat this coveted difficult boss. Helps that Sans was a great character with iconic dialogue, there is a strong association with the track not just to the game but to him and the boss itself. It's also just a really good song.

That it wasn't even a part of the game that Toby wanted people to experience is crazy, a testament to how strong of an effect word-of-mouth can have on our medium these days.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In a just world it'd be something from Splatoon.

But yeah Megalovania is a hell of a track. Best fight from that game too, even though I'm pretty sure a lot of folks haven't even played that route.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't count considering it came out last decade and for a webcomic not a videogame. Sure he tweaked it over the years but still. Its not the best track in Undertale anyways.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
I can't believe anyone can take a look at Megalovania, see how its youtube video count has surpassed any of the aforementioned IPs/successfully penetrated common media in so many ways and come to the conclusion of "yes this track is definitely not the most iconic gaming song from this decade".

Probably should re-evaluate how you define iconic huh

Village

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
And Undertale's cultural impact is... ?

Really. Stoking a rabid Tumblr fan base is not "cultural impact."

If you mean in the culture of video games or in general

Because you know, changing how an swath of people view the actual battling of monsters in a games by creating a game that incentivizes you to not actually fight anything. And resonating on some people on that level along with deconstructing a lot of RPG tropes we take for granted and taking somewhat of an analytical look at them. And is now inspiring other young and aspiring devepers to develop fan games and thier own projects in future based around that premise seems like... a cultural impact.

This isn't even talking about the merch, memes, people literally using the theme in real life

And the inclusion of that theme and the character's visage in smash. A game hat has a lot of the most iconic video game things in existence in it.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I like Smash a lot but I also don't think that game is a cultural phenomenon or anything either.

I'm not sure how to convince you that far the cultural penetration of Undertale is but like it's only competition from the indie space in the last like 5 years is Five Nights at Freddy's.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
If you mean in the culture of video games or in general

Because you know, changing how an swath of people view the actual battling of monsters in a games by creating a game that incentivizes you to not actually fight anything. And resonating on some people on that level along with deconstructing a lot of RPG tropes we take for granted and taking somewhat of an analytical look at them. And is now inspiring other young and aspiring devepers to develop fan games and thier own projects in future based around that premise seems like... a cultural impact.

This isn't even talking about the merch, memes, people literally using the theme in real life

And the inclusion of that theme and the character's visage in smash. A game hat has a lot of the most iconic video game things in existence in it.

Yeah, interesting. I'm more focusing on cultural impact in general rather than just games, I suppose. But I can see you point for impact on games. It missed me completely, but of course I won't deny it's a big deal for many.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's probably either that or Minecraft by C418. Both of them have that "make a dank meme with the first 4 notes of the song" quality.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
As others have pointed out, people severely underestimate what exactly the age 8-15 crowd is exposed to on a regular basis. I don't know what every kid is like but if my nephew is an average child then I know that he's much more likely to recognize anything from Undertale before he recognizes anything from Skyrim simply because as popular as Skyrim is, it doesn't have much exposure these days.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Really. Stoking a rabid Tumblr fan base is not "cultural impact."

Undertale isn't only popular with the Tumblr crowd

Like these folks have said:

ITT: Old people who don't realize how much of a meme Megalovania has become. Saying it can't be that well known because most people haven't heard it in-game makes no sense, most people who know megalovania probably haven't even played Undertale (see: lots of kids watching LPs/streamers or finding Undertale memes).

People suggesting Megalovania is only know by the gaming community, ya really don't know how Youtube culture has taken over the younger generations minds. Probably millions of kids that know Freddy Fozzbear more than half the gaming characters you'd suggest as iconic.

Undertale is in that subsect of games that's really popular with the YT/kids crowd (along with something like Five Nights At Freddy's). And I know because I have younger siblings in that exact demographic and I have to do shit like play Undertale for them (because they suck at shmups), or have to listen to their friends try and fail to play Megalovania on piano, or have to listen to my baby brother do nothing but listen to a YouTube video of the ENTIRE SOUNDTRACK OF UNDERTALE on his iPad on endless loop

This isn't their first time discovering the game either, they've been on and off like this for the last couple of years (and if they're not into Undertale, it's usually some other annoying, FoTM game on YouTube like Bendy and the Ink Machine or Hello Neighbour or Showdown Bandit)

Kids are eating this all up, and I am honestly just *dreading* the day when Undertale nostalgia becomes a thing when they're older

Apr 19, 2018
I swear I keep mixing up Megalovania with Live A Live's "Megalomania":

They even sound alike in some respects. Megalomania is the better track, though.

Last edited:

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017
It's ridiculous to think it's not Megolovania. The fact that people didn't even have to hear it in game to recongize it and that it hasn't dropped in popularity since 2015 really should say everything. Like yes it's possible more people have heard the Skyrim theme overall but it has done nothing to linger with the public as the search data has shown.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
I swear I keep mixing up Megalovania with Live A Live's "Megalomania":

They even sound alike in some respects. Megalomania is the better track, though.

Considering the videogame music references he has in his music I wouldn't be surprised if they were connected. Like the Earthbound hack it originated in stars the main character of Brandish of all things.