• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
the transformation of Megalovania from "Reoccuring Toby Fox Music" to "The Video Game Music Equivalent of Loss.jpg" is genuinely one of the funniest things to me

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
It's not my favorite track from Undertale, but I don't see how anyone can argue against it as one of the top tracks of the decade.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Still within the decade (and a better song than Megalovania imo)!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't even like it that much, but tbh this generation has so little good music it might as well take it.

Nowadays music isn't melody or motifs. It's just texture and ambiance. I'm sick of it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have heard Megalovania way more than the Skyrim theme

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Optional DLC* in several japanese rhythm games and smash bros
They're in arcade versions of rhythm games. I didn't mean home versions, but that means even more of an audience. Even with the caveat for Smash, it really seems like Megalovania is more iconic at this point. A quick browse for the song and skyrim's theme on youtube looks like higher total play counts.

I can see an argument for either one, I suppose. I don't think there is an extremely clear winner in either case.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes definitely.

I mean, the game has quite a few tracks that are much better but I can't deny the popularity of it.

I don't think I've ever seen a song become a meme three times.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Megalovania was also used in an actual scientific study which I found hilarious when I learned about it.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Emotional ratings and skin conductance response to visual, auditory and haptic stimuli

The human emotional reactions to stimuli delivered by different sensory modalities is a topic of interest for many disciplines, from Human-Computer-Interaction to cognitive sciences. Different databases of stimuli eliciting emotional reaction are available, ...

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
most likely yeah
the Skyrim theme is some generic ass fantasy
imagine people spending $1 just to hear your song in smazh

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Judging which song is more iconic based of youtube views seems dumb. I dont wanna listen to the elder scrolls theme for fun but it is 100% without a doubt the most iconic game song of the decade.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
I knew megalovania before I even played the game it came from, which the name isn't coming to mind. But the song does. Don't even have to hear more than the first couple of chords.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
The phrase 'Fus Roh Dah' is more iconic/memey than the song. Gonna give it to Megalo-"you feel like you're going to have a bad time" -vania.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Battle Against a True Hero is my favorite song from the game, but I'm pretty sure it's Megalovania. Even though individual games have had far larger cultural impact, Megalovania is insanely popular...and what's weird about it is that probably fewer than 10% of people who played the game even went through a full genocide run to hear it.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Megalovania is a top 10 track, Dragonborn is top 3 if we use "iconic" in the sense of being recognizable.

Another thing I learned from this thread: apparently there is somehow a way to finish Skyrim without hearing its theme once

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Megalovania is a top 10 track, Dragonborn is top 3 if we use "iconic" in the sense of being recognizable.

Another thing I learned from this thread: apparently there is somehow a way to finish Skyrim without hearing its theme once

curious what you consider more iconic than those two

Giard

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to suggest Baba Yetu from Civ 4, but that game was released in 2005... time flies by.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
curious what you consider more iconic than those two
Good question. I guess it depends on the audience you're asking. For example if we ask PS3/PS4 owners only then I'd imagine that The Last of Us Theme is up there. The Battlefield theme might also be up there if it counts. If you ask me then I would nominate any Katamari song.

But if we ask the general mainstream audience then I think Minecraft, GTA5 and Skyrim are probably the top 3 recognizable main themes by raw numbers.
Maybe GTA could be replaced with something else cause it sounds somewhat like fancy elevator music.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
I have Undertale but didn't play more than 20 min of it. Was this the main theme? I don't think I've heard of it before.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It probably is, but I also wonder how many players have actually heard it in-game, considering what you have to do to even get to it. It's kind of impressive it took off so much, when most people don't associate it with their experience playing the game itself.

Personally prefer many other songs from Undertale.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't see why we pretend we can cleanly pick a single track for a whole decade when we couldn't for previous ones if we tried. What's The Iconic Track of the 1990s? You are going to have Playstation, Sega, and Nintendo fans fighting over the right choice. Year? Sure. Decade? tough choice.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Good question. I guess it depends on the audience you're asking. For example if we ask PS3/PS4 owners only then I'd imagine that The Last of Us Theme is up there. The Battlefield theme might also be up there if it counts. If you ask me then I would nominate any Katamari song.

But if we ask the general mainstream audience then I think Minecraft, GTA5 and Skyrim are probably the top 3 recognizable main themes by raw numbers.
Maybe GTA could be replaced with something else cause it sounds somewhat like fancy elevator music.

i have bought and played GTAV twice. I have zero clue what the "main theme" of GTAV is. I don't think it's just a matter of the amount of people who played the game.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

The game being popular isn't directly related to how popular the music is though. Most AAA games run into the same issue that many movies do just like in this vid.

Doesn't apply to all of them though. But stuff like TLOU which sold over 20m units yet the OST has lesser views than so many niche games.

PUBG has sold over 50m , how many people do you think even care about the main theme ?

i have bought and played GTAV twice. I have zero clue what the "main theme" of GTAV is. I don't think it's just a matter of the amount of people who played the game.

THIS!

I heard Megalovania before I even played Undertale. Meme status matters far more than game sales.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Decade i'm not so sure, but for the year undertale was released and since then? Sure, without a doubt.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why we pretend we can cleanly pick a single track for a whole decade when we couldn't for previous ones if we tried. What's The Iconic Track of the 1990s? You are going to have Playstation, Sega, and Nintendo fans fighting over the right choice. Year? Sure. Decade? tough choice.

Another factor is old themes sometimes become relevant now because of memes.

Like Guile's theme is probably more iconic now than it was in the 1990s , purely because of the "Guiles theme goes with everything" meme. Stuff like that would skew the perception of what the most iconic theme of the 90s would even be.

As for the 90s. It would be between Sonic,SF2 ,Doom and FF7. I kinda feel like Sonic would win , mainly due to how prevalent he was outside of gaming as well.

Last edited:

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If Mega64 taught me anything its that its Despacito, specially their version.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes I would say so.

I preferred the Asgore them to it personally though. And maybe one or two others as well.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure you can recognize this theme if you played it twice. It has lots of similarities with the San Andreas theme: