• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Mass Effect Andromeda worth playing now in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 296 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 317 51.7%

• Total voters

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most mind-numbing gaming experiences I've had. Forgettable cast with a forgetabble plot: the two cardinal sins of any rpg.

NicoNicoRose

Dec 9, 2020
Portland, OR
I honestly think it is totally worth it - it's not a bad game at all, and I've never understood the hatred. It feels great, it has some nice squad mates, and the story has potential (that unfortunately never got followed up on).

It has flaws but it's solid and I've always had a fun time with it. Absolutely don't think it's nearly as bad as the Gamer discourse has it.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Andromeda's problems were never just technical. It'll never be worth playing unless you're hellbent on experiencing every Mass Effect game.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I put 60 hours into it and regret every minute.

You could literally do anything else with your time and have a much better experience.

It's a shit game.

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
I loved it. Not as much as the original trilogy, but I'd still recommend giving it a try!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
It's fine. Easily the "worst" Mass Effect game, but not nearly the meme ridden dumpster fire it was made out to be after about the second patch that mostly fixed the glassy-eyed stares and buggy crab-walking inverse kinematics.

Main story thread/antagonist is forgettable junk, and Ryder is... not Shepard. I actually enjoyed the frontier stories around the various planets being settled, and the fates of the various arks though.

I finished it. I didn't really regret my time with it, though I'd probably never play it again. I do remember thinking I would've liked to have seen a game that picked up decades later, to see how the various settlements had grown.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I hated the main character and didn't care for the story, but it was still okay. Good gunplay and some good supporting cast members. I recommend it, just adjust your expectations.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it more as a joke to give my impressions to friends so I'm going in with rock bottom expectations but who knows, maybe I'll enjoy some of it lol

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
I would say so.I enjoyed it. I played around a year after launch and most of the bugs are ironed out. The gameplay action-wise is solid, the gear fun to collect, and the environments and art still looks great.

Then again, I don't care much for any of the ME stories, 1-3 included, so skipping the cutscenes might be advisable to save time.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
If you truly truly love Mass Effect...maybe, just treat it like a fan game, so keep expectations low and turn off your brain

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The story is forgettable but it's still worth playing if you want to play a solid sci-fi third-person shooter with light RPG elements.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
The less you like Mass Effect the bigger are the chances you like Andromeda though. Andromeda isn't a good game regardless, but some of its bigger flaws can only be fully... appreciated if you played the trilogy.
True.
To rephrase, play it if you either A) don't care about story at all, or B) are dying to see a Krogan/Turian/etc again

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
I went with low expectations and end up enjoying it. Obviously is the weakest game of the series but you can still find a decent Bioware action RPG there.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
think i got it for $5. because everybody hated it so much, my expectations were very low

i thought it was fine, didn't have all the baggage that ME3 had. enjoyed my time with it, didn't mess with much of the side stuff

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Vetra is bae

latest

Corsick

Oct 27, 2017
I try not to be too harsh...but it's unsalvageable and doesn't have many bright spots at all. It's why the announcement of it being tied into the new game bummed me out actually.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's a well below average game, not worthy of the franchise. There are much better games out there more worth your time, even if you are a ME fan.

Yeah this. Once they 'fixed' all the bugs and problems I tried it out again and while the game actually performs decently enough, it's just not a very good video game.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
The trappings of a Mass Effect game are there, and the combat system can be fun. For like $5, it's worth it IMO to just run around a bit, get to know a few of the decent companions, and enjoy the Mass Effect combat with better visuals.
That said, with ME eventually turning the focus back on the Milky Way, Andromeda's story isn't worth investing in. It's a weak retread with bland new races and a forgettable villain.

If you haven't played any Mass Effect, just wait for the remaster, it'll be a much better overall experience, even if ME:1 remains a bit rough around the edges.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
The story ends on a cliffhanger that was gonna be finished via DLC that will never come out now. So be prepared to leave the game unfulfilled if you do finish it.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I've only played like 10 hours of ME 1 and a bunch of Andromeda ( made a LTTP recently)

I really like Andromeda, and not so much ME1.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I played it at launch on PS4, then double dipped on PC last year. Beaten it twice so far, and I won't stop there.

Spoken like a true Bioware follower.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
I enjoyed it for what it was, but I don't think it's a good game for your first experience with Mass Effect. Wait for the trilogy remasters and if you like them, you can try Andromeda later (there's some good moments to be had but at the same time, it's the weakest game of the franchise).

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I hate to answer a question with a question, but for people like me who love the world building elements (I love flipping through the game's encyclopedia and reading the description of every planet) of the original trilogy, does Andromeda match up in that regard?

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Even after all of the fixes I felt like the visual style was stylized/simplified and not as realistic as the previous games. I had a hard time getting past that.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
The gameplay is actually really fun since you can freely shift between soldier, vanguard etc. Its cheap so why not try it and see for yourself? The story is silly and dumb, but it's not worse than ME3 imo.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay is awesome. But the story doesn't ever click. Wasted potential.

And because it all happens in another fuckin galaxy, nothing that happens in the game will ever matter in the ME universe! If you ask me, that was a pretty terrible decision!

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It was at launch and it is even more so now, at least on PC and not because of mods

The gameplay is amazing, the exploration is fun and the presentation holds up well. The characters are hit or miss and the story is generally bad, but I still enjoyed it a great deal and I thought it was a worthy attempt at a new entry in the Mass Effect franchise. I think there's still a lot of untapped potential too, which hopefully they'll lean into with the new game as per the reveal Trailer

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Once the fixes came out it was totally fine. It's not the best ME game but it's still a lot of fun. People here hold shit to such a impossibly high standard it's absurd.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
The story and world is forgettable and mosts of the enemies are bland and repetitive. I honestly can't even remember the main character's name off the top of my head.

But for $10, I'd say it's worth checking out if you're interested. It's an undercooked game more than anything else. The combat and traversal has loads of potential if they were to flesh it out for the next game.

Nov 2, 2019
It's an ok game. It's a bad Mass Effect game.

Like, there's Asari, Turians, Krogan, etc. but it never felt like a true Mass Effect game.

There's also something off about it, and it's not the graphics. I think the transition to Frostbite didn't do the game any favors and they tried to do too much. There's no game "system" that's well done, whether it's combat, exploration, UI, or even just walking around. Everything is just... off.

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
The recent apparent link between the new ME4 game and both the Trilogy and ME:A re-sparked my interest in it.

I've now sunk 20 hours into the game (heavily modded, over 30 QoL/Gameplay/Fidelity mods) on Insanity, and it's a bloody good romp now (vs the dumpster fire at launch).

I recommend mods for sure, add a big spark to the game it was missing in the OG form.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you're a ME fan, you should play it. I finished the game last week, 41 hours took my run. Is the worst ME game, there's no doubt about it, but is nit as terrible as people often describe it.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Also recently picked it up for 8 euros and I'm enjoying my time with it so far.

It's not the OG trilogy and there's plenty that could have been done better, aside form bugs and glitches.

It's one of those game that got buried underneath an absurd amount of negativity, but it's not that bad at aaaaaaall. I'm having a pretty good time!

EDIT: Do it OP.

Last edited:

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the game in the spring for $10 because I wanted to try it as well. No regrets, it's a solid game if you like the series, just nowhere near as good as the series highs.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I was close to buying it and Dragon Age Inquisition on Steam sale. Bought Ace Combat 7 instead.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's still buggy and supremely unpolished...but I enjoyed it? Just go in expecting it to be a mess, the story also isn't the best but is buoyed by solid characters. Also be prepared for a similar open world/level structure to Inquisition, which I don't particularly have a problem with but I've seen enough people hate that I feel it's worth mentioning. Probably worth giving a go for cheap.