• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
Just wondering if anything is under the surface of just creating levels for someone not into that? For instance are their new premade levels made or anything else outside of making your own levels?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I played it on the Wii U pretty religiously just checking out levels other people uploaded. That in itself was far more fun than me ever making my own level.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think you'd be missing an essential part of the experience. There's certainly plenty of levels to PLAY, but if you're not gonna work with the maker tools you might as well just play the Mario games you already have.

Aug 27, 2018
There are pre-made levels but also levels that other people have created. If you want to play new Mario levels regularly this is the game you can do that with.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
We had a lot of fun in the mode that let you run through random lists of other player created levels.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Oh hell yeah.

You'll have an endless amount of Mario levels. Eventually, the community will have a fantastic selection of good/amazing levels that you'll be set for long time on 2D Mario game's.

Plus im sure Nintendo will include original created levels like the last two entries.

Tho early online days will be rough with bad levels lol

Rarokko

Jan 22, 2019
Brazil
Totally. I've never created anything in the game but had tons of fun playing random levels. There is also some gamemodes that are just about playing random levels.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes..playing other people and usually some from nintendo itself is great mario experience. I rarely making levels in wiiU but i spent about 60 hours playing people levels. Its fun.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
from my experience. Yes... Werll, mildly yes. If they don't take theuir time to catewgorise levels you'll end up with a lot of Kaizo level and automatic levels. They need to get their shit done to make the sharing experience better.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
There's some premade levels included and you can check out other people's levels, but don't expect all of the user made ones to be Nintendo quality.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Of course, considering millions of levels will be uploaded. I'm sure there will be a topic here to help determine the best ones too.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's worth it for sure. Even if you never make a proper level you can have a ton of fun just playing around with the editor. The supply of levels is great, you get a bunch of weird stuff but it's pretty easy and quick to skip forward to something else.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
You'll have no trouble finding legitimately excellent courses. But even the weaker ones have a certain charm to them. The levels in Mario Maker have a surreal atmosphere to them that keeps me returning to see what else is in store.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
People create some amazing levels so maybe. If you get Mario Maker I would recommend at least trying out the level creator. I don't find level creation modes in most to be fun but had a lot of fun creating levels in Mario Maker.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. The majority of community created levels are garbage and the curated levels were few and far between.

That being said, I'm not a "content creator" guy at all, but making levels in Mario Maker was a really fun experience. So maybe you'll like it even though you don't expect to?

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i've never made a level and probably put in between 30-40 hours between the wii-u and 3ds versions.

it's just endless mario platforming-- can't wait to not make anything in pt 2 either

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
It is absolutely worth it for the millions of playable levels alone. I'm not the creative type so I had a hard time making good levels in the first game. I'm sure Mario Maker 2 will have even more creative levels to play endlessly without even needing to create a single level.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I hated the first one because people tend to make stupid levels or super hard non mario like levels. The idea sounds good on paper, just didn't execute well for someone like me.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
It is worth it if you are good with playing a lot of peoples creations. There were tons of brilliant created levels in the original Mario Maker.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The original came with some nintendo made levels, the 3ds version expanded on that and there are lots of "singleplayer" modes to play levels made by random people based on difficulty which rewards you with stuff.

LWzmQD6.jpg

And don't forget the official made levels that also gave you outfits like the pokemon, hello kitty or baby metal ones

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I never made a single level (I mean, a real real one) and to me it was incredible.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Honestly, the quality of levels can vary a lot, and I found playing certain types of levels to be really frustrating and tedious. I hope Nintendo improves the filtering options in the sequel, because I really don't want to "play" levels that play by themselves (and are overly long) or levels that you just walk/run to the right in order to complete them. Also, too many levels are far too difficult.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It depends. If you really just don't want to at all, I would consider waiting a little bit.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, there's a collection of 70ish Nintendo levels in the base game organized as the "10 Mario Challenge", plus a bunch more patched in as "event courses" to unlock costumes. The 3DS version has another set of 100ish Challenge levels as well.

And then the game serves you up levels in the 100 Mario mode, you just have to have some appetite for skipping through some crud.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The original came with some nintendo made levels, the 3ds version expanded on that and there are lots of "singleplayer" modes to play levels made by random people based on difficulty which rewards you with stuff.

LWzmQD6.jpg

And don't forget the official made levels that also gave you outfits like the pokemon, hello kitty or baby metal ones

What type of rewards?

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I bought the first Mario Maker with the plan in mind that I'd just play user created levels. I didn't have the game for too long, so don't take my experience as gospel, but I found a lot of the levels to bit hit or miss. The auto-run levels are amusing at first, but kind of wear out their welcome. A lot of the other levels my girlfriend and I tried just weren't long or entertaining enough to sustain our interest in the game and we ultimately traded it in.

That being said, if others are saying that there's a ton of great levels to explore, I'll defer to them since I'm sure the community only got stronger after I sold my copy.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely yes, I barely made any of my own levels, but I got so much play time out of the levels my daughter made, as well as levels random folks made online, that I probably eclipsed over twenty hours played for the game, which for me is quite a lot these days. Great game, tons of charm, ridiculous fun.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Yeah, if you don't want to make courses could still be a lot of fun playing others'. I was only checking out the Mario Maker subreddit around release, but I'm guessing the old place had a solid community for sharing and providing feedback on levels. It's a neat and pretty unique rhythm to get in of trying out some levels and sharing your thoughts with the creators. People used to even post sets of levels they would refer to as their own "world" or "game", some of which turned out to be really well designed and incremental. I'm sure era will have a good community for it on release

0MAR10

Oct 27, 2017
Louisiana
i have spent 99% of my time on mario maker (150 hrs) i'm playing levels . i made one short level that went viral online and never touched it again . (for reference , it's the level where you slide down the pole but never make it to the end and mario is just endlessly running )

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I made maybe 3 levels in Mario Maker 1 and it was worth it. Playing other people's levels brings endless entertainment.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Do you like playing through Mario levels? Because you're sure to see a veritable ton of user created levels to play even if you never make one yourself.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely, the community has created lots of excellent stuff, and to me it's always fascinating trying levels that think outside the boundaries of what Nintendo normally does - assuming they are well-made levels, that is. But amongs plenty of trash, there's tons of quality material, too. Worth it imho.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
If you take your time finding the good levels, absolutely. All the puzzle levels, traditional Mario levels, Kaizo levels and so many more original creations makes it very much worth your time and money.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
There were some good courses but hard to find the wheat from the chaff. And there was a ton of chaff. Chaff everywhere.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, yeah, definitely. I played the game on and off for months and month and only really messed around with the level creator to get a feel for it. I think creating content adds a whole other element to the game and would be a fantastic value for those interested, but the game is great to just play other peoples content.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'm don't think I'll be creating anything either, OP. I'm currently playing through Mario Maker 3DS, specifically the built-in levels from Nintendo, and am really enjoying them. Some of them are quite challenging, too.

I may have a go at creating some levels for the Switch version.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to be a creator to enjoy MM. The levels made by the community can be amazing.

I really hope MM 2 won't require online to download levels but I'm very doubtful about that

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they do something good about giving you good levels, or some kind of incentive to play others.

That was my main beef with MM. I didn't super enjoy making levels, and even when you cleared a level online... you're not progressing torwards anything really.

Honestly, if you want to play some really badass levels, just play Super Luigi U. THOSE are some real great Mario levels.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Of course

Just know it may require a bit of effort on your part to find good standard mario difficulty levels.