• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What 3D Mario do you like the most ?

• Mario 64

Votes: 291 25.0%
  • Mario Sunshine

Votes: 57 4.9%
  • Mario Galaxy

Votes: 327 28.1%
  • Mario Galaxy 2

Votes: 264 22.7%
  • Mario 3D World

Votes: 79 6.8%
  • Mario Odyssey

Votes: 138 11.9%
  • Other ?

Votes: 7 0.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a fan of the more open ended Mario games. The best parts of Mario Sunshine were the void levels. Was absolutely bored shitless by Mario Odyssey and its flat level design.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Be real.

If both of these games were released as-is on a current console on the same date. Past or present. Which one do you think is better?

Would still say 64. Classic.

(My memory of both games is hazy, but I distinctly recall disliking large chunks of Galaxy, so it loses out there)

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I've always preferred the polish and the hub world of 1 compared to 2. I know 2 gets points cuz Yoshi and being "harder" but neither of those elements mattered much to me. My most memorable experiences came from Galaxy 1.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
Galaxy 1 and 2 remake or remaster is all I need for switch, truly the best Mario games ever made

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is quite a bit better. And Galaxy 2 beats them both.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I actually prefer Odyssey, though Galaxy 1/2 are still 10/10 and among my favourite games of all time.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me? No. The presentation has easilly surpassed 64 and it has a godly soundtrack, but mechanically the game is a step back from 64 and Sunshine in allot of ways. On top of it, It's too easy even for a Mario game and whille i can appreciate the variety and the focused linnear level design, i think all of these aspect were pulled off better in Galaxy 2. As Galaxy has far too many Wii mote specific levels which are not fun.

I loved Galaxy when i first played it but ny opinion of it had soured somewhat over the years but my opinion of 64 and Sunshine seems to get more and more positive with each replay. Galaxy 1 is good but it's my least favorite 3D Mario aside from 3D World right now. I think i prefer 3D Land over the first Galaxy as well, as there is less pointless fluff and the post game was great.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
You had to be there for mario 64. Like we can still marvel when seeing a speedrun in action, but as a kid this game turned everything upside down.

For me it showed the future of 3D games. How can any other 3D mario compare, when it's treading the same path as it's predecessors.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Galaxy is the best 3D Mario by a big margin. Fantastic, fresh gameplay, an amazing soundtrack, an incredible atmosphere. Nothing else comes close. Even if you include 2D Mario I'd only put Super Mario Land 2 higher. 64 might have been fresh at the time, but it hasn't aged well imho.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, but I also don't have much fondness for Mario 64, too much stuff that isn't platforming that just feels obtuse and always did to me. I much prefer the more focused platforming structure of the Galaxy and 3D Land/World games. Odyssey delivered on a bunch of 64's original vision and benefited from many lessons learnt since which was nice.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
My favourites are Galaxy and Odyssey, its really hard for me to choose one, but i chose Odyssey as I knew Galaxy was probably winning and Odyssey needed more my help.
Mario 64 is a classic and a revelation for its time.
Mario Galaxy 2 is an incredible expansion pack, but its just an expansion pack, and loses a lot of charm and presentation that the original game had. Im glad Koizumi just doesnt give a fuck about Miyamoto's opinion in story and presentation of mario titles anymore.
3D land was an amazing mario portable title.
3d world was incredible gameplay wise, but feels incredibly limited compared to 64, Galaxy and Odyssey becuase of trying to go with the Mario 3d land design.
All this above games are incredible, and some of them are just masterpieces.

Mario Sunshine is an utter piece of trash.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think Mario Galaxy is the best game ever made so yes. Love it and I wish Nintendo would give us Galaxy 3.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
64 has such a charming concept that's executed almost perfectly. I like Galaxy a lot but have never felt like replaying it, while 64 is just so easy to replay or speedrun.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
A Mario game without a flagpole and/or timer is not a true mario game imo. I'm probably just old

Luvlaskan

Oct 31, 2017
I prefer how Mario feels in 64. The physics in Galaxy feels like they've been refined to the point of feeling slightly limited in comparison. Galaxy also have so many levels that are not pure platforming and I find them an absolute slog.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
I am not sure if they can really be compared, but both are masterpieces regardless.

However, If I was to put all the of 3D Mario games together, Galaxy 2 is the best entry.

Improved upon on the original in every single way and feels like platforming perfection complemented by a gorgeous soundtrack and art style.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
It's much better, but also much less influential.

64 is great and also one of the most important games of all time.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
No, it is not. It is different. It is an evolution.

Not to sound contrarian, but that evolution often makes the game better. For the same reasons I easily say Mario 3 is better than Mario 1, I would make the case for Galaxy/Galaxy 2 over 64. The same way not being able to move the screen left in Mario 1 is an actual shortcoming, so are many age-related QoL problems in Mario 64.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Mario 64 for me, the camera sucks so bad in galaxy 1 that I couldn't play it for long. I haven't gone back to give SMG2 a go.

SM 3D World isn't very popular, sadly. It's an amazing game...
I adore 3D world (found 3D land easy and boring). It's probably my second favorite 3D Mario (I do like odyssey but not sure if more then 3D world).

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Galaxy is to 64 like SMB3 is to SMB1. One is clearly superior and evolution while the first has a special charm that can't be replicated whether nostalgia, being the first one/innovator and to some that can be seen as making it superior which is a fine opinion to have.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
My mind says yes, but my heart says no.

Either way, they (Galaxy 1 & 2, 64) stand as some of the best games of all time.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Mario 64 for me, the camera sucks so bad in galaxy 1 that I couldn't play it for long. I haven't gone back to give SMG2 a go.

I adore 3D world (found 3D land easy and boring). It's probably my second favorite 3D Mario (I do like odyssey but not sure if more then 3D world).
3D World is how I imagined / dreamt a 3D Mario would be like in the future. I feel like a kid playing it.

Apr 21, 2018
Galaxy is great but a lot of rose-tinted glasses here.

The game had tons of filler. It had those weird motion controls, the spring Mario power-up which was annoying to use.

It was great don't get me wrong but it had flaws too.

The more I think about it, 3D World had the purest gameplay with the least filler - although Galaxy had far higher highs and SM64 was a revolutionary breakthrough with controls so tight games twenty years later (including galaxy) can't touch. Actually I'd say Odyssey finally matches SM64 for controls.

A lot of random thoughts in this thread.

Yes I'd end up voting Galaxy. The highs of that game, the music, the creativity, pure bliss.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Where my Sunshine boiz at

tenor.gif