• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
MalwareBytes is pretty much the gold standard.

Windows Defender + MalwareBytes + safe internet practice is the best combination ever.

Also, if you ever find a file questionable, before launching it upload it to VirusTotal for scanning with a lot of different AV engines.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
I finally got rid of it after they forced their sleazy subscription service on me long enough. I paid for a license back before the subscription plan so I was a lifetime member. But everytime they forced an update, I'd have to go find my verification key all over again.

Finally, they said I ran out of devices to use the key on and other such bullshit. So I just let it go. Safe internet practices and Windows Defender are good enough these days. Yes I'm salty, I paid for a lifetime pass, fuck them.

EDIT: And also, while I had it, the later versions LOVED giving you pop ups reminding you to subscribe or update or whatever. There was an option in the settings to disable these notifications and surprise, it didn't work.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I finally got rid of it after they forced their sleazy subscription service on me long enough. I paid for a license back before the subscription plan so I was a lifetime member. But everytime they forced an update, I'd have to go find my verification key all over again.

Finally, they said I ran out of devices to use the key on and other such bullshit. So I just let it go. Safe internet practices and Windows Defender are good enough these days. Yes I'm salty, I paid for a lifetime pass, fuck them.

EDIT: And also, while I had it, the later versions LOVED giving you pop ups reminding you to subscribe or update or whatever. There was an option in the settings to disable these notifications and surprise, it didn't work.
I had the exactly same experience :o

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
I personally feel you don't really need it. Windows Defender is good enough combined with adequate browser extensions like NoScript, NoCoin, AdBlock, etc.

It might still be the best though from my own experience.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I personally feel you don't really need it. Windows Defender is good enough combined with adequate browser extensions like NoScript, NoCoin, AdBlock, etc.

It might still be the best though from my own experience.

Agree and haven't used malware bytes in years.

Oct 25, 2017
Is the consensus that Windows Defender is good now?
I've been using Kaspersky for years and my subscription has just run out and wasnt sure if I could get a better Antivirus else where or renew.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Avast is the best. Just as good as Malware Bytes and less obtrusive and annoying. Silent Mode ftw!

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Is the consensus that Windows Defender is good now?
I've been using Kaspersky for years and my subscription has just run out and wasnt sure if I could get a better Antivirus else where or renew.
DO NOT USE KAPERSKY! EVER! It has a built in back door that can be used to harvest your data and spy on you. This is why the federal government forbids it from being used or installed on any PCs with any sort of sensitive equipment.

But yes windows defender is pretty decent nowadays. I couple it with Avast and Spybot myself just for some extra security. Spybit does a really good job of plugging holes malware can use to imbed itself in your registry with its immunization function

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not as good as it used to be. Good to install and check your machine along with another scanner. If you have an infection never just rely on one vendor to clear up.

DO NOT USE KAPERSKY! EVER! It has a built in back door that can be used to harvest your data and spy on you. This is why the federal government forbids it from being used or installed on any PCs with any sort of sensitive equipment.

There is a general consensus that as the software is Russian based it could be interfered/exploited at some point by the Russian government - but I don't think there are any proven cases of this at this point?

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I like malwarebytes even if it's a bit overzealous at times. Combined with defender, and ad block and noscript for firefox and I've been pleasantly free of nasties. Of course common sense is the best defense.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
I had the avast free version and it felt like I had installed a bad mobile game on my machine, pop-ups telling me to click to unlock a prize or some shit.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Malwarebytes + Windows Defender is basically what I run and all my PCs are fine.

Damn that sucks. I've had a lifetime sub and I've never run into this issue. I think I've used it on several PCs and have always been good with upgrading and keeping their premium service. Hell, I just booted and updated a PC I haven't touched in over a year and it updated with no issue.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I can't believe nobody mentioned ESET NOD32. Real time protection, process scanning, no annoying bullshit. I've tried everything else, Kaspersky, Avast, MalwareBytes, this is the best experience for me and it's not even a contest.

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
On top of Defender, Microsoft also has the Windows Software Removal Tool that runs every month. No need for Malware Bytes

Using Defender is the best solution for most people. Keep Windows up to date, set user account control to Highest. Make sure your browser is up to date.

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona

Same thing, I said fuck them and got some free shit and some more firefox extensions.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not as good as it used to be. Good to install and check your machine along with another scanner. If you have an infection never just rely on one vendor to clear up.

There is a general consensus that as the software is Russian based it could be interfered/exploited at some point by the Russian government - but I don't think there are any proven cases of this at this point?
It had been reported to have happened with an NSA guy who took some work home with him.

Generally speaking though, pretty much any anti-virus will have full access to your computer (otherwise it can't scan all your fules for viruses), and they all send telemetry back to their servers for analysis.

When I'd last read about Kaspereky, security experts were saying don't use it if you work with government or have sensitive corporate financial information. For normal consumers, there's probably not much to worry about. And turn off the setting that sends telemetry data back. Kaspersky was also moving their servers for foreign service to Switzerland, and was involving third parties to "increase transparency".

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Generally speaking though, pretty much any anti-virus will have full access to your computer (otherwise it can't scan all your fules for viruses), and they all send telemetry back to their servers for analysis.
Any anti-virus software is also integrating itself deep into your system, ironically enough increasing your overall attack surface and in the case of "features" like Malwarebytes' web protection, essentially creating a man-in-the-middle environment for all your web browsing, further decreasing the effectiveness of any other measures you take to protect yourself. Also, most of these "advanced" heuristic and similar detection methods not only come with a heavy performance hit, but they're also unreliable and prone to false positives.

That's why nobody recommends anything other than Windows' built-in anti-virus anymore - it's integrated deep into the system anyway, it's much more lightweight than any other software and it doesn't provide bullshit internet screening features that are of questionable implementation (most of these seem to use their own security certificates too) and since Microsoft already controls your OS it's not like you're exposing personal data to anyone new either.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Avoid questionable sites and this isn't a problem.

I see someone hasn't been paying attention to online developments these past few years.

Malware can strike anywhere at any time, regardless of how "safe" you think a site is. All it takes is an ad injection, hostile site takeover, or anything else that you, as an end user, have no control over.

If you haven't had any malware attacks on your PC (and who knows what's lurking in the background of your system if you're not running anything that can detect it for you?), you're just lucky. What sites you visit has little to do with it.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
malware can also propagate through third party ads, and can therefore involve "sensible" sites...

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't need more than Windows Defender tbh. Haven't had any virus/malware issues in years.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I use Malwarebytes and NOD32 on my Windows partition, I don't use anything on my Linux partition in regards to antivirus.

I have uBlock installed on both versions of Chrome I have installed.

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
For over 4 years I have only used windows defender, havnet had any viruses or malwares during that time.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Ever since Windows 10 I've been using Windows Defender and occasionally Malware Bytes for full scans. Malware Bytes actually found something one time, no idea where I got it from, luckily wasn't anything serious. Windows Defender didn't say a thing about it, so you can't rely on that. Although I uninstall/disable Malware Bytes when I'm not using it because of the annoying pop ups for subscribing.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I've never got these annoying pop ups to subscribe and I bought lifetime one like 10 years ago.

Also it blocks websites before they even load due to potential malware on them. I've never seen Windows Defender do that so I trust it more than Defender.

Oct 30, 2017
I still use Avast. Its irritating maybe once a month when it blocks something or when it needs you to renew something. I think I run spybot and malwarebytes every now and then which is more of habit

I visit some sketchy looking places on the net sometimes for old apps that are only available in that site. So I still need protection from that.

How has there been not an open source anti-virus project yet?

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I haven't used Malware Bytes in a couple years. I only use Defender + common sense internet use and I haven't had any problems.

Makkah

Feb 9, 2018
Same thing, I said fuck them and got some free shit and some more firefox extensions.

The same thing happened to me. Fear not, my dudes just contact support and they'll move your license to an account, allowing you to reauthorize old machines if you have to.

I bought my key from Amazon and had to show them proof of purchase btw.

It also really helps if the email tied to your purchase is the one you're using to create the account.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, still using it. Not sure of the sub update people mentioned even tho I'm registered. Altho I'm still on Win7 so maybe that's why.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I see someone hasn't been paying attention to online developments these past few years.

Malware can strike anywhere at any time, regardless of how "safe" you think a site is. All it takes is an ad injection, hostile site takeover, or anything else that you, as an end user, have no control over.

If you haven't had any malware attacks on your PC (and who knows what's lurking in the background of your system if you're not running anything that can detect it for you?), you're just lucky. What sites you visit has little to do with it.
Then I hope Windows Defender is doing its job!

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I've been using MalwareBytes and CCleaner on my Mac for a while, plus UBlock Origin, Adblock Plus Chrome extensions and so far have been good.
Is there a decent free Defender alternative for Mac that anyone uses?

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Oh lol we use that now where I work. We was actually thinking of moving to something else and Malwarebytes was a close second. Symantec has too many false positives.

Hmm. Can't say I've seen that problem. Ive seen the admin alerts and it just seems to primarily a good job of blocking ad injections and downloads the users should definitely be staying away from anyway lol

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I can't believe nobody mentioned ESET NOD32. Real time protection, process scanning, no annoying bullshit. I've tried everything else, Kaspersky, Avast, MalwareBytes, this is the best experience for me and it's not even a contest.
I used to love NOD32, but I stopped using it at some point, because it'd max out my CPU whenever I downloaded a file in an attempt to scan it. Made my computer almost unusable at times. I don't know how much it's changed, but I recall it being a relatively lightweight software package, and it introduced me to the idea of heuristics. Any idea as to how it compares to Malwarebytes (which I currently subscribe to)?

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The reliance on Adblock and other list-based blockers is super fascinating to me because it wasn't long ago that everyone used Spybot SD, which is a very similar list based blocker.

IIRC, using it was discouraged after a while since it was only as good as the lists...

I used to love NOD32, but I stopped using it at some point, because it'd max out my CPU whenever I downloaded a file in an attempt to scan it. Made my computer almost unusable at times. I don't know how much it's changed, but I recall it being a relatively lightweight software package, and it introduced me to the idea of heuristics. Any idea as to how it compares to Malwarebytes (which I currently subscribe to)?

I use both ESET and Malwarebytes and have zero issues with either.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would you guys recommend for an enterprise network? Malware Bytes too?

I have not personally seen what MB's offering looks like, but they'd need to have a very solid centralizing management plane before I'd even consider it. That plus an EDR offering.

Regular EPPs don't cut it at all anymore.