• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Luke good with a lightsaber? Why?

• Yes, Obi-Wan taught him on the way to Alderaan

Votes: 21 5.3%
  • Yes, the Force granted him the ability

Votes: 53 13.3%
  • Yes, for narrative reasons that don't have a concrete lore justification

Votes: 138 34.5%
  • Yes, for some other reason

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • No, but a lightsaber would be deadly to non-Jedi in anyone's hands

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • No, but he's still good enough to beat non-Jedi

Votes: 122 30.5%
  • Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living, that's something else.

Votes: 31 7.8%

• Total voters

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
As someone who isn't really a SW fan and only seen the OT and ST: why is swordfighting even a thing? (beyond the rule of 'it looks cool' I guess) They have laserguns, why is anyone even bothering with swords.

I always thought it was kind of odd that they'd limit themselves to lightsabers only most of the time. It's like

6rZ8g8R.jpg

You know, use blasters when enemies are far away and lightsabers when they're not. It's not like they're trying to reach out the cockpit with a lightsaber when they're dog fighting in spaceships, after all.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Even conflicted, he is very very good and should have been able to defend his arm being cut off.
Conflicted=not even trying to make an effort. Even his "obi wan has trained you well" line sounds incredibly fake and like he's going through the motions out of obligation.

As someone who isn't really a SW fan and only seen the OT and ST: why is swordfighting even a thing? (beyond the rule of 'it looks cool' I guess) They have laserguns, why is anyone even bothering with swords.
The force gives you enough premonition to block and even send blaster shots back.
NZo5kM3.gif

You don't even have to use to your eyes
training.gif

and it's something even children learn to do.
giphy.gif

In short, unless you have overwhelming numbers or catch a jedi by surprise shooting at them is useless.

Last edited:

shacklecat

Nov 14, 2017
Maul or the average inquisitor would have destroyed him. Luckily there were other Jedi offscreen to protect him from the real baddies so he could save the galaxy by being a useless weakling who can't even block force lightning

OP
OP
Lost Lemurian

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I think it's a combination of raw talent (imparted by the Force) and youthful vigor. Clearly he doesn't have the technique or know the nuances and forms that come from decades of training, but he's still fast and strong enough to keep up with Vader.
I always assumed that Vader wasn't really trying, and that it was more about Luke's personal growth and connection to the Force anyway.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I always thought it was kind of odd that they'd limit themselves to lightsabers only most of the time. It's like

6rZ8g8R.jpg

You know, use blasters when enemies are far away and lightsabers when they're not. It's not like they're trying to reach out the cockpit with a lightsaber when they're dog fighting in spaceships, after all.
Jedi are monks not trained soldiers, it's like asking why a Shaolin monk uses his fists to fight rather than a gun. Being the most effective at killing someone isn't the point.

OP
OP
Lost Lemurian

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Maul or the average inquisitor would have destroyed him. Luckily there were other Jedi offscreen to protect him from the real baddies so he could save the galaxy by being a useless weakling who can't even block force lightning
Can't block Force lightning if you've foolishly thrown away your lightsaber in a gesture of defiance.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
a 60 year old punked not only but two young people in their prime and people are asking this, really?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
you'd think yoda or obi-wan would have brought that up at some point tbh

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed that Vader wasn't really trying, and that it was more about Luke's personal growth and connection to the Force anyway.
Yeah, I think there's some of that, though Luke does legit overpower him when he cuts off Vader's hand. If you watch Rebels, it'll show that Vader equally not trying all that hard is more than enough to fend off a full assault from Ahsoka.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Conflicted=not even trying to make an effort. Even his "obi wan has trained you well" line sounds incredibly fake and like he's going through the motions out of obligation.

If he's not making an effort why not just stand there and get cut in half? Completely disagree with this take. Climax had to show the growth in Luke from his ESB defeat, his rise to become a Jedi by defeating Vader. And then of course, Vader's redemption.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I think there's some of that, though Luke does legit overpower him when he cuts off Vader's hand. If you watch Rebels, it'll show that Vader equally not trying all that hard is more than enough to fend off a full assault from Ahsoka.
He did personally train Ahsoka though so he has an advantage in that match up vs anyone else as would know like the back of his hand her flaws strength and preferred way to attack. Same with Obiwan vs him

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

6rZ8g8R.jpg

You'd love Ezra's lightsaber. It has a gun built into the grip so you can use it as both a blaster and a lightsaber. It's super unique and really cool. When Kanan uses it to fight the Grand Inquisitor he's clearly impressed by the ingenuity.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
🍵

If he's not making an effort why not just stand there and get cut in half?
Not making an effort that would easily end someone who has way less experience=/=well guess imma just literally die. During the fight, Vader doesn't do anything remotely as aggressive as when he drops the pretense in ESB:
main-qimg-9ee1a2131191612266b10e11474cf9ea

He doesn't want this. He doesn't wanna see Luke become a puppet of the emperor. He doesn't know what to do. So he goes through the motions, fulfills his role as a puppet. Says lines like "Obi-wan has trained you well" as he lets himself get kicked down stairs. Luke's potential is what mattered to the emperor. He never at any point in the OT was Vader tier.

Climax had to show the growth in Luke from his ESB defeat, his rise to become a Jedi by defeating Vader. And then of course, Vader's redemption.
He didn't rise to jedi by fighting Vader, that's the entire point. Being the badass who wins the sword fight is portrayed as the wrong thing to do, from Vader's own reluctance to the imagery itself. This is what matters, this is the moment that makes Luke a jedi:
main-qimg-106b5dfc9b0b01dd7e60c7711949ff7f

Luke is an interesting protagonist because unlike so many in media, getting the sword, being a badass and straightforwardly killing the bad guy isn't how he succeeds.

Last edited:

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Similarly to how the movies don't show people using the bathroom, sleeping, or eating at every meal, in the margins of his life Luke is dedicated to becoming better at his craft. He's not playing pazaak before he goes to bed at night, he's training with his lightsaber

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I mean the whole thing is completely out of whack if you want solid rankings or levels. Luke never fought other high level dark side users in lightsaber combat except Vader and Kylo, and in both cases it's arguable how serious one side was actually trying.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Vader and Palpatine (...and Yoda *sigh*) are all canonically good at lightsaber fighting, though. It just wasn't shown in the OT.
But they never had a reason to use it. Yoda was chilling at a swamp and Palpatine was content to sit on his throne before Vader's (foreseeable) betrayal happened. Vader's the only one to engage in lightsaber fights but Episode 3 tried really hard to explain away Vader's decreased mobility with his wounds & the suit. Plus Vader never wanted to kill Luke in either movie because he wanted to recruit/save his son (the only time he tried killing him in the movies was the original Death Star battle but Han saved Luke with the power of convenient timing)

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
🍵

Not making an effort that would easily end someone who has way less experience=/=well guess imma just literally die. h

He didn't rise to jedi by fighting Vader, that's the entire point. Being the badass who wins the sword fight is portrayed as the wrong thing to do, from Vader's own reluctance to the imagery itself. This is what matters, this is the moment that makes Luke a jedi:

Yeah, that's the moment. He bested Vader, but didn't strike him down.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Peak Vader is an absolute animal but that's not portrayed in the movies at all. This whole thread is somewhat a result of the action being super basic in the originals, being over-the-top in the prequels, and Luke not doing much directing fighting even in TLJ.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
That'd be good advice, yeah -- "And you know Emperor Palpatine? You might think he's a harmless old man but actually he can shoot lightning out of his hands."
"I fought Palpatine and got my ass beat. You aint up to this challenge just yet. Might want to give it a few years. hmmm"

OP
OP
Lost Lemurian

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Yeah, I always interpreted it as Luke taking Vader by surprise with his ferocity, and Vader being too off-balance to defend himself.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
His intended arc in the OT would have involved his progression from neophyte in the first movie, to achieving competent Jedi knight-hood in Return of the Jedi. It's only retroactively through the prequels and the EU and the fight choreography style that was in fashion at the time those were made that he was made to look inferior. But that's mostly just advances in film production.

Regardless of advances and fashion in movie fight choreography, I always imagined him as being as competent for his general level of Jedi master-dom, if maybe not notable or exceptional.

Luke is an interesting protagonist because unlike so many in media, getting the sword, being a badass and straightforwardly killing the bad guy isn't how he succeeds.

This is an important theme of the OT, though, which makes focusing on power or skill levels kind of missing the point.

Last edited:

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
🍵

Not making an effort that would easily end someone who has way less experience=/=well guess imma just literally die. During the fight, Vader doesn't do anything as remotely as aggressive as when he drops the pretense in ESB:
main-qimg-9ee1a2131191612266b10e11474cf9ea

He doesn't want this. He doesn't wanna see Luke become a puppet of the emperor. He doesn't know what to do. So he goes through the motions, fulfills his role as a puppet. Says lines like "Obi-wan has trained you well" as he lets himself get kicked down stairs. Luke's potential is what matted to the emperor. He never at any point in the OT was Vader tier.

8ytFw2b.gif

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Like I said, I disagree with your take on it. Let's not go round in circles:)
Not really a take if it's a largely agreed on intentional part of the film. Like how else do you interpret the tone of this line, or even the body language?

when it's related to this:

This is not THE Vader that we learned to be afraid of for two movies. This is a man worried about his son.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
As far light saber combat goes, probably any Jedi Master and many knights of the prequel era could carve Luke and Rey, and probably Kylo, like a cake. Unless Luke had his fair share of lightsaber duels between VI and VII to gain enough experience to compensate the lack of training in saber forms.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
EU Luke was ridiculous so I'm glad they didn't go with that.

When talking about the ST: the combat looks raw and not as graceful as the combat in the PT (the Jedi at the hight of their power) so Reys crude combat form that improved over the course of the movies (but went nowhere near PT levels) worked.

Now the OT: sure I can get why some people complain except that their arguments are total nonsense because they forget these movies were made in the 70s (and early 80s) and FX was nowhere near what it is now.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's really hard to gauge Luke's abilities properly.

His fights with Vader aren't terrible useful to measure his skill, since Vader was heavily conflicted. He was also completely helpless against Sheev's lightning.

And while he started off well in his little duel with Rey in TLJ, she still managed to surprise him and pin him to the ground by grabbing her lightsaber. He was more skilled than Rey (at least at the time), but I don't think it was a world of difference. Luke was just more experienced. Other than that, the only in-person "fight" Luke has in the ST is Kylo dropping a house on his head.

By far his biggest feat as a Jedi is his force projection, but he also died from using it, so I don't know how good of a measuring stick that is either. His fight with Kylo is also basically meaningless, since he could theoretically make a projection move however he wanted it to.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Not really a take if it's a largely agreed on intentional part of the film. Like how else do you interpret the tone of this line, or even the body language?

when it's related to this:

This is not THE Vader that we learned to be afraid of for two movies. This is a man worried about his son.

If you're happy with how you see it that's cool. I see it differently.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
When talking about the ST: the combat looks raw and not as graceful as the combat in the PT (the Jedi at the hight of their power) so Reys crude combat form that improved over the course of the movies (but went nowhere near PT levels) worked.

I am constantly surprised that more people don't mention how brutal so much of the action is in the sequel trilogy. The fight scenes, for the most part, feel high impact. The Rey v Kylo fights feel unhinged, rather than the light and dance-like battles we see in the prequels.

OP
OP
Lost Lemurian

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I am constantly surprised that more people don't mention how brutal so much of the action is in the sequel trilogy. The fight scenes, for the most part, feel high impact. The Rey v Kylo fights feel unhinged, rather than the light and dance-like battles we see in the prequels.
I never really thought about it, but there is definitely a rawness to those battles. Even the throne room fight feels pretty brutal, and it's the most prequel-esque one, IMO.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Yoda I can ALMOST forgive at the worst of times, but Sheev should never have wielded a lightsaber. He should've been completely above needing any sort of weapon.
Yeah, the lightsaber had been referred to as a "Jedi weapon" in the original trilogy both by Obi-Wan and Palpatine (derisively, in his case), so it makes sense that Yoda would have one, but Palpatine having one is strange.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Yeah, the lightsaber had been referred to as a "Jedi weapon" in the original trilogy both by Obi-Wan and Palpatine (derisively, in his case), so it makes sense that Yoda would have one, but Palpatine having one is strange.
I don't think he always viewed as a Jedi's weapon but through the years he probably stopped using one and just relying on dark side powers.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
He probably had a ton of force ability but maybe not the most skilled with a lightsaber. But he made up for it with his force sensitivity.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Yes he is. At least compared to the people he's up against.
8scvdQk.gif

Where it gets complicated is the part where Luke only beats Vader because Vader was conflicted and not giving it his all. If Vader wanted to kill Luke at any point, he would've, quite easily. Even after training with Yoda, this could've been the end result if Vader wasn't playing him.
880947.jpg

Is this a common interpretation of the final duel between Luke and Vader? It's always how I saw it - Vader could have defeated Luke, but he was struggling with his feelings for his son.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What a good question.

I guess he was OK? Obi was obviously the best around, in my mind anyway. Vader a close second. Rey was dominating just by the sheer force of will and power she had.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
He never really won a duel so he's not good at it. He would have lost to Vader in ROTJ but Vader's goal was (I think, been a long time) to get him to turn to the dark side, and he did, for a while- Vader won. Luke was just flailing about, it's like playing poker against someone who has no idea what they are doing, they will get lucky and you can't predict them but that doesn't mean they are good.

OP
OP
Lost Lemurian

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I don't think he always viewed as a Jedi's weapon but through the years he probably stopped using one and just relying on dark side powers.
This brings up an interesting point. If Palpatine is an example of an evil Force user, and makes lightsabers out to be the weapon of exclusively Jedi and not Force users in general, then lightsaber dueling wouldn't really be a thing, because Jedi would never fight someone who also had a lightsaber. Now, decades of EU stuff and eventually the prequels would establish the Sith as being the evil version of Jedi and having their own lightsabers, but was that always the plan?

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Depends who is directing
All I know is the EU Luke is the best Luke
Which again returns to you excluding out EU

Depends who is directing
Darth Vader was the best but in episode 4 he looked like he swung that light saber with the velocity of a AARP Member Swinging a bat at a slow pitch softball game.

Yup. EU Luke one of the best lightsaber duelers.