• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm playing Red Dead Redemption II at the moment and just finished this amazing mission, which concerns Arthur and Lenny visiting the saloon for 'one drink' in a mission called 'A Quiet Time'. Naturally they get blind drunk, with the mission transitioning from one escapade to another, with the juxtaposition between each sequence providing plenty of laughs.

For example when it seems like Arthur and another guy are about to get into a vicious brawl the scene cuts to Arthur and Lenny in a row of people doing a line dance.

A scene of Arthur and Lenny slapping the shit out of each other transitions into the pair of them drunkenly dancing.

Third person transitions into first person as you wander the saloon in a drunken haze yelling "Lenny!!!", and meanwhile everyone in the saloon looks like him.

At one point you're outside pissing in first person, and then dunking some poor fool's head into a barrel, with the option of drowning him.

I tried to maintain my humanity and spared his life. It all culminates in what looked like the law chasing me in the street outside, and me jumping fences to get away from them.

Arthur wakes up in a field miles away, puking his guts out. "You moron Morgan..." he mumbles to himself, while I'm cackling at my TV.

It was hilarious and amazing. This game is blowing me away btw.

Anyway, what did you all think of this mission? Liked it? Disliked it? Are there better 'protagonist gets drunk' missions in video games? I know The Elder Scrolls loves having such a mission in its games, but this one blew them out the water in my opinion.

No spoilers for RDRII please, I'm still playing it, thanks!

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I was laughing my ass off during that entire sequence. Absolute gold.

LENNNYYYYYYY

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I just did that mission (again) the other day. I think it is the best "getting drunk" mission in a video ever.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
That mission is so damn funny. I replay it all the time
tumblr_pnit25NHhB1qeqxnjo3_r1_540.gif

tumblr_pnit25NHhB1qeqxnjo4_r1_540.gif

this part kills me
LiveJealousGyrfalcon-size_restricted.gif

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands

Came here to second this. You have more connection to the people in The Witcher 3 where Red Dead Redemption basically uses the drunk sequence as the single significant moment with Lenny... it's hilarious and memorable but lacks the resonance of The Witcher 3 for me. Especially because that one takes place on the eve of a last stand battle that, as far as the characters know, means the end for most of them.

Last edited:

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
The scene is pretty great, but I probably like Witcher 3's drunken sequence in Kaer Morhen even more. Both are brilliant though.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yes. Absolutely amazing. Played 100 hours of this amazing game and this mission is the one I will remember.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
LENNAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

One of the best moments in a game jam packed with great moments.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
It's the best mission in the game by far, because it's one of the few missions where you're not behind cover shooting.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Mass Effect 3 has a fun bunch where all the cast comes to your apartment

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Deffo the best and relatable, trying to find friends while drunk, only remembering flashes of the night, almost drowning a person, you know the usual stuff that's part of every night out!

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
This is where I stopped playing the game.
Yeah hah, I was worried it was going to be downhill from there so I've taken a break. I'm fairly confident it'll have more good moments, the quality was just too high not to but one of the posts above has me a bit worried.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is absolutely hilarious. Not sure if I prefer that one or the one from Witcher 3, but the bit at the end makes it, when you are running away through the mud yelling 'they will never take me alive!'

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's utterly fantastic. And only works because the acting and characters are brilliantly written.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I found it kind of annoying tbh. Felt the same way about Drake's drugged sequence in Uncharted 3 although that one was shorter.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
it's that or the drunk Witchers

The trippy parts from Mother 2 and 3 too if those count, but I guess that's more Drug Sequences.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
It was amazing.
Best part was button prompts getting increasingly fucked up. Genius.

Oct 30, 2017
One of the funniest moments in all gaming.. I laughed out really hard XD

It was the mission that made me fall in love with Arthur <3

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
I can't say it stood out a whole lot, R* usually inserts wacky sequences with impairment. I think I enjoyed drinking with Father Godwin and delivering his sermon more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cognizant

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Considering Witcher 3 is my favourite game ever, I can't believe I forgot to mention the drunk scene in that, but then again that's another game crammed with so much content it's easy to forget stuff. Yeah kudos for mentioning Geralt and friends, good times. Indeed it was more resonant because I was so emotionally invested in the characters by that point.

However, as someone else mentioned above there's something so realistic about RDRII's sequence, despite how farcical it is. Losing your buddy and wandering around yelling his name is basically the quintessential drunk experience.

Also good shout out for Mass Effect 3, though that was more organised chaos. One thing I loved about that sequence was the character who was the bouncer for the party constantly preventing people from attending lol.