• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
(neither JumpForce or J-Stars are even close to good compared to this)

These games are never getting ported or HD releases despite them being good and rather loved by those who owned them. I know there are not a ton of smash clones to go by but this has to be the best of the bunch, right? Hell I played Jump Super Stars more than I played SSBB.

Or am I mis-remembering and they suck?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No they were damn good

The only fault they had is that they were made at the time where they couldn't receive updates or patches, which lead to busted characters and the black koma cheats

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
They were very, very good. The way they tied every single character and franchise (even the minor ones) to the gameplay through panels was pure genius.

Ganbarion was never able to make games as good as these again once they switched to 3D development.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Those games are definitely very good. Though personally it didn't grab me too much, probably because I was never an anime fan.

I ended up enjoying DreamMix: TV World Fighters more. Just having characters I know and can enjoy the fan service for helps me a lot.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're not mis-remembering, they were excellent games. And the only good games in the entire Jump series.

Oct 28, 2017
Slightly off topic, but concerning SSB clones - I just bought TMNT Smash Up off ebay on a drunken whim, for PS2, and I'm hoping to God it's not a pile of turds.

139470.jpg

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't include them in smash like because percentage is a requirement for me to do this.

They are amazing platform fighters tho and the only ones not mediocre in the "franchise" of jump games

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The only fault they had is that they were made at the time where they couldn't receive updates or patches, which lead to busted characters and the black koma cheats

Black koma cheats?
I finished both games (not 100% tho but close) and I have no idea what you are talking about

(that being said I speak 0 japanese so that might have something to do with it xD)

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I want this series to come back so bad. Come on Bamco, the writing is on the wall. Look how successful Jump Force was, and that game was a POS (albeit fanservice was kinda delightful).

Literally perfect for Switch.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I think the DS one was fun, but they seemed very casual and gimmicky to the point where i've never really seen tournaments.
Id play something like Rivals of Aether or even Slap City over it these days.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Man...

latest

The game was so fun. Even the team formation system was dope. That was such a clever idea to use panels as characters.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad that Bandai Namco treats the Switch like a third-class console, cause we definitely would have gotten a proper sequel to Jump Stars by now instead of that trash Jump Force.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Black koma cheats?
I finished both games (not 100% tho but close) and I have no idea what you are talking about

If you ever went online prior to Nintendo wifi's shutdown then you would have a high chance probably get your butt handed to you by a Hiei from yu yu Hakusho spamming his bone move.

After a match you have the option of seeing your opponents deck and they would have a small black support koma panel connected to Hiei which allowed for infinite special points. I think ichigo was a popular character to use this cheat on too.

Being a ds cart release there was no hope or a patch to fix this, so online became a gamble of wether or not youd get a cheater.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
They were definitely enjoyable; the best Smash experience available on a handheld until Smash for 3DS.

Rivals of Aether is definitely the best Smash-like out there now though.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
It's almost criminal that there was no follow up on the 3DS or Switch. Especially with current Shonen Jump series blowing up bigger than ever. Instead, we get garbage like Jump Force.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They were very, very good. The way they tied every single character and franchise (even the minor ones) to the gameplay through panels was pure genius.

Ganbarion was never able to make games as good as these again once they switched to 3D development.
Hey, Dragon Ball Fusions is good! Everything else has been pretty blah though.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really sad that Bandai Namco treats the Switch like a third-class console, cause we definitely would have gotten a proper sequel to Jump Stars by now instead of that trash Jump Force.
I just wish in general they expanded upon the foundation that was laid with Jump Super/Ultimate Stars, rather than expanding on the crap that was J-Stars Victory VS which gave us Jump Force.

Sep 25, 2018
(neither JumpForce or J-Stars are even close to good compared to this)

These games are never getting ported or HD releases despite them being good and rather loved by those who owned them. I know there are not a ton of smash clones to go by but this has to be the best of the bunch, right? Hell I played Jump Super Stars more than I played SSBB.

Or am I mis-remembering and they suck?

they were good but not smash level good, there's no game on smash level good so it don't make sense to rank Smash

some people put Smash as A rank and every other game B rank or lower, I think it's just easier to leave smash out of any convo so every other game get a fair share

for example since I do not compare it against smash I would give that game a solid 9 out of 10, but if I had to judge it by which I prefer over it and smash I would rate it a 5 or 6 out of 10, as long as I do not compare any game to smash I can give them a better rating

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite Smash Bros.-like is easily Rivals Of Aether. I love how different each character plays and how their special moves can temporarily affect the stage.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
The only smash-like game I've ever gotten into. The other Jump games were never as good as these two imo.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
it would probably rivals of aether, really fucking good game tbh. some of my friends even prefer it over smash

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
JUS is probably my most played game. I was heavy on the Gamefaqs board for it back in the day. It was a real active community

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
They were definitely amazing. The spiritual successor One Piece games were also pretty good, but they lacked the roster and deck-building. I'd literally kill to get a new Jump Superstars game.

Narutomaki

Banned
Oct 29, 2018
Wasn't there a One Piece game made by ganbarion with the possibility to connect to a DBZ game also?

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
it is my favorite anime battle game easily, the "page system" to build you team and assists was very imaginative, and the cast was amazing.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I remember walking into a used CD/book store and seeing Jump Superstars sitting on a random shelf.

I snatched it up quick.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The only game I've ever imported. The koma system allowed for a great degree of flexibility and creativity even if I had no idea what anything did. But that was part of the fun!

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand how Bamco hasn't done a spiritual successor to this. They're pretty much Ganbarion's sole employer at this point, they have the Jump license plus they're the actual Smash dev team now.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Had so much fun on these games. Trial and errored my way through it and so happy. Crazy how it never blew up into more games.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
You'd think a Smash Bros clone using all those IPs would be a no brainer instead of the pile of shit that's Jump Force.
Makes you wonder if Bandai Namco are going out of their way to not do that since they're on contract with Nintendo with Smash Bros and they don't want to jeopardize their current business relationship. (though I truly wonder who Nintendo would partner with to make a game of the scale of Smash Bros)

Oct 25, 2017
Man, a modern day Jump Superstars/Ultimate Stars would be killer. Instead we get garbage like Jump Force.
Someone needs to get Ganbarion to stop making mediocre One Piece games and focus on a new JSS or something.

Wasn't there a One Piece game made by ganbarion with the possibility to connect to a DBZ game also?

No that was developed by ArcSys. One Piece Great Pirate Colosseum connected with DBZ Extreme Butoden. Unfortunately the game was only released in Japan so most of the world didn't get to experience it.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The JUMP brand is the only one capable of doing the thing Nintendo did with Smash Bros, and that's just using their own characters.

The jump games got progressively worse after leaving the DS, so I don't get how they didn't even try to get back to that idea.

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best one.
The creators also made a One Piece 3ds game that had lot of the fundation of Jump Ultimate Stars, but I never played it

They actually made two for the DS first, and the 2nd one is basically JUS with better balanced assists, but also, unfortunately, much stricter combo rules (which kills the fun) and 3D stages that tank the framerate. On the flipside, the smaller roster enabled much more detailed sprites:

One Piece: Gigant Battle! for DS - GameFAQs

For One Piece: Gigant Battle! on the DS, GameFAQs has 3 guides and walkthroughs, 24 cheat codes and secrets, 1 review, 2 save games, and 44 user screenshots.

One Piece: Gigant Battle 2 - Shinsekai for DS - GameFAQs

For One Piece: Gigant Battle 2 - Shinsekai on the DS, GameFAQs has 1 guide/walkthrough, 7 cheat codes and secrets, 1 save game, and 48 user screenshots.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
This was one of the first games I imported.
Same here lol I think I still have both around here somewhere. That Koma system was a stroke of genius. I actually remember contributing to a Koma Translation FAQ on GameFAQs back in the day. I was hugely into Hitman Reborn and D. Gray-man at the time so I could recognize a lot of the panels being used.

Last edited:

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know what happened to my copy of jump ultimate stars. I blame college, lost three games, got one returned four years later, stole one back 6 years later but never could get this one back

truly an amazing game that I had a ton of fun with, if the opportunity rose to repurchase I probably would