• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
One of the most brilliant things about the Venture Bros. was the slow turn on Jonas from the early seasons where he just seemed like an ultra brilliant if overbearing father and Rusty was a giant fuck up that just blamed his dad for all his issues... only for it to be revealed over time what a fucking monster Jonas was. Season 7 bringing the Jonas stuff to a head, pun intended, was just amazing stuff all around.

The Morpho Trilogy were three of the best episodes in the series. There was always a chance before that that Jonas didn't mean to be the way he was to Rusy. That he was just way too absorbed in his work. By the end of the Morpho Trilogy, you finally see him for what he is. Jonas was more evil than most of the super villains in the series.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
This response made me laugh out loud.

Thank you.
Happy to help.
Maybe it's Rusty. Unlike the other bad dads in this thread he gets his sons killed over and over and over again.
To be fair, most of those were their own faults. And we know the clones are actually them and not just duplicates because the literal Necromancer couldn't find their souls in the afterlife because Rusty's backups were their souls

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Points in Jonas' favor:
-Abandoned dozens of members of his son's fan club to die in a poisoned fall out shelter.
-Turned his best friend's corpse into a robot butler, also probably fathered that man's child.

-He once forgot about his son so long that the kidnappers that had taken him felt bad and let him go without a ransom.
-Held a swingers party with Rusty in the house.
-Refused to let his son see a real therapist, and instead became his son's own therapist and explained to him in detail why all of his problems were either wrong or his own fault.
-Dragged his young son around on dangerous adventures full of sex and murder.

-Left Entmann to die with said fan-club too.

and even after movie night, he was still such a bastard:
-Was probably responsible for the crash of Grangantua-1
-Tried to get his son to completely mind wipe the robot body of his best friend...this while guilt-tripping said best friend, AGAIN.

Oct 28, 2017
Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist. The "Sewing Life Alchemist", got his job by creating a talking Chimera, basically combining other creatures to create new life, usually an abomination. He's unable to do it again for multiple years and is about to lose his job until the 2 main characters stay with him for a time. Then 1 day he makes another while they're out..then Ed notices that his daughter and dog are missing, putting together that his wife "left" around the same time he made the first one.
Oh but it gets so much worse. The FIRST Chimera he created using his wife, only spoke once before starving itself to death by refusing to eat.

The only words it ever uttered were, "I want to die."
I was not ready for these spoilers...oh my.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
To be fair, most of those were their own faults. And we know the clones are actually them and not just duplicates because the literal Necromancer couldn't find their souls in the afterlife because Rusty's backups were their souls

They die because Rusty takes them on insane adventures they have no business being on (except for the monoxide leak in their rooms but that's also Rusty's fault IMO).

Also not so sure about how good Rusty's soul catcher is, one of Dean's aborted clones survives for a life of misery.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
latest

Clay Puppington from Moral Orel. There's too many things to list.
One of the most unsettling shows ever. Like, it wasn't even funny. It was just, a show about broken adults slowly sucking the positivity out of a naive boy. That fucking forest episode man.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The worst thing Rusty did to Hank and Dean was keep them so sheltered their whole lives. They had no idea how the real world worked or how to interact with other people.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
They die because Rusty takes them on insane adventures they have no business being on (except for the monoxide leak in their rooms but that's also Rusty's fault IMO).

Also not so sure about how good Rusty's soul catcher is, one of Dean's aborted clones survives for a life of misery.
Yeah, but Rusty's perspective on this shit is all kinds of fucked up because of the world he grew up in. It's not an uncommon parental practice in universe (and his childhood is likely one of the main reasons why that's the case, in fact). Jonas didn't have that excuse, was far more negligent than Rusty, and was particularly malicious even outside of the context of their "adventures". Shit, he didn't even have a Brock who was actually good at taking care of Rusty in a nurturing manner. Team Venture were all assholes.

Also, that time Hank jumped off the roof wasn't on Rusty either.

Dean's aborted clone doesn't have Dean's back up in it. None of the clones do until the boys die. For all intents and purposes he was a 3rd, separate Venture brother that really wanted to be Dean.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Points in Jonas' favor:
-Abandoned dozens of members of his son's fan club to die in a poisoned fall out shelter.
-Turned his best friend's corpse into a robot butler, also probably fathered that man's child.
-He once forgot about his son so long that the kidnappers that had taken him felt bad and let him go without a ransom.
-Held a swingers party with Rusty in the house.
-Refused to let his son see a real therapist, and instead became his son's own therapist and explained to him in detail why all of his problems were either wrong or his own fault.
-Dragged his young son around on dangerous adventures full of sex and murder.
Venture brothers is the best everyone.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yeah, but Rusty's perspective on this shit is all kinds of fucked up because of the world he grew up in. It's not an uncommon parental practice in universe (and his childhood is likely one of the main reasons why that's the case, in fact). Jonas didn't have that excuse, was far more negligent than Rusty, and was particularly malicious even outside of the context of their "adventures". Shit, he didn't even have a Brock who was actually good at taking care of Rusty in a nurturing manner. Team Venture were all assholes.

Also, that time Hank jumped off the roof wasn't on Rusty either.

Hank jumping on the roof and the running with scissors ones I'm prepared to say isn't Rusty's fault but they've died like a dozen times the balance sheet isn't good.

Dean's aborted clone doesn't have Dean's back up in it. None of the clones do until the boys die. For all intents and purposes he was a 3rd, separate Venture brother that really wanted to be Dean.

Oh man this does not make it better to me lol

Dermott really was the luckiest Venture Brother in that Rusty abandoned him.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
I mean he would have though... were it an option. Like he would have straight up sacrificed his son for himself to succeed.

Yeah, I thought about it a minute later and was like, "Wait, he absolutely would have done that shit if it meant seeing Yui", arguably the Human Instrumentality Project is a huge version of this.

What's funny to me is Shou Tucker would have to put in some serious work to even come close to Jonas. Like he'd have to turn his daughter back into a human and refuse her with the dog a couple dozen times over a decade while being a belligerent possessive uncaring monster to her while she's normal. Then get all his buddies to join in on the "fun" by doing things like making her murder people in cold blood.

It be like that? Damn...never saw Venture Bros. lol

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Hank jumping on the roof and the running with scissors ones I'm prepared to say isn't Rusty's fault but they've died like a dozen times the balance sheet isn't good.

I just rewatched their death montage. I would say that most of them weren't Rusty's fault directly. Most of their deaths came down to their own carelessness.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god, that's straight up horrific! Yeah that's a monstrous dad right there. Thanks for the info!
It should be noted that in Full Metal Alchemist, the practice of alchemy relies on the principle of "equivalent exchange". The force that allows alchemy to be possible demands that in order to get something, the user must give up something. This doesn't present a major issue when performing alchemy on non-living things. For example, the main character frequently changes the shape of rock in order to defend or attack. Another character concentrates flammable gases in the air so he can create fiery explosions. Performing alchemy on living things tends to get really weird though. Shou Tucker's initial experiments with chimera on his wife earned him great respect with the government. More than money, he desperately wanted that validation for his work. It can be argued that in order for it to work, he had to give up something of importance to him. His subsequent attempts were unsuccessful until he chose to give up his daughter.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
i didnt know there was anything even resembling an update but it turns out a few months ago the head of hbo max programming (i think) said they were working on it

great!
Yup, him saying anything to me read as "we are doing it, but won't say it till it's almost ready to stream"

A lot of the main people behind it have gone quiet on the #savetheventruebros too after the head of HBO used it and said the fans using it were great people.

HBO just likes these close to release announcements so it makes a bit of sense

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
Yup, him saying anything to me read as "we are doing it, but won't say it till it's almost ready to stream"

A lot of the main people behind it have gone quiet on the #savetheventruebros too after the head of HBO used it and said the fans using it were great people.

HBO just likes these close to release announcements so it makes a bit of sense
so now i only have to wait 2 years

making it about the same break between any other season

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Dermott really was the luckiest Venture Brother in that Rusty abandoned him.
This is, by far, was one of the wildest moments from the show I remember because it's not only one of the more normal ways in which Rusty screwed up someone else's life, but the fact that both Hank and Rusty slept with the same woman.

Even then Jonas is probably the worst father in all of human history. Yeah, you got fucked up gods killing their kids or w/e, but at the very least, they got to die instead of being tortured for years on end and then have everyone compare you to him and then expect you to live up to your father's legacy.

Nov 29, 2018
This is, by far, was one of the wildest moments from the show I remember because it's not only one of the more normal ways in which Rusty screwed up someone else's life, but the fact that both Hank and Rusty slept with the same woman.

Even then Jonas is probably the worst father in all of human history. Yeah, you got fucked up gods killing their kids or w/e, but at the very least, they got to die instead of being tortured for years on end and then have everyone compare you to him and then expect you to live up to your father's legacy.
Yeah, Jonas created a legacy so strong that his son is forever trapped in it long after his death. Rusty always being reminded that he will never live up to the monster who made his childhood hell.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gunna say Zeus, because I remember him being uniquely terrible.

What I'm getting from these anime answers is that the dads tend to be over the top awful, but in ways that aren't very nuanced or clever. It's like if someone wrote a story of, I don't know, a father figure kept torturing their son to death for eternity and bringing them back to life once they died to relive it.

It's not hard to just be over the top terrible and say "for eternity" as a stinger, so I assume there's like a billion such characters in short stories or whatever. At some point, it feels like it's less about them uniquely being a dad, and it moreso the case that they just happened to be related to them prior to eternity torture or whatever.
It's way harder to inflict the sort of mental damage Jonas did, since that's contingent on writing quality and a far longer arc.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
The primary difference between Rusty and Jonas as fathers is this:

Jonas thinks he's perfect while being maliciously cruel to everyone, especially his son.

Rusty knows he's a failure, knows he's always teetering this close to basically being a supervillain, and tries to be better than that. Fails miserably most of the time, but honestly tries. You can even see it in the way he treats the boys throughout the series, especially after their clones were all destroyed. The way he treats them steadily improves and becomes more and more actually fatherly as the series goes on.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
I forgot they are in the same universe. at least rusty isn't a drug addict in and out of rehab, poor action johnny quest

Rusty is a drug addict too he just didn't go to rehab lol. Wasn't that the whole thing about his "Diet pills"?

Maybe it's Rusty. Unlike the other bad dads in this thread he gets his sons killed over and over and over again.

Very late spoiler

Rusty is also a clone so he probably died a whole lot as well

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I just rewatched their death montage. I would say that most of them weren't Rusty's fault directly. Most of their deaths came down to their own carelessness.

Most of the stuff that kills them is Rusty's fault because he leaves stuff around the Venture Compound that you shouldn't have anywhere near children.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm gunna say Zeus, because I remember him being uniquely terrible.

What I'm getting from these anime answers is that the dads tend to be over the top awful, but in ways that aren't very nuanced or clever. It's like if someone wrote a story of, I don't know, a father figure kept torturing their son to death for eternity and bringing them back to life once they died to relive it.

It's not hard to just be over the top terrible and say "for eternity" as a stinger, so I assume there's like a billion such characters in short stories or whatever. At some point, it feels like it's less about them uniquely being a dad, and it moreso the case that they just happened to be related to them prior to eternity torture or whatever.
It's way harder to inflict the sort of mental damage Jonas did, since that's contingent on writing quality and a far longer arc.
That's why Clay is the G.O.A.T worst dad. He's by far the most realistic of the picks and is someone you might meet somewhere in the USA.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
16 is still a child, and that's the start of the series so they're potentially even younger in their previous deaths.

I mean a lot of places won't let you drive a forklight until you're 18 lol.
I don't know anyone above the age of 6 who doesn't know not to shoot a bow and arrow at someone/let someone shoot one at them. Or run that close to a jet engine. Or anyone above the age of 10 who doesn't know not to have fire next to flammable materials.

And you really can't blame the satellite on Rusty. That was an act of god.

I'll give you the rest, though.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
They're 16! (Actually 19 because their clone bodies are 3 years younger than them, but they don't know that)

That part was always confusing to me. The way I understood it the learning bed was their "soul" and would re-educate them to a point, but they're old memories being cycled in. So they were essentially reset with each revive and would mentally be the age of their bodies. So I thought they couldn't remember what happened in season one, which is why there's moments like Hank asking if Shelia is his mom even though they've previously met a lot of times.