• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Like the amount of absolute garbage he put Rusty through. Its absolutely mind boggling that Rusty can function in society at all.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Peter Griffin, asks god to do him a favour and wish his daughter out of existence, next episode he tries to marry his son.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
latest

Clay Puppington from Moral Orel. There's too many things to list.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Would the dad from Evangelion count? I remember him being pretty terrible. Jonas and the dad from Moral Orel are pretty great picks too.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I can agree with Clay coming out on top.

All these anime fathers are all about these big bold sci-fi experiments or singular moments of horrible behavior.

Clay? Jonas? They're just casually malicious.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jonas is worse than every example listed so far by leaps and bounds. He cloned his own son over and over after every death and continued to abuse him mentally, physically and even sexually. Jonas made an art out of being a horrible father.

StormBrute

Oct 26, 2017
Verona's dad, Brett, from Pale (the web serial novel) stands out to me for being one of the most unpleasant and uncomfortable to read fathers in any story.

He is just a self-obsessed, miserable pile of shit that takes it all out on his teenage daughter in ways that are awful but aren't fantastically over the top like a lot of media, but it makes it so much worse because it's grounded. The amount of sheer pathetic negativity and parentifying he places on his child while diminishing her in every way is absurd, and how he brings it to every scene he's in with Verona creates some of the most uncomfortable moments I've had in reading ever.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017

Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist. The "Sewing Life Alchemist", got his job by creating a talking Chimera, basically combining other creatures to create new life, usually an abomination. He's unable to do it again for multiple years and is about to lose his job until the 2 main characters stay with him for a time. Then 1 day he makes another while they're out..then Ed notices that his daughter and dog are missing, putting together that his wife "left" around the same time he made the first one.

Oct 29, 2018
Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist. The "Sewing Life Alchemist", got his job by creating a talking Chimera, basically combining other creatures to create new life, usually an abomination. He's unable to do it again for multiple years and is about to lose his job until the 2 main characters stay with him for a time. Then 1 day he makes another while they're out..then Ed notices that his daughter and dog are missing.
Oh my god, that's straight up horrific! Yeah that's a monstrous dad right there. Thanks for the info!

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Shou Tucker from Fullmetal Alchemist. The "Sewing Life Alchemist", got his job by creating a talking Chimera, basically combining other creatures to create new life, usually an abomination. He's unable to do it again for multiple years and is about to lose his job until the 2 main characters stay with him for a time. Then 1 day he makes another while they're out..then Ed notices that his daughter and dog are missing, putting together that his wife "left" around the same time he made the first one.
Oh but it gets so much worse. The FIRST Chimera he created using his wife, only spoke once before starving itself to death by refusing to eat.

The only words it ever uttered were, "I want to die."

Last edited:

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I wish people would at least post names of the characters they're posting an image of, if you're not going to say WHY they're a bad father.

Gendo Ikari from Evangelion is a good choice, he absolutely hates his son and sees him as little more than a tool to get his dead wife "back".

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Jonas Sr. Is probably one of the worst by far. Jonas is so fucking awful not just as a parent but as a human being that it made me actually have some level of empathy for Rusty even with all the shit he did to Hank and Dean over the years. Even some of the villians seem to be better at being parents and human beings than Jonas Sr....by far.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Points in Jonas' favor:
-Abandoned dozens of members of his son's fan club to die in a poisoned fall out shelter.
-Turned his best friend's corpse into a robot butler, also probably fathered that man's child.
-He once forgot about his son so long that the kidnappers that had taken him felt bad and let him go without a ransom.
-Held a swingers party with Rusty in the house.
-Refused to let his son see a real therapist, and instead became his son's own therapist and explained to him in detail why all of his problems were either wrong or his own fault.
-Dragged his young son around on dangerous adventures full of sex and murder.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
-He once forgot about his son so long that the kidnappers that had taken him felt bad and let him go without a ransom.
To add to this, after he remembered him after several weeks and the kidnappers gave him back (after throwing Rusty a week long party) Jonas still beat the fuck out of the people on that island.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not even Gendo went this far.

What's funny to me is Shou Tucker would have to put in some serious work to even come close to Jonas. Like he'd have to turn his daughter back into a human and refuse her with the dog a couple dozen times over a decade while being a belligerent possessive uncaring monster to her while she's normal. Then get all his buddies to join in on the "fun" by doing things like making her murder people in cold blood.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
To add to this, after he remembered him after several weeks and the kidnappers gave him back (after throwing Rusty a week long party) Jonas still beat the fuck out of the people on that island.

And Rusty had so much fun during that kidnapping/party that the experience is one of the only bright spots in his own childhood.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
-Abandoned dozens of members of his son's fan club to die in a poisoned fall out shelter.

Not only that, those kids survived down there for decades but all ended up messed up in the head as adults because the only guidance they had were some pre-recordings Jonas had left behind. They ended up worshipping Jonas as some kind of god because of it. Oh and he abandoned his friend down there too in a minaturized state...which he had to fight ants for 30 years to survive.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most brilliant things about the Venture Bros. was the slow turn on Jonas from the early seasons where he just seemed like an ultra brilliant if overbearing father and Rusty was a giant fuck up that just blamed his dad for all his issues... only for it to be revealed over time what a fucking monster Jonas was. Season 7 bringing the Jonas stuff to a head, pun intended, was just amazing stuff all around.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
There ara a lot of awful ones out there.

BJ's dad in Wolfestein TNC comes to mind.

The dude in Full metal Alchemist.

If you're including father figures, there's Gambino in Berserk.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
SPOILERS for Twin Peaks but if you've seen Fire Walk With Me you know who I mean.

Worse in that the situation is more realistic.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Maybe it's Rusty. Unlike the other bad dads in this thread he gets his sons killed over and over and over again.

Even Stannis and the guy from Full Metal Alchemist only doom their kids once.