• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Will echo those who have mentioned Brooker, Ianucci and Private Eye.

Also, while I wouldn't call him the greatest, there has been very little that has made me laugh as much as Michael Spicer's 'The Room Next Door' lately

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
He's my personal favorite, but I think it's hard to say "best." There are a lot of good ones.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, that was really good. I just wanted to check what it was and ended up watching the whole vid.
While I always agreed with Jon Stewart's message about how important it is for media to ask tough questions because they have access the average person does not, I also always felt he was a hypocrite that he'd just joke around with presidential candidates on his show under the guise of "I'm just a comedian!" Yeah, you're just a comedian, but your entire point is that it's an extra-ordinary responsibility when you get to talk to someone so important, because literally only a select handful of people on the entire planet ever get that chance and so many lives depend on it. I don't care if you're "just a comedian" 99% of the time, if you ever get a chance to seriously interview a real-deal presidential candidate of a major party, you drop the act and take it seriously. Because that's an opportunity, no lie, people would actually kill for. The seriousness of the moment supersedes your "comedy."

If you truly are "just a comedian," don't take up the limited time a presidential candidate has. Don't book super important guests if you want to be "just a comedian." Outright don't let them come on your show if they just want to shoot the shit to gain some political brownie points. You may think you're "just a comedian" but your word, and your show, has the spread to reach tens of millions of people. Important messages can still be transmitted even when you're "just a comedian."

That aside, seeing him bitch slap fucker carlson is awesome.

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
John Oliver perfected the daily show format (once a week, deep investigative segment instead of interview) and is the only late night show that actually holds up during quarantine with no audience, since it's sort of the only current one that was mostly relying on substance.

That said, the Stewart/Colbert years we're incredible, and had some outside the box satire like working together on the super PAC stuff that's really hard to beat

Oct 27, 2017
While I always agreed with Jon Stewart's message about how important it is for media to ask tough questions because they have access the average person does not, I also always felt he was a hypocrite that he'd just joke around with presidential candidates on his show under the guise of "I'm just a comedian!" Yeah, you're just a comedian, but your entire point is that it's an extra-ordinary responsibility when you get to talk to someone so important, because literally only a select handful of people on the entire planet ever get that chance and so many lives depend on it. I don't care if you're "just a comedian" 99% of the time, if you ever get a chance to seriously interview a real-deal presidential candidate of a major party, you drop the act and take it seriously. Because that's an opportunity, no lie, people would actually kill for. The seriousness of the moment supersedes your "comedy."

If you truly are "just a comedian," don't take up the limited time a presidential candidate has. Don't book super important guests if you want to be "just a comedian." Outright don't let them come on your show if they just want to shoot the shit to gain some political brownie points. You may think you're "just a comedian" but your word, and your show, has the spread to reach tens of millions of people. Important messages can still be transmitted even when you're "just a comedian."

That aside, seeing him bitch slap fucker carlson is awesome.

I think you meant to quote the person below me haha

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
Peak Colbert when he was polling above actual politicians in the Republican primary, and before Congresspeople had figured out not to go on his show.

Currently, I think Patriot Act with Hassan Minhaj is my favorite. Doesn't rely on Trump too much, well researched and informative, and has a good balance between humor and sincerity.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This is a hard thing to think about for me because I don't really have a lot of desire for political satire in the age of Trump. Like the awfulness and absurdity is so out there and on display that political satire feels like it's just stating the obvious at this point with less enlightenment than ever. Under previous administrations, it seemed like there was a lot of bullshit flying under the radar and political satirists felt more informative. So it seems hard to top people like George Carlin or Jon Stewart with any of the current crop of satirists in my mind.

I dunno maybe I'm just worn out.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy Patriot Act a lot more than his show tbh

I think John Stewart was better than Oliver...got to see him live too.

pxleyes

Oct 25, 2017
Really depends on how you define "our time." Stretching the last 25 years, I'd give the nod to Jon Stewart. Colbert would be a close second with Oliver vying for that spot right now. Of the last 10 years though? Oliver. It's somewhat of a sliding scale based on where you define the time limits.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
6562174-8046460516-bJJNG.jpg

Followed by Colbert Report.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, patriot act has funnier writing.

"But little did they know, I was actually a spy for... Qatar"
I also feel, him being a minority also helps and diversifies the thematic range of jokes and stories.
Trevor Noah being the only other prominent non white dude doing this kind of show, but Daily Show hasn't been what it was during Stewart days in terms of writing.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I love Jon Oliver and think his show is the most informative and, importantly, useful.

But Stewart and Colbert from like 2006-2013 is untouchable. Especially Colbert.

The whole 2012 election season where Colbert made an actual SuperPAC, then handed control over to Jon Stewart so he could actually run for president in South Carolina was like, one of the best bits of American political satire ever, imo. He struck a perfect balance of informative and hilarious while highlighting the absurdity of campaign finance laws.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he excels in subject matter and information, but his formula is getting stale in terms of comedy.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I also feel, him being a minority also helps and diversifies the thematic range of jokes and stories.

Yeah, I think Piker's been very good at not pulling punches on stuff that the liberal consensus has either tried to memory hole or sanctify, like the Obama-era drone program. Admittedly I've seen less of his show because I have had less time and interest for these programs in general. I usually watch the Some More News because it's shorter, right there on youtube, and fairly closely aligned with my specific brand of sarcasm.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. At best he's one level of runoff collected of Jon Stewart's legacy after an extensive fractional distillation process.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Oliver is very funny and has a great research team, but as far as satire goes, Stewart and Colbert are the kings.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Steward for me. And of course I mean him and his staff at the daily show.

They built a story out of the news and theme they were addressing. It was always different and insightful.

Oliver is very good too, but its more of a formulaic structure that rarely changes.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
I like Oliver but I prefer Hassan Minhaj's show significantly more. The jokes imo are better and the content is equally as diverse in topics as what Oliver does.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The info and research with John Oliver is great. But the formula is wearing thin for me. "State important facts. Insert random non connective joke to illustrate the absurdity. Yell at camera or imaginary figure. Repeat."

I still watch and enjoy the show but I ain't laughing.
Yeah its a good quick information piece about some fucked up shit in our society but its not funny.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
The Colbert Report is far and away the best that I've ever seen, but John Oliver would be my second choice due to the research, breadth of topics, and satirical projects he does. Honestly while still good, Jon Stewart would be a distant 3rd. He was the least funny and not as informative.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
John Oliver's long form reporting is some of the best reporting on television bar none.

The end results is a double stuffed Oreo of comedy and news.

Its a model the Daily Show under John Stewart occasionally explored, but being weekly allows John Oliver to really excel.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
No he's not. From the US I'd go with Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert. I think I'll give the edge to Colbert when he still used to be in character. I think I would watch John Oliver more than I do, if they didn't try so damn hard to be funny all the time.

Last edited:

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
The show's deep dives always impress me, but his work on The Bugle was 100% funnier. "Fuck you-logy" is lightning in a bottle.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
nah its stewart or colbert.

john olivers show does great research, but they should hire some comedy writers. tuned out a few years ago.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
He has this way of talking and a voice and face that I find off-putting, I call it Bill Maher syndrome

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
He's best when he's not trying to be funny, so that doesn't do him any favours as a satirist.

Go watch some Chris Morris instead.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
His work is a bit too old to call current but Chris Morris is probably the best living satirist. Brass Eye, the Day Today and Four Lions are still biting and hilarious

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think on the subject of information, he's the best of the bunch.

Even The Daily Slow fucked around a lot and threw mostly softballs at important people.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
He's definitely my favorite. I don't disagree with those saying he's formulaic, but I definitely disagree that people think that makes it inherently bad, because that's just silly.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd enjoy his research and presentation if they took out the jokes. His demeanor is entertaining enough without stopping for cringe humor.