• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Cena on the level as Hogan, Rock, Austin and Flair

• He's above all of them

Votes: 65 8.2%
  • He's on their level

Votes: 266 33.4%
  • He's above some of them but he isn't bigger than X

Votes: 176 22.1%
  • He isn't on their level

Votes: 289 36.3%

• Total voters

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Pop culture wise I think Cena is higher than Flair, lower than Rock and Hogan, probably equivalent to Austin. Austin had a pretty short (but impactful) run as "the guy" and didn't do too much big after that, he's been mostly out of mainstream relevancy for like 18 years.

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
Some would say Cena caused the downfall of WWE with his constant job refusal. That means he can never be up there with the greats.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone in the 80's knew who Hulk Hogan was. Everyone from my parents, grandparents, teachers, coaches, friends.
I'm fairly up on pop culture and so forth, and I wouldn't be able to pick John Cena out of a lineup of 5 muscular white guys.

I'm gonna guess you think you know more about pop culture than you do. Cena's not only in movies, but he's an internet meme that's fairly well-known.

Cena's above everyone but the Rock and Austin. He'd surpass Austin if not for the fact that the product didn't grow under him, he just kept it from declining.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Some would say Cena caused the downfall of WWE with his constant job refusal. That means he can never be up there with the greats.

Cena been mostly gone and the product and ratings are even worse, so it's hard to pin that on him. The downfall was inevitable because the people running the show are out of touch and incompetent.

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
Cena been mostly gone and the product and ratings are even worse, so it's hard to pin that on him. The downfall was inevitable because the people running the show are out of touch and incompetent.
Well the ratings were on the way down when he was on top. It's only cratered since he stopped but that's down to not having a top draw talent built up which is definitely creatives fault.

Personally I think he is a great worker and amazing on the mic (now) but he didn't make me go out of the way to watch the product. Is that his fault or the booking? He did keep talent down (which the other people have done in this list) so some blame has to be laid at his feet. The infamous nexus incident particularly comes to mind.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
Maybe if someone saw him in his 'John Cena costume' they would recognize him as that wrestler guy, but as just a dude in normal clothes he probably isn't recognizable to the vast majority of people.

Funny you mention this, about 6 years ago he was on my flight to San Diego from San Francisco. I sat across from him in the terminal for maybe 20 minutes before I recognized him but as far I could tell nobody else placed him. He was with an older lady who I didn't recognize until later when I googled Linda McMahon on a whim and discovered it was her.

Anyway, about 15 minutes before we boarded a group of Japanese women recognized him and rather rudely started taking selfies with him without asking. He noticed I was looking at them and gave me that "I want to go hide in a dark place" look to which I simply shrugged at him. He rolled with it because he's a pro, but I felt for the man. They quickly left and nobody bothered him after that or on the flight.

I know who Cena is because he's a big star in wrestling despite me not following since the early 90's, but I might not be typical. Cena was just a regular guy in a suit for the most part.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Non-American here who knows nothing about Wrestling. Even I know Cena, The Rock and Hogan and I have no idea who Austin or Flair are.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
John Cena is not part of that conversation IMO.

For starters, Austin and Hogan were the key contributors to a huge wrestling boom periods. The impact they had on the business of the WWE is substantially larger than anything that happened with WWE under John Cena. From ticket sales, to PPV buyrates to merch sales - they were all much bigger under Austin than Cena. The only thing Cena has on either of them is longevity.

Then you have The Rock. He never was as consistently popular as Hogan or Austin in wrestling, but he peaked very high and obviously he's maybe the biggest crossover movie star (not just from wrestling) in the history of Hollywood. He is a common denominator in the highest PPV buyrates and the highest TV ratings any pro wrestling will ever do.

Cena, in my mind, is of Bret Hart level of success inside the business. By that I mean he pushes a lot of merch and was pretty over with at least a portion of the audience while it was dwindling or hanging on from a previous era. He has had some real crossover success in recent years, but it doesn't correlate to his popularity in wrestling. As he stars in Transformers and Fast and the Furious, his drawing power and popularity in wrestling haven't been this low since his second year in the WWE.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
He's above Triple H for sure, probably on par with Hogan.

Still below Rock and Austin in their primes, but Cena had a pretty long longevity.

Gaiaknight

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't Lesnars name up here?
Brock lesnar is a once in a lifetime athlete and there has never been anyone else in wrestling like brock lesnar but his drawing power was outside of wwe he made his name in ufc. Though there is an argument to be made for lesnar being one of the best wrestlers ever in the ring

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of hardcore fans don't want to admit it but John Cena is probably the second most significant wrestler outside of Andre the Giant that has existed within the lifetimes of most current living wrestling fans.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah he's probably as close as you can get without actually being there. I like the guy but he was a joke through a lot of his run people like rock, Austin, and especially Flair were always given real credence where as people like Hogan and Cena were propped up by Vince to be that guy. And fuck Hogan for real he shouldn't be in contention for being the top of anything.

FuddyDuddy

Nov 4, 2019
Pop culture wise I would say that The Rock and John Cena have it won. Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin haven't been relevant in decades. Ric Flair isn't even in the conversation. The last big match in wrestling history was unquestionably Rock vs Cena. Nothing comes close to it in viewers. And while viewers did start to leave during Cena's time on top that isn't his fault at all. Ratings were going down since WCW went under and only went up once. That was when Cena and Batista won the belts for the first time. They started to lose viewers hard after the PG Era started and never recovered. John Cena was literally the last superstar wrestling will ever have.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
do you realize how many championships john cena has won?
Does this metric actually matter in this kind of discussion? Im genuinely asking. Its a scripted show, does the belt count really matter when we can more objectively look at the amount of attention and mainstream success names like The Rock, Stone Cold and Hulk brought to the business as a whole? Those guys were damn near mascots for wrestling at points in their careers. I don't know how many belts they 'won' but I wonder why that would matter versus something like literally naming a new Wrestling program "Smackdown" because The Rock and his soundbites were sooooo damned popular.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Does this metric actually matter in this kind of discussion? Im genuinely asking. Its a scripted show, does the belt count really matter when we can more objectively look at the amount of attention and mainstream success names like The Rock, Stone Cold and Hulk brought to the business as a whole? Those guys were damn near mascots for wrestling at points in their careers. I don't know how many belts they 'won' but I wonder why that would matter versus something like literally naming a new Wrestling program "Smackdown" because The Rock and his soundbites were sooooo damned popular.

it's definitely indicative of a level of success even if it's not won in a straight up competition. That said, Cena benefited from an era where the title changed hands multiple times because booking philosophies were different. Hogan could have easily been like a 10X champ during his reign on top in the mid/late 80s to early 90s if they had booked him that way.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
In current popular culture, he's bigger than Flair and I would argue Austin (especially for people who didn't watch the 90s wrestling boom). But he's not as well-known as Hogan, who is basically what people default to when they think of "professional wrestler" or The Rock, whose movie career has overshadowed his wrestling career at this point.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I think he's Brett Hart/Ultimate Warrior/Sting/Dustin Rhodes/Macho Man level of important to the business.

The guy for a very long time but not the impact of those top stars. I'm not sure nature boy is Austin/Hogan/Rock levels either.

Oh, but Taker is absolutely on the level of those guys

Certainly above the HHH/Mankind level performer.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
For me hogan and cena are very nearly the same mold. As are Austin and rock. With flair on top of them all. It's incredibly close. Cena is a fantastic pro wrestler, despite that I personally don't much enjoy watching him in the ring. I also don't much like watching hogan.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if he's bigger but I definitely like him more. The dude is a Make-a-Wish legend and he learned Mandarin for the challenge.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. Cena was good but way overpushed. He also became the face of wrestling shortly after the sport peaked and began its downward spiral into this current drastic fade in relevance. I think he's appreciated more now that his career has winded down (rightly so), but in his day, probably most of the hardcore audience couldn't stand him because of the way he was forced down our throats.

Hogan is the goat. He was larger than life at a time when superstardom was something a bit more than it is today. He's without a doubt the best babyface WWF ever had, then flipped it and became one of the best heel characters of all time, leading the greatest stable ever.

Austin was the fucking man for a few years. Cena could never reach that peak.

The Rock is about as big as Austin was in the ring, but on top of that, probably the most successful wrestler of all time outside the ring.

Ric Flair is basically the god of wrestling.

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
The Rock has the most mainstream appeal. The Rock has transcended wrestling and is now an international Hollywood action film icon. Cena is nowhere near the Rock's level. However, with Bumblebee and a few other critical hits, he's now the best of the rest. I've never seen Rick Flair at his prime, so I can't judge him as a wrestling icon. But I don't think I'm wrong to say that Cena is probably more known outside of wrestling than Flair is.

So Cena getting more popular in his acting career should draw more eyes to his wrestling career. Plus the stuff he does for charity is unmatched.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
If you seriously have Cena above Hogan, you were not alive in the 80's and/or know nothing about wrestling history.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Absolutely not. In terms of a draw he isn't remotely close to Austin/Rock/Hogan, and his body of work isn't comparable to Flair. If they were booking all these guys to come out on the next RAW Cena would be thrown out there first and Austin would get the biggest pop and go last.

A lot of hardcore fans don't want to admit it but John Cena is probably the second most significant wrestler outside of Andre the Giant that has existed within the lifetimes of most current living wrestling fans.
lol

Oct 28, 2017
For years I tried to convince myself that Cena sucked and that he is nowhere near as big as the other top names in wrestling history.

I was an insecure little twat that couldn't handle Cena's popularity. I wanted to believe my childhood heroes were bigger and better. It took many years, but eventually I was able to admit it. John Cena is a fantastic performer who had great longevity and more great matches than any of the other favourites. He was ridiculously popular and rightly so. The man proved all the doubters wrong. The man who can't wrestle ended up having more great wrestling matches than your favourite wrestler.

Now, if you wanna talk popularity outside of wrestling, Rock is obviously biggest for his Hollywood success but Cena is still very big and instantly recognisable.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Maybe if someone saw him in his 'John Cena costume' they would recognize him as that wrestler guy, but as just a dude in normal clothes he probably isn't recognizable to the vast majority of people.

john-cena_ct.png
hi-res-b5162b374f33e77e59e59b3f07dceb88_crop_north.jpg
I have barely watched wrestling, but John Cena also seems like a normal person who is not an asshole like most of the other wrestling celebrities of times before. I could bve wrong of course.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
This is beginning to sound like the career vs peak/prime debate regarding players in other sports.

If so, i would say Cena and 'Taker has the better wrestling 'career' but no way are they going to touch Rock and Austin in terms of 'wrestling' impact. Hogan, Flair and Andre though both have excellent career and prime arguments.

Pop-culture-wise though, i would say Rock and Hogan is on top with Cena and Andre on the next level below. Flair, Batista and Austin on the third level and then there is a big gulf separating 'Taker, HHH, Shawn, Bret etc.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. But then again cena is one of the reasons why i stopped watching, so not sure what became of his tacky shtick.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I'd say he's at their level for different reasons.

Flair is primarily known because of his life of being in the wrestling business. He was a transcendental personality because his numerous legendary matches and promo work managed to capture the imaginations of even surface-level fans of wrestling at its peak in the 80's and early 90's.

Hogan, Austin, and Rock were the first to really cross-over and be all-around pop culture stars, with Rock being obviously the most successful of the three. Hogan's ability to reinvent himself in the 90's as the bad guy in the NWO was inspired at the time and while it ultimately in some respects helped lead to the downfall of WCW, his impact was such that you couldn't talk about pop culture in those years without bringing up Hogan and his effect on pop culture. Austin got to that level more similarly to Flair, with some minor cross-promotion between his television shows, podcast, and movie appearances.

Cena to his credit helped build up a lot of his cred through his work with Make-A-Wish. As much as myself and others despised the guy for being essentially being too much of a babyface (seemingly always coming out on top in the end, always being one-step ahead, burying competition so hard that they could never recover in some cases) his appeal to children during his full-time run in WWE was unmistakable. Post-full-time WWE, he's been an advocate for a lot of good causes and has transitioned nice to several roles in Hollywood, commercials, and the like. He's super marketable and generally seems like a nice, handsome, impossibly jacked dude.

You could likely make the argument that Rock is far above any of the guys mentioned, but generally speaking as people who have had a great effect on pop culture, Cena's place I don't think can be denied at this point, and he's no where near done.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Not at all. He's a clown and has always been a clown. Hollywood trying to make him some sort of dashing handsome man ado is mind boggling. Dude isn't that good looking.