• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not one to rag on popular stuff- whatever floats your boat and all of that. I'm in my mid 30's, and somehow I've never come across this Jenna Marbles on Youtube. I saw she had almost 20M subscribers, so I watched a few videos.

Is this supposed to be funny? Really trying hard not to come across as a crotchety old man here, but I just don't get it. Are there specific videos of hers that I need to watch or something?

I remember it took a few videos of H3H3 for me to "get it" and be like, yeah this is funny as hell. However I'm struggling to find anything appealing about Jenna Marbles channel. Maybe I'm just getting old and can't relate to the humor?

What does everyone think of her?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one to rag on popular stuff- whatever floats your boat and all of that. I'm in my mid 30's, and somehow I've never come across this Jenna Marbles on Youtube. I saw she had almost 20M subscribers, so I watched a few videos.

Is this supposed to be funny? Really trying hard not to come across as a crotchety old man here, but I just don't get it. Are there specific videos of hers that I need to watch or something?

I remember it took a few videos of H3H3 for me to "get it" and be like, yeah this is funny as hell. However I'm struggling to find anything appealing about Jenna Marbles channel. Maybe I'm just getting old and can't relate to the humor?

What does everyone think of her?
No, why are you trying to force this?

For many YouTube channels it's as simple as "I don't get it", "this isn't for me", or "this is terrible".

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
As a mid-30s white male myself I know I am not her audience.

But as a mid-30s white male it's sometimes hard to think of something not made for me so I get your issue here.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know dude you kind of defeat your own point in the first sentence. It's not for you, the stuff on like, the Disney Channel probably isn't for you either but that's kind of presumed, isn't it?

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
You know what I don't get? That guy with the pink body suit or something that people find funny because of disgusting and uncomprehensible hijinks

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
She had a couple really popular videos about 8 years ago. Those got a few sensible chuckles out of me. I'm surprised that she is still around on YouTube.

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still remember an old video of her about adulting. That one was actually pretty funny and relatable at the time. You should try that's one out. I haven't seen any of her newer stuff, I just hear her do a top countdown on Sirius XM radio.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
There's a trend I've noticed of "Old person doesn't want to admit they're old, tries to get into young people stuff, and when it occasionally doesn't work blames the young-people-stuff for being bad in the first place"

Shrubchicken

User Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Western Michigan
Yeah I dunno, I've come across her in the past. I don't see anything wrong with her material I guess but I'm not her intended audience either.

But a lot of popular things really aren't up my avenue so nothing new.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think she's been at it for over a decade now. Makes sense that she has that many subscribers. She was one of the first big YouTubers iirc.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Damn 18M subs. She's putting that work.

OP, can't you accept that you won't like everything that is popular? Just a thought lol.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I generally stick to personal development-type teaching videos on YouTube, OP. Diet and exercise stuff like Athlean-X, internet business stuff, and movie reviews like Double Toasted. The young kid stuff just isn't for us.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah shes supposed to be funny, but you just don't find her funny and that's perfectly normal as people have preferences. : )

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
To her target audience, yes (not to me). Also mirroring the sentiment that she's been doing this shit for too long, and I'd be shocked personally if the quality of the vids didn't sink in that much time (just like tv series seasons for long-running shows, mostly).

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
There's a trend I've noticed of "Old person doesn't want to admit they're old, tries to get into young people stuff, and when it occasionally doesn't work blames the young-people-stuff for being bad in the first place"
More like 'thing wasn't made for my specific demographic, I want to create a scene about how I can't understand why it exists or how anybody could possibly enjoy it while in denial of the simple notion of "It's not for me."'
Covers more than just age.

Oct 28, 2017
I watched a video a few weeks back and I don't even remember what her and her friend/boyfriend were doing but they were thoroughly unfunny. Now I have so many Jenna marbles pop up on my YouTube.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Stopped watching her sometime ago.
Her old videos were pretty good.
What men/women do in the bathroom, or what to pack when going on a trip. But those videos are from like 2012.

Edit:

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
her and her boyfriend have a million in-jokes and mannerisms because she's been on the internet so long, her subs tune in just to see her do stuff

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I watched a video a few weeks back and I don't even remember what her and her friend/boyfriend were doing but they were thoroughly unfunny. Now I have so many Jenna marbles pop up on my YouTube.

Delete them from your youtube history.

I have to do this every time I watch something about Star Wars to keep from being buried by videos still crying about The Last Jedi a year later.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't call it a trend, more that every generation does this. They hate the thing that came before and praise the thing that they grew up with. My mom hates most music that's about sex and drugs unless it's the music about sex and drugs from her generation. Even I start to feel it when I think about how much I don't like mumble rap, and that's about at the edge of my generation.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't find most of her stuff funny but I liked the earlier stuff and some of her more recent stuff is also funny in an absurd kind of way.

You can search your history. Just put jennamarbles into the search bar.

Wow, I never noticed that search history bar before. The bar is nearly invisible but I should have seen the text. Thank you for helping an old man setup his YouTube account, deary.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I cover this sentiment in my first sentence.
I read it. But it just comes off as, "why do people like something I don't like"

It is because it is on YT?

I'm sure there are many conventional popular things that you don't like in film or TV, but it doesn't perplex you.

YT is free. It's super low commitment. There's gonna be tons of stuff that may be divisive but gets tons of views.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Just pulled up this video randomly and watched a bit. Can't hate on it. She has this sort of subdued, weird/awkard vibe that makes it kinda quirky and calming. In a way, she kind of reminds me of a subdued Kristen Wiig.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Check out "How to trick people into thinking you are good looking". It's what made her go big in the first place, and its pretty heavy on the satire. I haven't watched her stuff since then, but a lot of her content was just the same video recycled over and over making fun of how girls do some things.

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I haven't seen anything of hers since her early days but I always appreciated that she could laugh at herself and just seemed likable and funny. I dont think she was hilarious but she had a good sense of humor.

Oct 28, 2017
I just googled her and she reportedly earns 4 million from her channel and other ad deals. I wonder if she puts any real planning into her videos or if she just films herself on the fly. I think I'd have retired by now if I had a channel like that. Run my contracts with whoever I made them with, collect my cash and go live off my measly millions in a swanky house.

Oct 28, 2017
It's not for us, OP. More power to her for finding a niche and an audience though. I respect anyone who can pull of that feat.