• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I apologize if this topic has been brought up recently in another thread...but I picked up The Division two days ago on Steam for under $20...after never really having the desire to play the game because it didn't really have fantastical enemies...which I prefer in my shooters.

Well...sitting here stuck in self isolation for who knows how long... I'm playing through the Division and I'm enjoying it. Is it kinda morbid? I mean, I actually started looking up articles to see if people would think the title hits too close to home right now.

I found this article.

The game does in fact touch on a subject that's probably off putting to quite a few people...

This is simply a thought that popped in my head. This time last month I wouldn't have even bothered buying the title. Now, for some weird reason I'm ok spending the $$ just to walk through the streets of NY. Hell, who knows when I'll have the opportunity to do it for real.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Um.... not really.

Yes, the setting is a post-pandemic U.S. But at the end of the day, its a looter shooter and there are players who love to grind shit.

Personally, I prefer to make my own judgement on what to play rather than having an article tell me what not to play

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
No. Ofcourse not.

Its only an issue if you see the Divisions "kill anyone that moves" solution to the pandemic as the right course of action.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
Personally, I don't see a problem. The game isn't glorifying the suffering of the people at all. Hell, I watched Contagion yesterday just to see how much of it would be similar to our current situation.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played Plague Inc the other day, though it was less to play and more to see how accurately it might predict that the next couple months were gonna look. We will fair better since the olympics didnt get postponed in that universe and it fucked them big time. I had heard that some had used it for research before. I think your results vary

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is petty enough to give you shit over it they are the ones in the wrong.

And if you yourself are feeling guilty about it, it would do you some good to dial back your life's giving a shit levels a bit.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's going to be absolutely no one that will get offended cause you started playing The Division OP.

Last edited:

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, here we go again
I dont understand how people can still see the game as "Right Wing Wet Dream Scenario" about a no strings attached organization being a solution to the pandemic, since the first fucking thing that happened with the Division was "Hey they all died, failed or gone fucking rogue, it didnt work!"

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Oh boy, here we go again

It was a joke mark.

I dont understand how people can still see the game as "Right Wing Wet Dream Scenario" about a no strings attached organization being a solution to the pandemic, since the first fucking thing that happened with the Division was "Hey they all died, failed or gone fucking rogue, it didnt work!"

More just going about shooting people than anything else. I don't know what the games story is.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

Especially when you consider there's a PMC that's funded by secret government officials and the fucking POTUS (Whom the Division answer to technically) went to their side

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
These threads about playing apocalyptic games during this pandemic ...Like calm down its a game! You playing it isn't some moral conundrum; I'm playing RE2 and having a fun time with no regrets and might pickup RE3 next week.

Oct 31, 2017
Whenever there is a war going on I refrain from any kind of movies, games, tv shows, books, or comics that relate to war/the use of firearms/explosives etc.
Wait...

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I played Plague Inc the other day, though it was less to play and more to see how accurately it might predict that the next couple months were gonna look.

This thread title made me think of Plague, Inc. so I navigated to the Steam page to see what they were up to.

It's always been a wildly popular game but I was pleasantly surprised to see how they were adjusting to real-world events.

store.steampowered.com

Plague Inc: Evolved - Plague Inc. Gives a Quarter of a Million Dollars to Fight COVID-19 - Steam News

Since the novel coronavirus outbreak was first detected we have been working very hard to support global response efforts to the crisis and keep Plague Inc. players informed.

Looks like they raised $250,000 for Covid research and are fast-tracking a new game mode that tasks the player with finding a cure for global pandemic.

Amazing.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah man, it's wrong.

You should wait until the next gen consoles are out and the game finally looks like the Division's first trailer

Awesome Wells

Dec 3, 2017
I must confess, I felt a bit uncomfortable playing through the
Athens plague mission
in AC Odyssey last night.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you're hurting anyone when you play it, especially when you're aware of issues with the game.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not wrong. At most, all these types of articles -- including the Kotaku one it is straight up copying -- are saying is that it may make certain people uncomfortable. Which is valid, but doesn't mean that it's wrong to play them.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Nope

I've finally beaten The Last Of Us and Spider-Man since being in self isolation lockdown and both deal with virus infections spreading so to speak

They're just video games after all šŸ˜Š

play The Division and enjoy it

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Of course not. That's silly.

And it's not like this current pandemic in real life is going to lead us to some Division-esque world. We'll get through it.