• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
I was considering purchasing a 2DS XL (or New 3DS XL) for portable gaming in addition to playing games that aren't available on the Switch (Mario & Luigi Saga, Persona/SMT Games, Bravely Default, original Luigi's Mansion, etc).

Out of those who own both, is it worth the purchase? And if so, which device from the 3DS Family is worth getting? And what other games would you recommend?

EDIT: I don't care for the 3D effect. But at the same time is there a difference in processing power between N3DSXL or 2DSXL? And I need some game recommendations. Looking to explore various genres I may not have mentioned.

Last edited:

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
Definitely worth it. Some great games. I would say the 3DS is a better choice but i'm one of the few who like the 3D effect :P

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yes it is worth it. Either the N3DS or N2DS XL works fine. You just have to consider whether or not you enjoy 3D

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it's worth it, but only if you're not going to find it hard to go back to those games. What I mean is, it's easy for me to go back to something like the GBA or even Game Boy games because part of what gives them their charm is their visual style. 3DS games have the same visual style as Switch games, they just look a LOT shittier. It's not like enjoying some retro goodness, it's being able to overlook horrible resolution and visuals for some pretty damn great games.

Athreous

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Yeah, it is!
There are a ton of great games that weren't ported to switch, so it's always nice to have more options!

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Definitely, especially if you're happy to load CFW - it's a remarkably capable little box and much more portable than switch

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
The New 2DSXL is more common this days, but you lose 3D so that depends.

Still, there are plenty of exclusives and great games overall.

As a reminder, remember that is a 240p or so resolution. Just to avoid the upcoming "Ugh, I can't stand the low resolution, fuck Nintendo" thread. :p

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Completely. Not only you get the 3DS library, but also DS. And the VC that the Switch lacks.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Easily. There's a ton of great stuff on the 3DS that is unlikely to ever make it to the Switch's shores. If you've never owned a DS either, it's absolutely a must-buy. The combo of the two system's libraries is one of the GOATs.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Yes, there are games that are worth it even on the smaller screen. You can also buy digital, and play the backups on the PC - you need a real 3DS for that btw

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Yes, 3DS has lots of good Nintendo games and JRPGs that won't be ported to the Switch or other platforms. Buy it.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Totally. So many amazing games, superior portability, and sadly it looks like BC is never coming to Switch.

Get the New 2DS XL, it's an incredible device.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say so. The 3DS family has a LOT of great exclusives, and many of those are really fun to play. It's also more portable and has the same (or better depending on the situation) battery life so playing while out and about, or even in different rooms, is IMO easier and more comfortable than on the Switch. I have an original 2DS model and that's a really comfortable handheld - plus despite being kind of wide and not folding it fits in my favorite pair of pants whereas with the Switch I'd have to put it in a case and/or a bag. It also has Virtual Console so you can play quite a few older games if that's your thing, and DS compatibility (which opens the door to a LOT of other titles), and the Activity tracker is a nice feature that tracks your playtime down to the minute - that should be a standard feature on every console IMO.

If you can put up with the lower resolution and graphical quality of the games you'll find a lot of really really good ones. I'm not sure what genres you play but Bravely Default was a really fun one - one of my favorites I played last year (the sequel is quite good too) and there are others like Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, Stella Glow, Fantasy Life, the Ace Attorney trilogy, and Dragon Quest VII. Oh and the Fire Emblem games.

The last thing I'd say is a personal anecdote but I got the 2DS last year after owning a PS3 and a PC and it changed my perspective on play to the point where now I prefer playing on portables if I have the option. I'm fortunate enough to have a Switch now but I still use the 2DS far more often because of the above points. IMO it's still a very potent and worthwhile console and if you haven't had one before (especially if you've never played many Nintendo games) then it has a lot to offer.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. There are tons of amazing games on the system that haven't and very likely won't ever be ported to the Switch. I personally would recommend the New 3DS XL if you can find on. The 3D effect on a LOT of games is worth checking out.I also think the form factor is better as well. You can't go wrong with a 2DS XL but I would say go for the 3D if you can see it and you want to better protect the screen.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
MonHun4
Yokai Watch 2, 3 and Busters
Mario 3D Land
LBX
Hatsune miku
Persona Q, Q2
SMT 4 and Strange journey
Layton games
Ace Attorney games
Stellw Glow
Lord of Magna
RUNE FACTORY 4
Dragon Guest

and that's only the surface.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I´d recommend a New 3DS XL. Compared to the Switch it has a completely different library (many games are cheap now) and a very cool 3D effect. And you can also play the entire DS library on it too.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
3DS has a great library. I actually played two games on it in 2018 and didn't find it that hard to move back to from the Switch. I somehow broke the control slider on mine playing Dragon Quest VIII though... not sure how it happened.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Lots of great 3DS games. Please buy Samus Returns. And buy the n3DS (regular size) if you can. It's the best.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I never understand a question like this. Maybe I have a different perspective because I'm as old as the hills, but very little about the Switch renders the 3DS library obsolete.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
If you know which games you want, I think so.
There's still a lot of gems there, especially on the JRPG side (best platform that gen for the genre imo).

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I think the library is varied and different enough that it's worth it. For example, games like Zelda: Link Between Worlds and Metroid: Samus Returns are great entries in their respective franchises. One of the real standouts is Sega's 3D Classics. Lots of great classic Sega games (Sonic, Shinobi 3, Streets of Rage/2, and so on) well emulated and with a fantastic 3D presentation that works surprisingly well (if you go with the 3DS over the 2DS). Of course, it also opens up the whole DS library to you, too. I'd personally go with the New 3DS XL, then you won't be giving up any features.

Oct 27, 2017
3DS has more high quality games that I prefer to play, so for me the answer is an easy yes. And on top of that it plays DS games.

JPS

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't care about the age of games and have no problems playing good games from previous years N3DSXL is a great system. If you prefer the hype train and disrespect older games don't buy it.

3D on N3DS(XL) works great in many games, so I would recommend to get that system.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
With DS back compat, it has one of, if not the best libraries of all time.

Of course it's still worth it. And it's dirt cheap. Great system.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I don't play mine, and I'm ready to jump ship to Switch when the system starts getting games from Atlus and more exclusives in general.

If you have free time, there's a lot of great JRPGs and eShop exclusives you can play on 3DS. So it can be worthwhile for that.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. Go for the regular sized New 3DS. That way you get a far more portable product than the Switch, the 3D if you like it, the clamshell and the New hardware. As cute and affordable as the Mario Maker 2DS is, it's incredibly hard to recommend it because of how slow the OS can be compared to the New models. Maybe that matters less if you never plan to get the SNES games or handful of New exclusive games or Smash, but I'd do a little research if you have any desire to look at the slab models.

My only complaint with the New 3DS is the stylus holder is on the bottom. Just a terrible design. But you can customize the face plates! Totally worth it. Great games, fun little system.

Oct 27, 2017
The latest luigis mansion is pretty good, and bowser's inside story is coming shortly. Another EO is coming too. So still "new" games are coming.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
only if you are into retrogaming and Pokemon. otherwise, absolutely not, you'll be bored pretty quickly honestly

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It's always about what you want to play and how much you think you would use it. The question you should ask or research is "I like genre 1 and genre 2 and X is my favorite dev, what are the essential 3DS games for me?". No point on asking strangers on their subjective overall opinions since they might not like what you like.

If you like JRPGs and/or Nintendo game then the 3DS should be a no-brainer in my subjective opinion.

Oct 28, 2017
I got a 2DX XL last year during the Spring when the Switch hit a dry period (for me) and I got my value out of it 100% just playing SNES Virtual Console games. The lower resolution screen is awesome for retro games.

OP
OP
Ethifury

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
MonHun4
Yokai Watch 2, 3 and Busters
Mario 3D Land
LBX
Hatsune miku
Persona Q, Q2
SMT 4 and Strange journey
Layton games
Ace Attorney games
Stellw Glow
Lord of Magna
RUNE FACTORY 4
Dragon Guest

and that's only the surface.

I beat Mario 3D Land but never played any of the other titles you mentioned.

I think the library is varied and different enough that it's worth it. For example, games like Zelda: Link Between Worlds and Metroid: Samus Returns are great entries in their respective franchises. One of the real standouts is Sega's 3D Classics. Lots of great classic Sega games (Sonic, Shinobi 3, Streets of Rage/2, and so on) well emulated and with a fantastic 3D presentation that works surprisingly well (if you go with the 3DS over the 2DS). Of course, it also opens up the whole DS library to you, too. I'd personally go with the New 3DS XL, then you won't be giving up any features.

It has Streets of Rage? That's one of my favorite series. And I never played much Zelda outside of BotW. Is Majoras Mask worth playing?

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Mario 3D Land but never played any of the other titles you mentioned.

It has Streets of Rage? That's one of my favorite series. And I never played much Zelda outside of BotW. Is Majoras Mask worth playing?

It actually has both Streets of Rage 1 and 2. Majora's Mask is divisive. Some people hate and others think it's one of the best Zeldas. The Ocarina remake on 3DS is very good, too. Improved graphics over N64 and some gameplay improvements (like the water temple).

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It has a fantastic library that doesn't overlap whatsoever with the Switch library, so I'm going with "yes".

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it can play the DS and 3DS library of games, the vast majority of which will likely not make it to Switch.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It has a lot of great games and almost all of them can't be played anywhere else so absolutely if the games interest you. I don't think owning or not owning a Switch should be a factor.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YES. The 3DS library is amazing. I still play more 3DS than Switch honestly. The Atlus games alone make the thing worth it, some of which rank among the best handheld JRPGs ever. I'm playing Radiant Historia 3DS at the moment and it's outrageously good. Devil Survivor: Overclocked probably being the best alongside Etrian Odyssey IV.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Picross 3D round 2 is amazing. I've been playing it for years. I'm also into Picross E with the stylus.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
yes, the game library on both consoles are very different and neither are getting much of the same games. If you don't care for 3D get a new 2DS XL. Nice and clean design. Even though new 3DS releases are kind of absent right now, there are a few hundred games that are easily recommended.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
It depends on what you want to play. If you like Luigi's Mansion, Ocarina of Time/MM, Dragon Quest (VII, VIII, and the DS remakes), and classic Pokemon gameplay, it's a great console. I would recommend it because I doubt the Switch will get many of the 3DS' portable exclusives.