• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is it worth playing through all of the GOW games?

• Yes play through them all

Votes: 181 44.9%
  • Play through some entries, skip others

Votes: 164 40.7%
  • Nope, skip the entire franchise

Votes: 58 14.4%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about getting an Xbox for the first time in my life. Never really played any of these games. Is it worth going through the entire series?

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
You can skip Judgment.
But since they are all short and sweet games, I wouldn't skip it.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I did the same thing towards the end of the last generation, and out of the X360 entries I'd actually suggest skipping the first one. It's not bad, but very forgettable even by yesteryear's standards, and it doesn't hold up as well as later entries. 2 and 3 are a whole lot more enjoyable, both to play and look at. Judgment is pretty fun and a mechanically solid entry, but the gaiden style story is harder to get invested in. Haven't tried the X1 entries, so can't speak for those.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
In my experience I got super burnt out on the series and I played them day and date with their releases. 1 was incredible at the time. 2 was awesome. 3 was good but things were wearing thin. After that I seriously lost interest in the series. I had to force myself to complete 5 recently just to see what all the fuss was about. Your mileage will vary but the Gears games didn't do enough with each iteration for me.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think Judgment is an interesting take, but I eventually just dropped it because I found it less fun than the main games.

I'd say definitely play the 5 mainline games, though. 1-3 might feel dated, especially if you've tried 4 or 5, but they're still great fucking games.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
I suggest playing all of them.

Judgement is getting a bit of hate already but it's a bit more arcade-like which is a nice change of pace between 1-3 and 4/5.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
The first one's the only great one because it's a horror game with awesome mechanics and scenarios.

The rest are just good third-person shooters.

PontyfaxJr

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
Play them all, and I recommend the original over the remake for Gears 1. It has a sort of horror atmosphere that gets a bit lost with upgraded graphics.

All of them are better in co-op if that's an option for you.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if it's been said but skip Judgment.

Go back after you finish the mainline games as a curiosity if you're still wanting more.

edit: it's also worth going through the Halo series if you haven't.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
If you're getting a One X, I believe Judgement is the only one that isn't X enhanced (1 has that remastered port so I guess that kinda counts as enhanced). It's also the only one I never finished. Judging by the posts here, doesn't sound like I'm missing much

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
They're all good, especially in co-op. And while Judgment might not be the best in the series, it's still a fine game in its own right. Don't skip it if you end up loving the series.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
As a very casual gears player I can only recommend that if you're gonna play the older games, try to play them co-op. I don't think they are bad but I feel you get Gears fatigue once you play more than 2 gears in a row. You might be fine watching a story recap and jumping to gears 4/5? Really depends what style of game you like (I have friends who skip all the cutscenes and love gears. It hurts me inside).

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They are fun games, as others have said , maybe see if you can do them co-op, they really shine when you play with someone else. Especially as there is a little bit of asymmetrical play.

personally I really enjoyed judgement, it makes the experience a little more arcadey and gamey than they other titles, but still retains the core of what makes them great games.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Thinking about getting an Xbox for the first time in my life. Never really played any of these games. Is it worth going through the entire series?

Just did this in a similar situation. As someone with no nostalgia, I actually found 4 and 5 to be my favorites. But also I wouldn't really frame it as "is it worth it to play them all?" Try 1 and if you still want more, fire up 2... That's what I did and ended up playing them all over about 8 months with some breaks for other games.

Also, yeah, they are good games in a weirdly addictive way. If you can get over the silly macho vibe in some of the earlier games.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I wouldn't recommend playing all of these in one go, you're gonna get burned out since they're all pretty similar. The first two are my favorites but it goes down from there, with 4 as the low point. 5 is better but not by much, the open world segments drag it down. I wouldn't bother much with the optional content there.

I'd play the first two and then see if you want more. But definitely play co-op if you can.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. They are included in XGP, so if you have the time, you can always do a run through all of them in Casual. That's what I'm planning to do once I have some free time.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
1, 2, 3 are S-tier, 5 is A-tier, 4 is B-tier. Play those for sure (but spread them out, they're all more or less quite similar to each other so fatigue might set in pretty easily).

Judgment is skippable, I'd say.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I think the series is pretty consistent in quality overall (though probably peaking campaign-wise with 2 and 3), so I don't think there's much reason not to start with the first and then keep going though the numbered entries as long as you're enjoying yourself. I'd skip Judgment unless you just want all the Gears possible by that point.

Co-op is the way to go if you have a friend that is up for it.

Judgement has high metacritic score. Why is it considered being so mediocre and skipable?

It's a lower-budget side-story kind of thing that is more like a sequence of challenge Horde Mode maps strung together by cutscenes than like the campaigns of the mainline numbered games. (It lacks in set pieces, bosses, and general variety by comparison.) It's not terrible or anything, and is fairly fun for series fans (particularly in co-op) if you just really want more Gears, but if you're already looking at working your way through the entire series, it's very inessential.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
IF you can, play them co-op. They are super fun that way. And don't forget to play horde mode.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
1 was pretty novel at the time and has a good atmosphere

2 is a great game all around

By the time 3 came out, I was bored of the formula, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it today if I booted it up.

Never played the new ones or judgement

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Tried to replay the entire franchise a few months ago.

Don't feel it has aged well at all. There's better games to play, 5 is alright I guess.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the entire series for the first time a few months back, all one after the other, and had a good time. For Gears of War 1, I went with the Ultimate Edition; I didn't enjoy it as much as the sequels, but it was tense and had its moments of brilliance. Gears of War 2 was great, Gears of War 3 was great, and Judgement, while a bit on the short side, was also a good game (I really liked how the Declassified Missions were incorporated).

I was expecting to be completely burnt out once I made it to Gears 4 and 5, but I enjoyed those as well. I'll definitely give Tactics a shot when it comes out, and maybe check out the novels, too.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I played through the series when I got an Xbox briefly. They have fantastic combat and well-designed encounters, so if you're looking for a good third-person shooter, you'll have a great time with all of the Gears games (even Judgment, if you ask me).