• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to try the fan translation SNES version. Is it worth playing or just wait for the unarguably superior Remake thats coming on PS4 next year? Is SD3 still a good game to play today? I may have played the fan translation already ages ago when it came out but can't remember it much. I think the story was really hard to follow and all over the place...I really didn't know what was going on with any of the characters. Didn't like the character selection stuff at the start as I didn't think any of the characters stories were any good anyway.

I remember the story was nowhere near as good as Secret of Mana as it had lots of political boring stuff in it. But the gameplay seemed as good or better than Secret of Mana.

I know people here are gonna say it's out on Switch on a Collection etc but not interested in Switch versions of anything unless they are first party stuff.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say the remake is unarguably better. It's a different product based on the same story. The content itself is the same but the perspective and battle being completely different means you can enjoy both.

The story is thousand times better than in Secret of Mana, though.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I thought we already have the Mana Collection released not too long ago? You can try the Trials of Mana on that collection instead.

JoDa

Jan 12, 2018
The character selection invites for replayability, you get to choose a party of three out of the nine(i think?) characters and get to see their stories entwined with each other, aswell as following a pretty solid main plot line, so I think having two playthroughs with different sets of characters should be a fun experience

Besides, the remake is so very different that I think it would be worth it to play the classic just to compare experiences

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you're not even considering buying the Mana Collection? You're just going to emulate it? Do whatever you want then. It'll take you an hour tops to know if you want to keep playing it.

OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say the remake is unarguably better. It's a different product based on the same story. The content itself is the same but the perspective and battle being completely different means you can enjoy both.

The story is thousand times better than in Secret of Mana, though.

The story is better in Secret of Mana you mean? Or the other way round?
Why is it better?

I just wanna play it before the remake comes out as I'll have some kinda reference point for the remake if I play it I guess and even enjoy it more as the new one looks absolutely amazing.

I mean the original is nice with its pixel art graphics but I just watched the below video and it makes the original pretty much obsolete tbh. Looks silky smooth and sounds great.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
It's worth playing both, they might as well be two different games to me.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing SoM these days in preparation to ToM, never did it before and what a great game it is.

Can't wait to try out ToM though, only heard good things about it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The question is simply whether or not you enjoy playing SNES games in 2019.

And Seiken Densetsu 3 is a significantly better game than Secret of Mana in pretty much every way.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Uh do you own a cart OP? If not you're kinda just saying you're going to pirate the game right there in the opening post.

You should play it. It's a great game

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
SD3 has a ton of replayability even in itself- bringing 3 different characters results in a very different story. I don't think it'd hurt playing through it before the remake, even assuming the remake ends up being the same story.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Sorry to hijack but who is the most fun character to play in Seiken Densetsu 3? I'm considering all 3 of the ladies.

Fizz

Jul 15, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I'm playing SoM these days in preparation to ToM, never did it before and what a great game it is.

Can't wait to try out ToM though, only heard good things about it.

Is it possible to jump right into Trials of Mana without having played the original game(s)? So many games, so little time, just wondering if it's necessary.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Why is it better?

I just wanna play it before the remake comes out as I'll have some kinda reference point for the remake if I play it I guess and even enjoy it more as the new one looks absolutely amazing.

I mean the original is nice with its pixel art graphics but I just watched the below video and it makes the original pretty much obsolete tbh. Looks silky smooth and sounds great.

I'm happy that the music sounds the same, but better. Unlike that Mana remake that butchered most of the soundtrack.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
You might appreciate the remake more if you played the original?

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
I know people here are gonna say it's out on Switch on a Collection etc but not interested in Switch versions of anything unless they are first party stuff.

I'm very confused by this statement right here. It seems that you have a Switch, so if a game is exclusive, why would you not buy the game? I mean, it's not a first party exclusive, but it's a third party exclusive. I just...I don't comprehend what you're getting at with this. Do you own a Seiken Densetsu 3 cart? If not, and you're talking about pirating, it sounds like the above statement is your way of justifying stealing a product that is currently available for sale.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why is that?

It's cheaper to buy the collection than it is to buy the cart and the necessary hardware to dump it so you can patch it.

Tamazoid

Oct 28, 2017
Not to mention the collection is an exclusive Switch game that can't be played on another platform.

This is a very odd thread.

Oct 27, 2017
What is this thread!

I was going to try the fan translation SNES version. Is it worth playing or just wait for the unarguably superior Remake thats coming on PS4 next year? Is SD3 still a good game to play today? I may have played the fan translation already ages ago when it came out but can't remember it much. I think the story was really hard to follow and all over the place...I really didn't know what was going on with any of the characters. Didn't like the character selection stuff at the start as I didn't think any of the characters stories were any good anyway.

I remember the story was nowhere near as good as Secret of Mana as it had lots of political boring stuff in it. But the gameplay seemed as good or better than Secret of Mana.

OP, you seem to have you mind set on disliking the SNES original. So don't play it. You somehow seem to know that the remake is so good that it makes the original obsolete. Somehow. The "boring political stuff" and character selection will still be there, so I don't know how the remake will improve on that.

Why is that?

It's cheaper to buy the collection than it is to buy the cart and the necessary hardware to dump it so you can patch it.

OP is not going to do that. He's not tiptoeing about the idea of pirating the game.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing SD3 now on Switch, and was a huge SoM fan growing up. I honestly am finding the game mostly tedious and sort of boring. I may start a co-op campaign with a friend to see if that helps.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Why is it better?

What the Fudge, I never saw footage of Trials of Mana, that looks completely different!

...AND ALSO AMAZING I WANT IT SUPER BAD NOW

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Switch version is an actual translation? Why use the fan translation if that is the case OP?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Switch version is an actual translation? Why use the fan translation if that is the case OP?

I can think of one reason...

Pha1uhM.png

(But seriously, play the damn Switch one)

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Dear lord, they took a page of inspiration out of Dragon Quest localization haha
It's a real shame because the rest of the localization is pretty stellar.

Calling the God Beasts "Benevodons" is equally weird though. Making up names and shit.

OP, play the SNES version somehow. It will be different than the remake. For one thing, the original has co-op play, and the remake is tailored specifically for one person. But even if you play alone (I did) the original is totally worth it.

Also, the game is designed to be played through multiple times. Every character has four final classes they can achieve and there are three different storylines. So just choose different characters, classes, and a different story for the remake. I recommend doing Duran/Angela's for one, and Liesze/Hawke for the other. Although Kevin is supposedly a real beast in combat (pun intended)

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It's worth it

I am gonna get thto switch version of the collection and will get the remake on both PS4 and pc

I played the original on snes about 4 times

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I thought SD3 felt not as good as Mana as well, but man SD3 is a gorgeous game.
It's absolutely gorgeous but at times distractingly so. Pathways from screen to screen are often unclear. The cave area is especially hard to read. I do a lot of wall hugging to not miss exits, which gets tiresome.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
It's a real shame because the rest of the localization is pretty stellar.

Calling the God Beasts "Benevodons" is equally weird though. Making up names and shit.
I think the Benevodon thing is a weird artifact that comes from the translators trying to be consistent with the more recent Children of Mana and Dawn of Mana translations. The eight Mana Beasts were apparently called Benevodons when they appeared in Children of Mana, where they were apparently friendly. The name Benevodon was in contrast to the four evil Malevodons, who were the fused forms of the Benevodons. Naturally, the term Benevodon was then used in Heroes of Mana, which is technically a prequel to Trials of Mana set 20 years prior.

So apparently Benevodon has been the established official term for the eight Mana Beasts for well over a decade now. I never realized this myself, because I skipped the World of Mana games.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
The original is sort of terrible, but I also think Secret of Mana is sort of terrible.

I will have fun with Trails for a while then get into a fight against shit I've killed before but my party misses 30 attacks in a row and has to limp away slowly because sprinting doesn't work in combat. Or it'll be time to upgrade equipment and it takes 5 minutes because the menu is slow as hell. Or you can't open a menu in combat for a minute becasue the game was several spells/techs queued up and can't show them all at once and blocks the menu until they are done.

The remake will almost certainly fix most most of the things that annoy me about Trials of Mana. I say emulate it for a while to see the prettiest SNES graphics around but don't commit.