• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So NSO offers a discount code for members for two games for £84. This is great as you can get two costly Nintendo games that are usually £59.99 for cheaper I already have BOTW so was looking at smash.

I was wondering if it was worth picking up for SP content alone? The only other fighters I play are SF, Tekken and some others like KOF and Killer Instinct - granted none of these games are like smash.

I have played smash 64 but didn't like the zooming in and out of stages. Other than that it was a fun game with friends and family. I'm not too keen to play online as I do t think it would be fun playing with ransoms who would woop my ass.

Another thing I wanted to know is do I have to unlock characters in the game?

Really unsure if I would like this game or not.

the other game I was going to get with the voucher was the Mario collection but not sure about smash.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Yes. When you boot the game up for the first time you only get the first 8 characters from Smash 64. The rest of the cast unlocks either through World of Light campaign mode or every 10 minutes of play time.

It's worth it, I think, though local multiplayer is always the real reason to play Smash.

Faabulous

Oct 27, 2017
I put some 25 hours into the SP mode (the one with the mini-map) and had a pretty good time. Its got some fun fights and a pretty ok progression system. I'd say go for it

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017
Are you mainly playing SP because you genuinely like SP modes? If so, then this is worth it. This game basically has an rpg like component, where it's just a bunch of battles with different settings against the vast array of characters.
You do have to unlock characters by beating them. It starts off easy and progressively gets harder. Really builds you up.

If you like SP, then this is worth it. Otherwise It's iffy.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I put about 30hrs into it and have never played with another person. The single player is a bit grindy though.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The online is astrocious anyway unless you were talking about offline multiplayer. Single player is really fun between unlocking characters, challenges, story mode. You'll have a good time.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's best made for playing with others, but I do pop in and just do level 9 computer battles for an hour or so every week.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'd recommend you try a demo if there's one available. If you're a fan of fighters like Street Fighter...Smash is rather different.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yes
The game is full of singleplayer content even if it is not exactly the smash bros game with most of it

yes.
Also it works pretty well with the single player mode World of Light since each character unlock works as a new member to enter your party =D

There are other ways to do it, tho =P

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Nope. The SP in smash Is pretty meh. Unless you really like the idea of fighting the CPU in various odd situations for 30+ hours.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's still extremely fun with World of Light and all of the little character card challenges or whatever they're called. I think my time on that game was split 98 / 2 for my single-player / multiplayer split and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you really love the gameplay of Smash, you can easily get dozens of hours out of its Spirits modes (one-off matches against CPU with different gimmicks), World of Light (a "story" mode comprised of Spirit battles), and Classic (arcade runs). I definitely have.

If you don't really love the gameplay, no, definitely not.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of single player content between World of Light, spirit board, classic mode, etc. and so many characters that you're bound to find several you really enjoy. It's the best entry for single player in the series and well worth checking out even if you aren't interested in the multiplayer. You can unlock characters either by progressing through the story mode or by simply playing the game, there's no weird secrets or ways to miss them.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I only played SP (a few times I had a buddy over to play with me in MP) and I think it's worth the money. Granted, I have strong nostalgia for the series. But the board-game/overworld mode is pretty fun. I would say go for it if you want to play around with Smash gameplay.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If you really love the gameplay of Smash, you can easily get dozens of hours out of its Spirits modes (one-off matches against CPU with different gimmicks), World of Light (a "story" mode comprised of Spirit battles), and Classic (arcade runs). I definitely have.

Don't forget Home Run Mode =D

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I think so, yes. It's a super fun game that I love playing all the time in custom matches against bots. I don't really like the "single player modes", never did beyond the original game's arcade mode, but I do love me some bot matches.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Beware, I too transitioned from the Street/Kof and those are still my bread and butter to this day. Smash is different... but it's the best modern local multiplayer fighter, period. It's worth making the effort, the game is majestic.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
Maybe check out some videos of world of light/classic mode. There is barely any "story" in single player modes, if you just like smash gameplay then its fine. But if you want a game with story hooks then smash single player won't do it for you.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
No i dont think so. To be up front, I dont like Smash or fighting games in general so i picked it up for world of light exclusively. I really didnt enjoy it at all, the premise was cool but i didnt get a lot out of the fights themselves or the rest of the story that i played (played like 8 hrs)

you may feel differently because you have experience with fighting games in general, but based on my own experience i'd say its not worth it

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
Yes, absolutely.

I mostly play single player and have easily got 100+ hours out of it through classic mode, world of light and collecting spirits.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've put over 100 hours into it and I barely play with any other people (like, 1% of that playtime, if that).

it's a very fun game to switch your brain off with to enjoy some amazing jams and have a fun time, and that's after you've collected all of the single player stuff. It kinda has the same appeal of Dynasty Warriors-type games in that regard.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think some people are just assuming OP is referring to World of Light when he's talking about playing Ultimate single-player in general. For which I think it's kind of odd for someone to say that no, it isn't worth it. Ultimate has a ton of content for anyone even mildly interested in the Smash series, playing multiplayer or not.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
I treat Smash as Nintendo memorabilia and now with so many third party characters as gaming memorabilia. From that point of view is incredibly worth it. I miss 3D models though, instead we are stuck with lame stickers, but still in terms of content, artwork, soundtracks it is a pretty overwhelming and complete package of gaming history.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
As someone who has put almost 500 hours into the game: no. World of Light isn't worth buying the game for, it's very repetitive and gets old real fast. Same goes for Classic mode or playing against CPUs in general.

The only way to get some real fun out of any Smash game is to play with others either just for fun or in a competitive way.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I absolutely adored the single player. I wish it had more story, but it reminds me of Soul Calibur IIs single player mode, with all the cool quirks on the fights.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
I vote yes. Ultimate's deal is taking all of the different elements that have composed Smash through the ages—the stages, the characters, the items, the alterable attributes like weight, etc., the massive soundtrack—and throws them together in as many different scenarios as possible, with these scenarios paying homage to gaming history. Through the classic mode and World of Light and Spirit Board and a few bonus options like the Home Run Contest there is a lot of content to go through, and a lot to collect and tinker with on your own.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
if you find the spirit battles engaging then world of light and the spirit board can make for hours of good content, and classic mode is always a nice romp

but ultimate especially is bigger on the MP modes

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's what I did. I put about 20 hours into world of light (mostly because I'm bad at Smash) and haven't really touched it since.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly play quick matches with CPU these days and rarely bother with online. I think this game is still worth it even if you don't have anybody to play with

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Yes. World of Light is *huge* and has New Game+ components, and the different fights they put you through are pretty diverse, including a nice range of challenges to them.

Then each character has their own unique Classic route. There is a lot of unique content in there even though they shed modes like Event Match and such.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I've played Smash Bros completely alone for like 20 years and because of the way the series works, there's a ton of fun to have alone. Getting high scores in single player, trying to do no continue runs, etc.

So I'd say yes, definitely.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The single-player World of Light mode is pretty fun for a good number of hours (it became boring eventually). I got some mileage out of it, but I'd say only buy it if you can get it at a decent discount.

Nov 17, 2017
There's no reason to get Smash Ultimate if you aren't playing multiplayer. The single player content is seriously lacking. People say the World of Light mode has a ton of content, and it does, but it's grindy, boring, repetitive content presented in the least appealing way imaginable. It's far too long for its own good.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I did and... probably not. I mean, I wanted to play online, but it's terrible, so most of my play time was in World of Light. The mode is neat for the first few hours, but gets old really quick. I got bored near the end of the first map, and apparently there was a second one?

Oct 25, 2017
I can't promise that you'll like World of Light, but if you do, you'll get a ton of mileage out of it.

For the more standard gameplay, Smash holds up when fighting bots IMO, and it'll take you hours upon hours to try all the stages and unlock all the characters.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, there's enough to keep one entertained in singleplayer. And if you're like me, even if you don't finish World of Light and barely play online/locally, having the OST to listen to with the system on the side is pretty nice (it's my main reason for booting the game up mostly). Classic Mode is also real neat in Ultimate.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I think so, there is a dedicated single player campaign of sorts as well as a ton of other misc single player offerings. With the insane amount of characters in the game i find it very fun to unlock them all as well. A luxury that's more of the past nowadays. The additional DLC characters are just the tasty af icing on the cake.