• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 8, 2018
Where ME1 is basically KOTOR 3, and ME2 is like a slow burning character anthology, ME3 is like a rollercoaster blockbuster season finale. It doesn't quite stick the landing at the very end, but it otherwise delivers on a pretty satisfying conclusion of the core cast's individual stories. The big complaints about ME3 are largely centered in the ending's strange implications for the broader universe, and its failure to craft a tailored ending based on Shepard's choices. But generally the game is a very good action experience with some insane emotional highs, and well worth playing if you love ME2.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's a fantastic game. Not as good as 2, but better than 1. Has the highest highs of the series.

The From Ashes and Leviathan DLCs are absolutely essential to enjoy the game though.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally a bad ending doesn't retroactively destroy the enjoyment I had along the way, so really depends on how you think you'd react

kingsamj

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 2 is one of my favourite games of all time, but Mass Effect 3 regardless of how you feel about the ending is still a great ride w/frankly top tier gameplay.

Although I will say, I'm probably a bigger fan than most because I enjoyed ME: Andromeda. The game is fun from a gameplay perspective and I liked going onto each planet and doing missions to 100% them. The story is whatever but the game is still fun to play imo. *Ducks & Hides*
I'm with you on this. I liked Andromeda! I also like ME3 and I wasn't particularly incensed by the ending the way a lot of other people were.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Its great especially with all the DLC. Wraps up nicely. Sure the ending pissed people off but I always thought it was fine. Just stay away from Andromeda. That's some mediocre shit.

Oct 27, 2017
I played the trilogy back-to-back. I got ME1 and ME2 like two-three months before ME3 released. It's an excellent game and I never quite understood the absolute hatred the ending got. I do say that maybe it's because I didn't have to wait years to see the story play out, though. Ending a story is difficult. There are certainly things they could have done better, but, especially at the time people were dismissing the trilogy as a whole just because of the final moments and that never made sense to me. I thought the ending was fine. Not perfect, not even great, just fine.

Play ME3, you'll love it. Fantastic game. Plus, I imagine going into the game knowing it doesn't have the strongest ending may not even bother you as much and you may have my thought of "wait, people are this upset over that?"

EDIT: Forgot to add that playing through the trilogy back-to-back is still one of my favourite moments is gaming. Also, about going into something while knowing it doesn't have a strong ending: I did that with The Sopranos. All I heard was that the ending was controversial. Not only is it one of the greatest shows, I thought the exact quote from above, "wait, people are this upset over that!?"

Last edited:

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Idk. I guess so, it has good gameplay, but the rest of the game like story, world-building, exploration, is pretty disappointing. I just wouldn't expect anything on the level of the first two in those areas

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Every ME thread, there's one person who somehow prefers the first one.

Personal preferences aside, I would say ME1 is actually the odd one out as ME3 is basically "ME2 but better".

I don't think it's that hard to understand, ME1 has the best world-building, story, atmosphere and exploration of all of them

I can't think of one way ME 3 is better than 2 tbh. 2 has more interesting new characters, more memorable locations, more exploration, etc. The only thing I could think of would be the gameplay, but even then I think ME 2 is more strategic/difficult which is a little more interesting than ME 3's combat which isn't much different from any other third person shooter.

Last edited:

Small Red Boy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 9, 2019
DZTXhmC.gif

Every ME thread, there's one person who somehow prefers the first one.

Personal preferences aside, I would say ME1 is actually the odd one out as ME3 is basically "ME2 but better".
I mean I see where you are coming from ME1 is a little bit wanky but it has the most personality (I guess ?). Like with each new installment it was more and more generic. ME3 is just bland (imo ofc).

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Wait until the remaster next year

also, it's a very flawed game even if we disregard the nonsensical and dumb endings

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The whole ending talk has people thinking ME3 is worse than it actually is. Might not be the ending most wanted, but the game is still better than many others. Even stuff that came out this year

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect series was probably the one single big gaming series that until the last few weeks, I never came round to playing. After having completing the first 2 and falling in love with the series, I'm not sure if I want to go through with the third. The one thing that I was made aware about this series, was the fans response to it and it's left me cautiously unsure if I want to play it all to see it unfold as I don't want it to ruin my overall experience of the series. Is it worth it regardless of how I end up feeling the games goes, or should I just leave it at the 2 and ignore the possible anger it might cause me ?

It's a fantastic game. Just make sure to get all the DLC, in particular From Ashes and Citadel.

Be aware that due to the immense number of variables taken into account from previous games, this game features fewer dialogue choices than the other 2. You often have to choose between just 2 responses, I remember it bothered me a bit on my first playthrough. As long as you're aware it shouldn't hamper your enjoyment.

On my last playthrough of the trilogy that ended last year, it turned out 3 was the one I enjoyed the most. 2 used to be my favourite.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Mass Effect 3 is one of my favorite games ever, especially with all of the DLC.

Skipping it would be a huge mistake.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly enjoyed it more than 2 since it felt a bit more like the first game. But the ending options are genuinely terrible. It's probably worth at least seeing how things end though if you:re already 2 deep.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 3 is absolutely still worth playing despite the ending. Despite what a lot of people say, the journey is still worth it, even if the conclusion wasn't satisfying.

I've actually never seen the "fixed" ending, as I finished it within the first few weeks of release and just didn't bother to replay it afterwards.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just wanna say the combat is clearly the best of the three. Like I put like three dozen hours or so into that multiplayer mode just cuz it was really fun to move around and fight dudes.

Oct 28, 2017
I never got the hate for 3. I played it post launch so maybe that shades my opinion. It's basically Mass Effect 2 with some improvements. There's a specific character that is rushed but aside from that it's not radically different from 2.

1 is probably my favourite gameplay wise. 2 is still great and probably has my favourite story + presentation. 3 is more of an evolution on 2's formula.

I'd say 3 is my least liked of the trilogy but not by much. Play it and make your own mind up, it's worth seeing through and catching up on the less toxic discourse + original ideas they had.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Absolutely worth it. I agree the ending could have been better (I am not as critical of it as most) but that notwithstanding it is still a fantastic game which has some of the best missions in the series along with the best combat and the Citadel DLC is simply perfect.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
It's not great, but if you tolerated 2, you can tolerate 3, it's the same cover-shooter-gears-of-wars-clone-with-dialogue-choice thing.

Last edited:

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Play it.
Love it.
Reach the ending.
Puke.
Cry.
Get angry.
Accept it.
Try to move on.
Play Andromeda.
Get bored with it
Dream of new Mass Effect.
Wait patiently.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Of course you should. No amount of hate this game gets translates into skipping it.

I personally really liked it. I felt the intro to the game was very strong even if the end was not that great, even then I do not think it was as bad as people say.

IMHO I think the bad reaction to the ending is just too much hype and unrealistic expectations about how the decisions made through the 3 games would reflect in the end. I felt people expected every little choice to have big or important consequences in the last game. One example was how the Rachni Queen which was a good call out to ME1.

The game is flawed and has issues, but it is as good as the rest of the series. I think I hated the abrupt ending and terminator boss of 2 more.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Good-Great game with a terrible final area. Last couple of replays I saved The Citadel DLC for as late as possible and stopped there.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Outside of the ending, I think it's a far superior game to Mass Effect 2 in terms of main plot and has some genuinely brilliant pay-offs for things that are set up as far back as the first game. But I'm one of those weirdos that thinks that Mass Effect 1 is the best game in the series by a large margin so take that with a pinch of salt!

The ending is truly terrible though.
It's a real shame because everything leading up to about 10 minutes before the credits roll is so impactful and has such a sense of weight to it, like you're really finishing up a long journey... and then you have 10 minutes of absolute nonsense that in no way, thematically or otherwise fits into the story of the trilogy. It makes about as much as sense as if the last book of Harry Potter ended with Ron being revealed to be a cyborg spy from the Soviet Union. I didn't really think Leviathan DLC helped with the foreshadowing either to be honest. At least Citadel is amazing, and is a great sign off to all the characters you spent so many hours with.
EDIT: Decided to spoiler just in case OP doesn't want to know specifically why the ending was bad. Although no real spoilers about the ending in there

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
People preach about the Citadel DLC and they're absolutely right, but Leviathan is an underrated gem and should've shipped with the base game along with From Ashes (which did, but you had to pay separately for).

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
ME3 ties up a lot of the ongoing storylines in an absolutely unforgettable way. Don't let Kai Leng or the ending make you miss out on those moments.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The backlash was very much warranted especially after lying about the ending all the way up to release.
Meh. It's still a well made game. Looked great, played great, had good rp. I loved it start to finish and then I went to the internet and there was a whole controversy and I was surprised

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Definitely. Mass Effect 3 rightly gets dragged for its terrible (and I mean terrible) ending, but the rest of the game is generally great and that seems to get glossed over a lot. I had a great time with it. Play it for sure.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Play it.

The dialogue options I felt was a step down, but the gameplay is good, the vistas are great, and it had my favourite moment in the entire trilogy in it.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 3 is the best combat wise. It has some amazing story moments. Just because the ending is...underwhelming doesn't mean the whole game is bad.

Party

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Yes. Mass Effect 3's final few minutes can be rough (I personally was fine with it) but overall the game is maybe just behind 2 in quality. There are tons of moments that outshine anything else in the franchise. When people ask for examples of earned fanservice, ME3 is one of my go to answers. It's also the best playing of the three.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect 3 is the best combat wise. It has some amazing story moments. Just because the ending is...underwhelming doesn't mean the whole game is bad.
It's more than just the ending. Characters are sidelined, elements of the game are simply poorly written or disregards player choice. On top of that the final mission is a major grind and downgrade from the suicide mission.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
Play it. Even if it's just to complete the trilogy. Just keep your expectations in check. In my opinion, you will be seriously let down if you don't.

Then play Andromeda. It really wasn't as bad as people said. Full disclaimer tho, I played after all the patches had released lol

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
it's an amazing game, yeah, should play it for sure!

buuut, i would say wait for the remaster!

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It's still an excellent game and has some superb story moments.

The endings not terrible, its just underwelming but personally i will always believe in the indoctrination theory ;)

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's more than just the ending. Characters are sidelined, elements of the game are simply poorly written or disregards player choice. On top of that the final mission is a major grind and downgrade from the suicide mission.

This is how I feel too. It's more than just the ending that got worse than its predecessors.

It's still a good game though and worth playing if you enjoy the franchise.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
As long as you are aware that the ending is controversial and don't mind one of those boss fights where you are supposed to win, but then cutscenes happen where you "lose" despite just wiping the floor with the boss moments before... then I recommend playing 3.