• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
i have a razer blade 15 2019 advanced model laptop. 2070 RTX, i7-9750H with a LG 27' 1440p 144hz monitor. i love it but a pain in the ass for alot of reasons.

cooling is kinda bad, gets very hot to the touch. even after re-pasting and fans all the way on. makes me feel like im ruining my laptop.
my SSD is only 512GB and with warzone taking up most of that up alone, upgrading is expensive and pointless if i thinking of buying a desktop.

i have some extra cash right now to buy a PC around $2,200 was looking at the pre built HP OMEN Obelisk with the 2080TI. or maybe 2080 super once i find out how much of a difference they really are. its hard to have patience when i keep looking at videos on it lol. i know i can always upgrade when the new Nvidia cards come out but with the prices for GPUs alone might help waiting. my thing is if they are for sure coming out this year i can wait but if they get delayed with all the shit going on right now, i might just bite.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Don't buy hardware more than 50% though its product lifecycle unless it's basically free.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I would wait personally. Also not to be an elitist but build it yourself, it's easy. But if you dont make sure that you use a good service. Nzxt basically lets you do your own but they just build it for you, and they don't charge much. If you just buy a prebuilt where you didnt choose the parts they will overcharge you by a lot usually and will cut corners where they can. Those PC's usually come woth bronze rated PSU's and stuff like that.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It's close enough to the next cycle of products I would rather wait.

also I would suggest using throttlestop on your laptop which would help with thermals and battery a bit. lot of help online especially for razor laptops. Maybe also customize your fan speeds

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Love my 2080 Ti, it's great. It's going to have a good long life with DLSS helping it in the future for big releases.

But if you made it this long, then you should wait - if for nothing else than for video cards to have HDMI 2.1 ports. The 48 inch LG CX 4k 120hz OLED is going to beat the pants off monitor competition at the $1500 price point, but you're not going to max that TV's potential on a card that can't do HDMI 2.1 since it doesn't use DisplayPort.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
3000 is supposed to be better and cheaper than 2000 series. I'd wait if I were you.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Love my 2080 Ti, it's great. It's going to have a good long life with DLSS helping it in the future for big releases.

But if you made it this long, then you should wait - if for nothing else than for video cards to have HDMI 2.1 ports. The 48 inch LG CX 4k 120hz OLED is going to beat the pants off monitor competition at the $1500 price point, but you're not going to max that TV's potential on a card that can't do HDMI 2.1 since it doesn't use DisplayPort.

As someone who just bought an LG OLED B9 65", this is what I'm thinking too. It has HDMI 2.1 and a firmware update to support GSYNC and VRR up to 4K 120hz with HDR like what the new 2020 E/C/B X series do, and places are currently lowering prices on them to clear out space for the new 2020 models too, which means you can get one at a great price.

If you can wait, see if you can't make a good small-form-factor build that you can use in the living room as well as your desk with a 3xxx series card, and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Oct 25, 2017
You have an RTX 2070 (even if it's a weaker laptop version). It's going to be more than enough to last you the half a year it'll take for the next graphics cards to arrive. I have a damn GTX 1070.

We are at the tail end of a terrible GPU generation. It's the worst possible time to buy now.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't have the laptop I'd say go for it, but I think you can get by with what you have for now.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd wait a bit longer. I assume you're using the laptop basically as a desktop at this point (seperate keyboard and mouse)?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'm hoping a more competitive AMD can bring GPU prices down to reality by the end of the year. I want a 4k capable card for next gen PC ports but I don't want to pay $1200 for it.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Just pick up everything except the graphics card and wait, or buy a cheap card for now and upgrade it later.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait until Ryzen 4000, RDNA 2, and Ampere are out. Give some thought on picking up discounted Ryzen 3000 around that same time.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Those Ryzen 4000 laptops that are just starting to come out are wiping the floor with Intel counterparts when it comes to multicore and multithread benchmarks, in terms of both performance and heat. It's amazing how much AMD has kicked Intel's ass lately.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sitting here on my GTX 1050 mini 2GB and i3 6100. I can barely wait, but it will be so much more worth it at the end of the year.

But you already got a 2070. You can play all the games this year with it for sure.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
Honestly bad time to buy a GPU considering we're at the end of the generation. New cards will drop in August probably. I'd personally wait until then.

I have a 2060 Super, which I only got because I got a really good deal on it. I'm definitely upgrading to the 3080 whenever it drops, but this is more than enough for now. You've got a 2070, it will be worth it to wait. That is more than powerful enough to run all the games releasing this year.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
There is no reason to buy a gaming PC before this fall unless you literally have no gaming machine right now.
This is essentially what my recent situation was. I just went all in with 2080Ti, the 12 core AMD processor. I'm in my late 20s, waited my whole life to finally knuckle down and build myself a Gaming PC. Wasn't going to wait any longer and didn't want to compromise.

Jun 23, 2019
I mean are there any decent prebuilt gaming PCs out there? While I could very well upgrade my old 2011 rig and do it myself, I kinda just like the convenience of having one made for me? I know it sounds lazy lol.

Nov 8, 2017
If you need to play games now, then buy now, but otherwise wait. Just be prepared it'll be ~4-6 months before new shit comes out.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It depends.

30- series will be great. It might also be delayed or they may only have very supply constrained Founder's Edition cards for a while.

Nvidia GPUs usually hold their price quite well - you may be able to buy a card now, use it for 6 months then resell it and get 75% of your $ back after securing a 30-series card also.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
About the only thing hat you should buy right now are RAM and PCI4 SSDs (even these will get better later this year and will be faster than PSV's SSD, right now they are almost on par with it).

The CPU will get better with the new Ryzen 4000 series that comes out later this year. While you should probably get a motherboard that natively supports hat chipset which will come out when the CPU is out.

As for GPU, you should absolutely wait for 3000 series. That's where you'll see the biggest improvement over what's available right now on the market.