• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Yes, you causally dismiss actual attempts to discuss and explore because you disagree, which is incredibly arrogant. This is not how discussions work, and every post that actively tried to explore your own fallibility has been dismissed this way.

Why even make this thread if you cannot respond to critiques beyond "I don't agree, moving on!"?

It really shouldn't be surprising that my attitude changed as soon as the hostility started, should it? Of course I lost interest as soon as I realized the nature of my post was going to stir up emotion, because emotion corrupts. I don't want a corrupted viewpoint. Nobody does.

Which is why

1. I'm not responding to you until I feel like I can do so properly, because that's what I do; I throw a discussion point out there, I absorb and sort of marinate on what I hear and then I respond, if I feel I can without sounding ridiculous. That approach might be a problem for you in this 24/7 social media "immediate gratification is necessary" world that we live in but that's the way I'm doing it.

And 2. I can't get a read on why, but you have taken a strong interest in this, enough where you've quoted me on 7 different pages trying to wring out a thesis response. Just another thing I'm trying to get a read on (and failing, admittedly, because that's called humility. I have it, just in case there was any doubt /s)

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So OP

Let's try and steady this ship for you and the sake of discourse

I think the very first steps are

What's your definition of "formal" and "big words" because prior examples seem lacking in something the majority here would consider such and to correctly engage and provide discussion as to the topic at hand I think it requires clarification.

Draw a line in the sand to any prior discussion and forward look to avoid hostility.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It really shouldn't be surprising that my attitude changed as soon as the hostility started, should it? Of course I lost interest as soon as I realized the nature of my post was going to stir up emotion, because emotion corrupts. I don't want a corrupted viewpoint. Nobody does.

We did discuss this earlier. The fact you began with "'ll be upfront with you Era, I'm quite proficient with the English language." opened you up to internet ridicule. It's a pretty arrogant statement to begin with, so while it might not deserve the hostility you got at the start it was a reason for it.

Some of us did attempt to explain this and engage with you, but during that period you actually outright ignore most of our posts and just responded to the attacks. I get why you did, as I have said numerous times it's hard to ignore it, but you DID stifle discussion by ignoring it and escalating the hostility.

I actually batted for you across two pages here, and have agreed that a lot of the hostility was too much, but it was partially on you.

Which is why

1. I'm not responding to you until I feel like I can do so properly, because that's what I do; I throw a discussion point out there, I absorb and sort of marinate on what I hear and then I respond, if I feel I can without sounding ridiculous. That approach might be a problem for you in this 24/7 social media "immediate gratification is necessary" world that we live in but that's the way I'm doing it.

And 2. I can't get a read on why, but you have taken a strong interest in this, enough where you've quoted me on 7 different pages trying to wring out a thesis response. Just another thing I'm trying to get a read on (and failing, admittedly, because that's called humility. I have it, just in case there was any doubt /s)
I'm sorry, but I don't believed this is true. You could very easily have responded to posts in a way that proved this, but there is no evidence.

An example, if you go back to my earlier posts ITT it is clear what my points are, but you responded with posts like these:

"So we're hung up on my example being poor?" in response to this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-it-weird-to-speak-too-formally.155777/post-26892729

Now, this is just an example of one of my own posts and your response to it, but other people did the same with incredibly defensive and dismissive responses from you that gave ZERO indication that you were taking your time to consider a response.

The reason I am invested here is because I was actually interested in discussing this with you, and now I'm frustrated by your dishonesty. It's a flaw of my own that I've continued to engage when it's clear you don't actually want honest debate, especially now you're trying to re-frame your performance earlier in the thread.

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
So OP

Let's try and steady this ship for you and the sake of discourse

I think the very first steps are

What's your definition of "formal" and "big words" because prior examples seem lacking in something the majority here would consider such and to correctly engage and provide discussion as to the topic at hand I think it requires clarification.

Draw a line in the sand to any prior discussion and forward look to avoid hostility.

That's the thing, it's not my definition. It's a second hand definition, one that I didn't prompt, and I like to believe my family are not stupid, my grandmother certainly isn't, she was a nurse for 40 years, but TO THEM IT WOULD SEEM, saying words like "meticulous", "superfluous", "anachronistic" and so on is a very formal way of speaking.

...Which is why.....I came to Era to hear what others had to say. If people want to have actually have a crack at how I speak (or type if you wanna be literal) then at least give me time to self reflect to say whether or not you are actually right.....@astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing, it's not my definition. It's a second hand definition, one that I didn't prompt, and I like to believe my family are not stupid, my grandmother certainly isn't, she was a nurse for 40 years, but TO THEM IT WOULD SEEM, saying words like "meticulous", "superfluous", "anachronistic" and so on is a very formal way of speaking.

...Which is why.....I came to Era to hear what others had to say. If people want to have actually have a crack at how I speak (or type if you wanna be literal) then at least give me time to self reflect to say whether or not you are actually right.....@astro
We would have, had you given ANY indication you were not just outright dismissing the majority of critiques.

Trying to turn this around to US being unreasonable... is really something.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
There's nothing wrong with being well spoken obviously, and there are times such as when you're debating complex topics, trying to be persuasive or trying to explain an idea that it's a huge benefit. But all the same, you should be able to tell when somebody has a significantly lower vocabulary than you and adjust accordingly. Otherwise you're just gonna come across either incomprehensible or patronising.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you insulting children? Hahaha

The joy of insulting people in their face without them understanding might be a very egocentric thing to do, but it is extremely pleasurable none the less. And it doesn't hurt anyone in the process as a bonus. So why would i not insult the little fuckers that are pissing me off ? They don't even know i am. :p

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Here's an easy way to tell if you're using your big words correctly: If people can't figure out through context what a word you're using means (field-specific jargon excluded), you're probably not using that word appropriately. I've been reading long fantasy/sci-fi books since I was a little kid, and even though I didn't know a lot of the words (still don't sometimes), I was able to understand what they meant.

I'm reading that he's psychosomatic, yeah that sounds familiar, though I'm more a hypochondriac.

what

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
They're saying an aspect of Niles' irrational nature is familiar, but that that their own is a slightly different type of anxiety.

I get that, but the sentence is bad and you can't be a psychosomatic. It's like the OP's problem on full display. Trying to use big words at the expense of clarity.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I get that, but the sentence is bad and you can't be a psychosomatic. It's like the OP's problem on full display. Trying to use big words at the expense of clarity.
You're right, I should have caught that. This thread has exhausted me and I'm on auto-pilot now.

Putting the thread on ignore, I don't think I can be productive here now.

Now OP PMs me with "Is this an issue close to your heart because you are non binary? I would imagine use of language would be something that would be a thorn in your side. "

I have no words. I'm out.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
You're right, I should have caught that. This thread has exhausted me and I'm on auto-pilot now.

Now OP PMs me with "Is this an issue close to your heart because you are non binary? I would imagine use of language would be something that would be a thorn in your side. "

Bloody hell....yep my limit has also been reached

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Using autistic as a pejorative
Amazing that a small change to the OP would have avoided 8 posts of this.

But you're not though, that's kinda what people are getting at. The fact you cant see this yet is astounding, to be quite honest.

Also, holy shit. Definitely autistic lolol.

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
But you're not though, that's kinda what people are getting at. The fact you cant see this yet is astounding, to be quite honest.

Also, holy shit. Definitely autistic lolol.

giphy.gif

Way past done being civil.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Something I try to teach my English students in middle and high school is that, if you're using a word that is inappropriate compared to the register (formality) of the rest of your writing, it is not only awkward, it is *incorrect.* A thesaurus, for example, should be used to remind you of words you already know and need to use because of their specificity or sound, not because of their impressiveness (and no words should be "impressive" once you graduate from college anyway). You want specificity and smoothness of tone more than anything else.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
it would definitely rub me the wrong way.
It often reads as "trying really hard to sound smart" rather than "proper"

Formality in informal situations makes people uncomfortable.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Hail! Do I see another forum denizen of intellectual stature equal to mine own? Do you mayhaps dare to match wits in a tête-à-tête? We must rendezvous at once to engage in a duel of which the common folk will speak for generations to come. Draw thy proverbial sword and accept my challenge, kind sir. You will find that I shall prove to be quite... equestrian.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

What?! Is this for real?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hail! Do I see another forum denizen of intellectual stature equal to mine own? Do you mayhaps dare to match wits in a tête-à-tête? We must rendezvous at once to engage in a duel of which the common folk will speak for generations to come. Draw thy proverbial sword and accept my challenge, kind sir. You will find that I shall prove to be quite... equestrian.
Salutations, prospective rival in digital intercourse! Though the honor of my acquiescence to partake in psychic fisticuffs is, in sooth, unsolicited, nonetheless I fain attest it is hereby most fulsomely granted. En garde, and gesundheit.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
Salutations, prospective rival in digital intercourse! Though the honor of my acquiescence to partake in psychic fisticuffs is, in sooth, unsolicited, nonetheless I fain attest it is hereby most fulsomely granted. En garde, and gesundheit.
If I had seen your gracious invitation at an earlier moment along the inexorable march of time, I would gladly engage in intercourse post haste! Alas -- and alack! -- this "forum post" comes post hoc. My (considerable) esprit has been spent in the various quotidian exercises I utilize to maintain such a psychic physique, if you would pardon such a crude comparison to the trappings of the flesh. I regret to bring forth such tidings to as remarkable a suitor as your (clearly) prominently-browed self, but consequently, I must bid you adieu, à demain, and à la carte.

Mar 29, 2018
I'll be upfront with you Era, I'm quite proficient with the English language.

This is almost "(I'm an expert)" level

On topic, yes, "know your audience". A part of discourse and communication equally important to vocabulary/language is empathy and "levelling" with those you speak to.

Some people will love that you speak like this and engage with it. Others will hate it and not engage.

If you need to communicate something important to someone, use the appropriate style/means.

There is no "proper" way of speaking. There is no correct and incorrect use of language - only success or failure at conveying meaning to other(s).