• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If you speak a different native language than english: have that on a high proficiency level but follow the KISS rule for english. Keep it simple, stupid.
You can raise your conversation level anytime if you notice that the other persons are also communicating on a higher level, otherwise: KISS.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scrupulous, maybe? Meticulous is a pretty common word imo
Scruples have more to do with ethics and morals. Meticulous is a word with pretty specific meaning. Fastidious comes close, but isn't the same thing, and is also just as verbose.

Anyway meticulous is a pretty common word.
The assumption that the OP needs help from strangers on a forum, on such a silly topic as this, is a bit unwarranted.

Methinks.

;)
He made this thread asking for input. It's not that deep.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
See that question mark? There's a reason it's there. :)
See, this is yet another example of your defensiveness and inability to acknowledge your own fallibility.

Of course that person was going to say it the way you did... look at all your dismissal and posturing ITT after ASKING for feedback.

Throughout this thread you have been posturing and dismissing honest attempts to explore this with you, an
The assumption that the OP needs help from strangers on a forum, on such a silly topic as this, is a bit unwarranted.

Methinks.

;)
They asked for feedback... and didn't like it when their own fallibility was highlighted.

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Scruples have more to do with ethics and morals. Meticulous is a word with pretty specific meaning. Fastidious comes close, but isn't the same thing, and is also just as verbose.

Anyway meticulous is a pretty common word.

He made this thread asking for input. It's not that deep.

I made this thread asking for opinions, not to be diagnosed with autism by some rude armchair psychologist.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Most people don't use a diverse lexicon of english words, so if every time they see you, you are spouting off words they need to take a thesaurus out for, they may think you are condescending or pretentious or something. It is an uncommon thing, so first judgements will not be in your favor most of the time.

Think of it like when you talk to someone who understands (example) music theory vs someone who doesn't and so would be unfamiliar with a lot of the lingo. It is off putting to have someone rattle off things you have little understanding of, and can even feel alienating as they don't know how to engage with you.

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
jfc... you ASKED us for feedback, but you really didn't want it.

And PLENTY of us did that honestly, and you just arrogantly dismissed it.

Look, you don't know me, so lets not pretend that I have to agree with you. And frankly I don't. So I'm not sure what you want me to say to you. This is ResetEra, not a committee meeting at Oxford.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Let me stop you right there, agree to disagree that "your family members are idiots" is a "perceived" insult, and go our own separate ways. OK?
That's not what I said btw. I said they must be stupider or less well read than the average person if they are impressed by the word meticulous. OP has already stated they are less well read/intelligent than he is, and he doesn't seem more intelligent/well read than the average person, so again, I don't see the problem. Maybe stupider isn't the best word choice because it has a negative connotation, but the intent of my post was to point out I don't think OP is as smart as he thinks he is, not that I'm trying to insult his family, who I don't even know. I have nothing to go on other than the fact that they have trouble with words like inebriated and meticulous, and endocrinologist.

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Most people don't use a diverse lexicon of english words, so if every time they see you, you are spouting off words they need to take a thesaurus out for, they may think you are condescending or pretentious or something. It is an uncommon thing, so first judgements will not be in your favor most of the time.

Think of it like when you talk to someone who understands (example) music theory vs someone who doesn't and so would be unfamiliar with a lot of the lingo. It is off putting to have someone rattle off things you have little understanding of, and can even feel alienating as they don't know how to engage with you.

Fantastic response.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I made this thread asking for opinions, not to be diagonosed with autism by some rude armchair psychologist.
Pretty sure people only asked if you happened to be on the spectrum except this person who supposedly came to your "defense"

But here's my opinion: it has nothing to do with your vocabulary. You're arrogant and think you're smarter than others. The people coming to your defense identify with this, and I can easily see why judging from their posts in this thread. Birds of a feather.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Look, you don't know me, so lets not pretend that I have to agree with you. And frankly I don't. So I'm not sure what you want me to say to you. This is ResetEra, not a committee meeting at Oxford.
You have PROVEN these things via your own responses ITT.

You don't have to agree with me... all you have done is dismiss my points arrogantly and defensively and not engage in any kind of critique. There has been no ROOM for disagreement, lol, you haven't even given us the chance to.

Also this forum is more than adequate to discuss these things, suggesting it's not is more of your weird posturing.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure people only asked if you happened to be on the spectrum except this person who supposedly came to your "defense"

But here's my opinion: it has nothing to do with your vocabulary. You're arrogant and think you're smarter than others. The people coming to your defense identify with this, and I can easily see why judging from their posts in this thread. Birds of a feather.
There's been dozens of threads where the same user gets called out for their pretentious, the last one was this one:

It's crazy how often it happens. lol

Like, just read through these.

rYYq4PPm.jpg

OP
OP
Umbrella Carp

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
You have PROVEN to be those things via your own responses ITT.

You don't have to agree with me... all you have done is dismiss my points arrogantly and defensively and not engage in any kind of critique. There has been no ROOM for disagreement, lol, you haven't even given us the chance to.

How am I supposed to critique something like that right this moment? It is hardly a simple issue clearly. One persons vocabulary is another persons annoyance, even if you didn't mean it that way.

Oct 28, 2017
Welcome to my personal hell as a young adult in Hungary.
Where some 50 year old you just met will get offended if you won't address him/her casually but you must address your university instructor formally even if they're just a couple years older and you even share other classes as students.
Don't even get me started on guessing how to say hi to which cashier based on time of day, their age and gender.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, and it was actually said politely and succinctly.
How am I supposed to critique something like that right this moment? It is hardly a simple issue clearly. One persons vocabulary is another persons annoyance, even if you didn't mean it that way.
You didn't read my posts properly at all.

Again, I don't deserve a response. You're free to ignore them.

Your arrogant dismissal of points and refusal to explore the very thing you asked for feedbacdk on is the issue here.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Some people are actually trying to help you. Maybe you can re-read those posts later, but don't lump us all in with that.

I was gonna say no one actually straight-up said the OP is on the spectrum, but here it is. Wow.
Except they have, more than once if you actually go back and read the thread.

In any event, I'm not accusing the OP of being on the spectrum. (I'm not accusing the OP of anything, as others here are, except of being misunderstood.) I am, however, accusing people of responding out of pique rather than empathy. For why else instantly and automatically judge the OP as some snobbish asshole vs entertaining the possibility that he is neurodivergent? (Ass)umptions are flying right and left in this thread, purely from insecurity, rather than making the tiny effort of putting aside ego for a minute in favor of a little empathy.

IMO, more than a little disingenuous of you, one of the people belittling the OP accusing me, practically the sole poster coming to his defense, of doing same. Not cool. 👎

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean lets be real here. This is a play by play of the thread.

Ask's question about use of language, provides examples that reflect more on social circles intelligence than their own
People tell you as much
Some people (WHO ARE ON THE SPECTRUM AND CAN RECOGNIZE SYMPTOMS) suggest the possibility maybe you could be.
You double down with how superior your average intellect is
Get called out again
Get mad and hostile towards members
Tell mods to lock thread because "attacks" on your families intelligence is somehow worse than you categorizing the masses as low intellect
Get angry and hostile again at people because "ets not pretend that I have to agree with you"

Honestly it seems you wanted your ego stroking for using "inebriated"....

Bad luck I guess. You clearly don't want talk about it.

ClydeBonFrog

Apr 17, 2018
OP how did you think a thread like this was going to go? You had to have some inkling that people were going to be rubbed the wrong way lol

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It's all about context. Who you're speaking to, for what occasion, matters. Spoken and written language are fundamentally different. If you always speak formally, it'll communicate formality. No one will ever get the sense that you feel familiar with them if there isn't some vernacular in there. Uncommon words have more impact if they remain uncommon, used when their difference from the most common phrasing makes some actual impact on meaning beyond just sounding fancy.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
And we've already covered that, but the fact is it also came with critiques of your own infallibility which you didn't like very much at all.
The problem with adding critique is that it can be construed as condescending, and that is not conducive to discussion. I think the OP is smart enough to evaluate his own habits. He just wanted opinions on how it can come across because it is hard to tell some times how you yourself appear to others.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Language isn't really ever good or bad. It's more a question of effectiveness.

academic English is a specialized means of communication that is not effective in many social or informal settings

(I teach college composition)

Oct 25, 2017
It's less about your word choice and more about your tone and presentation. You can speak however as long as you don't come off as awful to be around.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, is it?

Actually, I'm sure in most cases, you read and comprehend just fine. Just not when you're feeling your ego tweaked by how someone happened to awkwardly phrase their remarks.

In any event, I have already addressed your bullshit accusation above.
There's been dozens of threads where the same user gets called out for their pretentious, the last one was this one:

It's crazy how often it happens. lol

Like, just read through these.

rYYq4PPm.jpg
For the record, I don't ever set out to live rent-free in anyone's head. Although it's quite flattering when I manage to anyway, lol.