• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delta Phoenix

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoy getting compliments about my dog, because he is the goodest of boys... even though he can be a stupid jerkface.
So nah, it's not weird. It's nice.

Wired

Nov 2, 2017
No, because dogs are amazing and deserves to hear it at every opportunity possible.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Every day of my life I try to compliment at least one dog. They are good and deserve it.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Nah that's normal OP. I always get people stopping me to say they like my dog. It's cool.

Apart from the one guy that leaned out a taxi and shouted "Yer dugs too small!" at me lol

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever my dog approaches someone on a walk she has a big dumb smile on her face and uncontrollable wags. She is noticeably disappointed if there is no interaction or pets and will give a backwards stare as we pass.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's normal.

Take your dog to PetSmart and you'll get mobbed if you have a unique dog or a cute puppy etc.

My Pug gets too much attention.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly, it's weird that your friends think this is weird

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's as normal to complement stranger's a dog as it is to talk about the weather. But there's still an element where it can be weird to butt into strangers' bubbles no matter how normal the topic.

I have a friend just like the OP who is just always complementing strangers' dogs and you can see on the owners' face how they react. Sometimes it's all good, sometimes it's like "why are you bothering me?" and sometimes it's like "are you trying to pick me up? Pet the dog and fuck off".

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Been walking my puppy for months, and more often than not every person I pass will at least comment, if not stop to pet him or chat.

I'd say your co-workers are pretty damn weird and anti-social.

mrndkra

Oct 25, 2017
Complete strangers stop me all the time to say hell to my dog and give him lovins, which he enjoys too. It is interesting when I'm walking him and I have folks stopping their cars and getting out to say hello, but I do like it since my dog is a people pleaser and loves the attention, so I can't imagine it's too weird. Maybe your coworkers just don't like dogs.

KRaZyAmmo

Oct 25, 2017
No. Our dog Yoshio (Shiba Inu) always get complimented. It's a daily occurrence when he's taken out for a walk.

Oct 27, 2017
The common way to greet a dog is sniffing its ass and then letting it sniff yours. I hope you're meeting your social obligations in this regard, OP.
But no, once in awhile I'll tell someone they have a cool looking dog. It's normal.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Had a malamute and when I was walking with him one day a stranger came up to me to inform me that my dog was the three headed lion of god.

I.. think that's a compliment?

Also, your coworkers sound like assholes

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Joining the chorus.

My parents have a standard poodle. Whenever I walk it she gets compliments.

It's normal.

Nov 26, 2018
Cause I do that shit, and the other day my coworkers gave me crap for it. I like dogs y'all. There are no bad dogs. If I'm walking down the street and I pass someone walking their dog you better believe I say "you have a cute dog" or "hey I like your dog". It's not like I stop on a dime and blurt it out or something. I don't even break my stride fam.

My mates have suggested it might be my delivery. I can't imagine how. It's not like I make it weird or suggestive by going all "yo bro I reaaaaally like your dog 😏". At any rate, I'm told it's not the way I say it, it's the fact that I say it at all.

Anyway, as I said, this character assassination happened a few days ago. I still lay sleepless in bed these nights thinking about that burning question:

Am I weird?
I literally drop everything I'm doing and immediately ask to pet people's dogs, including if I'm in a dress and high heels. You can't keep me away, unless it's a service dog of course, they're working.

Baroque

Oct 25, 2017
If it is then im the worst offender. I have never not complimented a dog. Ill even do it when no one is around to hear it like when im driving past a dog. Dogs are the best, yo.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. When I walked my Danes down the street, couldn't make it more than a few steps without cars pulling over and people crossing the street to pet my dogs. Every day I talked to hundreds of strangers, easily.

A little bit different with Danes compared to most dogs though since they're attention grabbers due to their disposition and size. Can't miss em.

Oct 27, 2017
That's Perfectly normal, all I ask is if you see a great dane don't say "Is that a dog or a horse? hahaha" I hear that at least once every walk and it's never funny.

Hey fellow Dane lover! And yes, that and the saddle comments, how much do they eat/poop queries always get tiring. People act as if it's an original thought lol.

Gotta get this plastered on a shirt if you are owned by Danes.

eaf500e8372683f968e88c918bc2c6d3.jpg

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've seen some awesome fucking dogs and complimented them to their owners.

There are some taken for walks near me that I'd flat out kidnap given half the chance. ;)

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I say hi and pet every single dog I encounter unless it's ugly af.

You legit, OP.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I always tell people their little dogs are cute- because they are.

smokey5604

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
I straight up ask people if I can pet their dogs if they don't look super busy or anything lol so if you are weird than I am a psycho

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I feel it's deeply inappropriate, honestly. You are just disturbing their personal dog-owner relationship. It also just comes across as desperate, like there's no other way for you to find some tail. I mean, what's next? Begging them to pet their dog in public?

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
People do it with strangers kids all the time, why would a dog be any weirder?