• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
THPS1+2 is a Dream Game scenario for me, and I'm as excited for it as I am at the possibilities of Next Gen.

Except... there's seemingly no PS5/XSX version announced. Games like Dirt 5 have no issues being announced for both current & next gen consoles, so why the clear language around THPS only releasing on PS4/Xbox One?

I suspect it's because Pro/One X already run the game at 4K/60 & with BC in the cards they are already going to be "maxed out" and there is no interest in patching the games beyond that. Anyone else find this odd or does this make sense?

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Why would there be when, at least on Xbox, you can straight up just play the damn game no problem?

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I think it's more Activision releasing it where the current install base is and not thinking much beyond that.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that Series X and PS5 are going to play the games at One X/PS4 Pro performance through back compatibility. There's kinda no real "reason" for a next gen version other than for marketing reasons.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
They'll probably get there. The whole next-gen rollout is a total train wreck right now thanks to Our Wonderful Year 2020 so who knows

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Not really since both platforms have confirmed backwards compatibility. If anything there's potential for cross generation features

Blaackstarr

Oct 30, 2017
BC for both consoles. And hopefully there are enhanced in some way. Is it running at 60 fps for the current gen versions?

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I suspect it's because Pro/One X already run the game at 4K/60 & with BC in the cards they are already going to be "maxed out" and there is no interest in patching the games beyond that. Anyone else find this odd or does this make sense?
You answered your own question OP.

I'm nervous about buying the PS4 version though because BC on PS5 sounds a little uncertain.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Even if they will be 100% playable via backwards compatibility you're a fool if you think they won't release next gen versions once the systems are out, those versions aren't announced because they won't release at the same time and they're hoping some uninformed people will double dip.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The purportedly wide support of BC and normalization of enhancements at no additional cost (thanks to the mid-gen upgrades and Microsoft's backwards compatibility initiative) makes me really curious as to how studios/publishers will handle these transitional titles. Doubly so when MS has that Smart Delivery cross-buy thing.

To me as a customer, a separate, paid (non cross-buy) next gen version of a current gen game is really going to have to justify its existence in such a format.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I don't find it odd due to both seemingly embracing robust backwards compatibility and the current gen version kinda feeling like it's 'maxed out' 4K/60fps for current gen (enhanced) consoles already. Base console owners will be able to see the upgrade whenever they move onto next gen via BC.

I suppose they could've potentially targeted higher graphics quality to cater to next gen? But it's not really striking me as odd.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
it isn't. ps5 is fully BC with ps4
When they say this about backwards compatibility it certainly doesn't inspire confidence that I know I'll be able to play Tony Hawk on my PS5 day one.

"With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
When they say this about backwards compatibility it certainly doesn't inspire confidence that I know I'll be able to play Tony Hawk on my PS5 day one.

"With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time."
Xbox made a similar correction but no one seems to talk about it.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Xbox made a similar correction but no one seems to talk about it.

They're talking about OG Xbox, 360, and XB1 games in that tweet. Kind of a big differentiator from Sony who is saying they'll have some PS4 games working on PS5 at launch.

Microsoft has simply made a very vocal and ongoing assurance that backwards compatibility matters to them and is a core of their brand. Sony has not.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017

Microsoft said the same thing after their legal realized that, yes, it might not be wise to say EVERY game from a legal standpoint.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I assume it's just that publisher didn't want to alienate or confuse people into thinking there would be two different versions. Perhaps they're not even sure. Also Sony and MS might request they keep a tight lip for now so they can control the flow of next gen info.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They're talking about OG Xbox, 360, and XB1 games in that tweet. Kind of a big differentiator from Sony who is saying they'll have some PS4 games working on PS5 at launch.

Microsoft has simply made a very vocal and ongoing assurance that backwards compatibility matters to them and is a core of their brand. Sony has not.

No, they're talking about everything. Read the tweet again.

It's literally the same thing Sony said.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017

I doubt you need to worry for something launching so close to the console itself. Usually there are some sort of requirements for platform support for games launching after a certain date so at least basic PS5 support will probably be in. Sony is very close with Activision too

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
UPDATE: A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We're currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

blog.us.playstation.com

Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

logash

Oct 27, 2017

They already clarified that quote though...

With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

Edit: beaten up top with more of the quote.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah? Show me where Sony says they'll have thousands of PS4 games playable on PS5 at launch.

blog.us.playstation.com

Watch live for a deep dive into PS5's system architecture and how it will shape the future of games.

Sony saying they'll have thousands of PS4 games playable on PS5 said:
A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I doubt you need to worry for something launching so close to the console itself. Usually there are some sort of requirements for platform support for games launching after a certain date so at least basic PS5 support will probably be in. Sony is very close with Activision too
If that was true you'd think Sony would just tell us that.

UPDATE: A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We're expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We're currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

blog.us.playstation.com

They already clarified that quote though...

With all of the amazing games in PS4's catalog, we've devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

Edit: beaten up top with more of the quote.
blog.us.playstation.com

Not a single word regarding how many will be playable at launch.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Not really. I don't see many game companies hyping up the PS5 and XSX until they are closer to release. Right now all the focus is still on PS4/XB1.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't know if I'm mistaken or not but I'm pretty sure I heard or read somewhere that Microsoft is working on automatic no dev needed enhanced backwards compatibility for every single game, they said there's nothing confirmed yet but they're trying. There even adding hdr to everything using AI.

I'd imagine most games will just use that. Not every game needs or has the budget for a next gen version. Enhanced BC is the future on both pc and Xbox, I'm sure PlayStation will figure out the same eventually. They already mentioned 100 games being able to use the ps5s extra power to run better.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
If that was true you'd think Sony would just tell us that.

Not a single word regarding how many will be playable at launch.
It was a clarification cause people seriously thought that there would only be 100 games at launch.

Listen, this isnt the first time Sony has done BC and they have never released a product with a low compatibility rate. The PS3 and the PS2 had it. The only reason the PS4 didn't was because of the cell. They go one gen without BC and suddenly they don't know what they're doing.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I mean, they said they'll be testing thousands of the 4,000 games in the lead up to launch.
This is a good point. It would just be nice if they stated they expect to have thousands working at launch. It would also be nice to hear that games I'm buying this summer will work at PS5 launch.

This won't age well just so you know.
A person saying they've made no promises as of May 23rd won't age well? I'm asking for them to be more transparent on this stuff instead it talking vaguely about lots of games eventually working. I don't know how you're interpreting a request for more transparency as me making a prediction.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
blog.us.playstation.com

Not a single word about launch. That's the core difference from MS statement.

I mean, they said they'll be testing thousands of the 4,000 games in the lead up to launch.

Can you point out where it explicitly mentions launch? Available on the machine is not the same as saying available day 1. Sounds more like an intention over a period they'll define later.

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Not a single word about launch. That's the core difference from MS statement.

Can you point out where it explicitly mentions launch? Available on the machine is not the same as saying available day 1. Sounds more like an intention with no timeline.
fsdfafbab.png

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost predictable how easily threads go to complete and utter shit on the gaming side these days. You fuckers can't help yourselves.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I would prefer if there's not 2 different versions for every game, just patch them.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
One would assume that any game being designed for consoles these days is taking the PC approach of forward compatibility. The games will be designed to take advantage of more powerful hardware with stuff like dynamic resolutions and uncapped framerates etc...

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I could see them doing a PS5/XSX patch if they release DLC for it, but other than that they would probably just put all their effort into the next game, which would be next gen exclusive (hopefully).

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I could see them doing a PS5/XSX patch if they release DLC for it, but other than that they would probably just put all their effort into the next game, which would be next gen exclusive (hopefully).

That's like... the worst possible case scenario. Ideally if you like THPS you'd want 1 client, cross gen, cross platform, with all the levels coming to it in waves.