• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
According to this video, Capcom originally intended for Code Veronica to be the third numbered entry of the series, while RE3 would remain a spinoff (i.e. a tie-in to RE2). But pressure to capitalize on RE2 meant they had to reverse that and release an RE3 sooner, so it became Nemesis as that was quicker to develop.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it seems like it would make sense.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The title is true at least, but the way I hear it Sony was the one that pushed RE3 name on PS1.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
They basically used RE3 as a stepping stone to bridge the gap and Code Veronica was supposed to be one of the Dreamcasts exclusives but eventually got ported obviously to every platform ever.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, that's a common myth. I believe Project Umbrella did extensive research that showed that RE3 was designed as side story, but in the end they made it RE3 to fit the trilogy into one system, and the original RE3 was scrapped and the team moved on to RE4 for the PS2. Code Veronica was never meant to be RE3.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The official story is No, but RE3 feels 100% like a spin off & not a true sequel, more like a side grade (you can dodge now & have proto QTE's) while CV is the true next gen game & sequel, story wise RE3 is pointless, while CV follows up with RE2.
Of course RE3 is the better game so it works out for the best anyway.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It kind of makes sense because the mechanics of RE3 is more advanced than Code: Veronica. In CV, you still need to press the action button just to go up or down stairs. Zombies can't go up and down stairs either.

Oct 25, 2017
No.

After Resident Evil 2, Capcom began work on a lot of RE titles for various platforms. Code Veronica for Dreamcast, RE0 for N64, RE3 for PS2, and a PS1 game set around the same time as RE2.

During development they made the decision to change the name of the PS1 title to RE3, either because it had become more integral to the plot or because it seemed neater to have three numbered titles on PS1...probably a mix of both. So RE3 was elevated to full numbered title and the PS2 project became RE4.

So RE3 didn't start off as 3. The myth is right about that. But CV was never meant to be 3 either.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
RE3 was more innovative than Code Veronica, it had the new moves, the ability to make ammo, random encounters and destructible environments. Code Veronica? We finally made a new camera and added a character we had to change in other releases because he was based on Leonardo DiCaprio.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I am pretty sure DMC started as 4 but Kamiya wanted to do his own new thing and those early footages looked kind of lame despite the supernatural element or whatever it was supposed to be.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
No.

After Resident Evil 2, Capcom began work on a lot of RE titles for various platforms. Code Veronica for Dreamcast, RE0 for N64, RE3 for PS2, and a PS1 game set around the same time as RE2.

During development they made the decision to change the name of the PS1 title to RE3, either because it had become more integral to the plot or because it seemed neater to have three numbered titles on PS1...probably a mix of both. So RE3 was elevated to full numbered title and the PS2 project became RE4.

So RE3 didn't start off as 3. The myth is right about that. But CV was never meant to be 3 either.
This. And that version of RE4 eventually turned into Devil May Cry.

Also, Capcom didn't even develop Code Veronica, it was outsourced to Nextech and Tose, so I don't know where that rumour came from. Console wars I guess?

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Capcom pretty much let Sega make Code Veronica themselves while flagship still had creative control, feels like Capcom never intended for it to be RE3.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the myth really comes from the fact that Capcom green lit multiple mainline Resident Evil projects at the same time (1998). I mean, Code Veronica, Resident Evil 0, Resident Evil Gaiden, Resident Evil 3 (later RE4, later DMC) all started development around this time and that's a lot. Makes sense why some might have been confused about the development history.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
If I remember correctly, on the Retronauts episode covering the first three numbered games in the RE franchise, Sony and Capcom had a publishing deal and that's why Capcom turned it into RE3.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
According to this video, Capcom originally intended for Code Veronica to be the third numbered entry of the series, while RE3 would remain a spinoff (i.e. a tie-in to RE2). But pressure to capitalize on RE2 meant they had to reverse that and release an RE3 sooner, so it became Nemesis as that was quicker to develop.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it seems like it would make sense.

It was very True.
You can tell Nemesis was a side project from the beginning. The production for Veronica was just on another level in comparison to Nemesis.

Even the Creator confirmed Veronica to be the real RE3.
You don't need any additional "sources"

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It was very True.
You can tell Nemesis was a side project from the beginning. The production for Veronica was just on another level in comparison to Nemesis.

Even the Creator confirmed Veronica to be the real RE3.
You don't need any additional "sources"
But it's not the "real 3." CV was never going to be 3. 3 was in development by Kamiya and his team fresh off RE2, but during the development shift from PS1 to PS2 it was ultimately cancelled with the team instead being moved on to RE4 development (which eventually morphed into Devil May Cry). Last Escape/Nemesis, a side-title, was then reworked into 3.

So yes, while you can say 3 isn't the true 3, you can't say CV was either. The true 3 was cancelled.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know until this thread that CV wasn't developed by Capcom. That makes a lot of sense now. Tho the same "ghost developer" seems to have made Revelations 1, which I loved, so good on 'em.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
From what I remember from back in the day is that Veronica got announced first, Sony didn't like it and pushed Capcom to get a real sequel which ended up being released first. Of course, that just from what I remember.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The X in the thread title bothers me so much. That wasn't even the original version of CV so it makes literally no sense as-is.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
One was a largely inconsequential side story, the other was a next-gen showcase that directly continued the mainline plot.

I don't see how you can argue that CVX isn't the true/defacto RE3 unless you really hate CVX and don't want to give it mainline prestige.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
CODE: Veronica was never meant to be either Resident Evil 3 or Resident Evil 4.

The closest truth to such a rumor was that CV was certainly meant to be the third mainline entry in the series (RE1 -> RE2 -> CV) in terms of story, but it never had a number attached to it.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
The original Resident Evil 3 on PS1 morphed into Resident Evil 4 on PS2 which morphed into Devil May Cry

RE development cycles are always fascinating

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
One was a largely inconsequential side story

It wasn't inconsequential. RE3 blew up Raccoon City, continued the story of Jill Valentine, and gave updates on every major character from the trilogy. Plus it's a great game, and that's the most important thing, not how much it strokes lore boners.

I don't see how you can argue that CVX isn't the true/defacto RE3

Because it isn't RE3, it was never RE3, and it's never going to be RE3. It's Code Veronica, and that's okay. Numbers aren't that important.

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
BcT6gYK.png

Here's a handy guide that's mostly accurate (there's an extra BIO4 version there that shouldn't be there and it wasn't that Bio3 was taking too long for Last Escape to turn into what it did)

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But it's not the "real 3." CV was never going to be 3. 3 was in development by Kamiya and his team fresh off RE2, but during the development shift from PS1 to PS2 it was ultimately cancelled with the team instead being moved on to RE4 development (which eventually morphed into Devil May Cry). Last Escape/Nemesis, a side-title, was then reworked into 3.

So yes, while you can say 3 isn't the true 3, you can't say CV was either. The true 3 was cancelled.

I want to trust what the director of the games say. I also want to trust that the story that "actually" moved the story forward with the Redfields and Wesker was the true sequel. But I understand if some don't feel that way.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
BcT6gYK.png

Here's a handy guide that's mostly accurate (there's an extra BIO4 version there that shouldn't be there and it wasn't that Bio3 was taking too long for Last Escape to turn into what it did)
Yep, this chart aligns with what I know with the exception of the two errors you already mentioned; RE4 Castle/Fog and Hallucination/Hookman were the same version and Last Escape became 3 due to 3's cancellation due to PS1 to PS2 development. Only other thing is Demento/Haunting Ground also used more than just script from RE4 Castle, it used assets and the mechanic of a girl with a companion (it was a BOW in RE4 Castle, changed to a dog in Demento), but I guess that could be considered script as well?

It's really crazy to think that Resident Evil 4's development birthed so many games.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Code Veronica felt more like a sequel than a side story because it was a direct continuation of where RE2 left off and had some pretty bold plot twists and character arcs. To some extent it moved the plot forward more than RE3 and even RE4 did for sure, though it's still debatable if all that momentum was in a good direction.

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
The official story is No, but RE3 feels 100% like a spin off & not a true sequel, more like a side grade (you can dodge now & have proto QTE's) while CV is the true next gen game & sequel, story wise RE3 is pointless, while CV follows up with RE2.

One could argue that the single most important event in RE mythology is the destruction of Raccoon City. Guess in which game that happened. Not to mention that telling what happened with a major character of the series who was trapped in the city is also meaningful... and the epilogues. The "nothing happened" criticism doesn't support itself.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
One could argue that the single most important event in RE mythology is the destruction of Raccoon City. Guess in which game that happened. Not to mention that telling what happened with a major character of the series who was trapped in the city is also meaningful... and the epilogues. The "nothing happened" criticism doesn't support itself.

Absolutely.

Then we gotta add Jill's contribution to Uroborus because of what had happened to her in 3.

Oct 28, 2017
Code Veronica felt more like a sequel than a side story because it was a direct continuation of where RE2 left off and had some pretty bold plot twists and character arcs. To some extent it moved the plot forward more than RE3 and even RE4 did for sure, though it's still debatable if all that momentum was in a good direction.
Yeah Code Veronica was pretty bold alright....

FATTHHEEEEEEERRRRRR

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Some elements of RECV have not held up as well but I can't understand people calling it trash. I bought it day one on Dreamcast and it was fucking amazing.