• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
yes he could, hell monolithsoft did, a skeleton crew can absolutely make a game that is NOT an excuse, or you know focused his kh team who were making spinoff for him over to making versus since versus was supposed to use kh combat. he had options. your hatred of 13 doesn't change the guy could have done it. kh3 and ff7r show he could have done it. he didn't. 13 may have caused a small issue but it absolutely did not put development of versus on hold that was nomura. he could have made the game if he wanted on the scale he wanted to with the team he had if he wanted to.
"Small issue" 😂😂😂
He couldn't have. Otherwise he would've. Versus 13 was crippled for most of it's development. They had issues, but most unquestionably stemmed from 13.

The defense force for arguably the worst entry in the series (yes, even worse than 15), is laughable at best. I'm glad it's dead and I'm happy that era seems to be over and done with.

Like with all FF's, it had it's time. I'll happily move on to FF16. Let's all hope it's what this franchise has needed since FF10.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I can't believe there are still people who think there was more than just concepts of Versus 13. If there was more to it than what there was, it wouldn't have been altered so drastically the way it was to get 15 out the door.

Lightning Returns came out Nov 2013.

FF15 came out in Nov 2016.

Three whole years that could have been used now that the "wasted resources" on 13 was consolidated into the "Versus 13" team. There obviously wasn't much there because I believe it was a trailer in 2014 that started to show that 15 would become a totally different product.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
then it still wasn't 13's fault that versus still didn't come out. It the new engine they kept trying to push. but still nomura is still partly to blame for this, he could have done more than basically a concept and a few cg trailers by the time he was eventually pushed aside. there was barely anything there. and nomura even admitted himself that he is perfectionist which is why it takes him so long to develop games. if he doesn't like something he has who ever did go back and redo it. saying 13 was the biggest issue when it was likely mostly the luminous engine is wrong
Perhaps if it was nomura who demanded the creation of a new engine, then that might be a stronger argument but I don't actually know if that was his initiative or not tbh. It was just that crystal tools was not versatile and that is why it's since been abandoned most likely.

There's nothing wrong with being a perfectionist. Even with that idiosyncrasy he still managed to crank out ffviir in five years which is a pretty average time, even with a shift of teams. And most importantly, it was good. When he gets the appropriate resources, project completion doesn't seem to be much of an issue. I don''t think it's really debatable that the resource intensive process of funding 13 project really crippled production of other games, both in available resources and limiting nature of game design allowed. If the result of that process is a limiting scope of what you're allowed to make from a design stand point, that to me does not put nomura solely at at fault. it's probably a little of both, and more heavily leaning toward upper management, prioritizing a vision of 13 at whatever the cost.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love for a proper remaster, if only to be able to replay FFXIII-2 and LR.

How many years did it take him to release kh3 since kh2,
He also got Birth by Sleep, Re:coded, 358/2 Days, Dream Drop Distance, and three HD collections out the door. Numbered titles are irrelevant to prove that he's a bad director when he has provided almost yearly releases since 2005.

hell how many years since it was announced to be in development.
Under 6, yes. But in late 2014 they swapped their entire engine and that wasn't resolved until December 2014. 4 years late and the game had gone gold, which is pretty much the standard for an AAA release these days, and then he got FFVIIR out the door a year later.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather they spend that time and resources on something else.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
I can't believe people are against the possibility of others being able to play the game again (or for the first time in my case) on modern consoles (switch, playstation)

We get it, y'all don't like it, you don't have to play it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe people are against the possibility of others being able to play the game again (or for the first time in my case) on modern consoles other than Xbox.

I think MOST people here are at least half joking. The rerelease will absolutely happen at some point. You can bet on that.

Honestly, there are some parts of Final Fantasy XIII that are genuinely pretty cool. Especially the battle engine. Unfortunately, it takes an excruciating amount of time for that battle engine to actually fully open up.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I'd just rather play something else first, like 4-6 updates.

I mean, I would too, but.... no one is giving the caveat of "XIII remaster will come at the cost of no remasters of 4-6". If Square put some effort into 4-6 and advertised they were doing so, I would be totally behind that too!

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I mean, I would too, but.... no one is giving the caveat of "XIII remaster will come at the cost of no remasters of 4-6". If Square put some effort into 4-6 and advertised they were doing so, I would be totally behind that too!
I guess I just assume that there's only so much to go around for these type of projects. I'm down either way, excitement about remasters will help beget more revamp projects. Not my first choice though.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Like with all FF's, it had it's time. I'll happily move on to FF16. Let's all hope it's what this franchise has needed since FF10.

This line confsues me. What has the franchise been missing since FF10 that it "needs" to get back? Because since then we've had:

FF11: an MMO that is surprisingly still running with a dedicated user base, despite being only just a little bit younger than 10.
FF12: A game that, despite my personal indifference towards, has a dedicated set of fans who believe THIS was the pinnacle game of the series and after THIS where the franchise started to decline.
FF13: A dedicated group of fans, as proven by this thread. Most likely introduced a new set of fans to the series, being the first FF released for a new generation.
FF14: A massively successful MMO that is argued to have THE best story of the franchise's history.
FF15: A huge open world RPG that (again, despite my own personal dislike for) introduced a new set of fans to the series, again most likely due to it being the first mainline FF to be released on a new generation of consoles.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really get the comments saying there is no demand when the games got not one but 2 sequels, more than any other FF. I get they needed to dampen the development cost of the first one, but if the series had been as unpopular as some people here like to suggest, I doubt they would have made 3 games with the same protagonists and world.

In any case, I've been wanting to replay the trilogy. I've only ever played them on PS3, now I'm planning to play them on PC.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe there are still people who think there was more than just concepts of Versus 13. If there was more to it than what there was, it wouldn't have been altered so drastically the way it was to get 15 out the door.

no you don't get it, this thing that exists in my mind is 1000 times better than that real thing and you literally cannot prove me wrong

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Please make sure you all buy the eventual remasters so that I can get my FFXIII-4: Lightning Settles Down in the Country Side and Also There Are Cars Now
EshHkfHVcAAJDmh

EshC_7cUUAApFlo

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
These are older games than you think. Final Fantasy XIII in particular is 14 years, 4 months old. Many games have received remasters far more quickly than that.

Wouldn't mind picking the trilogy up for Switch if it was announced at the Direct tomorrow.
I was referring to the visuals. I feel like it's aged really well visually. A sharper U.I. would be nice and I'm sure a remaster could do a locked 60fps no sweat

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
I didn't love FF13, but I did like it and would gladly play it again. Never got a chance to play the two later games, so it would be great to have all three playable on modern hardware. Also, Lightning is cool, I don't care what people say.

And yeah, I know I could technically play it on my PC. The thing is that PC is really strongly associated with work in my mind and I don't really enjoy playing games on it anymore. : \

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
This line confsues me. What has the franchise been missing since FF10 that it "needs" to get back? Because since then we've had:

FF11: an MMO that is surprisingly still running with a dedicated user base, despite being only just a little bit younger than 10.
FF12: A game that, despite my personal indifference towards, has a dedicated set of fans who believe THIS was the pinnacle game of the series and after THIS where the franchise started to decline.
FF13: A dedicated group of fans, as proven by this thread. Most likely introduced a new set of fans to the series, being the first FF released for a new generation.
FF14: A massively successful MMO that is argued to have THE best story of the franchise's history.
FF15: A huge open world RPG that (again, despite my own personal dislike for) introduced a new set of fans to the series, again most likely due to it being the first mainline FF to be released on a new generation of consoles.
You're right, I forgot about 12 (arguably the last great SP-entry), but yes 12, 14 and to some extent 15 are good entries and I say this not having been able to play 14, sadly. The word of mouth and roaring success is enough to believe it though.

FF15 was ambitious as hell, but as we all know, had development issues... Most FF fans know the history behind it. I bet a lot of the fans buying it, were buying it in hopes to get some of that initial promise of Versus 13, but it failed to deliver on it (was incredibly succesful though).

It was nowhere near the critical darling that prior FF's had been (not unlike 13). Ironically chapter XIII almost made me want to toss the game out of my window. One of the worst sections in a game that I have ever played. The story was rubbish too.

FFX was a perfect storm though. It was a next-gen entry, introduced voice-acting, moved the series forward, had an engaging story oh and it was incredibly successful and beloved by critics and fans. FFXII came out at the tail-end of the PS2 generation, so I wasn't as impressed by it.

I guess it's that... I want to be impressed again. I want a next-gen open-world with lessons learned from FFXV (and contributions from the FFXIV development) with an engaging, interesting story and gameplay/game design that moves the series forward. A return to the Golden Era (which Square themselves have acknowledged exists).

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I keep trying to say this, but it never has any effect...

Some people seem to subconsciously believe that Versus XIII was secretly some awesome, near-finished game with a great story and completed assets, etc., and that Square just decided to mess it up for shits and giggles. I doubt there was actually much more to Versus XIII beyond what was made for its few trailers.

I'd rather if they didn't use resources at SE to remaster this.
Well you're in luck, cause they haven't done that for pretty much any of their remasters/ports. Almost all of them have been outsourced, either to Virtuos (for remasters), various UK studios (for many of the ports), or a bunch of other small external studios elsewhere.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I knew i was going to regret clicking on this thread. As if a remaster collection is going to hoard a ton of resources.

So many era posters are in such a bubble that they probably think XII outsold XIII.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I looked for it after a recent thread on XIII-2 and was surprised it didn't exist. I'd buy it for XIII-2 alone. Hell, even XIII would be great if they just went back and changed the pace at which the battle system opens up.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'd rather they put their resources into remastering better games, like Vagrant Story or Final Fantasy Tactics.

Although XIII-2 was good at least.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. We got pc ports. They aren't going to waste manpower on remastering these the demand probably isn't there and its a period SE probably wants to forget about

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I looked for it after a recent thread on XIII-2 and was surprised it didn't exist. I'd buy it for XIII-2 alone. Hell, even XIII would be great if they just went back and changed the pace at which the battle system opens up.
It would be pretty sweet if they removed having to unlock new levels of the Crystarium through story progression, but then they'd have to basically rebalance all of the encounters.

One of the things I really appreciate about FFXIII is that the game can be pretty freaking challenging at times. I got a Game Over playing FFXIII way more times than I did during my Persona 5 playthrough, but FFXIII makes it more manageable by giving you the option to "Retry", which basically rewinds time to right before the encounter started. That way you don't really lose any major progress and you can just try different strategies.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there is no real demand for such games to be remastered. If you pay attention, they are going out of their way to avoid those. They remaster everything else even TWEWY but that.

How can you go out of your way to NOT remaster something?

"Hey Bill, I'm going to need you to go out of your way and head down to the Final Fantasy Remaster plant.They just got done with FF12, and FF13 is on the conveyor belt. I know it's going to cost our company a lot of time and resources to stop this remaster from happening, but it's really important you do so."

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
They can't even be bothered to rerelease one of their best games ever, Final Fantasy Tactics. Why would they bother with Final Fantasy XIII?

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I keep trying to say this, but it never has any effect...

Some people seem to subconsciously believe that Versus XIII was secretly some awesome, near-finished game with a great story and completed assets, etc., and that Square just decided to mess it up for shits and giggles. I doubt there was actually much more to Versus XIII beyond what was made for its few trailers.

I kinda get it. I really REALLY liked what was teased in all those trailers. But I've long since come to terms that's all there really was. Some bones were there, because we see so much similarities to 15, but there wasn't much.....otherwise we would have gotten a completely different game than what 15 turned out to be.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Did War of the Lions drop the ball or butcher Tactics in some way that I missed out on?
No, they made the game better. But that game is stuck on the psp. The only way to play it on a modern system, is through your phone. I just can't play games for an extended period of time on a phone. I'd legit pay full price for a rerelease version on modern systems. I doubt I'll get a sequel, so I'll take a rerelease of the original.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
No, they made the game better. But that game is stuck on the psp. The only way to play it on a modern system, is through your phone. I just can't play games for an extended period of time on a phone. I'd legit pay full price for a rerelease version on modern systems. I doubt I'll get a sequel, so I'll take a rerelease of the original.

I knew that WotL released on mobile, so I assumed it was put on Steam as well. My bad on that lol That sucks

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Did War of the Lions drop the ball or butcher Tactics in some way that I missed out on?
I love War of the Lions, but frankly there's no definitive version.

The PS1 version had the awful script.
The PSP version had bad slowdown.
The mobile version had horrible touch controls and timing issues with the animations and sound effects.

What we need is a proper remaster, for the big screen.

How can you go out of your way to NOT remaster something?

"Hey Bill, I'm going to need you to go out of your way and head down to the Final Fantasy Remaster plant.They just got done with FF12, and FF13 is on the conveyor belt. I know it's going to cost our company a lot of time and resources to stop this remaster from happening, but it's really important you do so."
As in they are aware of how badly the games are perceived. It's damn near devil may cry 2 tier