• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
One thing I noticed to be increasingly anoying are splash screens and intro movie presenting the studio, the engine and the publisher when a game launch. It's was fine when it was skippable, but more and more you have to sit through them every time (looking at you Gears 5 and Doom Eternal).

With the integration of high speed storage on next gen consoles, it seems the splash screens and intro movie are actualy slowing down the launch time.

I'm all for advertising the developers and technology that made the game you're gonna play, but surely there is a better way ?

PS : I'm not CinemaSins.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
They will still be there when you cold boot.
Activity Cards and Quick Resume(and whatever PS5's equivalent is) will be the way to avoid them.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
They will still be there when you cold boot.
Activity Cards and Quick Resume(and whatever PS5's equivalent is) will be the way to avoid them.
Well, and being a first party, given how Miles Morales doesn't have them (according to GB, it has them at random boots, which is super weird lol)

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I think they will be integrated more into main menus. I feel like it's kind of a good thing to see a dev title card when booting a game (dunno if I need all the third party software though).

Oct 25, 2017
They should certainly show the dev logos and teams involved on first bootup, no question. A dev's job is already thankless enough as it is.

I suppose after the initial boot, it should skip straight to the main menu. But quick resume just drops you right into the game anyway, so I honestly almost never see logos again if I'm just playing one title.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
IMO the splash screen and dev content would be best merged into the intro/opening scenes/levels of games. Movies have been putting early credits type content into their work for a long time. No need for separate screens.

Example- opening of Spiderman has him walking down a busy city street. Dev and splash screens are integrated into backgrounds; on walls of buildings, sides of trucks, etc.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
One thing i do on PC games is to find the intro movies and rename them. Works a charm on most titles

Aug 30, 2020
One thing I noticed to be increasingly anoying are splash screens and intro movie presenting the studio, the engine and the publisher when a game launch. It's was fine when it was skippable, but more and more you have to sit through them every time (looking at you Gears 5 and Doom Eternal).

With the integration of high speed storage on next gen consoles, it seems the splash screens and intro movie are actualy slowing down the launch time.

I'm all for advertising the developers and technology that made the game you're gonna play, but surely there is a better way ?

PS : I'm not CinemaSins.

These things have never hidden load times. They will remain, just as they remain on PC. Like others say, on PC if you remove the files you instantly go into the game / loading.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
there fine. its like 5 seconds
What games are you playing? I booted up Fallen Order earlier today and it's like 30-40 seconds. Can't wait for them to be gone.

I'd be okay if you only see them the very first time you start the game. And then on every subsequent startup, it just goes straight to menu. People were theorizing that's how Miles Morales works, but I don't know if anyone's confirmed it yet.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Let developers be proud of their critical darling/digital abomination.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Engine and other middleware logos are contractually obligated to be shown in the intro. so they're likely not going to go away.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i bet we'll start seeing alternatives to start up screens like middleware/developer logos being incorporated into the main menu screen.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Squish all the mandatory stuff into one screen and let us play the game. I wanna be able to go to the main menu this quickly:

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
These things have never hidden load times. They will remain, just as they remain on PC. Like others say, on PC if you remove the files you instantly go into the game / loading.
Not always, some games of you remove them, they will still play black screen at the same duration of the removed clip.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
But how else would you know if they used Wwise? I mean, you would wouldn't want people to think you used FMOD on a non racing game like dirty poors, or worse the built in audio in Unreal 4.

Last edited:

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
These will be seen rarely by a lot of Series X/S users I'd imagine

At the moment my rotation of games on Xbox is like 4 or so. On Series X these will all quick resume to a point after these screens

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I actually like them, especially if they are themed to fit the game. They can set the stage very well.
I just hate it when they are too long.

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate those things, if you're interested in those you can press "credits" or look it up, they're completely useless, it is very rare that you don't know who made a game.

Spider-Man only has them the first time you boot the game up. Otherwise it's straight to the main menu, even from a cold boot.
I'm eternally thankful for that, once is more than enough. I hope this gets widely adopted.

Jeepman87

Sep 16, 2020
the folks who poured blood sweat and tears into the project are entitled to put their intro/company name at the beginning of the game's cold boot and in the credits. It's fine.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Killzone Shadowfall was ahead of its time.
Took a lot of work to get that done IIRC.