• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. In fact, the next time he sees a PS executive in person, he should offer to fight them right there and then.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Like do you really think someone in the position of Phil Spencer needs tips on how to do his job or if he's doing his job well from random posters on the ResetEra message boards?
People here think that these companies are lurking on Era all day every day with some of the things I see posted like "Thanks [Company]!" in response to a sale or a free game or information released.

Apr 16, 2020
If by being more aggressive you mean fire Xbox's PR department, then I would agree.
Otherwise, no. He has come a long way by being level headed.

I do really think the PR department should go, though. Whenever Phil has said something palatable in an interview, the PR folks are there to destroy any goodwill his words generated by causing confusion and/or directly contradict him, all whilst being distasteful and annoying. I feel insulted by what they think they can get away with.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
The only thing I want Phil aggressive in is investing in their Internal studios and letting 343 and the Coalition make new IPs despite being built for Halo and Gears. Playground are known for FH and they're on Fable now. Let 343 and Coalition get a second team going too and let them run wild.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Warriors out in full blast this week because........war.....war never changes.

5b9orpN.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, maybe this thread's misguided. I have no idea what Phil's doing behind the scenes, just what he shows us in public, and I really like how genuine and humble he comes across as.

I have thread-maker's remorse. The mods can close it if they want.
if you want it closed, i'd recommend reporting your own opening post to say you would like to see the thread closed

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Why would he limit himself to a style that only caters to fanboys? The future of Xbox is clearly going in the opposite direction.

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
wasn't this exactly microsofts' approach throughout the first 2 iterations of the xbox? & isn't this exactly the approach that, half-way through this gen, ms decided to abandon? because it wasn't working?...

I mean, they went from getting destroyed sales wise to taking a very significant portion of marketshare from xbox to 360.

It definitely worked at the time because they had the right console, tons of amazing games and aggresive deals with third party.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
COD marketing deal does what for MS now? Sell a few more boxes in the US and that's it. Complete waste of money.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't even make sense...no gamer or publisher of gonna support your plattform because of a more aggressive attitude.

We don't need this BS right now, especially with all 3 plattform holders doing very well for themselves.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer is doing what he needs to do.

His allowing me to choose how and where I want to play my Xbox games. We've already seen a marked improvement in the Japanese game support

The general tone around video games needs to change and I'm glad his not delving into the slime pit. Just to feed manbabies the ammo for a console 'war'

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
That's quite a take, OP.
Microsoft lost the big "casual" partnerships, because they came out with a weaker box that cost more. That, as well as all the opening flubs cost them the initial market leadership.

Spencer's working to fix all that. Most importantly (from where i'm standing), he managed to turn around Microsoft's disastrous image among PC gamers. With franchises like Freelancer, age of Empires, FlightSim that should have always been Microsoft's market- yet up until recently, they kept doing their best to alienate it.

Spencer turned that around-with Play anywhere, followed by GamePass, followed by bringing 80% of first-party catalogue to Steam. (Bringing back Age of Empires helped, too) Microsoft can count on PC dollars now, and they're gonna see high adoption rates for GamePass.

On top of that, they've got Xcloud, a stable of amazing studios, and a powerful box. While Sony is focusing on their "core" console crowd and the number of boxes sold, Microsoft is very clearly saying "we don't care where you use your services, it's all money to us" . And in the long term, I'm pretty sure that'll pan out. They may not be the "market leader" on number of consoles sold, but they'll have a wider audience. And if they get a wider paying audience, then the big "casual" giants will follow.

Tl:Dr Spencer has been very purposefully rewriting what the Xbox market is- successfully. Let him continue, and the competitors' dominance in the home console market will soon cease to be relevant.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I mean, they went from getting destroyed sales wise to taking a very significant portion of marketshare from xbox to 360.

It definitely worked at the time because they had the right console, tons of amazing games and aggresive deals with third party.

and not to mentioned the flub that is the PS3 launch....that is an important part.

However, them rushing to market to beat the PS3 launch also results in less QA and thus the (in)famous RROD.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The only aggressive thing that Phil can do is pricing the Xbox aggressively.

This generation is a marathon not a race. It's also possible for multiple companies to "win".

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
How has he not been aggressive?
Bought a ton of high caliber studios
Going nuts with Game Pass
Will have the most powerful next gen console

I think it's unfortunate that Sony is paying for third party exclusivity and I don't want Microsoft to go down that path again so I think it's good they're not doing that at this point. I'd wish Sony knock that shit off though. If that's what we're considering aggressive behavior, they can fuck right off with that.
Right.

Get more aggressive? They've already been plenty aggressive.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Contrary to what some posters on ResetEra think, this isn't a sport. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all have their own plans and strategies and they stick to them.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
Behind him, MS has bought many studious working on their first party, GP is a success So far for them, he has been very open as far as development for next gen and He along with Nadella are releasing a 12 TF beastly console in like 5-6 months.

I think he has been pretty damn aggressive.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
If they keep buy and developing new studios they will be fine. The problem this gen was Xbox didn't groom their first party studios well enough. It seems like that has changed. Their business model is great so going forward they should see lots of success. I dont think they'll ever surpass Nintendo or Sony worldwide in terms of brand and mindshare but they will be very successful in EU and US. I think each console should have their own approach to gaming and that's what is playing out.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Why are you all overreacting? MS had one PR stumble last week after >6 months of positive PR and rollout of XSX info. Sony had a good week, sure, but that doesn't wipeout all the good Phil Spencer has done will rolling out consistent XSX info. One bad week of PR for Xbox and one good week of PR for PlayStation is not that serious.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Xbox is going to have an Xbox fans dream blowout in July guaranteed. The worrying being done right now is hilarious

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019

so you feel that we've now somehow returned back to that time? because, apparently, phil doesn't know something you seem to know...

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I agree. Sony money hats it's way into COD exclusive content, Destiny exclusive content, etc, Final Fantasy VII remaster, etc. I don't necessarily want that out of XBOX, but there's no point in just standing there and taking it if you keep getting punched in the mouth. All these folks preaching kumbaya on here also own a PlayStation for the shitty reasons and cosign that practice when they buy the machine and validate their strategy.

Can you articulate that a little better because "do your role" makes no sense.

Maybe people also own a PlayStation because they aren't console warriors like you seem to be.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Him acting like a fanboy would be embarrassing.

He's doing a great job. No reason to change it just so some people can feel validated about their purchase.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This is always so simplistic and unimaginative. Guess what, I am not a captain of a boat but I bet I could give a couple of pointers to the guy steering the Titanic.

It's simplistic because the 'advice' to the captain is always 'don't steer into icebergs, yo'. Xbox is not Titantic becuase Aaron Greenberg gets your goat, ffs.

Cheers for that, says cap'n. It's built on narrative that has the attention-span of a gnat, and continually ignores/downplays/elides the key moves: actual investment. Because Aaron Greenberg is a bit cringe sometimes. Zomg iceberg ahoy.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
One of the weirdest things by far that occurs on this forum is how obsessed people are with these companies' marketing strategies when we are the audience for whom marketing matters the least. We are a captive audience. They don't really have to work that hard for our attention or loyalty or money, to be honest.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Maybe people also own a PlayStation because they aren't console warriors like you seem to be.

So people own PlayStation because they're not console warriors. What does that mean?

When is competition and competing on equal ground seen as bad?

It's simplistic because the 'advice' to the captain is always 'don't steer into icebergs, yo'. Xbox is not Titantic becuase Aaron Greenberg gets your goat, ffs.

Cheers for that, says cap'n.

Yeah, I'm sure you have no feedback for our politicians right? Because they're in a position of authority there is no way we could potentially offer criticism or alternative strategies...

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
He really shouldn't be so supine about it, he should be a bit pissed off and driven to do something in response that specifically serves his customers.
Uh....this right hear doesn't sound good to me to be honest

This sounds like you want him to get fanboys riled up.

I like Phil's demeanor, and I hope it doesn't change.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I know, I think Doug Bowser and the head of Sony feels the same, but they stay quiet uuntil after the presentation. Don't get me wrong, he's doing his role as boss well, It's just the expectations he sets when he open his mouth that he needs to control.

He talks to Xbox fans, don't people want game companies to be more open ?? Its also his job to hype his own show, the heads of the other companies don't tend to communicate on twitter or even interact with people really.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not, he's been on point, now let's see the goods in July.

Feels like Xbox SX is going to be the finest console MS has put out, and that's down to his vision and his team.

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
Kind off. It seems there's a lot of misleading marketing regarding console's power and everything points that Series X is going to be the strongest.

Game pass is a great service and deserves better marketing too.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Of course it's a war. Ask Zune owners. Ask Windows Phone owners. It's a war and if you don't play it well you go to bye bye. Business is competition. You don't need to be an ass about it but you have to compete.

Are you really questioning whether Xbox is competing? Did you skip the last 2 years?

If anyone is seriously worried about Xbox, they should take a break through August at least.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Yeah, their jobs are to secure partnerships, expand their market, and make sure the company is running well.

Tell me, how does Spencer hyping stuff have helped them? He has done a terrific job doing the things I listed, but him hyping stuff have lead fans for dissapointment.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I like what Xbox is doing. They've made a lot of great changes under Phil. All they really need is good pricing and good 1st party games imo. They'll get marketing deals throughout the generation even if its not COD or something.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
He talks to Xbox fans, don't people want game companies to be more open ?? Its also his job to hype his own show, the heads of the other companies don't tend to communicate on twitter or even interact with people really.

Yeah, their jobs are to secure partnerships, expand their market, and make sure the company is running well.

Tell me, how does Spencer hyping stuff have helped them? He has done a terrific job doing the things I listed, but him hyping stuff have lead fans for disappointment.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Because he's pushing a collection of products and services across console and PC, I think he's being aggressive enough where he needs to be. Persuaded me to buy a One X and years worth of Game Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.