• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is what I mean by "in-house".

EoHss7WXMAAL6bP

Refer to the section above "Subsidiaries", though Dark Samus, Diddy, & King K. Rool would also be fair game since they're fully Nintendo-owned.
For real, I would be okay with it being limited to that first pocket, particularly if it meant every second character wasn't from Fire Emblem (it would be fun to have a character or two from FE with an FE track though).

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MK has been pretty stale for me for a long time and while this isn't at the top of my list it would help.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy for them to do more with it, but I'm also pretty happy with the content that MK8 got. At this point a new game is all I want, and if it's modeled after MK8DX then so be it.

Brief aside....the real improvement I want for the next MK game is for Nintendo to actually have a system level chat and party function. I'm tired of having to use a second device and app. I'm tired of working out some awkard solution to hear my game sound and the voice chat sound without issue - my old solution was a set of tiny earbuds in my ears from the Switch, and a set of over-ears coming from the laptop or phone. Nintendo hasn't really been forced to talk about their garbage voice chat solution for a while, but when they were I couldn't stand how deliberately obtuse they were on the matter.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So would you agree, then, that the next Smash need not change anything?

As others have said on the thread, MK8 is 12 years old. MK8D is not really new. If you think they can just release the same game over and over again and people will buy it, then why has Smash done all that its done? That's what I'm saying. New stages, a crap ton of new characters that they're still adding in - for a game series that was always going to be wildly successful.

I'm not a Nintendo fan per se. Just an observation that there's a great disparity between the two in reception.

I agree with the point earlier about it being more a party game, and parties ain't happening right now.
you can just say you want new stuff in mario kart 8D, or a new mario kart game. no one would disagree with you. but your framing for your thread doesn't make sense. mario kart is probably more popular than it's ever been, and 8D (not even counting vanilla 8) is on its way to becoming the best selling title in the series.
the lack of updates/new content/new games, while annoying for fans, hasn't resulted in a decrease in popularity.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
How long will OP continue to ignore their weird claim of MK8D adding a story mode. I wonder.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Does Mario Kart 8 Deluxe have some sort of hidden story mode that I have been oblivious of for three years? Someone please tell me

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Mario Kart to just be "Mario" Kart, even if I would like to see expanded ways to play it. The MK8 guest stars are okay but only because they're treated as bonuses rather than the main focus.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
5k people watching Smash on Twitch right now.

300 watching MK.

My point still stands. And if they're selling so well, it makes even less sense not to try to exploit that.

Smash is still so popular after two years because they keep adding stuff to it.

Eshop charts right now : Europe Mario kart 8 deluxe: 11th.

Smash bros: not in the top 30.
People watching on twitch and how popular or successful a game is are not the same thing.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
So in response to the title question, they don't need to, but I wouldn't be opposed to them doing so.

That OP is a bit strange though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Saying that Smash Bros is more popular than Mario Kart is the best proof that you should leave the gaming bubble from time to time to talk to normal people.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen someone so wrong since Michael Patcher said Nintendo should scratch Switch and sell only Switch Lite...

Oct 27, 2017
... story mode?

Also, the next MK should definitely go back to the DD style or at least allow players to choose partners. Double dash was so good. I miss special items, as well

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I'm pretty sure he meant Battle Mode, but he's also so straight ahead on whatever this point is he has no idea what he's actually talking about.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be nice to see the next Mario Kart supported for a while longer and maybe a few crossover characters like Kirby yeah. It doesn't need that though, they could put out a sequel with minimal changes and it'd still sell like 15 million minimum.

Oct 25, 2017
Because, for SOME reason, he is conflating twitch viewership to...popularity?

As if people aren't just... playing Mario Kart. Anywhere around the world. And don't feel like streaming it.

Guys, MK11 just won fighting game of the year at the Game Awards. Yet it has less viewers than Runescape.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I just want Mario Kart 9. We're closing in on seven years without a new Mario Kart title, by far the longest between titles in the franchise's history.

And no, Mario Kart gacha edition doesn't count.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was gonna be about OP wanting Mario to get red shelled by Sephiroth.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if it would help someone like me who just generally dislikes Mario Kart's gameplay. I'd still play the odd race with friends as I do now, but darn, the gameplay simply isn't for me at all.

For everyone else, the game is still mad popular.

Glitter

Sep 20, 2020
Bad premise of OP aside, only real precedent is how Mario Kart DS had mission mode. Which is enjoyable for a game that had to have a solid single-player, but there's a reason the other games haven't bothered.

Double Dash's character-specific items would seem to cover the other demand. That's the one I've always gone back to for family multiplayer, and its speed and variety remain the best in the series IMO.

Like any of the series juggernauts Nintendo has, Mario Kart could become more complex without scaring away sales — it all depends on the system it comes out on. But I see no reason it will based on how the games have trended.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
By the way my 12 year comment earlier in the thread was about the fact that we're still probably 4 years away from a Switch successor.

Edit: And somehow calculating from 2012 in my mind and not 2014.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say while I don't expect us to see Mario Kart 9 any time this console generation, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't made a meaty expansion pack to capitalize on Mario Kart 8's evergreen sales. It feels like they could throw out a whole game's worth of new tracks, a few of the missing Mario Kart Tour characters, maybe a single player mission mode of some sorts, some kind of online event features like Smash/Splatoon has, and make a whole lot more money with Mario Kart on consoles without having to commit to a new game. So many of the important ongoing franchises that jumped over from Wii U to Switch have survived as ongoing service games like Splatoon (though Splatoon 2's content updates themselves are no more) and Smash Bros., yet Mario Kart has sort of avoided that entirely, even though it actually did get content updates during the Wii U.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
That would be interesting to see. They have been pretty conservative with characters in Mario kart. Have a feeling they wouldn't need to do much to get a lot of sales. Mario kart 8 was a pretty conservative update all things considered.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Does Mario Kart 8 Deluxe have some sort of hidden story mode that I have been oblivious of for three years? Someone please tell me
It's wild I unlocked it the other day using the Konami code on the right frame in a certain track. Mario is smoking and doing hard drugs, Luigi is starting his own small business, and Peach don't even get me started at her attempts at regicide.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Has MK waned in popularity this much that they don't find it worthwhile to do?
It's Nintendo's biggest seller, and MK8 will likely end up the best selling MK
5k people watching Smash on Twitch right now.

300 watching MK.

My point still stands. And if they're selling so well, it makes even less sense not to try to exploit that.

Smash is still so popular after two years because they keep adding stuff to it.
MK is by far, more popular than Smash. However, it includes a very different audience. The average Mario Kart player isn't going to be hyped by a character reveal trailer - they're not paying attention to that sort of thing.

MK8D introduced story mode which is a good start
This didn't happen
each character getting their own special carts, moves, and weapons rather than just the shells and lightning bolts of the old days.
They did this in Double-Dash

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ want them to expand the roster to other Nintendo characters mostly so we can get evenmore variety in the maps. I'd be happy if the next one still played the same.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Fighting game fans are much easier to milk with dlc characters. Racing game fans mostly want new levels.