• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Super Mario Kart, the OG SNES title, is one of those games that casual gamers who stopped gaming in their thirties will always recall when you bring up playing games. That was their jam. It has since been replaced as the multiplayer king of Nintendo titles by Smash. But it's still great fun. I have been curious why MK has just not gotten the same treatment as Smash (insert mr. krabs money dot gif here) when it was so able to draw in a lot of players in its hey day. MK8D was more like an expansion than a new entry into the series.

Imagine different game modes (MK8D introduced story mode which is a good start), a more destructive and action packed battle mode (think Rocket League with Mario characters) , each character getting their own special carts, moves, and weapons rather than just the shells and lightning bolts of the old days. Eventually, they can start filling out the character list the way they do with Smash Ultimate - which include all the absolutely hype and not-so-hype announcements surrounding them.

Has MK waned in popularity this much that they don't find it worthwhile to do?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Super Mario Kart, the OG SNES title, is one of those games that casual gamers who stopped gaming in their thirties will always recall when you bring up playing games. That was their jam. It has since been replaced as the multiplayer king of Nintendo titles by Smash. But it's still great fun. I have been curious why MK has just not gotten the same treatment as Smash (insert mr. krabs money dot gif here) when it was so able to draw in a lot of players in its hey day. MK8D was more like an expansion than a new entry into the series.

Has MK waned in popularity this much that they don't find it worthwhile to do?

Is this a troll thread?

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
Lol no, its a more universal game than smash which needs constant updates etc. but then its still not a chocobo racing no matter how much it sells (´༎ຶོρ༎ຶོ`)

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
So being the best selling game on the system is considered waning in popularity? This is why Nintendo fans get so disappointed all the time. Stop setting your expectations so unrealistically high.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I do think the next Mario Kart should reach outside of Mario and just to Nintendo in general for its roster and tracks but in general Mario Kart is doing fine. Hopefully Nintendo's next system will launch with Mario Kart 9.

Mario Kart is still king of Nintendo's multiplayer games, it has the widest appeal, it just doesn't have a portion of its audience in a weird bubble like Smash.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I do think the next Mario Kart should reach outside of Mario and just to Nintendo in general for its roster and tracks but in general Mario Kart is doing fine. Hopefully Nintendo's next system will launch with Mario Kart 9.
Be careful what you wish for, they may just stick to their in-house properties (plus Kirby).

Either way, I wouldn't mind, but it's not like Mario Kart needs to.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Kart definitely needs an adventure mode, proper Switch version (not a Wii U port), and a huge roster that spans the whole Nintendo IP catalog.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Mario Kart already started going the " Nintendo Kart" route, but I wouldn't mind an "Everyone is here" for MK9.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
It feels like mk8 came out on the wii U a lifetime ago. Game is old as hell at this point. Pretty curious what they'll do with the next one.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Mario Kart has not waned in popularity, but it will never get the kind of hype for new characters that Smash does. There's no fundamental difference between drivers in the same weight group in Mario Kart. They all play exactly the same, and so any new characters added are purely asethetic. In Smash, each new character means a new playstyle, new strategies, a new stage, a new meta, etc.
Unless Mario Kart is fundamentally changed from its core, it will never garner that excitement over character reveals

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I kind of wish Mario Kart had sustained updates. Would be nice to get a new track every 4 - 5 months.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Nothing says "we need to completely overhaul the way we approach this series" like 30 million copies sold.

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart is still more popular than Smash, not to take anything away from Smash for becoming a hugely popular fighting game.

But I would love to see a Mario Kart Ultimate that has all Mk characters, tracks, etc. tho balancing it for double dash might be hard. They likely wouldn't keep the 2 player mechanic, but instead have the courses and content .

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's time for that like half a decade ago.

3/4 of the drivers in Mario Kart 8 are absolute trash tier "who the fuck wants to play as them" garbage.

The dlc showed the future direction.

OP
OP
FrostweaveBandage

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold 29 million units and is the best selling Nintendo Switch game.

FWIW Smash has sold 21 million units.

5k people watching Smash on Twitch right now.

300 watching MK.

My point still stands. And if they're selling so well, it makes even less sense not to try to exploit that.

Smash is still so popular after two years because they keep adding stuff to it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Be careful what you wish for, they may just stick to their in-house properties (plus Kirby).

Either way, I wouldn't mind, but it's not like Mario Kart needs to.
This is pretty much what I was thinking anyway. I don't want to see people demanding Master Chief and Goku in Mario Kart 10 years from now.
That will make it like at least 12 years since Mario Kart 8...

The pain.
I feel you, but if it's as good/better than MK8D *and* a new system gets to launch with a brand spanking new Mario Kart it would be awesome. Though I also understand the downside of having waited so long for a new MK only to then have it locked behind a new console purchase.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My point still stands. And if they're selling so well, it makes even less sense not to try to exploit that.

what point? MK is outselling smash by a large margin. it doesn't need to catch up with it in any sense.
twitch is not the only important factor, you need to look into the sales of both games. who cares how many people are watching MK on twitch.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bored of mario kart 8. Its been so long with the same tracks, i dont give a shit if 8 is selling super well i want more tracks.... at least more DLC :(
9 Please!!!

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017

300 watching MK.

How do you get more popular than most popular nintendo game not named Wii sports?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna dogpile on the pile of dogs here by saying it's funny to argue Mario Kart needs the "Smash" treatment when a basic port not only sold more, but is Switch's most popular first party title. Twitch views don't mean shit because Nintendo's made it clear it only matters when marketing [insert new, unreleased game here].

Using Twitch as an example, something Nintendo only cares about to censor Project M and to market new games, is kind of silly. They don't look at that as a driving force at all.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I can't believe the latest entry is still a 2014 game. We used to get a new Mario Kart every 3 years or so, and didn't even know how good we had it.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

300 watching MK.

Yes, people watching years old games in Twitch. The perfect metric of popularity.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect we'll see more ongoing support for the next Mario Kart similar to what they're doing with Tour or even Splatoon.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

300 watching MK.

Oh God, you're doubling down with completely irrelevant statistics.

Smash is watched more on Twitch because it's a fighting game. There will never be a big market for kart racers on Twitch.

You don't seem to be getting what people are saying.

Mario Kart is currently more popular than Smash. Right now. At this moment. Despite the fact that Smash keeps adding stuff.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is pretty much what I was thinking anyway. I don't want to see people demanding Master Chief and Goku in Mario Kart 10 years from now.
This is what I mean by "in-house".

EoHss7WXMAAL6bP

Refer to the section above "Subsidiaries", though Dark Samus, Diddy, & King K. Rool would also be fair game since they're fully Nintendo-owned.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

300 watching MK.

smash is still popular because it has a competitive scene that racing games (especially arcade racers) simply don't have. That's the only real distinction. Mario Kart is still massive with a much broader audience I'm not even sure what you are asking for here. Games can occupy different spaces and lanes.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Nintendo's "treatment" of the franchise drives its popularity. Smash is just more popular than Mario Kart is, for a number of reasons. This is a case of them prioritizing what generates the most sales and gamer attention, which is exactly what they should do.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I can't believe the latest entry is still a 2014 game. We used to get a new Mario Kart every 3 years or so, and didn't even know how good we had it.

I know variety is good but dang... it's the last Nintendo racing series left, one of the few racing series left period.

Smash is just more popular than Mario Kart is, for a number of reasons.

Smash isn't more popular than Mario Kart is and hasn't been in decades.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'd love for Mario Kart to take cues from Diddy Kong Racing and have a proper adventure mode.

Even better if you're adding Nintendo universe crossovers into that mix.

Anyway to answer the question - I do think it's really weird that MK8DX never got at least another DLC pack with new tracks. It would have printed so much money! My best guess is that Mario Kart 9 on the Switch was the plan at first and that's why they didn't...but then MK8DX stayed so evergreen in sales that it no longer seemed necessary to launch a sequel.

OP
OP
FrostweaveBandage

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
what point? MK is outselling smash by a large margin. it doesn't need to catch up with it in any sense.
twitch is not the only important factor, you need to look into the sales of both games. who cares how many people are watching MK on twitch.

So would you agree, then, that the next Smash need not change anything?

As others have said on the thread, MK8 is 12 years old. MK8D is not really new. If you think they can just release the same game over and over again and people will buy it, then why has Smash done all that its done? That's what I'm saying. New stages, a crap ton of new characters that they're still adding in - for a game series that was always going to be wildly successful.

I'm not a Nintendo fan per se. Just an observation that there's a great disparity between the two in reception.

I agree with the point earlier about it being more a party game, and parties ain't happening right now.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The Smash treatment is probably what would make me interested in a hypothetical Mario Kart 9. After CTR released, I simply can't go back to MK8, it's too slow.