• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Nah sekiro loooa amazing. Are you really comparing sekiro to linear FPS game and Dark souls 1/2?? Play dark souls 1 again and see how much progress From has made in the graphics department hell I'm amazed it looks this good considering I didn't think Bloodborne was that pretty. Joke thread.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
their performance needs to be better on consoles. I doubt they'd be able to pump out as many game a they do if they invested in better visuals.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I think people are mixing art direction and graphics. They are outdated at this point. Graphics, that is.
Exactly this. Look at fine details and the pixelations and jagged edges really show. It's not graphically impressive by any means, and many other games are miles ahead in that department. And despite that they still have big performance issues, so it really is a case of they're not good, and have never been good at, optimization of their games.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
But they already do. They updated their ilumination & AA solutions for this game...

If this is what it takes for them to keep it small and release 3-4 games per generation, so be it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think so, but not so much the purely rendering aspect of it as much as its performance and scale. They also have some lighting issues, most notably specular leaking absolutely everywhere in DS3 iirc.

Also, lipsync sure would be sweet. Is it a thing in Sekiro yet?
Nope, the talking looks hilariously bad

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not seeing any backfire. Sekiro looks substantially worse graphically than pretty much any third party or first party game in the last 2 years with a big budget. Hell DMC5 almost looks a gen ahead of it
hahaha no.

The character modelling? Yeah, far ahead of it. Level design and modelling?

Sekiro's is next gen compared to DMCV's.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
All of their games this generation look stunning. Performance hiccups aside, their art direction is second to none, and Sekiro incorporates a lot of more modern techniques like temporal anti aliasing that eliminates the shimmering found in BB and DS3. Plus these games have very complex geometry that can be seen from miles away and unlike most games it's not just for show; if you can see it, you can go there. From the highest point of Ashina Castle you can see a good chunk of the world.

That's not to say that there isn't room for improvement, but they are proof of how brilliant design and intelligent use of scale, perspective and attention to detail can go a long way.

I definitely prefer the look of their games to certain big name high budget games that are impressive on a technical level and look really expensive but end up being bland and samey.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
they always matter and will always do.. Its a visual medium, you need to convey the information you want to the player.
I agree 100%. But it's something I have seen a lot here and in the old place over the years. Some people go crazy about graphics in certain situations, only to downplay them in others.

Nov 23, 2017
User Banned (1 Week) - Hostility towards another member, accumulated infractions
My topic was a question. It can't backfire, kid.
Yeah, you're not worth anyone's time. It's obvious the topic is about your opinion, and not a question.

But please continue to pretend no one is telling you you're wrong so you can pretend your dick is big or something and sekiro sucks.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
"Graphics don't matter. Except when they do."

Okay, what exactly is the criteria here then? Cause at this point it seems like any examples presented is going to have some reason against it.

OP is claiming that Sekiro is an outdated looking game and that From needs to invest (spend money) in graphics tech.

Not only does Sekiro look improved from BB/DS3 in many areas, he made poor comparisons. Horizon is a much better comparison and one main reason horizon is the visual showcase it is is because of its budget.

This is more of an opinion, but I think Sekiro is the better looking game in terms of art direction. It has a visual identity that Horizon kind of lacks, even with its impressive technical aspects.

Oct 29, 2017
Sekiro honestly feels almost like a generational leap technically compared to their previous titles, at least on PC. Not sure what you're on about.

Baha

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All of their games this generation look stunning. Performance hiccups aside, their art direction is second to none, and Sekiro incorporates a lot of more modern techniques like temporal anti aliasing that eliminates the shimmering found in BB and DS3. Plus these games have very complex geometry that can be seen from miles away and u like most games, if you can't see it, you can go there. From the highest point of Ashina Castle you can see a good chunk of the world.

That's not to say that there isn't room for improvement, but they are proof of how brilliant design and intelligent use of scale, perspective and attention to detail can go a long way.

I definitely prefer the look of their games to certain big name high budget games that are impressive on a technical level and look really expensive but end up being bland and same.

This is exactly how I feel. I'd rather they pour more time into optimization than trying to compete graphically with other game dev studios that have larger coffers to spend.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, it doesn't look any better than Bloodborne or DS3 which IMO didn't look Drastically better than the last gen titles...all things considered.
You're crazy. Bloodborne and Dark Souls III were both a massive step up from the last gen From Software games. The geometry in the environments is way more complex and there is so much more detail throughout the levels. The lighting, character models, texture work... so much better.

They do need to work on their tech but not from a graphical standpoint. They need to figure out how to make a game with proper frame pacing. Their art direction is incredible and their tech does not let that direction down one bit in terms of fidelity.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
OP is claiming that Sekiro is an outdated looking game and that From needs to invest (spend money) in graphics tech.

Not only does Sekiro look improved from BB/DS3 in many areas, he made poor comparisons. Horizon is a much better comparison and one main reason horizon is the visual showcase it is is because of its budget.

This is more of an opinion, but I think Sekiro is the better looking game in terms of art direction. It has a visual identity that Horizon kind of lacks, even with its impressive technical aspects.
Everything I've seen of Sekiro indeed looks to be a notable step up compared to From's previous efforts. It is something I hope continues to improve as they get bigger and bigger budgets for their games. Admittedly, I was hoping for more tho considering Activision backing em.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I agree 100%. But it's something I have seen a lot here and in the old place over the years. Some people go crazy about graphics in certain situations, only to downplay them in others.
Graphics can be more or less important to the same person across different games.

I want a big budget game like Horizon to look good, because that's part of what it's trying to do. The impressive graphics there are part of what I'm buying the game for.

I could not give less of a shit how graphically impressive Downwell is because I'm not playing that game to be impressed by its good graphics. Artstyle sure, but not graphics.

People don't need to have the exact same wants and focus on every single game. They aren't robots.

neonxaos

Oct 29, 2017
I agree that the engine needs some work in the performance department, but the art design is generally very good, and I'm surprised that there is so little focus on the incredible animation work. Everything flows and reacts so well. There are flashier games out there, but Sekiro is doing some advanced stuff.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Not seeing any backfire. Sekiro looks substantially worse graphically than pretty much any third party or first party game in the last 2 years with a big budget. Hell DMC5 almost looks a gen ahead of it

Not sure if you've actually played DMC5.

DMC5 does have character models that you might argue that look ''a gen ahead'' but the levels themselves looks noticeably worse then Sekrio from both an art and tehnical perspective.

Not to mention they're diffrent games built diffrently. Even that good fidelty does come with a price since DMC5 has constant loading screens for the most basic things like loading up the shop or going form cutscenes to actual gameplay.

While in Sekiro the only loading screens that you get is when you first load up the game and when you die/port between the idols.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
DF just did a video showing the huge jumps in visual quality between their games. You're wrong OP.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Everything I've seen of Sekiro indeed looks to be a notable step up compared to From's previous efforts. It is something I hope continues to improve as they get bigger and bigger budgets for their games. Admittedly, I was hoping for more tho considering Activision backing em.

Fair enough. I just think the From games, even on console are far from ugly. From chooses to divert more time and effort to art direction over visual fidelity and I honestly prefer that.

If anything, as others have pointed out, performance is the main technical piece from should focus more on.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, the game runs amazingly well on PC.

It seems like their games may be CPU bottlenecked and the processors on these current consoles are notoriously poor. There's room for improvement but at some point the current hardware will always prove to be a barrier.

From a pure visuals standpoint (as in, looking at screenshots and not the game in motion on a console) their games look amazing IMO. Serkiro is beautiful. Bloodborne has one of the most consistently impressive artstyles I've ever seen in gaming.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Horizon is actually a poor comparison since it is a much larger game which is open world and has many dynamic systems in place that Sekiro lacks. But I guess it's a good example to show how much better a far more complex game looks than FromSofts output.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Horizon is actually a poor comparison since it is a much larger open world game with many dynamic systems in place that Sekiro lacks. But I guess it's a good example to show how much better a far more complex game looks than FromSofts output.

Horizon is not a worse comparison than DMCV, which is very literally as linear a game can be without being on-rails.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I just think the From games, even on console are far from ugly. From chooses to divert more time and effort to art direction over visual fidelity and I honestly prefer that.

If anything, as others have pointed out, performance is the main technical piece from should focus more on.
I think they need to work on improving both, graphics and performance. Hopefully next-gen and bigger budgets for them will help them achieve that.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
the tech clearly isn't a focus with these games, but i think sekiro looks pretty nice overall.

Oct 29, 2017
After a rough start, I'm now enjoying my play through of Sekiro. I'm not really enjoying the visuals though. To be honest, it doesn't look any better than Bloodborne or DS3 which IMO didn't look Drastically better than the last gen titles...all things considered.
I think you need to go back and play their last gen titles. DS2 looked downright ugly at parts.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I think they need to work on improving both, graphics and performance. Hopefully next-gen and bigger budgets for them will help them achieve that.

Id absolutely not object to them
Improving visual fidelity but that's much lower on the list of improvements From should focus on for me. I still think Sekiro is downright stunning in some areas, granted that's on PC.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I hope they will nail the constant 60 fps with the CPU upgrade of PS5. Sekiro would immensely benefit from it with the parrying timings... I am happy that they got the aliasing solution in place now, image quality is good enough for me now.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Id absolutely not object to them
Improving visual fidelity but that's much lower on the list of improvement From should focus on for me. I still think Sekiro is downright stunning in some areas, granted that's on PC.
Art direction goes a long way, and as I said earlier From's art direction is top notch. All the more reason I want to see the graphics boosted for them.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Not all games need to chase after graphics tyvm

Especially not when the environment design outdoes most games no matter the graphics.
This.

It's getting ridiculous. AAA graphics won't be applied to every game across the board due to a myriad of reasons, and no game should be judged as inferior if it just doesn't look as good as another game.

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
I do not think you have played blood borne or last gen games lately because Sekiro is miles better than any last gen game and is a big step up from blood borne.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My only complaint would be too many areas that are just pitch black and I literally can't play those areas during the day. Give me some candles in the environment or something. Some areas have them and then others are just voids. Otherwise their graphics and art design are great and suit the games perfectly.

Nov 14, 2017
The idea that Sekiro doesn't look much better than last gen is absurd. They have similar art style sure; they are both semi-fantastical representations of real world medieval periods, but on a technical level Sekiro and Bloodborne are clearly beyond Demon's or Dark Souls.