• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I have the feeling I belong to a minority of people because I generally don't adapt to changes I don't like in some games. For example I am skipping the next Pokémon game because of choices regarding the pokédex, or that I might nit get the next Diablo because of the always online requirement.

Yet I feel most people "go with theflow" and it seems to be described as the way to go. Do you experience same situation?

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
All of this is subjective, so no. If it's a dealbreaker to me for whatever reason, I skip it.

It may not be for other people, and that's their prerogative. But they'll probably have a line in the sand elsewhere that I wouldn't consider anyway.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think everyone has a different threshold and a different breaking point.

My deal-breaker usually has to do with character designs. If I don't like the character designs, or even if there's only one egregiously bad design while the rest are fine, I would rather skip the game than try to get over it.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Depends on the game and how much I want to play it I guess? Reviews for Death Stranding made me wait for a sale, however I've bought games with worse reviews because I cared more for the series.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Whether some specific change is a dealbreaker or not is innately individual and entirely up to you. I don't see what's weird about that principle.

I skipped out on Starcraft 2 because of the region locked multiplayer. Didn't seem like anyone else really cared at the time, but it mattered to that point for me because I mostly enjoyed playing the original with transatlantic friends and was expecting to do the same again, so that one thing became such a mind-boggling regression I simply could not ignore.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a ton of stuff to play. You shouldn't feel like you have to settle for something if there are other things that you feel fulfill what you want from your entertainment.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the feeling I belong to a minority of people because I generally don't adapt to changes I don't like in some games. For example I am skipping the next Pokémon game because of choices regarding the pokédex, or that I might nit get the next Diablo because of the always online requirement.

Yet I feel most people "go with theflow" and it seems to be described as the way to go. Do you experience same situation?

People went absolutely bonkers over:

Battlefront 2
Fallout 76
Diablo: Immortal Announcement

I loved both games and *cannot* wait till I can play Diablo on my phone.

Yet I saw people swear off those franchises because of those games.

/shrug

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Each person values different things in each game. What for you may be something unforgivable for the rest may be something completely irrelevant.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think it's weird. There are unlimited great games to play out there, might as well play one that you're more happy with.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Right now though I'm so swamped with games I'm interested in that I'll use any minor reason to at least postpone picking up one game over another. It's the only way to narrow it down.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's weird you thought this was some unique thing and isn't something tons of people do all the time. Y'all overthink things too much on here

Oct 28, 2017
It comes down to trust for me. Example, no matter what Retro Studios decides to do, I am buying the game as they have earn that type of trust considering their history. Same with Yacht Club and Playground Studios.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is or isn't a deal breaker to someone is always subjective.

Like for your two examples neither are concessions to me, much less deal breakers. I'm a very casual Pokémon player so I don't care about the lineup as someone who'd just beat the story/elite 4 (or whatever the equivalent is in this one) and walk away if I end up getting this installment. For Diablo, a lot of the games I play are online only, so I'm used to it and have reliable internet, and I mostly only enjoy that series when playing online with friends rather than single player anyway.

Okapi

May 31, 2019
It wasn't always the case but nowadays I'm really picky about what video games I'll buy/play. For example I might skip games with either lots of missables items, many branching narratives, a lack of female characters overall, etc. I know it's often not a big deal but I'm not going to invest my time in a game where I know I'll get frustrated later on.

Palidoozy

Concept Artist at Maxis Texas/EA
Verified
Sep 17, 2019
Austin, Texas
I mean, all games are kind of luxury purchases, so I think there's not really a problem with swearing off a series for whatever reason you feel like. As long as you don't act like a jerk towards other people for not caring as strongly about it.

I refuse to buy Kingdom Come: Deliverance over the head dev's shenanigans prior/during the infamous -gate. My fiance bought it. I didn't discourage him from doing so, I just told him the reasons I wasn't super into it and let him make his own choice (he sadly wound up not liking it all that much).

There's plenty of games out there and you don't owe anything to a studio, so might as well just play what you like!

TheGrue

Oct 25, 2017
I don't look at games for what they don't have, but instead for what they do have and make my purchasing decision on that. I guess I'm more of a glass is half full type of person. So for the Pokemon example, I don't care that it is missing pokemon. I'm more interested in the new features they've added.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I skip things all the time because of what may seem like small gripes to someone else. There are too many other great games to play so I don't care. For instance, I didn't get Rage 2 when I saw how you have to go scavenger-hunting for checklist items at every camp you take over. Avalanche did the same thing in Mad Max and it was annoying as all hell and made me stop playing it. I can't force myself not to get the stuff when there is a checklist on the screen bugging me. AssCreed Odyssey did this better by letting you use your drone bird to highlight all collectibles in the area on the UI very quickly.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
All of this is subjective, so no. If it's a dealbreaker to me for whatever reason, I skip it.

It may not be for other people, and that's their prerogative. But they'll probably have a line in the sand elsewhere that I wouldn't consider anyway.
Yup.

There are deal breakers for me with smart phones, maybe T.V.s too.

Games are no different.

Destiny being online only was one, I got fooled with The Division. Online only is my deal breaker, I think. I don't play Overwatch, Seige, etc. Now...I did like playing Black Ops 4, but it wasn't my profile, lol.

I rarely play online only games, I'm usually getting them for my kids.

JooJ

Oct 27, 2017
Well games aren't free for me to make concessions.

I'll pay full price if I think it's worth it.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
The idea that anybody would even think that skipping a product because you aren't that into it is weird is honestly kind of harrowing.

This idea that purchasing a product is default feels like it's becoming way more prevalent.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
To each their own. If something bothers you so much that you don't want to spend money on that product, that's your choice. If it doesn't, that's your choice too.

I'm not gonna spend money on something that bothers me, that's for sure.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I usually just skip something because I'm not interested in it overall, don't like the visuals, or don't want to support the creators/project for whatever reason. The details of gameplay mechanics, character designs, music, etc. I'm likely to not be aware of because I don't dedicate time to researching them.

If you have very specific tastes and always find reasons to skip different media I'll consider it nit-picking, but I don't actually care because it's your time/money.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Skipping out on a game you would probablly enjoy because of one or two contentious issues derived from 'reading about it', and not playing it . . . seems a tad overboard.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Not at all. Why would it be? You're either willing to make those concessions or not. Generally speaking, there might be some minor ones for which you probably miss out an otherwise awesome game, but that's your pick. So if you skip a Pokemon game because of the Pokedex, well, that's your loss (or isn't it?), I guess.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Skipping out on a game you would probablly enjoy because of one or two contentious issues derived from 'reading about it', and not playing it . . . seems a tad overboard.
I disagree, there are currently so many (good) games coming out that i can be picky with what i play.
If I like a game becuase of certain features and the dev chooses to change any of them for worse then i'll probably be skipping it. I won't waste time trying a game where msot of my thoughts will be "this would be so much better if it used the old system".

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Not at all. Games have a specific audience much of the time, and I don't think it's unreasonable to skip a game if it doesn't interest you or if it makes changes you're not into.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
These are the dream days for gamers, there are tons and tons of amazing games, far more than most people can play. So feel free to choose a different game if you aren't happy with a change in a series you've previously liked, even if it's a small one.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Whenever there is a thread about Game 3 was worst than the prequel or anything like that I just can't understand the reasoning. Even though they are a series, they are not supposed to be the same, to maintain everything similar. They will make changes, some will be cool, some won't, and it is ok.

I remember reading an interview about Civilization, that they would usually keep 1/3 of the mechanics of the previous game, then 1/3 of the mechanics would be expanded and the other 1/3 would be new mechanics. That sound like a good plan for long-term improvement of a franchise, keeping it fresh but accessible. So when I play a game I never compare it with the previous one or with any other game, I just play it and try to enjoy it. If I dont enjoy it I stop playing, but that has nothing to do with 'is it as good as the previous' or 'I miss that mechanic...'.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I'll try whatever if it interests me. If you don't like a change, that's perfectly fine.

Some people are skipping Yakuza 7 cuz turn-based but that doesn't bother me at all.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Everyone has their own reasons to be interested or not interested in buying a game, you aren't weird for having your own criteria upon which you choose whether you buy a game or not.

In fact it is pretty normal, if we didn't all have criteria upon we judge if we want to purchase something, we'd be basically burning money on stuff we don't want which sounds really weird in comparison.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game and how much I want to play it I guess? Reviews for Death Stranding made me wait for a sale, however I've bought games with worse reviews because I cared more for the series.

Yup. It's a situational thing. If a game does something extremely stupid that I can't forgive, I skip it. Whatever.

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
Nah, I'm open to change, I actually enjoy it when (games at least) switch things up

For better or worse, its a new experience and I'd usually be interested to see how it turns out

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, there was that FFVII thread.

People will skip things for certain reasons, and each reason will be different.

If nobody skipped any games, then we'd all be broke, always.

Widdowmaker

Oct 31, 2017
Great Britain
I happily skip games, and avoid entire studios or publishers, if something has happened which I disagree with. There are always more games for me to play.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
It should be normal, there's so much good stuff to play that skipping things I don't agree with is rarely any great hardship.

That said I think you're right in some regards, masses of people will still buy WWE 2k20 at launch despite its many issues and the likelihood they'd be better off sticking with last year's game.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone is different in what they're willing to deal with.

So no, it's not strange. That doesn't mean you won't get people trying and failing to understand why you won't play a game. I'm guilty of it myself.