• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's a show centered entirely around children's card games.

I don't think I need to say anything else.

Nov 17, 2017
I'd say it's more about how everything revolves around a trading card game.

Ironically, the guns being taking out of the 4Kids localization makes it slightly less ridiculous. At least in a universe where guns don't exist I can believe that no one just decided to shoot Pegasus or Marik. (Yes I do know about Bandit Keith.)

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yu-Gi-Oh before it became about Duel Monsters was something that was worth taking seriously. But it evolved into a kid's series about people taking a card game way too seriously. Like honestly, there's a whole season or two about how they play card games on motorcycles. It ain't friggin' Schindler's List.

Bakrider

Oct 31, 2017
It will never cease to amaze me how butchered the 5DS dub is compared to the sub.

like the dub destroys or outright removes key character moments.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
This is the primary reason. The secondary reason is its a super srs show about a damn card game.

The only thing dumber is Beyblades, but that was already laughed out of the room over a decade ago. (disclosure: I owned multiple beyblades growing up)

Funnily enough, Bayblade is still around and still making a LOT of money. New anime, too

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Battle City still one of the goat anime arcs
Lower Tier on the GOAT rating but still up there

With such contenders as Chimera Ant and Dark Tournament

crimsonECHIDNA

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I mean, yeah Little Kuriboh definitely played a big role in the modern reputation of the series, but the premise and character designs alone would've guaranteed the series would've been mocked in hindsight, with or without his influence.

Sep 14, 2019
One of my teachers would watch it in the afternoons before going home. She found it silly and would make fun of it.

Teacher: "Tea is so annoying. She keeps wondering if Yugi changes when he duels. Like, no shit Tea, he grows a foot taller every time duels..."

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
If that was the case, DragonBall Super would had flooped.

I think Yu-gi-oh has other problems that make it hard to take seriously...

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
There was no way for YuGiOh to have ever been taken seriously.

The 4Kids dub got its notoriety from it's censorship, gets a life line by the abridged series, and has since looped around to still being oddly appreciated even in this day and age. And this isn't even to mention that they are still keeping the same voice actors both for movies and for live duels and reaaaaally lean into how silly all of this on paper.

Yeah, I guess you could watch the sub, which some people did around that time. But it still ends up being just unintentionally hilarious at this point when you have all of this magic and later post-apocalyptic shit going on about fucking card games.

Like, I can't imagine any dialogue in any language make this sound serious when this dude's backdrop is "DUEL ME IN A CARD GAME"

Edit:

And... nope, it's still dumb!

Last edited:

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
The dub was crazy before the abridged series even came out. Also, it's a shonen that turned into a merchandise show, so it's taken as seriously as, say, Power Rangers.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I mean I don't think it's anything like Beyblade level of dumbness and should be seen as any other shonen, not some super serious show is what I meant

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i like yugioh but i mean the card game obviously took over and at that point you either enjoy the card game or you dont

and i think creating drama around a real collectible card game that exists is pretty difficult

Last edited:

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
I think i just need to paste this here... despite this shirt being a YGO Abridged shirt, the entire line on the front of the shirt was straight up taken verbatem from the original show:

shirt_catapult_LRG_1_.jpg

... it was also one of the best selling YGO Abridged shirts YGO Abridged ever had... even a lot to people at cons who had never seen the Abridged Series before at all! ;)

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I don't take it seriously because of the hair
my hair is telling me to tell you that you should watch what you say
4Kids butchered the majority of the serious moments in Yugioh.
this is the real answer. if it wasn't censorship, it was the constant commercial breaks.

the final duel between atem and yugi was frustrating to watch dubbed since there were so many goddamn breaks in each episode

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean I don't think it's anything like Beyblade level of dumbness and should be seen as any other shonen, not some super serious show is what I meant
The show where a dude literally threatened to kill himself if he lost a card game and where the start of the story's conflict was an oldman being sent to the hospital as a result of losing that same card game to a teenager. And where the script by my knowledge NEVER points out how silly the premise is.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing. It's not always easy to follow the logic of super specific universe rules. Like, this was a series that frequently failed to setup the rules of the game, and even when they did, broke them constantly. This isn't like some dudes punching each other and some dude manages the best punches. That shit is easily to follow. When you're in this made up hierarchy and don't even follow that hierarchy a lot, of course it's gonna seem silly.

The more specific you shonen bullshit is, the more it's gonna seem silly to people that haven't bought in.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Used to love it as a kid! The battles always seemed so complicated and ingenious...looking back, it's some simple shit.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
It's much more enjoyable to play up the laughs than attempt to take it seriously.

I saw DSoD both dubbed and subbed, and I liked the dub showing quite a bit more.
When I tried to watch the vrains sub early on, I lost interest due to how boring it was.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
If it's a genuinely good show, the abridged series wouldn't hurt it.
I watched DBZ abridged before I watched the actual show (yeah I know, I was 30 years behind the rest of the world) and I still really enjoyed the actual show.
Abridged is still my favorite version though ;)

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Yu-Gi-Oh is the reason Yu-Gi-Oh is not taken seriously

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the fact that the manga creator didn't really understand how to make a card game that makes sense and so the real card game got actual rules that differed from the show where the key to victory was just bullshitting probably played a big part too. But honestly, I'm not sure even the original manga was meant to be taken completely seriously, even before the focus shifted to the card game. I mean you have an arc where Kaiba makes Yugi go through a death themed amusement park, including an electric chair ride and a maze with an actual serial killer trying to kill the cast lol. Or that time where Mokuba tried challenging Yugi to russian roulette with food

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yu-Gi-Oh before it became about Duel Monsters was something that was worth taking seriously. But it evolved into a kid's series about people taking a card game way too seriously. Like honestly, there's a whole season or two about how they play card games on motorcycles. It ain't friggin' Schindler's List.

Schindler's Deck about saving the Jews from the Nazi's using a card game.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I never really watched it, but I do remember catching it on TV one day and being put off by how outrageously deep and booming dub Yugi's voice was. Didn't fit the character at all.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the season zero stuff is amazing, but it's not really any less absurd than the card game stuff, and that's a big part of why it's fun. And 5Ds early stuff is probably the best series has ever been. Absurdity isn't a problem for Yugioh, it's honestly the series strength (this is part of why Vrain's ended up being shit)